PDA

View Full Version : yet another Pit Bull attack!

oumartin
1/25/2006, 11:26 PM
a two year old in n.e. oklahoma was attacked by a pit bull.
It sure seems anytime there is an attack on someone its a pit bull.

or is it just my hatred of that particular dog.

I had a run in with a pit bull back in 2001 while living in bartlesville. I had my then 5 year old son outside with me and we were in a little vacant lot playing with his radio control bigfoot and Grave digger when a mentally retarded young man brings out his older brothers pit pull. he immediately lets the dog off the leash and the dog starts for us. I pick up my kid and finally get it through the kids head to get the dog back on the leash. Those couple minutes run through my mind almost every day and thinking of what could have been. I went to the dogs owner and expressed my displeasure and it was the same thing. they are the sweetest dogs but they get a bad rap. well, this one happened to be calm enuff that day to not attack but it sure makes me wonder

Norman Sooner
1/25/2006, 11:34 PM
Although i totally agree that the pit bull is a very dangerous animal with aggresions that can turn on a dime....Id be confident in saying that there are tons of attacks by dogs each day and that the whole reporting of pit bull attacks is a phase that the media is jumping all over..Every time someone gets attacked by a pit bull its gonna be on the news these days..

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2006, 11:36 PM
Why does everyone always blame the dog? :O :texan: ;)

Penguin
1/25/2006, 11:40 PM
It's not the dog that kills kids, it's the teeth.

bigdsooner
1/26/2006, 12:00 AM
i dont know what to think...my family has had 6 or 7 pit bulls over the last 20 years, my dad had 2 and they were great dogs. we have alot of kids in our family and we've never had one turn on any of us. my sister has the only 2 left now, the oldest one i would trust with any of my kids, the younger one is a red nose pit...i hate this dog, she has never tried anything, but she's crazy, i dont trust her and i dont let my kids go over there without me or my wife. im alot more cautious around pit bulls now than i used to be

olevetonahill
1/26/2006, 12:06 AM
Although i totally agree that the pit bull is a very dangerous animal with aggresions that can turn on a dime....Id be confident in saying that there are tons of attacks by dogs each day and that the whole reporting of pit bull attacks is a phase that the media is jumping all over..Every time someone gets attacked by a pit bull its gonna be on the news these days..
I will agree with you about the # of dog attacks
But when a PIT attacks some one is gonna get seriously hurt . I also say they are very great animals , Just not worth the risk of having one .

soonerscuba
1/26/2006, 12:32 AM
From everything I've heard, and sorry if I offend anyone is that pit bulls are naturally aggresive, and the type of people that generally own them nuture this behavior, i.e. f'in hillbillies.

achiro
1/26/2006, 12:38 AM
The main reason pits are such a problem is that many of the people that have been attracted to the breed are for the wrong reasons. Those "breeding programs" have created a much different dog than the pit of even 20 years ago. Sad but true.

CrimsonandCreamForever
1/26/2006, 01:49 AM
Part of the reason is the lineage of the breed, which of course were originally bred for fighting, but a lot of it has to do with how the dog is raised. Being a pit bull owner myself, I may have a biased opinion, but everything I've read as far as raising a pit bull says that no matter how well it behaves it it's "normal" environment, never let it off the leash out in public, especially when other dogs or new people are around. This seems like common sense to me, but, alas, way too many people are lacking in that department.

yermom
1/26/2006, 06:08 AM
Part of the reason is the lineage of the breed, which of course were originally bred for fighting, but a lot of it has to do with how the dog is raised. Being a pit bull owner myself, I may have a biased opinion, but everything I've read as far as raising a pit bull says that no matter how well it behaves it it's "normal" environment, never let it off the leash out in public, especially when other dogs or new people are around. This seems like common sense to me, but, alas, way too many people are lacking in that department.

this is probably a good idea for any dog...

http://speeddreams.net/online/dog_bites.wmv

Norm In Norman
1/26/2006, 08:36 AM
I hear that the number of attacks from pit bulls is probably way less than other common breeds (like labs or whatever), but when put bull attacks it is going to be a lot more brutal than other breeds.

We had a rottweiler growing up named Lucky. During the day while my dad's mechanic shop was open, everybody loved Lucky and played with him. He loved the attention. If he thought you were stealing something though, you weren't going to get out of the shop. And forget about trying to walk to our house after hours - it just wasn't going to happen.

Another weird thing about him is he knew a dishonest person before they turned into the driveway. He'd start barking when they were a quarter of a mile away and wouldn't let those people out of his sight. He did this to people we knew were thieves.

Best dog there ever was.

Sooner_Bob
1/26/2006, 08:53 AM
I found this MMWR article on the subject.

ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Publications/mmwr/wk/mm4621.pdf

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2006, 09:14 AM
I'm no pit bull apologist, but I rather think it is the fault of the owner. Many people have dogs and have no clue how to handle them or how to have them behave. Just watch the Dog Whisperer! He has many pit bulls and other breeds and they don't act like that...

Just saying. Dogs are not family and need to be handled as a pack animal.