PDA

View Full Version : How to rile up your classmates in a diversity class.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2006, 07:41 PM
Call somebody wierd.

Yep. I did it. Nobody in the class mind you........but calling ANYBODY weird in a diversity class is a no-no.

My heterosexually challenged peruvian instructor was saying how impressed he was with Angelina Jolie working with UNICEF. I said she was doing a good thing but she was still weird. Heh. I can get a class of diaper dandy, never been married, had kids, or a real job, liberal instructor suck-ups to go from ZERO to GROAN in about 5 seconds.

None of them thought she was weird, though none would say they would carry a vile of someone elses blood around their neck either.

I may or may not be a troll here........but there is no doubt I'm one on the campus.:D

Tailwind
1/25/2006, 07:49 PM
Way to go Skippy. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/25/2006, 08:32 PM
Whafo you doin' in a ''diversity class"?

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2006, 08:33 PM
Whafo you doin' in a ''diversity class"?
requirement for teacher certification.

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/25/2006, 08:38 PM
Want to really get em riled?? Take Tuba with you to class. Then sit back and enjoy.

NYSooner1355
1/25/2006, 08:55 PM
i took a diversity/socio-cultural issues class over the summer for my master's, what a waste of money and time...and I love all the other people who acted all sensitive and tolerant...

one specific example that jumps out at me: we were given an assignment to attend an event or do something with a "culture" completely different than our own and discuss it...one girl/woman wrote/discussed about attending a friend's house on Friday evening for their weekly Jewish meal (the name of the event slips my mind, but it is a religious event nonetheless), she prefaced it by saying that it was entirely different for her because she is Catholic...then she went on to say how they treated the evening as very somber and prayerful and spiritual and just overall very nice, and again pointed out that this is a weekly thing...she then stated that she wished there was something as spiritual and prayerful in her own religion...I thought to myself "WTF?!?! She's Catholic, what does she think the Mass is?!?!?!" - like I said, fake BS acting tolerant...

we had to write a paper about our views of other cultures and I basically said that privately, I respect everyones rights to follow their own cultures and do their own cultural beliefs, but that as Americans we also have some ingrained cultural beliefs that ought to be respected...I went on to write that I believe if you are living in this country you should expend some effort on learning how to communicate in English.

I got an A on the paper, I was actually surprised

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/25/2006, 09:18 PM
Whats the old joke about joining the army...

Join the Army. Visit exotic lands and meet interesting people from many diverse cutures. Then kill them.

TUSooner
1/25/2006, 09:40 PM
It wasn't a diversity class, but in law school we were talking about Korematsu, the Supreme Court case that OK'd Japanese internment. The oldest guy in the class (an MD, BTW) who was a kid in 1941 and who had no pretensions at all, said that back then were really afraid of the "Japs". There were lots of oohs and groans...and laughs. It was priceless. He's dead now; I miss him.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2006, 09:41 PM
Grow up, little boy.Sometimes I don't know how to take noobspek.

lexsooner
1/25/2006, 09:49 PM

Join the Army. Visit exotic lands and meet interesting people from many diverse cutures. Then kill them.

Or end up coming back in a body bag with your Mom and Dad weeping over your mangled patriotic corpse.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2006, 09:50 PM
Or end up coming back in a body bag with your Mom and Dad weeping over your mangled patriotic corpse.
I guess I figured out how to take it.

Keep spreading the joy my man. You're like a happy pill.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/25/2006, 11:55 PM
requirement for teacher certification.Ye gods, they really DO have a stranglehold over academia. I feel your pain.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2006, 11:58 PM
It's the second class I've had that uses the "evil white male" as the lauching point.

Always fun.

oumartin
1/26/2006, 12:35 AM
you wanna be a teacher? :eek:

God bless you child

soonerscuba
1/26/2006, 12:36 AM
diaper dandy, never been married, had kids, or a real job

I don't suck up, but this pretty much describes me, and I beg the question, what is so weird about wearing a vile of your lover's blood as a necklace?

racist.

SicEmBaylor
1/26/2006, 12:54 AM
Baylor has a pretty homogenous student body which is one of the reasons I chose Baylor. My aim was to avoid the general freaks and weirdos you just described. However, I realized that Baylor did indeed have its fair share when I took a sociology class my sophomore year. After taking this class I realized that these people, at least at Baylor, seem to congregate in the sociology/anthropology department.

So the first day of class I walk in and for a moment I have to make sure I didn't take a wrong turn somewhere ending up inside a UT classroom. There was an eclectic group of students already in the classroom which by itself was strange enough. On the front row was a girl dressed totally in black with one of those stereotypical bohemian berets on her head and a Starbucks coffee in her hand.

Then the professor walks in dressed in sandals, jeans, a flannel shirt, and hair pulled back in a ponty tail. Now this was incredibly shocking since Baylor requires its professors to dress in a coat and tie. My Mass Comm prof fish year got into a bit of trouble becuase he would wear a polo shirt and slacks to class. So seeing this guy in jeans and an old flannel shirt was shocking to say the least.

He then introduces us to the course, passes out the syllabus, and then asks us, "Why do you suppose drug dealers deal drugs?" After getting a couple of typical responses the afformentioned bohemian girl raises her hand and says, "Because that is the most logical way they have to lash out at the white male dominated world that oppresses them."

So that answer was pretty bad but sensing an opportunity I raised my hand and said her answer could be construed as racist since nowhere in the question did the professor say that the drug dealer was a minority. By answering that the drug dealer is lashing out at a male dominated society implies that the drug dealer is a minority. :D

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 07:50 AM
I don't suck up, but this pretty much describes me, and I beg the question, what is so weird about wearing a vile of your lover's blood as a necklace?

racist.
what does a bloody necklace have to do with race?

Okieflyer
1/26/2006, 07:57 AM
requirement for teacher certification.

That's really a great reason to home school. No offense to you, you might really care about teaching our kids something worth knowing, but this is stupid.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 08:06 AM
That's really a great reason to home school. No offense to you, you might really care about teaching our kids something worth knowing, but this is stupid.
While I don't agree with all of the perspectives or resulting opinions, I do feel that the extra knowledge is a positive. I can choose to use or forget what I learn. Someone who never takes the class doesn't have that option.

I was pulled over on I-35 once and a friend of mine pulled over to make sure I was treated OK by the police. I wouldn't have thought to do that for him, but then, white people rarely have the issues with police that black people do.

If a class helps me understand something about other people, I'm cool with it. It doesn't mean that I agree or condone what they think.

Okieflyer
1/26/2006, 08:26 AM
If a class helps me understand something about other people, I'm cool with it. It doesn't mean that I agree or condone what they think.

Your right, but most of these type classes and I've been to a few, end up telling you how bad white people are. I'm all for learning about differences and discussing problems. ;)

picasso
1/26/2006, 09:30 AM
call me old fashioned but I have a hard time envying anyone who hooks up publically before a divorce is even finalized.
I know it's 2006 and Hollywood and all but the Brad & Angelina thing is pretty filthy-like. Not to mention Billy Bob has been all over and in that. oi.:eek:

handcrafted
1/26/2006, 09:50 AM

Not sure of the original source, but that's a line from Full Metal Jacket.

47straight
1/26/2006, 10:37 AM
It's the second class I've had that uses the "evil white male" as the lauching point.

What was the other one?

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 10:42 AM
What was the other one?
Education in Society.

Early parts of the class focused on education in the colonial times and prevailing influences at the time.

At one time........it was thought that if you educated women, the blood would leave their reproductive organs and go to their brains, causing an inability to procreate or resulting in deformed children.

GDC
1/26/2006, 10:43 AM
I may or may not be a troll here........

:D

NormanPride
1/26/2006, 10:57 AM
sas, are you becoming a teacher to teach, or as a launching point to become an administrator?

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 11:01 AM
sas, are you becoming a teacher to teach, or as a launching point to become an administrator?
As I started, I wanted to teach upper level math courses in HS.

A minor in NPO mgmt and some of the other classes I've had to take have opened my mind to other possibilities, but I haven't changed my goal yet.

I may consider a Masters depending on circumstances when I get to that bridge.

That would open up many more doors, but I don't know if they are important to me right now.

1stTimeCaller
1/26/2006, 11:05 AM
so basically what you're saying SAS is that in a diversity class the teacher and the other students didn't like your viewpoint that was different from theirs?

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 11:12 AM
so basically what you're saying SAS is that in a diversity class the teacher and the other students didn't like your viewpoint that was different from theirs?
The teacher LOVES opposing viewpoints as long as you can back them up.

The classmates sometimes appear to drink whatever koolaid is offered that semester.

One of my favorite delimas in these classes is when you should accept another culture that demeans women in some way. THEN you only accept the non-offensive part while shaking your finger at the offensive part.

So the people who don't like everyone else drawing a line do so themselves.

mdklatt
1/26/2006, 11:19 AM
Baylor has a pretty homogenous student body which is one of the reasons I chose Baylor. My aim was to avoid the general freaks and weirdos you just described.

This is good life training.

skycat
1/26/2006, 11:29 AM
My aim was to avoid the general freaks and weirdos you just described.

What are you doing on the South Oval? ;)

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/26/2006, 11:36 AM

A minor in NPO mgmt and some of the other classes I've had to take have opened my mind to other possibilities, but I haven't changed my goal yet.

That would open up many more doors, but I don't know if they are important to me right now.

TMI dude. sheesh.

NormanPride
1/26/2006, 11:37 AM

Promise me if you become an administrator you won't tell the teachers with 20x the teaching experience how to do their jobs? :D My mom is having problems with that right now, and I just want to do my part.

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 11:38 AM
Promise me if you become an administrator you won't tell the teachers with 20x the teaching experience how to do their jobs? :D My mom is having problems with that right now, and I just want to do my part.
As God gives me strength.......it will be so.........

sanantoniosooner
1/26/2006, 11:40 AM
TMI dude. sheesh.
somebody asked.

so there.

soonerscuba
1/26/2006, 01:31 PM
SAS, I was joking.

Every professor that I have had both liberal and conservative has encouraged different strains of thought, so long as they are well reasoned. I also believe that professors will often say inflammatory things to engage discussion of an issues. My problem with people who constantly bitch about liberal education is that they ignore that it is a two way street, and most if not all professors will not fail someone because they don't like their belief, they fail because they cannot properly communicate their belief.