PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING SOONER FACTS..

RooseveltRoughRider
1/25/2006, 05:09 PM
1. 20% of all Sooner Coaches are in the OU Hall of Fame

2. OU is undefeated when they Do NOT have a Coach.

3. Rod Shoat and Buddy Burris are the only Sooners to be All-Americans more than 2 seasons.

4. Oklahoma won a Conference Championship every single year in the 50's.

5. After winning the NC, OU has been to a different Bowl Game each year.

Post any facts you may have that no one probably knows.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/25/2006, 05:16 PM
AD's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

The chief export of Rufus Alexander is pain.

As a teen Barry Switzer impregnated every nun in a convent tucked away in the hills of Tuscany. Nine months later the nuns gave birth to the 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only undefeated and untied team in professional football history.

Dusty Dvoracek doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

Bob Stoops uses a night light. Not because he is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Bob Stoops.

Larry Birdine is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

TRRW ripped out of all Charlie Brown's hair but left a single strand to remind him one day he'd come back to eat him.

Rhett Bomar can set ants on fire with a magnifying glass. At night.

There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures JD Runnels allows to live.

NickZeppelin
1/25/2006, 05:17 PM
18 Sooner players are in the College Hall of Fame.

3 Sooners have 4 All Conference honors. Wade Walker, Darrell Reed, and Anthony Phillips

18 Sooner players have been 3 time all conference

2 former Sooners are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Lee Roy Selmon and Tommy McDonald

Bennie Owen is the only coach to win 100 games in football, basketball, and baseball. Most of it with one arm.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/25/2006, 05:26 PM
Billy Sims is not in the NFL Hall of Fame?

NickZeppelin
1/25/2006, 05:31 PM
Nope he didn't play long enough. He did have a great start to his career but the injuries will kill his chances for the Hall. He was probably good enough though. Bob Boyd should be in there but he isn't.

SoDakSooner
1/25/2006, 06:24 PM

kernalsanders
1/25/2006, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Rock Hard Corn Frog]
As a teen Barry Switzer impregnated every nun in a convent tucked away in the hills of Tuscany. Nine months later the nuns gave birth to the 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only undefeated and untied team in professional football history.

Dusty Dvoracek doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
[QUOTE]
Thats perty funny

1991SOONER
1/25/2006, 11:16 PM
We have won every single game we've ever played against Texas.

Its just that some of the score board lights were out on some of the games:D

shavedmarmoset
1/26/2006, 03:33 AM
OU had a coach who has zero career wins in his tenure at OU.

Quentin Griffin owns the NCAA record for 100-yard games in a season with 12.

OU has never lost to Baylor. 15-0 (but you could probably have guessed that anyways)

Big Red Ron
1/26/2006, 10:26 AM
Troy Aikman will eventually make it to the NFL HOF and so will Little Joe Washington and Tony Casillias and Roy Williams.

SoonerStormchaser
1/26/2006, 10:31 AM
Quentin Griffin owns the NCAA record for 100-yard games in a season with 12.

You serious? Got a link to that?

If it's true, AD should take care of that record this next season!

RooseveltRoughRider
1/26/2006, 10:34 AM
I played against Quentin in High School. Little quick bastard.lol...he went to Aldine when I was at Eisenhower.

NickZeppelin
1/26/2006, 11:17 AM
Troy Aikman will eventually make it to the NFL HOF and so will Little Joe Washington and Tony Casillias and Roy Williams.

Tony C? Nothing against him. I thought he was one of our best DTs ever in college but in the pros he was just good not great. I don't think you could say he was one of the best defensive tackles in the game while he played. He was just a really good one. If Tony C is in then Kinlaw and Rick Bryan should be in there to they probably had just as good careers as Casillias.

Big Red Ron
1/26/2006, 01:49 PM
Tony C? Nothing against him. I thought he was one of our best DTs ever in college but in the pros he was just good not great. I don't think you could say he was one of the best defensive tackles in the game while he played. He was just a really good one. If Tony C is in then Kinlaw and Rick Bryan should be in there to they probably had just as good careers as Casillias.Dude you've been smoking crack again. Tony was a first round draft pick, All Pro and played twelve (12) seasons and has three Superbowl Rings.

NickZeppelin
1/26/2006, 02:03 PM
I've got all the pro bowl rosters when he played(86-97). Casillas was never an all pro bowl as far as I can tell.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/26/2006, 04:55 PM
Tony Casillas taught the Kool-Aid Man how to burst through walls.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. Fear has nothing to fear but Tony Casillas.

Tony Casillas is the only person who knows why paper can beat rock.

When he was nine, Tony Casillas dressed as himself to go trick-or-treating. He came home with a bag full of candy, a bag full of miniature liquor bottles, an Irish Setter, and two underage prostitutes carrying more of his candy.

Big Red Ron
1/26/2006, 06:02 PM
I've got all the pro bowl rosters when he played(86-97). Casillas was never an all pro bowl as far as I can tell.At least twice. check again kid.

NickZeppelin
1/26/2006, 06:07 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/misc/pbindex.htm

Tony Casillas' name is nowhere to be found.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/27/2006, 10:30 AM
I thought Tony C played in a pro-bowl or two but I didn't see him on the roster. He was never All-pro because that is only one deep and combines both leagues.

As for Tony C, he wasn't a HOF quality D-lineman but he was one of the top 10 or so interior D-lineman in the NFL for several years and was a big part of Dallas in the 3 Super Bowl Champ seasons.

I don't know where the line would be drawn between really, really good and great but Tony C would be pretty much on that line. I don't know that I'd expect Tony C to make the HOF but I wouldn't be shocked if he does. Little Joe is way past due for the HOF.

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 11:04 AM
I think Greg Pruitt probably deserves to be in the Pro Hall more then Little Joe. Little Joe was in the Pro Bowl once. Pruitt was a 5 time pro bowler had like 5,000 yards rushing in his career and 3,000 yards recieving and over 4,000 return yards and 53 career TDs. Pruitt also had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons and was 40 yards away from having 4 straight. Looking at their numbers both are boarderline at best.

Here's a list of Sooners that I think should be in the Pro hall of fame.

Billy Sims should be in there he has more rushing yards and total yards and more TDs then Gale Sayers and he played less years. He was a 3 time pro bowler in 5 years. If it weren't for the knee injury then he may be playing for another 10 years at Detroit and Barry Sanders probably wouldn't have ended up playing there.

Bobby Boyd-He has more interceptions then future hall of famer Deion Sanders, and more interceptions then hall of famers Herb Adderley, Lem Barney, Willie Brown, Jack Christiansen, Mike Hayes, Yale Lary, Mel Renfro, and Willie and as many as hall of famer Mel Blount, and he only played 8 years in the NFL. Most of these hall of famers played over 10 years.

Keith Jackson-5 or 6 time pro bowler, Very comparable numbers to most hall of famers. The only problem with him is that there were other tight ends while he was playing that were putting up the same type or better numbers. But he should be in there.

I'll probably think of more later but those 2 definatly deserve to be there.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.collegefootball.org/images/enshrinees2005/tonycastillas.jpg
As much as offenses tried, he could not be avoided. Looming in the middle of a talented Oklahoma defensive line, Tony Casillas punished opposition prompting head coach and Hall of Famer Barry Switzer to call him "perhaps the greatest Sooner defensive lineman ever." A two-time consensus First Team All-America selection, Casillas became only the second Sooner ever to win the Lombardi Award (1985), which is given to the nation's top lineman. Named UPI National Lineman of the Year and BIG-8 Conference Defensive Player of the Year, Casillas helped lead Oklahoma to their first National Championship in 10 years in 1985. A two-time First Team All-Conference performer, he amassed 18 career sacks and 213 career tackles. A stellar student in the classroom as well, Casillas graduated with a degree in public relations and earned Academic All-Conference honors in 1985. Named College Defensive Player of the Decade for the 1980s, Casillas was selected second overall in the 1986 NFL Draft by the Altanta Falcons. Twice named an All-Pro, he played 13 seasons in the NFL with three different teams and won two Super Bowls with the Dallas Cowboys. Since retiring from the NFL, Casillas has embarked on a lucrative business career as president of T.C. Oil and Gas Company.
http://www.collegefootball.org/eventenshrenshrin.php

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 11:14 AM
Even if he was named All-Pro twice. Rock Hard is right he's a boarderline at best.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2006, 11:34 AM
he's a boarderline at best.You're borderline at best too. I've seen worse get in. If he doesn't then that's too bad. I think almost every starter from that Cowboy run will eventually make because of the rings but hey you're the expert, right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/critical_phil/nickzep.jpg

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 11:44 AM
Rings alone don't give you a hall of fame. You have to be one of the best in the league for a good stretch or a dominant force to be a hall of famer. I can't say that Tony Casillas was either in the NFL. And I remember watching him play. He was a solid player and a good tackle in the NFL. But he wasn't a hall of famer.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2006, 11:57 AM
Rings alone don't give you a hall of fame. Tell Terry Bradshaw that. :rolleyes:

RooseveltRoughRider
1/27/2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah Bradshaws supporting cast got him in the Hall..he was average

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 12:12 PM
How many touchdowns and Super Bowl MVPs did Tony Casillas have?

Big Red Ron
1/27/2006, 12:16 PM
How many touchdowns and Super Bowl MVPs did Tony Casillas have?Okay Nick, go take your meds. DT's don't throw the football and usually don't recieve MVP awards, in general, because they don't like actually touch the football. That said a great Dline is probably more important in football than having a great QB. Again see the Steel Curtain.

shavedmarmoset
1/27/2006, 01:17 PM
You serious? Got a link to that?

If it's true, AD should take care of that record this next season!

I saw it in the NCAA record book in Barnes & Noble.

shavedmarmoset
1/27/2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/football_records_book/2005/2005_d1_football_records.pdf

found it. scroll down to the 13th page. its in the middle column

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 01:23 PM
He was probably the best tackle for 2 Cowboy teams(that's arguable because of Maryland, Hennings, Lett, among others were also on those lines) and outside of that he didn't have the career numbers to get in the hall. He probably wasn't one of the best 10 or 15 defensive tackles in the league his entire 12 year career.

I'm nots saying Casillas was a terrible player. He's just not a pro hall of famer. He's a very good player in the NFL. But he wasn't great in the NFL. Not near the level of some of the DTs of his era.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/27/2006, 01:36 PM
Even if he was named All-Pro twice. Rock Hard is right he's a boarderline at best.

Since I didn't even get a sniff of the big leagues in my sports career I'd say borderline HOF qualifies as a pretty darn good player in my book.

Casillas has a shot largely because of the 3 rings because I think the old Steelers teams had some players largely for the same reasons. Still a DT or an OL isn't likely to get more support over time. The QB,RB,WR and LB will get the lions share of the entries. That and the 16 game regular season helping modern players accumulate for lifetime stats are going to make it tougher for players like Pruitt and Little Joe to make it. I think Keith Jackson will be in because he was one of the first TE to be a big part of the passing game. Only Winslow and Ozzie Newsome had better numbers.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2006, 01:38 PM
He was probably the best tackle for 2 Cowboy teams(that's arguable because of Maryland, Hennings, Lett, among others were also on those lines) and outside of that he didn't have the career numbers to get in the hall. He probably wasn't one of the best 10 or 15 defensive tackles in the league his entire 12 year career.

I'm nots saying Casillas was a terrible player. He's just not a pro hall of famer. He's a very good player in the NFL. But he wasn't great in the NFL. Not near the level of some of the DTs of his era.Like I said the HOF is littered with players with worse stats and careers that him. He'll get in, it's just a matter of time. Hell, Tommy Mac. had to wait like twenty years.

NickZeppelin
1/27/2006, 01:39 PM
I think Keith Jackson will be in because he was one of the first TE to be a big part of the passing game. Only Winslow and Ozzie Newsome had better numbers.

And Shannon Sharpe. I think Novacek and Jackson should be in. They have similar numbers and were big parts of their offenses when they played. Both played about 8-10 years.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/27/2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah definitely Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzalez have since put up considerably bigger numbers. I thought Sharpe's career started later than it did so I didn't consider him a contemperary to Jackson. I'm not saying the game was that different in the late 80's early 90's than it is now but TE's before Jackson were largely an afterthought in a teams offense (including OU's when Jackson was here) and now 60-70 catches and 6-7 TDs for a TE is not uncommon. Novacek will probably make the HOF if not by numbers by his reputation for making clutch catches in big games.