PDA

View Full Version : Time To Start Thinking About Entering The OKC Memorial Marathon. Who's In?

FaninAma
1/25/2006, 12:21 PM
I think there is going to be at least 2 women's/offspring teams this year.

It was a blast last year.

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2006, 12:22 PM
OUT

OklahomaTuba
1/25/2006, 12:23 PM
Are the 2 women hot?

FaninAma
1/25/2006, 12:25 PM
Are the 2 women hot?

Ask Dean. One of them is his wife. One is my wife. 2 are my daughters so think it's inappropriate for me to comment. ;)

FaninAma
1/25/2006, 12:26 PM
OUT

You don't seem too sure about that. :)

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2006, 12:27 PM
You don't seem too sure about that. :)

Long distance running and me don't get along very well.

Howzit
1/25/2006, 12:31 PM
Steve, I'm probably going to do the half. I had visions of the full last year, but that lasted up to about the 16 mile runs. :mad:

1stTimeCaller
1/25/2006, 12:35 PM
bloody nipple pics?

Howzit
1/25/2006, 12:37 PM
I'll email them. Punkin.

mdklatt
1/25/2006, 12:41 PM
No F***ing Way

1stTimeCaller
1/25/2006, 12:42 PM
I'll email them. Punkin.
well, I'm waiting.....................

GDC
1/25/2006, 12:44 PM
nm

Howzit
1/25/2006, 01:13 PM
well, I'm waiting.....................

I sent them. You still [email protected]?

1stTimeCaller
1/25/2006, 01:28 PM
yep, OK I got them. thanks

FaninAma
1/25/2006, 03:38 PM
TTT

lexsooner
1/25/2006, 05:01 PM
I think there is going to be at least 2 women's/offspring teams this year.

It was a blast last year.

Teams? You don't need no stinkin teams. Run the whole thing yourself.

Nab'R
1/25/2006, 05:09 PM
I want to do the half this year. Probably will. Will try, anyways.

C&CDean
1/25/2006, 05:11 PM
Teams? You don't need no stinkin teams. Run the whole thing yourself.

Says Mr. Couch tater, remote control king. I'll be right behind you for the whole 26 miles amigo.

Howzit
1/25/2006, 05:16 PM
I believe lex did his first marathon last year.

lexsooner
1/25/2006, 06:14 PM
I believe lex did his first marathon last year.

That's right. Thanks, Howzit. I may have taken over five hours, but I did run the full 26.2 at the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon in Louisville, through two parks which had significant hills. Believe me, at the 18-20 mile mark, seeing a hill coming up was almost enough to make me cry. I probably will not do another full marathon for a while. I am thinking Chicago Marathon sometime in the next few years.

I'm focusing on cutting down my 5K times, which were disappointing last year, thanks partially to the slow training pace I used to get ready for the full marathon. I'm doing interval training on a gym track to try and get my speed up for the Spring. I'm also doing the Derby Festival half marathon this year. They are going to let us go into Churchill Downs for the first time this year at about the six or seven mile mark. We run almost a mile on the infield, and then exit out and keep going towards downtown Louisville if we don't get mugged along that stretch of the city.

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2006, 06:26 PM
I got the email as well.

Debating whether or not to up the training and go for the half or do the relay.

IN, either way.

POSER TRACK & FIELD in full effect! :texan:

achiro
1/25/2006, 06:36 PM
I'll jump in a team if I can have the two short blocks section...and I can walk it.

Cam
1/25/2006, 07:44 PM
Guys at work are getting ready to start their training. Haven't decided if I'm going to run yet or not.

Kind of tweaked the "good" knee skiing last week so need to see how it feels in a couple of weeks.

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2006, 09:06 PM
You people are insane.

BillyBall
1/25/2006, 09:19 PM
I ran the 1/2 version of the OKC Memorial Marathon in '03. The winds were BRUTAL.

I ran the Chicago Marathon this past year. I've heard it's one of the easier races due to it being completely flat, but it beat the living hell out of me...

OhU1
1/25/2006, 09:19 PM
If god meant for man to run 26 miles he wouldn't have invented cars.

lexsooner
1/25/2006, 09:39 PM
I ran the 1/2 version of the OKC Memorial Marathon in '03. The winds were BRUTAL.

I ran the Chicago Marathon this past year. I've heard it's one of the easier races due to it being completely flat, but it beat the living hell out of me...

Exactly. Plus it will be nice to experience a marathon besides the Kentucky Derby Festival, which is a moderately difficult course, probably one I should not have done for my first full marathon.

A full marathon will beat the crap out of any normal person. Now there are some super humans who can recover very quickly and not experience normal wear and tear. There was this retired farmer who ran the Louisville marathon whose goal was to run a marathon in every state. He had done thirty some odd states as of a few years ago.

lexsooner
1/25/2006, 09:42 PM
If god meant for man to run 26 miles he wouldn't have invented cars.

But OhU1, remember me about fifteen years ago? I'm proof anything is possible, so I expect to see you win a marathon Clydesdale division someday.

OhU1
1/25/2006, 09:45 PM
Is the Clydesdale division the one where you get beer instead of water at the break stations?

lexsooner
1/25/2006, 09:54 PM
Is the Clydesdale division the one where you get beer instead of water at the break stations?

Sure, OhU1, but for you no cheap Bud or Milwaukee's Best or other imitation beers. Only the Heineken and Bitburger for you.

Red October
1/26/2006, 04:06 PM
I ran the OKC marathon last year. It was my first marathon. I ran all 26.2 and it was the most incredible thing I have ever done. If you can run, I highly reccomend it.

I would love to run another someday. Perhaps the NYC or Chicago.

Nab'R
1/26/2006, 04:49 PM
Why do they not want you to have headphones on the course? That seems strange

Howzit
1/26/2006, 04:51 PM
It's a safety issue as much as anything. Much of the course is on city streets with traffic.

I saw people last year wearing them, though.

Nab'R
1/26/2006, 04:56 PM
How would one go from like walking on a treadmill four times a week to running distance? What do you do to train for that? Just start running so far every day?

Howzit
1/26/2006, 05:30 PM
You can find all kinds of training programs online. A typical program consits of shorter runs at a tempo pace during the week (like 3 runs mon-thurs) and a longer slow run on the weekend to get your body accustomed it. It's a different kind of stress on the body, it tends to get me more in the hips and joints as opposed to the taxing muscles and your cardio fitness.

lexsooner
1/26/2006, 07:55 PM
How would one go from like walking on a treadmill four times a week to running distance? What do you do to train for that? Just start running so far every day?

I recommend first going from walking to alternating walking and running. You can then build up distance doing running entirely over time, maybe one longer run per week. You need to do real running, whether outside or on a gym track. After that, if you are going to do a race, start with shorter ones, like a 5K (3.125 miles), and then work your way up.

Hal Higdon is kind of the guru of running these days. He's a senior citizen but he runs like he is eighteen years old. He has a website: www.halhigdon.com in which he has training programs for runners of all levels, including beginners, and all race distances. One word of warning - Higdon's training programs are demanding, even of newbies. He feels if you are going to run a race, you should train seriously. His training schedules are demanding in terms of distance and frequency. There are other sites which have training programs for various distance races, but Higdon's is probably the best known.