PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Speeches by Sooner Head Coach

OUGreg723
1/24/2006, 11:39 PM
November 3rd, 1956 Oklahoma @ Colorado.

Sooners down big at half time and the streak is in jeopardy. Bud Wilkinson tells the entire team to take their jersey's off because they don't deserve to wear them, and then leaves the room. After a few minutes Wilkinson comes back into the room and says sharply, "There is only one person in this stadium that believes that you boys are going to win today.......ME."

Next thing you know Jerry Tubbs (I think?) goes APE and smashes the locker room door down and the enitire team goes crazy and follows Tubbs down the tunnel. But they all had to run back in the locker room to put their Jersey's back on, forgetting that they took them off.

The Sooners go on to hold Colorado scoreless in the second half and win 27-19. Preserving the Streak and saving the 1956 National Championship.

:D

Any other great ones??...........

Octavian
1/24/2006, 11:55 PM
wow...when I saw the thread title I thought to myself...Bud vs. Colorado in Boulder. Spek to you Greg.

Some of Switzer's pre-game Nebraska speeches in the 80s are incredible. If you ever get a chance to see em (check out 5 Alive's "Barry Switzer: 15 Years of Championship Football" if you can find it -made in early 88 before the house fell down) they'll give you goosebumps. The man was a motivational master

OUGreg723
1/24/2006, 11:59 PM
wow...when I saw the thread title I thought to myself...Bud vs. Colorado in Boulder. Spek to you Greg.

Some of Switzer's pre-game Nebraska speeches in the 80s are incredible. If you ever get a chance to see em (check out 5 Alive's "Barry Switzer: 15 Years of Championship Football" if you can find it -made in early 88 before the house fell down) they'll give you goosebumps. The man was a motivational master

I need to see that video!

It is my new mission in life. Thanks.

Octavian
1/25/2006, 12:00 AM
In Lincoln(86):

Switz: "Men, ya know, sometimes when you're in the program, it's not easy to see. I don't know if you realize the amount of respect people around the country have for Oklahoma football. That's alot of responsibility, people. Nebraska will have some success. Stay focused."

Long pause and silence ensues....a scene of Boz laying flat on his back. He grits his teeth and exhales.

King: "Men, this is what you come to Oklahoma to play for!" They all jump yelling and run for the door.

I'm going off my memory but I've probably watched it a thousand times so its pretty close to that. Pretty cool vid.

Octavian
1/25/2006, 12:02 AM
The game become the definition of Sooner Magic w/ Keith's catch and Lasher's last second kick...Switzer's post-game speech is probably better

OUGreg723
1/25/2006, 12:02 AM
absolutely amazing.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Octavian again.

okienole3
1/25/2006, 12:07 AM
The game become the definition of Sooner Magic w/ Keith's catch and Lasher's last second kick...Switzer's post-game speech is probably better

Is that the speech where he takes off the ring and pumps it into the camera?

Octavian
1/25/2006, 12:08 AM
Is that the speech where he takes off the ring and pumps it into the camera?

no thats the NC win over Penn St.

Octavian
1/25/2006, 12:09 AM
Whats weird is Switzer's post-loss speaches are actually his best. If you see em, you'll know why men who are now in their 50s still love the man.

Octavian
1/25/2006, 12:40 AM
absolutely amazing.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Octavian again.

thanks but I cant take credit...its all in the video :D

Collier11
1/25/2006, 01:11 AM
Guys help me out with the videos here, I need to see these cause as a Sooner Fan Im obviously missing out.

Rhino
1/25/2006, 02:58 AM
TIMELINE: Texas-Oklahoma (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3062326)

1956 - It seemed as though the Sooners stopped taking Texas seriously after four straight wins over the Longhorns.

Oklahoma coach Bud Wilkinson walked into the locker room minutes before kickoff at the Cotton Bowl and said, "Gentlemen, I think that you know that you didn't practice well this week. But it is no disgrace to lose to a team such as Texas. Even so, when they beat you, just remember that you are still Oklahoma and keep your head held high."

The fired up Sooners stormed out of the locker room and routed Texas 45-0.

Boffingham
1/25/2006, 05:38 AM
Best Speech:

I am no longer the HC at OU - John Blake

Okieflyer
1/25/2006, 08:11 AM
"Please stop throwing stuff on the court, no matter how bad the officiating is." - Billy Tubbs

Okieflyer
1/25/2006, 08:13 AM
Best Speech:

I am no longer the HC at OU - John Blake

That is a little better than the less famous "I'm not step down, I'm steppin' up" speach. ;)

BOONE -r- SOONER
1/25/2006, 09:35 AM
"Please stop throwing stuff on the court, no matter how bad the officiating is." - Billy Tubbs

'spek

that was classic!

The Ensuing Kickoff
1/25/2006, 07:53 PM
"You will shock the nation."

Any takers?

OUGreg723
1/25/2006, 08:01 PM
TIMELINE: Texas-Oklahoma (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3062326)

This is amazing. Bud was the greatest. I wish I could have seen those teams play in person.

great post-ougreg

KStatePike
1/25/2006, 08:21 PM
How bout this one by Stoops after the 2001 Orange Bowl

"Hey boys, no one expected us to win but us huh? Do we have any doubts? Not at all! OU's back arn't we? Everyone of you guys, coaches, every one of you guys, it doesn't matter if you're a superstar, or if you're the guy who's out there at practice everyday not getting on the field. Everyone of you guys got a piece of that championship. And again, I've said it all year how proud I am of you. And today... today you've reached you're finest moment of this season, best game you've played all year. Right there in front of the world, everyone understands what OU's about don't they? OU's about winning championships!"

AlbqSooner
1/25/2006, 08:58 PM
"You will shock the nation."

Any takers?
Barry Switzer to Charles Thompson after a mid week practice before the Nebraska game (which was Thompson's first start). Charles, if you play against Nebraska on Saturday like you practiced today you will shock the nation!

Oh yeah - he did.

Collier11
1/25/2006, 09:08 PM
How about this one..."theyre gonna right books and make movies about this team"

The Consumate Showman
1/25/2006, 09:10 PM

This has GOT to be without-a-doubt the funniest quote EVA!!!

XingTheRubicon
1/25/2006, 09:53 PM
How about this one..."theyre gonna right books and make movies about this team"

SmellsofBourbon can even dampen great threads...

XingTheRubicon
1/25/2006, 09:55 PM

Wasn't the score something like 19-5 at that point?

OU almost doubled up Mizzou the rest of the game after that classic T.

Collier11
1/25/2006, 11:17 PM
Bourbon and DUI's that never happened for some reason???

crimson&cream
1/25/2006, 11:33 PM
November 3rd, 1956 Oklahoma @ Colorado.

Sooners down big at half time and the streak is in jeopardy. Bud Wilkinson tells the entire team to take their jersey's off because they don't deserve to wear them, and then leaves the room. After a few minutes Wilkinson comes back into the room and says sharply, "There is only one person in this stadium that believes that you boys are going to win today.......ME."

Next thing you know Jerry Tubbs (I think?) goes APE and smashes the locker room door down and the enitire team goes crazy and follows Tubbs down the tunnel. But they all had to run back in the locker room to put their Jersey's back on, forgetting that they took them off.

The Sooners go on to hold Colorado scoreless in the second half and win 27-19. Preserving the Streak and saving the 1956 National Championship.

:D

Any other great ones??...........
I watched that game on TV in black & White as there was no color then.
Heck of a come back.

crimson&cream
1/25/2006, 11:35 PM

I have that tape and your so right.

CtheB
1/26/2006, 09:03 AM
Switzer to team on Monday before 1987 Nebraska game...

"You're gonna hear me say to the papers all week that we lost our starting QB, our starting FB and, heck, even I've got a knee injury. I'll tell them we have no business going to Nebraska to win, much less even play. And know what? We're gonna go up there this weekend and beat their a$$ just like we always do."