PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to see Yellowstone?

Penguin
1/24/2006, 09:04 PM
I have no kids, so I don't have to go during the summer. What time of year is best? I'm thinking fall, but I don't want to get stuck driving in a winter storm.

Is it comfortable in July and August? Or am I better off waiting until September or October?

I'm a meteorologist and could probably look it up for myself, but I thought it would be best to ask fellow South Ovalites first.

TUSooner
1/24/2006, 09:22 PM
I'd try to go before it explodes and casts the planet into a decade without summer. JMHO. :)

Harry Beanbag
1/24/2006, 10:13 PM
Don't go in the summer, too many people.

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 10:40 PM
Don't go in the winter, it's not as cool....they turn-off Old Faithful. :(

OUAndy1807
1/25/2006, 12:28 AM
We went in mid-May and loved it. Lake Yellowstone was still covered with ice, there were places with 4 feet of snow on the ground, but on average the temperatures were in the 60's during the day and the 30's at night. It snowed on the 18th, but other than that it was very pleasant (we're cold weather people, so we enjoyed it anyway)

This time of year was nice because the places were just opening for tourist season, but the fogeys in RV's weren't there yet. All the roads in the park are 2 lane and most of them are windy. I've heard horror stories about 1 RV backing people up for a mile going 25 mph. They haven't had a chance to fix the roads yet if you go that early, so they're pretty rough.

Also, I don't know if you're interested in going to Jackson Hole, but there is an awesome place called Spring Creek Ranch that runs great specials if you go early in the season and you can get good rates on hot air balloon rides and fishing, but the fishing sucks at that time.

Flagstaffsooner
1/25/2006, 12:30 AM
I went at the end of September. The weather was mild, no crowds and evereything still open.

nmsoonergirl
1/25/2006, 09:11 AM
I worked in Yellowstone for a time, and always recommend people go in late Septemeber/early October. Everything (mostly) will still be open, and you'll have a fraction of the crowds. Early June is good, too as far as crowds, but quite a few trails will only be hikable with snowshoes, and I'm betting since you live in Houston, you might not own snowshoes. Wildflowers are best in July, but the crowds are nuts.

PM me if you have any more questions--I love the whole area and still go back to visit pretty frequently.

BeetDigger
1/25/2006, 10:00 AM
Stay at the Lodge at Old Faithful. YWIA.

Fugue
1/25/2006, 10:26 AM
Winter

Penguin
1/25/2006, 03:26 PM
Stay at the Lodge at Old Faithful. YWIA.

Is it nice? Looking at their website, it looks like a rate of $89/night. That seems pretty cheap. Is there a catch?

BeetDigger
1/25/2006, 04:20 PM
Is it nice? Looking at their website, it looks like a rate of $89/night. That seems pretty cheap. Is there a catch?

I was there about 10 years ago and it was real nice. The room was not huge but was nicely appointed and the lodge itself is pretty cool. The park service owns the lodge, but contracts out the management of it. I believe that is the reason that the rates are reasonable. In summer, the place fills up so book early. Don't know about the other times of the year.

RacerX
1/25/2006, 09:44 PM
Beginning of August. That's when we went.