PDA

View Full Version : Bereavement pay?

MamaMia
1/24/2006, 06:50 PM
Is this a common thing for employers/companies to offer, and if so what type of companies; big ones, little ones, the state, the feds, the military? I ask because in all my years of working for the investigative firm, the law firm, the hospital, two clinics and the library, I have never heard of such.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/24/2006, 06:51 PM
We get 3 days for immediate family.

StoopTroup
1/24/2006, 06:58 PM
Same for me.

SCOUT
1/24/2006, 07:03 PM
Our company offers 5 days for immediate family (Spouse/Children), 3 days for extended (parents, grandparents, siblings).

We have actually had a case where a spouse passed away and they ended up taking quite a bit more than 5 days.

85Sooner
1/24/2006, 07:22 PM
I'll take off exactly how much I want to thank-you

Penguin
1/24/2006, 07:39 PM
5 days if you lose your spouse? Good grief.

So, sorry. Plop 'em in the ground and get back to work, slacker!

olevetonahill
1/24/2006, 07:46 PM
I'll take off exactly how much I want to thank-you
Tru dat
spek

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/24/2006, 11:01 PM
5 days if you lose your spouse? Good grief.

So, sorry. Plop 'em in the ground and get back to work, slacker!Well we get 3 weeks annual leave as well. I'm sure we would work something out.

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 11:06 PM

Same here.....unlimited if more immediate.

MamaMia
1/24/2006, 11:22 PM
One of the gals I play spades with said that she had bereavement days, but she didnt get paid for them. She retired from a big company that makes oil field equip. I guess each company varies.

BajaOklahoma
1/24/2006, 11:25 PM
We get 5 personal days a year. If not used, they convert to state sick leave. Then we can't get to them unless we exhaust our 5 personal days a year. So i have a ton of state sick days.

I need to have surgery right before I retire, so I can use some of them up.

handcrafted
1/24/2006, 11:30 PM
We are allowed to use sick leave for bereavement, up to 10 working days if necessary.

Stoop Dawg
1/24/2006, 11:33 PM
I think state workers get 2 weeks. 3 weeks if it coincides with a holiday.

[ducks]

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 11:35 PM
One of the gals I play spades with said that she had bereavement days, but she didnt get paid for them. She retired from a big company that makes oil field equip. I guess each company varies.

Mom, I've never worked at a company that didn't offer Bereavement pay, it's always been a part of the benefit package. People can use their sick leave or vacation to go to a loved ones funeral but bereavement pay is a very personal benefit that shows that a company cares and provides time off when these unfortunate events happen. The company I currently work for has provided me bereavement days twice, for my wifes Mothers funeral and my Stepfathers funeral, both times I used 3 days and they also sent nice sprays of flowers to the funerals.

So it's a nice benefit to add to your package to show prospective employees that your business or company cares and will support you during some of the most trying times in your life.

MamaMia
1/24/2006, 11:44 PM
Mom, I've never worked at a company that didn't offer Bereavement pay, it's always been a part of the benefit package. People can use their sick leave or vacation to go to a loved ones funeral but bereavement pay is a very personal benefit that shows that a company cares and provides time off when these unfortunate events happen. The company I currently work for has provided me bereavement days twice, for my wifes Mothers funeral and my Stepfathers funeral, both times I used 3 days and they also sent nice sprays of flowers to the funerals.

So it's a nice benefit to add to your package to show prospective employees that your business or company cares and will support you during some of the most trying times in your life.
I have always worked for small offices who were great to let me off when I needed off. I was always salary, so being paid was no problem. I suppose we had bereavement pay but didnt call it anything. :)

It just seems like it should be a given. I can imagine when 3 days just wouldnt be enough.