PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate City report

TUSooner
1/24/2006, 05:48 PM
Howzit had the courtesy to ask how things were in New Orleans. I know he didn't REALLY want a long explanation, but "no good deed ever goes unpunished," so here's a little update:
We're OK in my house, but some houses in my 'hood were pretty hard hit, i.e. trees through fronts of houses, fences and parts of roofs gone, FEMA trailers in yards, etc. Otherwise, this old town is in many ways "sehr gefuchtig" (which Kaiser & PG may recognize as pig-German for "very effed up.")

From a consumer-in-everyday-life standpoint, gobs of people don't have any place to stay, so they can't come back to work. Therefore, businesses of all sorts are on shortened hours due to the lack of help. Plus, the people who have come back are crowding the places where there is housing (like my West Bank) So, the businesses here that are open are trying to handle more customers in less hours. Home Depot especially is a zoo almost at any hour when it's open. The formerly 24-hour WalMart closes at 5 or 6pm. Lines are long almost anywhere, but the business are starting to catch up it seems.

Lots of people - rich and poor - are in limbo, not knowing whether to repair, tear-down and rebuild, or buy elsewhere in or out of the city. Imagine livinmg that way for half a year. People are commuting 70-100 miles one-way to work. A lawyer pal has his daughter staying weeknights with his law partner so she can go to school here; meanwhile, he works in NO 2 days a week and the rest in Baton Rouge. Large areas of the city are just empty.
On the whole ... it's quite depressing.
Thanks for axin!

Sooner_Bob
1/24/2006, 05:51 PM
So are you guys still considering moving back to Oklahoma?

TUSooner
1/24/2006, 06:02 PM
So are you guys still considering moving back to Oklahoma?

The hard thing is I really love my job here. I don't make a ton of money (like soonerscooter, say ;) ) but I'm getting near the top of the pay scale and there's nothing quite like it in OKC. I have a HS junior, and I'm willing to let her graduate from the wonderful 279-year-old school she's gone to since 6th grade (Ursuline Academy). After that, we'll reassess the situation. At the very latest, I intend to be living in Oklahoma by 2010 when my youngest graduates from the same school.

Sooner_Bob
1/24/2006, 06:10 PM
The hard thing is I really love my job here. I don't make a ton of money (like soonerscooter, say ;) ) but I'm getting near the top of the pay scale and there's nothing quite like it in OKC. I have a HS junior, and I'm willing to let her graduate from the wonderful 279-year-old school she's gone to since 6th grade (Ursuline Academy). After that, we'll reassess the situation. At the very latest, I intend to be living in Oklahoma by 2010 when my youngest graduates from the same school.

Sounds like a plan . . . I didn't get to inspect Ursuline while I was down there. Probably the coolest school I got to go through was Louise McGee down in the Garden District. That place was immaculate.

Bonnabell High School on the other hand . . . that place suffered more people damage than hurricane damage though.

TUSooner
1/24/2006, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a plan . . . I didn't get to inspect Ursuline while I was down there. Probably the coolest school I got to go through was Louise McGee down in the Garden District. That place was immaculate.

Bonnabell High School on the other hand . . . that place suffered more people damage than hurricane damage though.
Give a shout if you come back down. Lots of bars are open and I'll treat you to a couple of libations (as in 2 and no more!) :D

Sooner_Bob
1/24/2006, 06:14 PM
Give a shout if you come back down. Lots of bars are open and I'll treat you to a couple of libations (as in 2 and no more!) :D

Thanks for the invite . . . I think our deployments are pretty much done though, but you never know.

Okla-homey
1/24/2006, 08:32 PM
Vote TUSooner for Mayor of Chocolapolis!

Hang in there bro. Get that girl grajitated and get your narry arse back to the Promised Land. There's way more to life than jobs.:D

TUSooner
1/24/2006, 08:46 PM
***There's way more to life than jobs.:D
Spoken like a retired USAF "lifer"! :D

Okla-homey
1/24/2006, 09:30 PM
Spoken like a retired USAF "lifer"! :D

I happen to be quite sure you could get another Post Office gig in Oklahoma.;)

Oldnslo
1/24/2006, 10:02 PM
They've got Federal Courts in Tulsa, OKC, and Muskogee.

But, you probably know that and stuff.