PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat in Norman?

SoonerWood
1/24/2006, 05:35 PM
Going fishing Saturday and will be coming back through Norman Saturday nite. What is a good place to eat? :confused: No chain restaurants plz.

TIA

Hatfield
1/24/2006, 05:37 PM
you would have torture me to get any info

OUAndy1807
1/24/2006, 05:43 PM
what kind of food do you want?

proud gonzo
1/24/2006, 05:48 PM
Italian: Victoria's (on campus corner)
Mexican: Los Dos Amigos (east of 12th on Alameda)
Thai: Pad Thai (Lindsey & Jenkins, just south of the stadium)

Sooner04
1/24/2006, 05:49 PM
Othello's or Victoria's.

proud gonzo
1/24/2006, 05:50 PM
Othello's just moved, didn't it? :confused:

Jimminy Crimson
1/24/2006, 06:04 PM
They still have both locations. Campus Corner is better for ambiance, but the new location is peachy, as well.

sooneron
1/24/2006, 06:09 PM
I seriously hope that you people don't still consider Victoria's real italian!
It's more like a friggin noodle shop. Their sauce is weak.

Jimminy Crimson
1/24/2006, 06:09 PM
Their homeade pesto RMFO.

Mine as well!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/24/2006, 06:11 PM
For sandwiches y cervezas try Bison Witches

sooneron
1/24/2006, 06:12 PM
Mine as well!
Yeah, if you like dining and saying, "hmm, that was pretty good." after wards, then Vic's is the shiznit.

IronSooner
1/24/2006, 06:13 PM
Mr. Goodcents for subs.

Border Crossing is pretty good for mexican too.

Jimminy Crimson
1/24/2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah, if you like dining and saying, "hmm, that was pretty good." after wards, then Vic's is the shiznit.

I only eat two dishes there. Wheat pasta w/shrooms or whatever the pesto of the day is. I can't comment on anything outside those items. But from what I know, its good.

sooneron
1/24/2006, 06:16 PM
I'd go to one of the following

Hoops
Interurban
Red Parrot
or
Carol's Kitchen
oops, forgot Denco's!

sooneron
1/24/2006, 06:17 PM
But from what I know, its good.
Therein, lies the problem. :D

I admit it, I'm spoiled. I lived in ginny central, or one of them.

C&CDean
1/24/2006, 06:21 PM
ron,

Victoria's is not an "Eyetalian" joint. It's a homo pasta joint. So, if you want some pasta, kinda foo-foo style it's pretty good. And it's "guinea" ya ****in' hillbilly.

Slice of pie? NY Pizza and Pasta
Mexican? Chelino's on Alameda.
Italian? Othello's.
Sammich? Penny Hill or Gourmet Deli.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/24/2006, 06:27 PM
Border Crossing is pretty good for mexican too.You are dead to me. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
1/24/2006, 06:28 PM
Border Crossing is pretty good for mexican too.

What do you eat there? I've been twice and gagged my food down both times. :confused:

C&CDean
1/24/2006, 06:34 PM
What do you eat there? I've been twice and gagged my food down both times. :confused:

Dude, he's just a Norm Jr. He likes Goodscents and On the Border - two of the suckiest eateries this town has to offer for sure.

Jimminy Crimson
1/24/2006, 06:36 PM
Dude, he's just a Norm Jr. He likes Goodscents and On the Border - two of the suckiest eateries this town has to offer for sure.

He said Border Crossing.

I can stand On the Border, for chain messican grub. Border Crossing is the most overhyped thing since Paris Hiltons sex tape.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/24/2006, 06:37 PM
Let's give him a break. He hasn't had the goodness that is Tarahumara's yet.

LilSooner
1/24/2006, 06:50 PM
Ok its not the second page and no one has said anything about the Greek House.

Bastards all of you.

I also suggest the library.

proud gonzo
1/24/2006, 06:55 PM
I think Victoria's is awesome. they seem to have gone downhill slightly in the past 8 years or so.... they were better the first time i went there. but it's still one of my favorite places

so screw you guys :P

:D

mdklatt
1/24/2006, 07:02 PM
Going fishing Saturday and will be coming back through Norman Saturday nite. What is a good place to eat? :confused: No chain restaurants plz.

Why are chain restaurants automatically disqualified? I'd rather eat at some place like Chili's than a number of mediocre local restauraunts. Hell, I'd rather eat at some place like Burger King than a number of local restaurants.

proud gonzo
1/24/2006, 07:04 PM
yes, but I think he was counting on us to filter out the crappy local restaurants

mdklatt
1/24/2006, 07:07 PM
yes, but I think he was counting on us to filter out the crappy local restaurants

Then how did Border Crossing and Chelino's make it through? :D

soonerscuba
1/24/2006, 07:09 PM
the shuttle.

IronSooner
1/24/2006, 07:39 PM

It was back around '99 or 2000 and I was with my girlfriend, so I probably wasn't paying a ton of attention. I'm also not the pickiest of eaters. Unless it really sucks I can usually do any sort of Mexican. Been to Los Dos Amigos and Tarahumaras as well...most Mexican places don't really stand out to me. More of an ambiance sort of thing. When I was there we used to go to Chelino's...mostly because everybody there was cool and you could fill up on the setup for $3.

SoonerWood
1/24/2006, 07:52 PM
Lookin mostly for Mexican, but Greek sounds good too. Just sorta depends on how we feel at the time. Maybe a good pizza pie place?

I had to disqualify chain restaurants cuz I've been to most of them and one of my favorite things is to find a fantastic hole-in-the-wall joint.

Jimminy Crimson
1/24/2006, 11:10 PM
Lookin mostly for Mexican, but Greek sounds good too. Just sorta depends on how we feel at the time. Maybe a good pizza pie place?

Not to bag on any of the local messican joints, but it seems the Greek House (NW corner of Boyd & Jenkins) or New York Pizza & Pasta on Campus Corner (NE corner of Boyd & Asp).

Dig in, bro!

LilSooner
1/24/2006, 11:19 PM
I thought that NEw York Pizza and Pasta was closed. Isn't that by the place that sold bikes that is now also closed.

If your looking for good beer and pizza I suggest the library. I believe they are owned by coaches so they have the have a pretty good selection of beer and of course they get my vote because they have boulevard wheat on tap.

handcrafted
1/24/2006, 11:26 PM
Quite honestly, Coach's has outstanding pizza, and it's well priced compared to the chains like Mazzios and Hut. Try the BBQ chicken pizza. Heaven. :D Plus, beer. Need I say more?

And I will defend to the death On The Border, at least for fajitas. Best fajitas in the metro area, hands down. And I've tried a lot of the hole-in-the-wall spots.

MamaMia
1/24/2006, 11:27 PM
Legends is my favorite.

the_ouskull
1/24/2006, 11:28 PM
Go to Othello's... If there's a bartender there named "Danny," tip him really, really well. I hear that he'll be at the Westside store on Friday morning, and the Campus Corner store on Friday night...

:D

the_ouskull

handcrafted
1/24/2006, 11:31 PM
Hey now. Terry at Othello's makes the best martinis on the planet. And he gets the chef to put extra cheese and basil on the pizzas. :D

LilSooner
1/24/2006, 11:33 PM
Legends is my favorite.

Legends is quite outstanding. I get the chicken crepes every time I go in there.

MamaMia
1/25/2006, 12:00 AM
Legends is quite outstanding. I get the chicken crepes every time I go in there.Excellent choice. The Madeira wine they use in that recipe really enhances the flavor. I love the Maple Soy Glazed Salmon Fillet.

I really miss going to Legends before the football games. I would always order the Salad Sampler, but now that the games are so early, there just isnt enough time.

GottaHavePride
1/25/2006, 12:11 AM
I thought that NEw York Pizza and Pasta was closed. Isn't that by the place that sold bikes that is now also closed.

NY Pizza only closed for a few weeks to re-model. The interior is completely awesome now, with plasma TVs and a bar. The bike shop is now a US Cellular store.

LilSooner
1/25/2006, 12:11 AM
there is always time afterwards :)

MamaMia
1/25/2006, 12:31 AM
there is always time afterwards :)
By then I want to either celebrate or drown my sorrows, which involves a totally different venue. :D

Sooner24
1/25/2006, 12:33 AM
Is The Mont any good? It's been a few years since I have been there.

GottaHavePride
1/25/2006, 12:35 AM
It's nothing spectacular. The food is ok, the drinks are probably somewhat better than average. It's the hangout of choice for some sorority crowds, so giggity giggity, I guess.

Octavian
1/25/2006, 12:37 AM

TIA

A fisherman...if its gonna be cold I recommend Midway. Its a little, old red brick building a few blocks north of Boyd St. on Chatauqua. Good non-chain soup&sandwich market. Best bowl of greasy chili you'll ever eat.

MamaMia
1/25/2006, 12:49 AM
Is The Mont any good? It's been a few years since I have been there.
If you're in the mood for nachos and crimson swirls. :D

GottaHavePride
1/25/2006, 12:52 AM
If you're in the mood for nachos and crimson swirls. :D
That sounds like a prank. Like dropping red food coloring in the terlet before you give someone a swirly.

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2006, 01:55 AM
A fisherman...if its gonna be cold I recommend Midway. Its a little, old red brick building a few blocks north of Boyd St. on Chatauqua. Good non-chain soup&sandwich market. Best bowl of greasy chili you'll ever eat.

If he's coming through at night, doubtful on it being open. I can see it from my window right now. Nice place though.

soonernv
1/25/2006, 02:50 AM
How about restaurants in NW OKC? We recently moved here from Reno, NV. and have no idea which local restaurants to try for Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Pizza or anything else for that matter.

As happy as we are to be here we realize we have a lot to learn about the area. Knowing absolutely no one is strange also, but I guess meeting people and learning the area is 1/2 the fun. I'm not sure what the other 1/2 is. I guess we'll figure that out as we go.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and I apologize if I should have started a separate thread for this.

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2006, 08:22 AM
How about restaurants in NW OKC? We recently moved here from Reno, NV. and have no idea which local restaurants to try for Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Pizza or anything else for that matter.

Mexican: Los Pericos (sw corner of 122nd & Penn), Cocina de Mino (nw corner of 122nd & May), Poblano Grill ( se corner of 122nd & Penn)

I'm out for a few hours, but that's a start. :)

GDC
1/25/2006, 08:55 AM
Pepe Delgado's is pretty darn good.

SoonerWood
1/25/2006, 09:16 AM
If he's coming through at night, doubtful on it being open. I can see it from my window right now. Nice place though.

And I'll be watching you...as I eat my bowl of chili....

Boomer.....
1/25/2006, 09:39 AM
Pepe's, Greek House, Abner's........all good choices!

MamaMia
1/25/2006, 12:53 PM
Chilenos in Bricktown for Mexican.
Dot Wo Chinese is one of my favorites. Its on 31st and Portland
If you're in the mood for pizza, you have to try Nomads on 73rd and May
For Italian in OKC, my favorite is Bellinis 6305 Waterford Blvd. Suite 100

TopDaugIn2000
1/25/2006, 12:59 PM
Chilenos in Bricktown for Mexican.
Dot Wo Chinese is one of my favorites. Its on 31st and Portland
If you're in the mood for pizza, you have to try Nomads on 73rd and May
For Italian in OKC, my favorite is Bellinis 6305 Waterford Blvd. Suite 100

If you wanna try Chileno's go to the one on 67th-ish and May (across from Best Buy). I'd go there 1000 times before I'd put myself thru the misery of Bricktown.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2006, 01:08 PM
Actually, the two original Chelino's on SW 36th and Walker and SW 36th and Robinson are the best two. The one in Bricktown has too many gringoes working there.

mdklatt
1/25/2006, 01:10 PM
Actually, the two original Chelino's on SW 36th and Walker and SW 36th and Robinson are the best two. The one in Bricktown has too many gringoes working there.

Where does the Norman Chelino's rank? Because that's the only one I've been to and it was "eh".

Nab'R
1/25/2006, 01:11 PM
If you wanna try Chileno's go to the one on 67th-ish and May (across from Best Buy). I'd go there 1000 times before I'd put myself thru the misery of Bricktown.
Expect a good lashing from Jed.

What part of Bricktown is "misery"? Bricktown is great!

If you don't like Victoris'a Lasagna rolls, you're wierd.

C&CDean
1/25/2006, 01:12 PM
Where does the Norman Chelino's rank? Because that's the only one I've been to and it was "eh".

That just might be because you don't know dick about Mexican food, no?

MamaMia
1/25/2006, 01:13 PM
The Bricktown Chilenos is my favorite. thus far. I have only been to two. The atmosphere is better at the Bricktown Chilenos. Its not noisy and crowded like the one off May usually is. The waiting time is much less and its cleaner. Plus Bricktown is cool.

mdklatt
1/25/2006, 01:17 PM
That just might be because you don't know dick about Mexican food, no?

I sure do, I've been to Papasitos many times in Dallas and Houston.

GDC
1/25/2006, 01:19 PM
Chileno's was fine by me.

How many here have eaten home-cooked Mexican food in someone's actual home in Mexico?

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2006, 01:49 PM
Chileno's was fine by me.

How many here have eaten home-cooked Mexican food in someone's actual home in Mexico?

The next time I go eat at someones house in Mexico will be the first time.

I limit my exposure to Mexico to the resorts and golf courses. :texan:

GDC
1/25/2006, 02:29 PM
The next time I go eat at someones house in Mexico will be the first time.

I limit my exposure to Mexico to the resorts and golf courses. :texan:

As long as you don't get a worm in your brain, it's all good.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2006, 02:57 PM
Any of the small Chelino's are better than the Bricktown one. It's a good place to sit on the patio for a cerveza or four, but not for the food..

soonernv
1/26/2006, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, this is extremely helpful.