PDA

View Full Version : Anybody notice the stars last night?

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 04:55 PM
They were extremely bright with it being cold, no clouds, and no moon, I saw the Milky Way from my backyard. It was like I was in the high desert in Nevada.

Just thought it was neat........carry on.

SoonerWood
1/24/2006, 05:00 PM
I took a BITE from said Milky Way.

proud gonzo
1/24/2006, 05:04 PM
it was pretty

TUSooner
1/24/2006, 05:28 PM
THAT is just the sort of thing I miss while living here in the land of perpetual clouds, haze, and humidity :(

C&CDean
1/24/2006, 05:30 PM
It's usually well past dark when I come in from feeding the cows. I always stop and look up at the stars. They were very clear/bright last night - as they are most winter nights. I always say a little prayer, and thank the Man for what I've got, the view, etc. Beats hell outta going to church on Sundays.

BeetDigger
1/24/2006, 05:39 PM
The stars at night are always big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas.

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 05:41 PM
It's usually well past dark when I come in from feeding the cows. I always stop and look up at the stars. They were very clear/bright last night - as they are most winter nights. I always say a little prayer, and thank the Man for what I've got, the view, etc. Beats hell outta going to church on Sundays.

Yep and I do the same. If your'e real quiet you can hear him answer with the wind through the trees, or the yelp of a coyote, or the hoot of an owl........That's where I'm closest to God.

C&CDean
1/24/2006, 05:46 PM
Amen brother.

TUSooner
1/24/2006, 05:50 PM
Stop it. Ya'll are killin me.

OhU1
1/24/2006, 06:07 PM
The night sky is incredible in the deep country. You forget there are so many stars visible at night. The few times I can see such a sky I like to lay back and watch it for the visual spectacle.

Keep in mind that the portion of the sky we see is in the boon docks of our galaxy and not heavily populated. Our field of view covers a tiny fraction of our galaxy. Our galaxy is but one of BILLIONS of galaxies out there. There is no way to truly fathom this. Still our little boring part of the sky is spectacular to look at.

BeetDigger
1/24/2006, 06:07 PM
Thank you Mr. Sagan.

Blue
1/24/2006, 06:20 PM
Question. If our planet is in this solar system (The Milky Way), how did we get this picture. I thought it took years just to get a probe to Pluto, how did we get a camera shot from that far away? The answer is probably obvious, but I can't figure it out.

http://www.vt-2004.org/Background/Infol2/vt2004-if-g5-fig2.jpg