PDA

View Full Version : My landlord is a jackass and I'm happy....

OUAndy1807
1/24/2006, 04:53 PM
So, I've posted about my landlord before. He has this handyman who does everything the wrong way and doesn't follow any of the construction codes. He's old school, I guess.

Well, about 6 months ago my landlord pays this guy to put in a new sanitary sewer even though we've had no problem with it. The guy does so with the crappiest construction practices imaginable and I tell my landlord that he's getting screwed. He doesn't listen because his guy "has been doing it like this for longer than I've been alive".

2 weeks ago our sewer starts backing up into the yard. The same plumber dude comes out and snakes the line. He tries to blame it on my wife flushing tampons.

The next day we start having the same problems. He convinces my landlord to replace all of the drain lines in the house and tells him the problem is occuring because we are putting grease down the drain.

The next day we still have the same problems. I get in a huge argument with the landlord where he's accusing my wife of maliciously flushing tampons and clogging the sewer. I finally convince the landlord to call the city and have them check their line. They do and find nothing wrong, but we still have the problem, so I ask the landlord to call his plumber to have him come check the connection to the city line. Instead, the landlord calls the city and pays to have them send a camera up the line to see what the problem is.

Turns out that when the "plumber" tied into what he thought was the city line, he actually tied into an abandoned clay tile sewer line. Basically, there is a tube full of 6 months worth of my toilet water and crap laying beneath the city.

My only question now is, should I make a few calls to the city to see how the EPA would feel about this?

OUAndy1807
1/24/2006, 04:55 PM
The sweetest thing about it is that I've maintained from day one that the problem was with the sewer tap, but two 65 year old men were too smart to listen to me.

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2006, 04:57 PM
what would a punkassed kid know about these things?

OUAndy1807
1/24/2006, 04:58 PM
what would a punkassed kid know about these things?
good point.

GDC
1/24/2006, 04:59 PM
He should know they don't use clay anymore. At least I haven't seen any in a while.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2006, 04:59 PM
Do the tampons irritate her vagina?

OUAndy1807
1/24/2006, 05:00 PM
wow.

picasso
1/24/2006, 05:01 PM
seriously do not call the EPA. use it as leverage with your wanker landlord but don't call them in. they might move your arse outta there!
reminds me a problem a friend of mine had with his business and dealing with a small town city government. his sewer backed up and flooded his business. turns out is was the cities fault and their jacked up water/sewer line.
he has to have everything nearly rebuilt.
big nasty (pardon the pun) legal mess.

colleyvillesooner
1/24/2006, 05:02 PM

Best.
Cross
Thread.
Reference.
Evar.

BCTRE

OUAndy1807
1/24/2006, 05:03 PM
I'm not calling the EPA, but can imagine? This city isn't known for their great utility record anyway.

BeetDigger
1/24/2006, 05:55 PM
First of all, putting in a new line was a sh!tty thing to do. Not to mention the crappy job the contractor did. Or how p!ssy the landlord got. If it were me, I'd wait until it gets fixed and then flush my memory of the entire ordeal.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2006, 06:24 PM
wow.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1165224&postcount=7

:O

OUAndy1807
1/24/2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1165224&postcount=7

:O
wow.

Penguin
1/24/2006, 08:02 PM
You might want to consider moving.

OUAndy1807
1/24/2006, 08:40 PM
yeah, I figure that after this I can pretty much stop paying rent and just threaten him with the EPA thing, so I think I'll stay.

Seriously, though, I'm out of here in May. The lease came up in May and we got married in May, so there was not a lot of time to be moving, plus with deadlines at work and my laziness, etc...

OUAndy1807
1/27/2006, 02:48 PM
So my landlord has his "plumber" come out to fix the situation. He works on it for the day and everything looks great. He's done a much better job of tying it all in (like I tried to convince him to do in the first place), but I told him to keep the hole open to watch it for a couple of days to make sure it was ok.

I went out today at lunch and noticed that the sewer hadn't backed up since the final repair. I walk over to the 4' deep open hole in the ground. It's full of crap water.

Have fun getting the water out of the hole and trying to repair it again, you f'ing moron.

Ike
1/27/2006, 02:53 PM
yummy

colleyvillesooner
1/27/2006, 02:54 PM
pic?

BeetDigger
1/27/2006, 02:59 PM
Ahhhhh, nothing like genuine redneck craftmanship.