PDA

View Full Version : 17 yr old Broncos fan humiliated by teacher

MamaMia
1/24/2006, 11:36 AM
Have we discussed this yet?

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. -- A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class -- for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey.

“ If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what [the class] is designed to do. It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset. ”
— Ethics teacher John Kelly

The teacher, John Kelly, forced Joshua Vannoy to sit on the floor and take the test Friday -- two days before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Broncos 34-17 in the AFC championship game. Kelly also made other students throw crumpled up paper at Vannoy, whom he called a "stinking Denver fan," Vannoy told The Associated Press on Monday.

Kelly said Vannoy, a junior at Beaver Area Senior High School, just didn't get the joke.

"If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what [the class] is designed to do," Kelly told The Denver Post. "It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset."

Vannoy was wearing a No. 7 Broncos jersey on Friday, because he is a fan of John Elway, the Broncos' retired Hall of Fame quarterback.

Vannoy said he was so unnerved he left at least 20 questions blank on the 60-question test, and just wants out of Kelly's class because he's afraid the teacher won't treat him fairly now that the story reached the media.

"I'm going to have to deal with him for two more nine weeks [school quarters] and he's going to want revenge somehow," Vannoy said Monday. "I took the test. I'm shaking. I'm furious. I didn't know what to do."

Kelly, who wore a Ben Roethlisberger jersey Friday, and his principal, Thomas Karczewski, didn't immediately return messages left on their school voice mail Monday.

Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent said she was aware of the situation, but said confidentiality rules prevent her from commenting specifically.

"We'll take whatever action we need to in order for the student to feel comfortable," Nugent said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2303468&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

StoopTroup
1/24/2006, 11:39 AM
Trouble up in the Big Beaver.

mdklatt
What's an "ethnicity class"? Are they teaching eugenics in Pennsylvania now?

picasso
well whaddya expect? Ted Nugent's wife is the school Super.

TopDaugIn2000
1/24/2006, 11:40 AM
OMG. That's nuts

KABOOKIE
1/24/2006, 11:49 AM
This what y'uns get for pushing God outta the schools! :mad: :D

mdklatt
1/24/2006, 11:50 AM
This what y'uns get for pushing God outta the schools! :mad: :D

Hmmm...how close is Beaver Falls to Dover?

Hatfield
1/24/2006, 11:52 AM
he should be made fun of for wearing the jersey of someone who doesn't play anymore.

critical_phil
1/24/2006, 11:53 AM
did this story break friday? if it did, i guess it's a story.

if not, it sounds like sour grapes.............

Dio
1/24/2006, 12:04 PM
Broncos jersey? The kid had it coming.

Beef
1/24/2006, 12:09 PM
Plummer and the Broncos secondary did a pretty solid job of humiliating everyone in a Broncos jersey.

NormanPride
1/24/2006, 12:11 PM
I blame it on rap music.

critical_phil
1/24/2006, 12:14 PM
this also set a dangerous precedence.

little aggot kids might get the idea that someone cares and will listen to them if they blow the whistle.

Sooner_Bob
1/24/2006, 12:15 PM
So is the ACLU gonna step up or what?

:P

n8v_ndn
1/24/2006, 12:19 PM
What's an "ethnicity class"? Are they teaching eugenics in Pennsylvania now?

Mr. Kelly was teaching a lesson on what he calls 'Redneck Ethnicity', particularly focusing on the Intolerance traditions.

He also called him 'boy' all day and peeled out in his face in the parking lot while throwing empty tallboys at him.

Desert Sapper
1/24/2006, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure, but it sounds like the teacher was illustrating what it's like to be singled out. That, and he's a Steelers fan, which means he probably was just being a jerk.

http://home.uchicago.edu/~slsmall/Steelers/Fan2.jpg

BeetDigger
1/24/2006, 01:26 PM
Come'on people, they live near Pittsburgh. They have so little already. Why take this away from them?

Isn't it just destiny that one city that has been decimated by unions and the old economy would go to a superbowl in a city that is now being decimated by unions and old world economy?

Desert Sapper
1/24/2006, 04:48 PM
Okay, so Steelers fans have good reason to be jerks...granted.

49r
1/24/2006, 08:29 PM
Come'on people, they live near Pittsburgh. They have so little already. Why take this away from them?

Isn't it just destiny that one city that has been decimated by unions and the old economy would go to a superbowl in a city that is now being decimated by unions and old world economy?

That's exactly what I thought. The Steelers deserve to go to the SuperBowl

In Detroit.

Gah!