PDA

View Full Version : Penders passes out on sideline, carried off court on stretched, whistled for a tech.

TopDawg
1/24/2006, 10:26 AM
wow (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5273414)

...it appears that the crew exercised poor judgment in sustaining the technical foul following the medical condition that arose for Coach Penders," C-USA assistant commissioner Chris Woolard said in a statement.

Ya think?

NormanPride
1/24/2006, 11:17 AM
Couldn't they reverse the call or something?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/24/2006, 12:09 PM
Couldn't they reverse the call or something?

have you ever seen a call reversed?

william_brasky
1/24/2006, 12:13 PM
You would think the refs would have taken the technical away.

Strange not to reverse it.

Did the T result in any points for UAB? It didn't say in the article.

Rhino
1/24/2006, 12:14 PM
If he died, he would've gotten ejected.

BoomerJack
1/24/2006, 01:25 PM
You would think the refs would have taken the technical away.

Strange not to reverse it.

Did the T result in any points for UAB? It didn't say in the article.

I believe the shooter made both(?) free throws and UAB's margin of victory was three points.

TopDawg
1/24/2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah, that's right. It's mentioned briefly in the article:

The officials refused to reverse the technical after Penders received medical attention, and UAB's Carldell "Squeaky" Johnson made both free throws.

The language of that quote and the rest of the article makes me think that the officials certainly had the option to overturn it.

william_brasky
1/24/2006, 02:41 PM
I missed that. OK, he made both free throws. Did UAB then get the ball and proceed to score on that possession? If so, that's 4-5 points. Final margin 3. That would not be good.

BoomerJack
1/24/2006, 03:05 PM
Brasky: I think possession changed a few times after the technical and before the final buzzer.

NormanPride
1/24/2006, 05:53 PM

No, and that's really bad. We had to implement video proof to get them to change anything. Why is it such a taboo for refs to change a call if they get a better look at things, or to pick up a flag?

skycat
1/24/2006, 06:35 PM

Sure. One official will point one way on an out of bouds call, and then the other will come running across the court and point the other way.

Not exactly the same, but I'm just sayin'.

GDC
1/24/2006, 09:29 PM
If he died, he would've gotten ejected.

classic

King Crimson
1/24/2006, 09:57 PM
Penders was always working that hard to straddle line between white guy geri curl and mullet look.

Soonerus
1/24/2006, 10:11 PM
Officials thought Penders had been on some benders, possibly passing some "wenders".....

OUTromBoNado
1/25/2006, 03:01 AM
No, and that's really bad. We had to implement video proof to get them to change anything. Why is it such a taboo for refs to change a call if they get a better look at things, or to pick up a flag?

Because that would make make game officials look incompetent. We wouldn't want to do anything that would questions that integrity of how rules are upheld in a game would we?

Also, it would make it a lot harder for the refs to hide what they are doing if they are on the take.:texan:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/25/2006, 11:31 AM
Heard a comment on the news here that the C-USA would be taking "appropriate" action on the ref team. Don't know what that means...

NormanPride
1/25/2006, 11:47 AM
Heard a comment on the news here that the C-USA would be taking "appropriate" action on the ref team. Don't know what that means...

http://www.und.ac.za/und/ling/camese_scold.gif

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/25/2006, 11:52 AM
Sure. One official will point one way on an out of bouds call, and then the other will come running across the court and point the other way.

Not exactly the same, but I'm just sayin'.

nope, doesn't qualify. almost every one of those "overturns" is made by the "alpha" ref. it doesn't matter if its correct or not. the most humorous calls are when one referee calls a travel before contact and the alpha ref overrules him for a block or a charge.

skycat
1/25/2006, 11:55 AM
nope, doesn't qualify. almost every one of those "overturns" is made by the "alpha" ref. it doesn't matter if its correct or not. the most humorous calls are when one referee calls a travel before contact and the alpha ref overrules him for a block or a charge.

I guess I don't understand your rules then. You asked if anyone had seen a call overturned, and the answer is clearly yes. There was no mention of who had been the one that had called it, or who had overturned it.

TopDawg
1/25/2006, 12:34 PM
C-USA needs to overturn it themselves and declare UAB the winners by only one point.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/25/2006, 12:55 PM
I guess I don't understand your rules then. You asked if anyone had seen a call overturned, and the answer is clearly yes. There was no mention of who had been the one that had called it, or who had overturned it.

it was a joke. and for the record, i have never seen a T overturned.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/25/2006, 01:02 PM
Those guys will be punished by being forced to officiate Tech's game against OU next year!