PDA

View Full Version : When Do You Make The Call?

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 09:00 AM
About calling in sick to work? I almost never miss work, thankfully because I'm not sick that often, so it's usually tough for me to call in. I have and I will if I'm sick enough......but what's sick enough? If I could've called in when I first woke up, I would've....but it just happens to be that I'm the first one here this week and I didn't have a co-workers number to get him to come in plus I didn't want to call him at the last minute and cause him to have to rush. So I came in and I'll leave when he gets here. But I feel a little better than I did earlier so I could tough it out if I had to; I just don't want to make anyone else sick. I had a fever of 101 so I'm thinking that probaby isn't a good sign.

Anyway...when do you make the call?

(I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere but since the search feature isn't working again, I couldn't find it)

Harry Beanbag
1/24/2006, 09:02 AM
I only call in if I have the uncontrollable loss of bodily fluids.

sooner_born_1960
1/24/2006, 09:02 AM
I generally plan my "sick" days weeks in advance.

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 09:03 AM
I only call in if I have the uncontrollable loss of bodily fluids.

Check.

Harry Beanbag
1/24/2006, 09:06 AM
Check.

You have my permission to go home then.

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 09:07 AM
You have my permission to go home then.

How do I explain away the saggy pants?

Harry Beanbag
1/24/2006, 09:11 AM
How do I explain away the saggy pants?

Those are your built in excuse for why you're leaving. Just point to your *** and say "I'm going home". They'll understand. :)

OUthunder
1/24/2006, 10:03 AM
1. Golf course Must be open
2. Must be sunny and warm
3. Golf course must be "out of area."

JohnnyMack
1/24/2006, 10:08 AM
Quit being a bitch and get back to work. Those quarter pounders don't make themselves ya know.

crawfish
1/24/2006, 10:10 AM
There is no such thing as "being too sick to work" when working from home is an option. :(

Harry Beanbag
1/24/2006, 10:12 AM
Quit being a bitch and get back to work. Those quarter pounders don't make themselves ya know.

What do they call an Ethiopian with a yeast infection? Quarter-pounder with cheese.

Great, now I'm sick. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gif

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 10:19 AM
I thought I'd surely get sympathy from you goobers.

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2006, 10:21 AM
hope you get to feeling better. I hear Midol helps if you feel bloated.

crawfish
1/24/2006, 10:22 AM

HA!

handcrafted
1/24/2006, 10:22 AM
There is no such thing as "being too sick to work" when working from home is an option. :(

Word. Same here. I don't call in. If necessary, I email. Even then, my co-workers have no issue with calling me at home and making me sit in front of the computer. As long as I get regular infusions of chicken broth and drugs, I can manage.

I'm not sure, but I'd bet that if I was on my deathbed, they'd send a courier to my house with a company laptop. :P

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 10:27 AM

Hey, I sent you a PM.............:(

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 10:28 AM
I have months upon months of sick leave built up, I just don't usually get that sick...and when I do, I still feel guilty about calling in. I'll probably feel less guilty when I'm watching Everyday Italian though.

What was that flu medicine you all recommended a while back? You know....just in case.

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 10:28 AM
Hey, I sent you a PM.............:(

Yes, you did. Thanks.

This is why I always say IB4OU2 is the most sincere poster on the boards.

Or else he's got the hots for me.

handcrafted
1/24/2006, 10:30 AM
I have months upon months of sick leave built up, I just don't usually get that sick...and when I do, I still feel guilty about calling in. I'll probably feel less guilty when I'm watching Everyday Italian though.

What was that flu medicine you all recommended a while back? You know....just in case.

Bourbon?

TopDaugIn2000
1/24/2006, 10:34 AM
from MSN Careers:

When asked to share the most unusual excuses workers gave for missing work, hiring managers shared some of their favorite examples:

"I'm too drunk to drive to work."

"I accidentally flushed my keys down the toilet."

"I had to help deliver a baby on my way to work." (Employee was not in the medical profession.)

"I accidentally drove through the automatic garage door before it opened."

"My boyfriend's snake got loose and I'm afraid to leave the bedroom until he gets home."

"I'm too fat to get into my work pants."

"God didn't wake me." (Employee didn't believe in alarm clocks and thought a higher power would wake her when she was ready.)

"I cut my fingernails too short, they're bleeding and I have to go to the doctor."

"The ghosts in my house kept me up all night."

"I forgot I was getting married today."

"My cow bit me."

"My son accidentally fell asleep next to wet cement in our backyard. His foot fell in and we can't get it out."

"I was watching a guy fixing a septic pump, fell in the hole and hurt myself."

"I was walking my dog and slipped on a toad in my driveway and hurt my back."

"My house lock jammed, and I'm locked in."

*****Almost as good as "I ran over a semi"!!!!!!

StoopTroup
1/24/2006, 10:34 AM
When your Doctor says your contagious...call in.

Otherwise your just faking it. ;)

sanantoniosooner
1/24/2006, 10:35 AM
I knew you were sick when I started reading this board.

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 10:36 AM
I knew you were sick when I started reading this board.

So does it come in gelcaps?

sanantoniosooner
1/24/2006, 10:37 AM
Liberal use of the ignore feature is all that can keep your sickness from spreading ;)

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 10:37 AM
Yes, you did. Thanks.

This is why I always say IB4OU2 is the most sincere poster on the boards.

Or else he's got the hots for me.

Believe me I'm just sincere.........(cause I'm not Metro Sexual)

Widescreen
1/24/2006, 10:41 AM
<Nelson Munz>I said 'Ha Ha'</Nelson Munz>

This thread is allsome. By the way, go home. I can feel myself coming down with something just from reading your posts.

ChickSoonerFan
1/24/2006, 10:44 AM

I think there is stuff called Tamiflu but it has to be prescribed by your doctor once you have been diagnosed with the real flu.

101 temp means you are sick no matter if it is the flu or not though. And yes,

GO HOME!!!! Crawl in bed and rest.

but keep posting ... never too sick to post..right? ;)

sanantoniosooner
1/24/2006, 10:46 AM
rub some tussin on it.

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 10:54 AM
I think there is stuff called Tamiflu but it has to be prescribed by your doctor once you have been diagnosed with the real flu.

101 temp means you are sick no matter if it is the flu or not though. And yes,

GO HOME!!!! Crawl in bed and rest.

but keep posting ... never too sick to post..right? ;)

Yeah, I think that was it. I don't think I'm going to the Dr unless I feel worse tomorrow.

Temps is down to 100.1 I guess because of the cold medicine I took this morning.

And I'm home now.

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I think that was it. I don't think I'm going to the Dr unless I feel worse tomorrow.

Temps is down to 100.1 I guess because of the cold medicine I took this morning.

And I'm home now.

Well wear a jacket and remember to take some extra balls.

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 02:48 PM
Thought I was feeling better until I slept past medicine time by about an hour. Ugh.

Guess I'll make an appt and see the Doc tomorrow. Antibiotics to follow, I'm sure.

I'll keep you updated.

Widescreen
1/24/2006, 03:01 PM
Thought I was feeling better until I slept past medicine time by about an hour. Ugh.

Guess I'll make an appt and see the Doc tomorrow. Antibiotics to follow, I'm sure.

I'll keep you updated.
You need Whiskey. Stat.

Sooner_Bob
1/24/2006, 03:06 PM
I don't people who don't like calling in sick . . . if you're sick stay home. The rest of us don't want what you have.

Especially you burger flippers.

And don't forget . . .

Wash your hands!!!

Norm In Norman
1/24/2006, 03:06 PM
When you work for the state, any day can be a sick day.

Don't spread that **** to your colleagues.

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 03:08 PM
Why do you hate my germs?

IB4OU2
1/24/2006, 03:15 PM
Stay in bed and off your feet and don't practice with your putter.........

ChickSoonerFan
1/24/2006, 03:18 PM

I'll keep you updated.

No antibiotics for the flu....that is what will cause the world to end eventually. :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
1/24/2006, 03:21 PM
No antibiotics for the flu....that is what will cause the world to end eventually. :rolleyes:

It probably isn't the flu....I felt about like this in June and he gave me antibiotics. But what do I know? I made an appt for tomorrow so we'll see.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2006, 03:23 PM
Why do you hate my germs?

Cause they get up in my QPC.

OhU1
1/24/2006, 03:35 PM
Liked it when I could leave a voice mail that I was sick. That way when I was out too late I could call in saying I wasn't going to be in and could sleep in. The boss would always be impressed "he was really sick, he called in at 3 in the morning!" Now I have to set the alarm for 9 AM and call in with my groggy voice. Heck I only use 2 or 3 days a year, I should be able to sleep in those days without having to call !

Penguin
1/24/2006, 04:02 PM
Sometimes, I get my wife to call for me. It gives the impression that I'm "too sick" to even make it to the phone. :D

MamaMia
1/24/2006, 04:16 PM
I will only call in if I'm contagious.

Skysooner
1/24/2006, 06:32 PM
I've been at home the last 2 days. I was driving the kids to daycare yesterday, and I was so woozy from a sinus infection that I almost forgot where I was at. That was enough for me to come home and go to bed.

Scott D
1/24/2006, 06:47 PM
About calling in sick to work? I almost never miss work, thankfully because I'm not sick that often, so it's usually tough for me to call in. I have and I will if I'm sick enough......but what's sick enough? If I could've called in when I first woke up, I would've....but it just happens to be that I'm the first one here this week and I didn't have a co-workers number to get him to come in plus I didn't want to call him at the last minute and cause him to have to rush. So I came in and I'll leave when he gets here. But I feel a little better than I did earlier so I could tough it out if I had to; I just don't want to make anyone else sick. I had a fever of 101 so I'm thinking that probaby isn't a good sign.

Anyway...when do you make the call?

(I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere but since the search feature isn't working again, I couldn't find it)

I don't....ever. I grew up in a house where 'being sick' involved seeing the flight doctor...you needed to call in dead to get out of work. I'm more apt to be sent home for being sick than calling in for it.

Al Gore
1/24/2006, 07:13 PM
I have NEVER missed a day of work........NEVER.......

Mjcpr
1/26/2006, 09:43 AM
Bronchitis, he says. Made worse by the fact that I'm a smoker; he seems to think I should quit.

Feeling better today so I came to work. I'm a little bit dizzy and lightheaded....not sure why. But that is an improvement over how I felt the last couple of days.

Haven't had a cig since my Dr appt yesterday. It was a little bit painful to smoke so I haven't had very many cigs at all since Monday. Not sure I can quit just yet but I'll see how it goes.

And Hairy, thanks for the flowers.

IB4OU2
1/26/2006, 09:54 AM
I was going to check on you but did'nt want to be accused of being too friendly or sincere............Glad your feeling better and try some nicoderm patches.

Mjcpr
1/26/2006, 09:55 AM
I was going to check on you but did'nt want to be accused of being too friendly or sincere............Glad your feeling better and try some nicoderm patches.

Accused? I thought those were good qualities.

I don't have any patches or medication or anything right now...that's why I'm not liking my chances.

ChickSoonerFan
1/26/2006, 10:03 AM
Bronchitis, he says. Made worse by the fact that I'm a smoker; he seems to think I should quit.

Feeling better today so I came to work. I'm a little bit dizzy and lightheaded....not sure why. But that is an improvement over how I felt the last couple of days.

Haven't had a cig since my Dr appt yesterday. It was a little bit painful to smoke so I haven't had very many cigs at all since Monday. Not sure I can quit just yet but I'll see how it goes.

And Hairy, thanks for the flowers.

You can quit. You have made it this far.

Just Do It.

:D

Mjcpr
1/26/2006, 10:04 AM
Make that a lot dizzy and lightheaded. :(

ChickSoonerFan
1/26/2006, 10:18 AM
I feel that way when I get out of an elevator.

But this thread is about you, not me.

Sometimes I forget that not everything is all about me. :rolleyes: