PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Snyder takes a lot of flak...but this

Collier11
1/24/2006, 02:16 AM
story really made me feel for the guy. I know we all make fun of him and missouri has consistently underachieved but we often forget the human side of sports. http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/2F67A562C6CD9015862570FF00426EFC?OpenDocument

GDC
1/24/2006, 08:56 AM
He's got the eye of the tiger.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2006, 10:04 AM
I do certainly sympathize some with what Snyder has gone through as far as being pretty well made into a joke in Missouri media circles. If you ever check out Tigerboard when things are going bad you have to fear for the guys health. OU could have been shut out by Baylor and Chuck Long wouldn't have taken much more heat. He has the misfortune as well of following Norm Stewart who had coached MU pretty much since they quit using peach baskets. Norm on few occaisions had the talent that Snyder has had but his teams ofter overachieved.

All that said, Snyder is a real smart guy and a lot of the problems that the program have gone through are self-inflicted by some questionable decisions with Clemons and there is no doubt that the team has seriously underachieved. The team a few years ago that was top 5 in the preseason and then got bounced in round 1 of the NIT might be the most unexplainable collapse of all time.

As an OU fan in Missouri that has a few buddies that revel in every OU loss I've developed a big distaste for MU sports. I'd even rather lose to OSU or Texas in hoops than lose to MU so the loss this year really sucks. I've generally enjoyed MU's struggles the last few years for that reason and I think that they will remain mediocre (or worse) as long as Snyder is there.

picasso
1/24/2006, 10:57 AM
them ole boys in Missouri call him "Queeney" because deep down inside they're having strange feelings toward him.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2006, 01:37 PM
Can I get the Cliff Notes version?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2006, 02:19 PM
Can I get the Cliff Notes version?

Article basically recaps his turbulent career as MU coach but he is starring in Monty Python Life of Brian Part II right now because he beat KU last week.

Or Cliff note of Cliff notes:

He beat KU. Doesn't need bodyguard this week.

Collier11
1/24/2006, 02:35 PM
or cliff notes of cliff notes of cliff notes, the dude is a good guy who made several mistakes which almost cost him his marriage and probably will cost him his life, you feel like he will either come out of this stronger or he will slit his own throat

ouradu
1/24/2006, 05:16 PM
Who's paige laurie? The writer mentions it like you are just supposed to know. All I could find on google was something about a rich heiress to Wal Mart who had an arena named after her, nothing about Snyder. Did he have an affair with her or something?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/24/2006, 06:00 PM
Paige Laurie is the daughter of Bill Laurie who was/is one of the primary contributors to the MU program as well as by all accounts a major tool. The arena was named for a while the Paige Sports Arena after his daughter who was basically busted for hiring some other student to do all her schoolwork (at UCLA since she didn't go to MU). The idea of naming an arena after a Paris Hilton wannabe didn't go so well so the name was changed. I still call it the Paige and don't acknowledge the name change.

That's about the 10-cent version of the story.

skycat
1/24/2006, 06:33 PM
them ole boys in Missouri call him "Queeney" because deep down inside they're having strange feelings toward him.

It's the hair.

SoonerInKCMO
1/24/2006, 09:10 PM
Paige Laurie is the daughter of Bill Laurie who was/is one of the primary contributors to the MU program as well as by all accounts a major tool. The arena was named for a while the Paige Sports Arena after his daughter who was basically busted for hiring some other student to do all her schoolwork (at UCLA since she didn't go to MU). The idea of naming an arena after a Paris Hilton wannabe didn't go so well so the name was changed. I still call it the Paige and don't acknowledge the name change.

That's about the 10-cent version of the story.

That'd actually be USC.

Wouldn't want the Trojans to miss out on whatever credit they're due. ;)

King Crimson
1/24/2006, 09:55 PM
puff piece.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/26/2006, 11:11 AM
That'd actually be USC.

Wouldn't want the Trojans to miss out on whatever credit they're due. ;)

Yes, USC sorry.

MU had a meltdown of epic proportions last night so I would say Snyder is pretty much a lame duck coach at this point.