PDA

View Full Version : Its been a tough day.

Okla-homey
1/23/2006, 07:52 PM
We had to put our oldest dog down today.

She was two weeks beyond her sixteenth birthday. She had been in pretty good health, got around okay, still got fired-up occasionally and loved to eat her supper. She started downhill on Saturday, and this morning, we kinda knew it was time. The vet did a couple tests and determined her kidneys had failed and it was irreversible.

Mrs Homey and I met at the vets at 4pm and there, as Mrs held her, her suffering was ended.

She had a great run. 16 years for a canine is pretty darn good.

Even though when they get that old, you figure it could happen anytime, it still rips your heart out when that day comes.

So here's to "Bieke," a female schipperke who went along with us without complaint and helped make the houses we lived in during most of our Air Force odyssey into homes; texass, Kansas, Ohio, back to Kansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama and finally here in Oklahoma.

We'll miss her, and our daughter doesn't really remember a time she didn't have this little black, tailless dog who, when they were both very young, allowed her to dress it in baby clothes and roll her around in a baby stroller. That dog had the most patience with little kids of any dog I've ever known.:D

RIP puppy. 1990 - 2006.

We'll never forget you.

proud gonzo
1/23/2006, 07:55 PM
awww, sorry to hear that Homey

AlbqSooner
1/23/2006, 08:01 PM
One of the toughest things we do is put a pet down.

One of the most loving things we do is put a pet down when it is time.

LilSooner
1/23/2006, 08:06 PM
Homey, I can't tell you how sorry I am. This is the suckiest of the suck.

85Sooner
1/23/2006, 08:07 PM
Condolances to you and your family. I know that had to be hard. Hopefully you have some good pictures or video to remember from.

oumartin
1/23/2006, 08:12 PM
sorry to hear that Homey,
thats why I don't have an animal.

soonernation
1/23/2006, 08:12 PM
Sorry to hear that. We had to put our Husky down in December. We had her for 13 years. It sucks to have to do that but it's better than them suffering. My wife found some help at Rainbow Bridge.

RainbowBridge (http://rainbowsbridge.com/hello.htm)

BajaOklahoma
1/23/2006, 08:23 PM
So sorry for the Homey family. We've had to do it several times over the years. It is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my long life.

Tailwind
1/23/2006, 08:29 PM
RIP, Beike. That's sad Homey. You'll miss your friend.

Howzit
1/23/2006, 08:30 PM
Sorry, Homey. It's amazing how entwined in our lives our pets become.

Jimminy Crimson
1/23/2006, 11:19 PM
Sorry to hear, Homes.

Times like this is why they have us to look after them. You did the right thing.

You have another at home, right? Hope he/she is handling it well. :(

GottaHavePride
1/23/2006, 11:56 PM
Wow, that does suck, Homey.