PDA

View Full Version : Best Pictures

yermom
1/23/2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Academy_Awards_USA/

i have missed 3 in like 20 years

i can't believe i still haven't seen Schindler's List (no i wasn't making out in the theater)

are Shakespeare in Love and The English Patient worth seeing?

OUthunder
1/23/2006, 04:06 PM
The English Patient had lots of boobies and hair pie scenes.

Highly recommended!

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 04:06 PM
NO and NO

skycat
1/23/2006, 04:23 PM
Shakespeare in Love was pretty good. I've never seen The English Patient, and don't have any desire to change that in the near future.

crawfish
1/23/2006, 04:24 PM
are Shakespeare in Love and The English Patient worth seeing?

NO to the first.

QUINTUPLE NO to the second.

I feel about "The English Patient" what Frozen feels about "Gladiator". Worst best picture movie ever.

Okieflyer
1/23/2006, 04:26 PM
ROBOT MONSTER! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046248/)

SoonerInKCMO
1/23/2006, 04:39 PM
Man. I've seen a grand total of nine of the winners all-time.

Casablanca
Ben-Hur
My Fair Lady
Patton
The Godfather
Rocky
Platoon
Schindler's List
Gladiator

I've seen parts of others on the boob tube ... but not the whole movies.

skycat
1/23/2006, 04:46 PM
Looking at the last 20 years the only ones I haven't seen are The English Patient, Chicago, and Dances with Wolves.

I've never been able to get through Dances with Wolves when it's been on TV.

Is Chicago worth it?

BeetDigger
1/23/2006, 04:56 PM
Surprisingly, I liked Chicago. I was impressed with the singing abilities of most of the cast. You have to force yourself to get into it though.

yermom
1/23/2006, 05:02 PM
mmm... Catherine Zeta Jones...

i wasn't that impressed with Chicago, but it's not awful or anything

yermom
1/23/2006, 05:06 PM
Man. I've seen a grand total of nine of the winners all-time.

Casablanca
Ben-Hur
My Fair Lady
Patton
The Godfather
Rocky
Platoon
Schindler's List
Gladiator

I've seen parts of others on the boob tube ... but not the whole movies.

Midnight Cowboy was worth it just for the Seinfeld references

IB4OU2
1/23/2006, 05:16 PM
I viewed 'Million Dollar Baby' last night for the first time and thought it was an excellent movie, one of Clint's best performances by far. Shakespeare in love was pretty good since I'm a Gwenyth fan.

GottaHavePride
1/23/2006, 05:21 PM
I've seen 12 of the last 20. I basically didn't see any of the winners from 1993 to 2000. Gladiator was where I picked back up.

handcrafted
1/23/2006, 05:22 PM
Shakespeare YES - it's farging hilarious and the acting is great
English Patient NO - major chick flick and it's not even a good one. booo-ring.

And you must see Schindler's List. Absolutely as astoundingly good as it is disturbing. It'll go down as Spielberg's masterpiece.

TopDaugIn2000
1/23/2006, 05:25 PM
Is Chicago worth it?

I LOVED Chicago. Watch it every freakin time it's on Bravo (and also have it on DVD)

Also saw the live performance.......****in awesome.

skycat
1/23/2006, 05:33 PM
I viewed 'Million Dollar Baby' last night for the first time and thought it was an excellent movie, one of Clint's best performances by far. Shakespeare in love was pretty good since I'm a Gwenyth fan.

I hated, hated, hated, Million Dollar Baby.

Eastwood has turned into a depressed old man.

WisconsinSooner
1/23/2006, 05:54 PM
I have seen them all since 1964. I would say yes to Shakespeare and no to English Patient. But like IB4OU2 I am a Gwenyth fan even though rumor has it she stole the script for Shakespeare from Winona Ryder.

BeetDigger
1/23/2006, 06:23 PM
Shakespeare in love was pretty good since I'm a fan of Gwenyth's breasts.

Fixed. :D

proud gonzo
1/23/2006, 06:28 PM
Shakespeare YES - it's farging hilarious and the acting is great
English Patient NO - major chick flick and it's not even a good one. booo-ring.

And you must see Schindler's List. Absolutely as astoundingly good as it is disturbing. It'll go down as Spielberg's masterpiece.
I am offended by that! Shakespeare in love was wonderful but the english patient was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. I hated hated hated it and I would like to track down every person who made it and demand the three hours of my life back. ARGH. :mad:

IB4OU2
1/23/2006, 10:29 PM
Fixed. :D
:D

crawfish
1/23/2006, 10:34 PM
I am offended by that! Shakespeare in love was wonderful but the english patient was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. I hated hated hated it and I would like to track down every person who made it and demand the three hours of my life back. ARGH. :mad:

Word.

We need to make frozen watch it so he'll stop whining about Gladiator...

Norm In Norman
1/23/2006, 10:58 PM
OK, what is the earlierst winner you have watched? Me? All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Al Gore
1/23/2006, 11:03 PM
I have seen 16 total.......where is Fast Times at Ridgemont High????

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2006, 11:03 PM
OK, what is the earlierst winner you have watched? Me? All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

that'd be mine as well

i went back to 81 in order to have seen 20..

Blue
1/23/2006, 11:05 PM
Patton (1970). I've only seen 18 of those.

WisconsinSooner
1/23/2006, 11:20 PM

I've seen 68. Earliest 1930 "All Quiet on the Western Front."

Ya I watch a lot of old movies.

KaiserSooner
1/23/2006, 11:22 PM
I've seen 54 of those all the way through.

19 of the last 20. I haven't seen English Patient, and don't plan to.

The earliest I've seen is Grand Hotel, from 1932.

BeetDigger
1/23/2006, 11:52 PM
The earliest one that I saw in the theater is The Sting. The whole family went. Even as a kid I liked it, although I didn't follow it completely.

I also loved Bridge Over River Kwai. That song still jumps into my head as soon as I hear the title. Although I did not see this one in the theater. :D

KaiserSooner
1/24/2006, 12:52 AM
Haven't seen Bridge on the River Kwai, though I want to. Probably the most famous of those movies I haven't seen is Gone With The Wind.

PhxSooner
1/24/2006, 12:56 AM
Haven't seen Bridge on the River Kwai, though I want to. Probably the most famous of those movies I haven't seen is Gone With The Wind.
Why do you hate the south?;)

yermom
1/24/2006, 02:02 AM
The earliest one that I saw in the theater is The Sting. The whole family went. Even as a kid I liked it, although I didn't follow it completely.

I also loved Bridge Over River Kwai. That song still jumps into my head as soon as I hear the title. Although I did not see this one in the theater. :D

yeah, i know the song and i've never seen it

i have seen it on a few times, and it weirds me out to see Obi Wan on TV :D

the oldest one i've seen is Gone With The Wind

StoopTroup
1/24/2006, 04:40 AM
I haven't seen Chicago...

I probably won't ever see it unless they try to snuff me ala "A Clockwork Orange".

http://sneakpeektv.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/alex-clockwork-orange.jpg

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/24/2006, 06:48 AM
How did The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly manage to come up with nothing...

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/24/2006, 06:51 AM
A Man for all Seasons beat The, Good, the Bad, and the Ugly eeeeekk!!

mrowl
1/24/2006, 07:07 AM
Shakespeare in Love: Suck
English Patient: really suck
Million Dollar Baby: really, really suck, over-rated crap

Harry Beanbag
1/24/2006, 07:12 AM
I've only seen 22 of them with Mutiny on the Bounty being the earliest.

Okla-homey
1/24/2006, 07:24 AM
A few years ago, just for giggles, we rented The Apartment which won "AMPAS Best Picture" honors in the year of our birth, 1960. It stars Jack Lemmon and a then, young, hawt, Shirley MacLain. It is a very good flick.

just saying.

BeetDigger
1/24/2006, 10:02 AM

Gone with the Wind is good. Just make sure that you have plenty of time to see it. I think it's 3.5 hours or so. They had an intermission built in to it.

Speaking of long movies, did The Right Stuff win? It should have. It is a long movie but it is awesome.

Harry Beanbag
1/24/2006, 10:04 AM
Speaking of long movies, did The Right Stuff win? It should have. It is a long movie but it is awesome.

Terms of Endearment won that year. :O

Pieces Hit
1/24/2006, 10:29 AM
You gays and your movies. I don't watch movies. Real men hang a deer from a tree and watch it sway in the wind as the blood drains from it's lifeless body. And then we get naked and make snow angels in the blood. But I call 'em blood angels. I tell you, the fun never stops with a deer carcass.

NormanPride
1/24/2006, 10:47 AM
I haven't seen many of those, but I'm not much for movies that make me depressed.

Oh, and Chicago was awful. Hey, let's repeat the same tune over and over and sing different lyrics every time! One of the few movies I fell asleep during.