PDA

View Full Version : ONEPEAT.COM lawsuit? I hate trojans.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/23/2006, 11:43 AM
http://mb25.scout.com/fuscfansfrm14.showMessage?topicID=504.topic

This is idiotic! Any of you lawyer types have an opinion on this?

no one
1/23/2006, 11:46 AM
I just think it's funny they actually raised the money to do it

Jimminy Crimson
1/23/2006, 11:48 AM
talk about panties in a wad! :D

CatfishSooner
1/23/2006, 11:52 AM
they're just a little bitter I think...

no one
1/23/2006, 11:52 AM
http://www.londonstimes.us/toons/cartoons/johann_wedgie.gif

yermom
1/23/2006, 12:01 PM
i hope they vandalize the sign, so they can get sued :P

Jason White's Third Knee
1/23/2006, 12:06 PM
Seriously! All the talk of destroying property is just fine with them. Amazing.

soonerlaw
1/23/2006, 12:19 PM
The main concern, in my opinion, would be the use of any pictures that may be copyrighted, or possibly using the name "USC" or "LSU" in a certain design and/or color which may also be copyrighted by the school. Other than that, as long as they follow the advertising laws and guidelines of CA, it should be okay. Its a lot like those Truth Smoking Ads - USC may not like it, but if its the truth, the public has a right to know and the creator of onepeat has a right to buy a billboard and advertise/inform.

milesl
1/23/2006, 12:22 PM
what a fu*king crybaby. obviously a liberal. you hurt my feelings so I need to sue. get over it, and quit drinking from the media hype. you are in a weak conference and that is why you were undefeated for so long. You had maybe one of the best offenses in football, but it is defenses that when championships and your defense was nothing special. And no, you are NOT one of the best teams ever.

Desert Sapper
1/23/2006, 12:44 PM
Frivolous lawsuits are just part of the California way of life. The funny thing is that a judge will likely award damages to the plaintiffs.

Widescreen
1/23/2006, 12:46 PM
That thread is up to 8 pages. Unbelievable.

CtheB
1/23/2006, 01:23 PM
Just think how mad they'll be when the Tshirts come out. :)

IronSooner
1/23/2006, 01:30 PM
The main concern, in my opinion, would be the use of any pictures that may be copyrighted, or possibly using the name "USC" or "LSU" in a certain design and/or color which may also be copyrighted by the school. Other than that, as long as they follow the advertising laws and guidelines of CA, it should be okay. Its a lot like those Truth Smoking Ads - USC may not like it, but if its the truth, the public has a right to know and the creator of onepeat has a right to buy a billboard and advertise/inform.

That's what I was thinking while skimming it. One of their possible causes of action was false advertising. What? They have pictures, real pictures, of 3 different teams kissing a ball. How is that false? I'm a little unclear on what constitutes negligence in that situation also.

The budding vandalism conspiracy is humorous though.

Soonermagik
1/23/2006, 01:58 PM
http://mb25.scout.com/fuscfansfrm14.showMessage?topicID=504.topic

This is idiotic! Any of you lawyer types have an opinion on this?

I work for a plaintiff firm and that case is going no where. What damages are there:confused: People need to learn how to take a joke!!! :mad:

FaninAma
1/23/2006, 02:03 PM
With all due respect to our esteemed HMFIC with whom I am good friends......LAWYERS SUCK!!!!!!

OUDoc
1/23/2006, 02:05 PM
Geez. Not a lawyer but there's nothing to sue over.

Fugue
1/23/2006, 02:06 PM
With all due respect to our esteemed HMFIC with whom I was good friends......LAWYERS SUCK!!!!!!

:eddie:

Landthief 1972
1/23/2006, 02:09 PM
And people wonder why there is such an outcry for tort reform.

Only in Cali.

Big Red Ron
1/23/2006, 03:13 PM
good times

ultimatesooner1
1/23/2006, 03:13 PM
3. Loss of consortium

um yeah

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 04:05 PM
I hate it when I lose my consortium. That's why I got the consortium finder. I press this little button on my keychain and my consortium beeps at me so I can locate it! Voila! No loss of consortium!

PDXsooner
1/23/2006, 04:06 PM
can texas a&m sue USC over their 65-years-too-late claim of the 1939 title?

CORNholio
1/23/2006, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=6 gallons of black paint and 2 six-packs of beer.

The LA Tea Party. Who's with me?!
[/QUOTE]

2 six packs? Frigging lightweight leftcoasters.

I assumed an LA Tea Party infered "teabagging".

CORNholio
1/23/2006, 04:17 PM

http://www.liquidcrack.com/portfolio/images/main/logo.gif

Now here is a valid objective for those little pencil peters.
Can we get them to back this some how?

FlatheadSooner
1/23/2006, 04:20 PM
good times

It's pure joy to sit back and watch things unravel for SUC.
:)

Texas Golfer
1/23/2006, 04:46 PM
If USCLawGirl thinks there's a case to be made against OnePeat.com, I don't see many victories in her legal career.

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 05:08 PM
If USCLawGirl thinks there's a case to be made against OnePeat.com, I don't see many victories in her legal career.

She's probably not a lawyer, she's probably a lawyer's girl. In which case, she probably gets a lot of "victories"...

LosAngelesSooner
1/23/2006, 05:15 PM
Regarding these posts:

what a fu*king crybaby. obviously a liberal...
Frivolous lawsuits are just part of the California way of life. The funny thing is that a judge will likely award damages to the plaintiffs.
Seriously! All the talk of destroying property is just fine with them. Amazing.

Oh, come on...like you've never seen a bullet hole riddled Stop Sign in Oklahoma?!?

A. Look...are there silly lawsuits in California? Of course. Are there just as many silly lawsuits in other states? Yes, there are.

B. Is it likely that this billboard, if made, will be vandalized? Yes, it is. But two points that should be made regarding this are: 1. Pretty much every billboard around USC campus, which is located in a rougher neighborhood in East L.A. that has a serious gang problem, ARE ALREADY tagged by vandals. AND... 2. If someone, let's say from Texas, purchased a billboard across the street from the North Oval proclaiming their superiority and rubbing our noses in our loss to them last year, do you guys ACTUALLY THINK that thing would stay up for more than 72 hours? If it wasn't burned to the ground, by our law abiding, public/private property respecting 18-22 year old students, then I'm SURE the various gun toting locals (yes, I was one of them) would make sure to "leave their mark" on the billboard. What's more...I'd be disappointed if they DIDN'T.

C. Are the USC fans being whiny, gripy little crybabies about this whole thing? YES. THEY ARE. And I'm loving every stinking minute of it!

But get off the retarded "they must obviously be Liberals" argument and the "all Californians are wacked out nutjobs" position and just realize that USC is known for being the University of Spoiled Children and chalk all that talk up to one big, collective temper tantrum.

:D

SkipTracer
1/23/2006, 06:56 PM
They'll probably sue for mope & attempted gawkery.:D

Cam
1/23/2006, 07:24 PM
B. Is it likely that this billboard, if made, will be vandalized? Yes, it is. But two points that should be made regarding this are: 1. Pretty much every billboard around USC campus, which is located in a rougher neighborhood in East L.A. that has a serious gang problem, ARE ALREADY tagged by vandals. AND... 2. If someone, let's say from Texas, purchased a billboard across the street from the North Oval proclaiming their superiority and rubbing our noses in our loss to them last year, do you guys ACTUALLY THINK that thing would stay up for more than 72 hours? If it wasn't burned to the ground, by our law abiding, public/private property respecting 18-22 year old students, then I'm SURE the various gun toting locals (yes, I was one of them) would make sure to "leave their mark" on the billboard. What's more...I'd be disappointed if they DIDN'T.
The OU Club of Austin buys billboard space directly from UT's stadium every year for the couple of days before the RRS. This was the first year in quite some time that they didn't sell it to them. Never got vandalized, but the signs in such a place that there's a very real chance of loss of life or limb if you tried.

LosAngelesSooner
1/23/2006, 09:17 PM
And I wouldn't blame you guys if you DID vandalize it, because I'd personally fly back to Norman and destroy a billboard that you guys had decided to place near our glorious campus.

Whorns....

;)

bluedogok
1/23/2006, 09:27 PM
The OU Club of Austin buys billboard space directly from UT's stadium every year for the couple of days before the RRS. This was the first year in quite some time that they didn't sell it to them. Never got vandalized, but the signs in such a place that there's a very real chance of loss of life or limb if you tried.
OU Club of Austin - I-35 Billboard History (http://www.ouclubofaustin.com/billboardhistory.htm)

Billboard Company Disallows OUr Sign! (http://www.ouclubofaustin.com/online_updates/2005/050919.htm) text from the link below.

Billboard Company Disallows OUr Sign!

The posting of our “Clever Endeavor” OU Billboard Sign across from the UT Stadium on I-35 has come to an end – again!! OUr history on this sign is almost legendary now! We began posting our poignantly prickly messages on this very same, strategically located, high traffic count Daily Marquee billboard when our club was first organized-- back in the late 80’s/early 90’s. But by about 1992-93, a group of irritated UT alumni bought out the board indefinitely and forced us off the annual Friday-before-the-game showing of this unique posting of OUr message for the next decade. Then, upon a little research and a challenge from our founding President in 2003, we discovered the board was under new ownership. So we made a deal to get back on it – also indefinitely!

Unfortunately, our “indefinite” time has again come to an end – at least for now. The owner of the board has suddenly told us that he feels he’s lost too much potential business, supposedly due to a few comments made to him by UT business supporters since last year’s highly publicized message. (The owner’s family members are UT supporters and no doubt had strongly influenced his decision!) So, even though we had a business agreement to allow us indefinite “right of first refusal” on the board each Friday before the OU/UT game, the owner is using the only “out” in our agreement – which says, “so long as it does not adversely effect his business revenue”. He claims his revenue is down this year.

We’ve checked every other stretch of highway between Austin and Dallas, and there is no other Daily Marquee billboard available. We even checked into flying a slogan behind a small airplane or blimp with our message -- – either during the game, or up and down the I-35 corridor before the game. But that is prohibitively expensive and not an available option at this point in time.

Soooo, we’re left without a message venue to appropriately post upon this year. And that sucks!

emoinwinter
1/23/2006, 09:43 PM
Its funny how none of them come to the stark realization that the billboard is true...

Jason White's Third Knee
1/23/2006, 10:04 PM
Regarding these posts:

Oh, come on...like you've never seen a bullet hole riddled Stop Sign in Oklahoma?!?

But get off the retarded "they must obviously be Liberals" argument and the "all Californians are wacked out nutjobs" position and just realize that USC is known for being the University of Spoiled Children and chalk all that talk up to one big, collective temper tantrum.

I've seen many defaced pieces of property in my life. Many stop signs are shot by shotguns. Regardless of the location, I feel that shooting a stop sign is really ****ing stupid. Vandalism should be punished by caining.

I used to live in Cali myself. In general, I personally didn't care for the people. Cali seems to foster a very self centered attitude.

westcoast_sooner
1/23/2006, 10:16 PM
Those guys are in full melt down. Pretty doggone funny to see the condoms in this state. Wonder what would happen if/when they start out the season 2-3 next year?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/23/2006, 10:29 PM
I haven't looked at their, but they have had some really close calls the past few years and without Reggie Bush bailing them out, they had better nut up. Those games against Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Fresno State, and ND would be LOSSES. I like that.

LosAngelesSooner
1/23/2006, 10:37 PM
I've seen many defaced pieces of property in my life. Many stop signs are shot by shotguns. Regardless of the location, I feel that shooting a stop sign is really ****ing stupid. Vandalism should be punished by caining.
I agree, but I wasn't saying it was okay. My point was that it's not limited to SoCal. It's...well, I think you get my point.

I used to live in Cali myself. In general, I personally didn't care for the people. Cali seems to foster a very self centered attitude.

In your opinion. I happen to disagree.

Collier11
1/23/2006, 11:04 PM

The truth smoking ads are paid for by the tobacco companies, thats a bit different I think

emoinwinter
1/23/2006, 11:49 PM
The truth smoking ads are paid for by the tobacco companies, thats a bit different I think

how does that work?

Collier11
1/24/2006, 12:04 AM
it was a part of the lawsuit against the big tobacco companies, part of the settlement

starclassic tama
1/24/2006, 01:51 AM
so it says that they already raised more than enough money for the billboard, is it up yet?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/24/2006, 09:55 AM
I agree, but I wasn't saying it was okay. My point was that it's not limited to SoCal. It's...well, I think you get my point.

The reason that I found it ironic enough to mention is that the thread was rolling due to a thin litigation theory. They would have to fight to prove that something was done against the law... or damages done.

When an obvous law breakage like vandalism is brought up, they had no problem with it. See the irony?

In your opinion. I happen to disagree.

Let's put it this way, when people come back from California, they don't say, "That was the friendliest bunch of people I have ever come across!"

I can sum up California by watching movies from the 1980's. Every pathetic stereotype ever conceived was portrayed in a movie during that decade. (Stereotypes that many of us would have never seen without those movies) That same bunch of clowns that capitalized on those sorry movies is now very vocal about how inequality is rampant. .. while Samuel L. Jackson's movies have grossed over 6 billion dollars. Incredible.

A great percentage of californians are out of touch with reality. I love OU football. Jason White is not a rockstar hanging out at OKC's hotspots. Snoop is not rocking OU's locker rooms. The Terminator is not Oklahoma's governor. Oklahoma is not a Mecca for transvestites. I cannot buy a 1500 sq foot house for a million dollars in Oklahoma. Oklahoma's millionaires do not state on camera that they will move to a different country if USA doesn't change it's evil ways. Oklahoma does not have studios lined up to put winners like "Small Wonder" on the air.

California is just WAAAAAYYYYYYY different than the rest of the country. It is centered around the Hollywood and San Francisco cultures. These are two vocal and powerful cities, but their ideals are contrary to the majority of America. They all seem to be screaming, "Look at me! Look at me!!! See how different I am? I am an individual!!! Behold my individuality!" And then they wonder why everyone thinks they are wierdos.

OUthunder
1/24/2006, 09:59 AM
Meltdown

NormanPride
1/24/2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/cover_art/meltdown.jpg

mdklatt
1/24/2006, 11:36 AM
Oklahoma is not a Mecca for transvestites.

The Southwest's Largest Gay Resort (http://www.habanainn.com/)

California is just WAAAAAYYYYYYY different than the rest of the country. It is centered around the Hollywood and San Francisco cultures.

I used to think that until I went to San Diego last year. San Diego is very normal--very un-California. I imagine the other large cities that aren't LA or San Francisco aren't much different than Dallas or Houston. Even LA reminded me mostly of Houston--lots of cars, can't go anywhere where everybody is speaking English, and palm trees.

Tear Down This Wall
1/24/2006, 11:49 AM
Here's the deal. I have a law degree. No big deal. But, even those without a law degree can see that this is a flaming example of what is called a frivolous lawsuit.

Not surprisingly, though, an idiot in leftist California thinks some USC fans' pride is worth clogging up the already overburdened legal system. Overlawyered.com material for sure, homies.

Here's my sports take on the matter - get a playoff and there won't be split national title squabbles, legal or otherwise. Oh, yeah...at 10:53 a.m. Central Standard Time...on January 24, 2006...Texas still sucks.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/24/2006, 01:52 PM
The Southwest's Largest Gay Resort (http://www.habanainn.com/)

I used to think that until I went to San Diego last year. San Diego is very normal--very un-California. I imagine the other large cities that aren't LA or San Francisco aren't much different than Dallas or Houston. Even LA reminded me mostly of Houston--lots of cars, can't go anywhere where everybody is speaking English, and palm trees.

San Diego is a fairly unfriendly city. I was there for the Holiday Bowl and while I have little to complain about, the people that worked there did not go out of their to help out. Just not friendly people, that's all.

LosAngelesSooner
1/24/2006, 01:57 PM
The reason that I found it ironic enough to mention is that the thread was rolling due to a thin litigation theory. They would have to fight to prove that something was done against the law... or damages done.

When an obvous law breakage like vandalism is brought up, they had no problem with it. See the irony?

Let's put it this way, when people come back from California, they don't say, "That was the friendliest bunch of people I have ever come across!"

I can sum up California by watching movies from the 1980's. Every pathetic stereotype ever conceived was portrayed in a movie during that decade. (Stereotypes that many of us would have never seen without those movies) That same bunch of clowns that capitalized on those sorry movies is now very vocal about how inequality is rampant. .. while Samuel L. Jackson's movies have grossed over 6 billion dollars. Incredible.

A great percentage of californians are out of touch with reality. I love OU football. Jason White is not a rockstar hanging out at OKC's hotspots. Snoop is not rocking OU's locker rooms. The Terminator is not Oklahoma's governor. Oklahoma is not a Mecca for transvestites. I cannot buy a 1500 sq foot house for a million dollars in Oklahoma. Oklahoma's millionaires do not state on camera that they will move to a different country if USA doesn't change it's evil ways. Oklahoma does not have studios lined up to put winners like "Small Wonder" on the air.

California is just WAAAAAYYYYYYY different than the rest of the country. It is centered around the Hollywood and San Francisco cultures. These are two vocal and powerful cities, but their ideals are contrary to the majority of America. They all seem to be screaming, "Look at me! Look at me!!! See how different I am? I am an individual!!! Behold my individuality!" And then they wonder why everyone thinks they are wierdos.

Well, to get into all the points I disagree with or feel are completely inaccurate would be a total threadjack. But take this for what it's worth: I feel that the friends I've made in California are more genuine, more sincere, more honest than almost any of the people I knew while I lived in Oklahoma. I still have a few good friends in Oklahoma, but the best I've ever had were out here.

The rest I just leave at: I don't think you're correct, sir. Not one bit.

mdklatt
1/24/2006, 01:58 PM
San Diego is a fairly unfriendly city. I was there for the Holiday Bowl and while I have little to complain about, the people that worked there did not go out of their to help out. Just not friendly people, that's all.

That's true most everywhere outside of the South.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/24/2006, 03:20 PM

You're right. Thank you.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/24/2006, 05:09 PM
That's true most everywhere outside of the South.

See, now I think that is the general opinion, but when i went to Lincoln, Nebraska, people were great. Another super friendly town was New York. That was a shocker.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/24/2006, 05:27 PM
Well, to get into all the points I disagree with or feel are completely inaccurate would be a total threadjack. But take this for what it's worth: I feel that the friends I've made in California are more genuine, more sincere, more honest than almost any of the people I knew while I lived in Oklahoma. I still have a few good friends in Oklahoma, but the best I've ever had were out here.

The rest I just leave at: I don't think you're correct, sir. Not one bit.

Sounds like a slap on Oklahomans to me, but I am glad that you made some friends. It may be that you fit in with the social climate of California better than I do. While I am not overly conservative, I find the type of rhetoric coming from California skewed in a fashion that is abrasive to me. As I said earlier, the ideology feels radically different and I think that is due to a mixture of cultures climates, financial and otherwise, that exist no where else. You have a mix of different ethnicities and an economy that is all it's own and drives prices to a level that is hard to understand outside of California. Many of the most opinionated have access to massive media outlets to expess themselves and minions fumbling all over themselves to aim a mic towards the mouths. While these same multimillionaires pontificate about inequities, etc., the rest of the country rolls their eyes in amazement. If you've ever been to Hollywood, you know that everyone there is an actor... even if they are serving you an Egg McMuffin. That's gotta mess with your head.

Octavian
1/24/2006, 05:52 PM

California is unique but its not that different from the rest of the country. Its also possesses cutures that diverge substantially depending on where one is in CA.

Personalization and hyper-individualism is the one common strain among Americans from coast to coast. License plates, iPods, Blackberries, credit card designs, cars, computers, virtually everything...can now be customized on a mass scale. Americans from coast to coast love to personalize objects to fit themselves.

But yeah, they're still weirdos.

Octavian
1/24/2006, 05:55 PM
Oklahoma is unique. So is VA. And NY. So is FLA. And AZ. Its one of the best things about America IMO.

jrsooner
1/24/2006, 07:34 PM
I feel that the friends I've made in California are more genuine, more sincere, more honest than almost any of the people I knew while I lived in Oklahoma.Where as I've lived in 2 different CA towns growing up, most of my dad's family lives there, and once Uncle Oliver died (about 30 years ago), I've had no desire what-so-ever to step foot in that state again. Whereas with Oklahoma, that's a place that I'd gladly retire to!

Soonerus
1/24/2006, 10:38 PM
Two thoughts....freedom of speech and truth as a defense...lawsuit a big loser...

LosAngelesSooner
1/25/2006, 05:22 AM
Sounds like a slap on Oklahomans to me, but I am glad that you made some friends. It may be that you fit in with the social climate of California better than I do. While I am not overly conservative, I find the type of rhetoric coming from California skewed in a fashion that is abrasive to me. As I said earlier, the ideology feels radically different and I think that is due to a mixture of cultures climates, financial and otherwise, that exist no where else. You have a mix of different ethnicities and an economy that is all it's own and drives prices to a level that is hard to understand outside of California. Many of the most opinionated have access to massive media outlets to expess themselves and minions fumbling all over themselves to aim a mic towards the mouths. While these same multimillionaires pontificate about inequities, etc., the rest of the country rolls their eyes in amazement. If you've ever been to Hollywood, you know that everyone there is an actor... even if they are serving you an Egg McMuffin. That's gotta mess with your head.

Once again...I think you're very, very wrong.

LosAngelesSooner
1/25/2006, 05:24 AM
Where as I've lived in 2 different CA towns growing up, most of my dad's family lives there, and once Uncle Oliver died (about 30 years ago), I've had no desire what-so-ever to step foot in that state again. Whereas with Oklahoma, that's a place that I'd gladly retire to!
Well, great! I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Oklahoma or Oklahomans at all. I'm glad you like Oklahoma. I do too.

Boffingham
1/25/2006, 05:34 AM
can somebody post the article. i'm in the desert and they won't let me on that webpage.

buda

Jason White's Third Knee
1/25/2006, 09:39 AM
can somebody post the article. i'm in the desert and they won't let me on that webpage.

buda

It's not an article. It's the trojan fan site. It was at 8 pages of posts last I checked.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/25/2006, 10:02 AM
Once again...I think you're very, very wrong.Once again...I think you're very, very wrong.

About which part?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee
Sounds like a slap on Oklahomans to me, but I am glad that you made some friends.
You said that you found Californians more honest and genuine. That seems insulting to Oklahomans.

It may be that you fit in with the social climate of California better than I do. I have to be right here.

While I am not overly conservative, I find the type of rhetoric coming from California skewed in a fashion that is abrasive to me. I am definately right here.

As I said earlier, the ideology feels radically different and I think that is due to a mixture of cultures climates, financial and otherwise, that exist no where else. Here?

You have a mix of different ethnicities and an economy that is all it's own and drives prices to a level that is hard to understand outside of California.This seems to be a fairly reasonable statement.

Many of the most opinionated have access to massive media outlets to expess themselves and minions fumbling all over themselves to aim a mic towards the mouths. This statemement seems obvious. I mean with the Tim Robbins, Linda Rhondstats, Barbara Striesands, George Clooneys, Alec Baldwins, Susan Surrandons, etc. The outlandish threats that these and other "stars" make put a bad taste in my mouth. This is the only country on the planet that would give them the opportunity to live out their fairy-tale lives. There is no way that they are in touch with reality. While they have every right to say the things that they say, I damned sure don't have to like it. I also flat out refuse to see any of their movies until I can do so for free. I don't want then to get one nickle that I earn. The types of things that come out of their mouths would get them beheaded in many of the countries that they clammor for. The level of absurdity is off the charts. I grew up with an awesome respect for our country and while I don't agree with many of our policies, I will not disrespect my countrymen by threatening to leave it. I will also not bash America for it's stance in world affairs. Even if I did bash America, I don't have anyone following me around to print it or show the tape on Entertainment Tonight.

While these same multimillionaires pontificate about inequities, etc., the rest of the country rolls their eyes in amazement. Well, I did generalize here. I guess I roll my eyes and assume that everyone else does when I hear a multimillionaire bitch about how tough things are for some people.

If you've ever been to Hollywood, you know that everyone there is an actor... even if they are serving you an Egg McMuffin. That's gotta mess with your head. Much of the time that I spent in Cali was in Hollywood, and this statement is erroneous. Only half are actors. The other half is split up between screen writers, rockstars and pan handlers.

Desert Sapper
1/25/2006, 10:49 AM
I think California is a beautiful state, a state I used to live in, a state that I wouldn't mind going back to. My maternal grandparents live there. Some of the best people I have known are from there. Some of my best friends are Californians. However, I think Californians as a whole tend to be far more liberal than the rest of the country. I also think that most Californians live in a fantasy world of their own design (primarily because of the media outlets previously mentioned, and the movie stars that provide constant input to such outlets). Many residents of Los Angeles and San Francisco (just as many residents of New York - the city, not the state or the metro area) consider themselves to be 'artists' of some form or another, whether because they enjoy to doodle, write, or pretend. The vast majority of these do not do these things for a living.

On a separate note, I think Trojan 'fans' are mostly band-wagoners, and I find it hilarious that any of them would suggest this lawsuit. I don't, on the other hand, find it surprising.

Desert Sapper
1/25/2006, 10:57 AM
I think Oklahoma is a beautiful state, a state I used to live in, a state that I wouldn't mind going back to. My paternal grandmother and most of my extended family lives there. Some of the best people I have known are from there. Some of my best friends are Oklahomans. However, I think Oklahomans as a whole tend to be far more conservative than the rest of the country. I also think that most Oklahomans live in the real world because they have to, even if some of their opinions come from popular media sources.

On a separate note, I think the championship year of 2000 produced many Sooner band-wagoners, several of whom fluttered away last season (just as their predecessors did in the 1990s). I expect to see more this year.

Big Red Ron
1/25/2006, 10:59 AM
Cali has some good people and it's really not that bad. It's certainly better than the eastern sea board states. That being said, if you are white, you are a minority. Fly into LAX and you can count white folks on one hand. (NTTIAWWT)

Jason White's Third Knee
1/25/2006, 11:32 AM
California is a beautiful state. I love the weather. I love the beach. I just didn't find the people, as a whole, very endearing. Pasadena is beautiful. I love Balboa. I can say lots of great things about the state. Love Tahoe. Love Santa Monica. Love the Palisades. Lot's of great topography there.

LosAngelesSooner
1/25/2006, 02:53 PM
About which part?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee
Sounds like a slap on Oklahomans to me, but I am glad that you made some friends.
You said that you found Californians more honest and genuine. That seems insulting to Oklahomans.

It may be that you fit in with the social climate of California better than I do. I have to be right here.

While I am not overly conservative, I find the type of rhetoric coming from California skewed in a fashion that is abrasive to me. I am definately right here.

As I said earlier, the ideology feels radically different and I think that is due to a mixture of cultures climates, financial and otherwise, that exist no where else. Here?

You have a mix of different ethnicities and an economy that is all it's own and drives prices to a level that is hard to understand outside of California.This seems to be a fairly reasonable statement.

Many of the most opinionated have access to massive media outlets to expess themselves and minions fumbling all over themselves to aim a mic towards the mouths. This statemement seems obvious. I mean with the Tim Robbins, Linda Rhondstats, Barbara Striesands, George Clooneys, Alec Baldwins, Susan Surrandons, etc. The outlandish threats that these and other "stars" make put a bad taste in my mouth. This is the only country on the planet that would give them the opportunity to live out their fairy-tale lives. There is no way that they are in touch with reality. While they have every right to say the things that they say, I damned sure don't have to like it. I also flat out refuse to see any of their movies until I can do so for free. I don't want then to get one nickle that I earn. The types of things that come out of their mouths would get them beheaded in many of the countries that they clammor for. The level of absurdity is off the charts. I grew up with an awesome respect for our country and while I don't agree with many of our policies, I will not disrespect my countrymen by threatening to leave it. I will also not bash America for it's stance in world affairs. Even if I did bash America, I don't have anyone following me around to print it or show the tape on Entertainment Tonight.

While these same multimillionaires pontificate about inequities, etc., the rest of the country rolls their eyes in amazement. Well, I did generalize here. I guess I roll my eyes and assume that everyone else does when I hear a multimillionaire bitch about how tough things are for some people.

If you've ever been to Hollywood, you know that everyone there is an actor... even if they are serving you an Egg McMuffin. That's gotta mess with your head. Much of the time that I spent in Cali was in Hollywood, and this statement is erroneous. Only half are actors. The other half is split up between screen writers, rockstars and pan handlers.

No offense, but I think this would be more appropriately held via PM. This is a total threadjack and it's quite obvious that you and I are going to vehemently disagree on quite a few points. So, if you'd like to continue it, feel free to PM me and we'll chat. I'm just not going to do it here.

Cool, man?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/25/2006, 10:25 PM
No offense, but I think this would be more appropriately held via PM. This is a total threadjack and it's quite obvious that you and I are going to vehemently disagree on quite a few points. So, if you'd like to continue it, feel free to PM me and we'll chat. I'm just not going to do it here.

Cool, man?

I see no reason to PM any of this. I don't care THAT much. I was just spouting why people were picking on Cali and then we batted it back and forth. And of course I had to back myself up when you said my opinions were wrong. They are just opinions. Anyway, can I really not jack my own thread?:mack:

LosAngelesSooner
1/25/2006, 10:41 PM
Sure, I guess you can threadjack your own thread. :D And I didn't mean to say your opinions are wrong it's just that I don't agree with them. I think it's obvious that you had a bad experience while you were in SoCal with many of the people that you met and that's what's coloring your opinion of people out here.

First thing: What I said about Californians being more honest and sincere wasn't meant as a slight on Oklahomans. (I think that's a 'glass is half-empty' interpretation of what I said) I never said that Oklahomans weren't honest or sincere. They were. I just said that I found Californians to be moreso. There's reasons for this...but it'll end up being a very long explanation that I'll only go into if you really want me to.

Secondly I take issue with the statement that everyone out here is either an actor or a writer or a musician (or wannabes of each). I know tons of people who range from Nurses to pharmacudical reps to liquor reps to lawyers to insurance workers to importers/exporters to day traders, etc...etc. People forget that Long Beach is the PRIMARY port for the entire Western United States. TONS of business comes through that port every day. There is so much more, business wise, to LA and SoCal than Hollywood that it's ignorant to imply otherwise. You're leaving out all the computer companies and internet companies who call LA home. I could go on for a very long time, but once again, I think you get my point.

The primary thing is this: Most people in Oklahoma do not like LA because of how they perceive it and the people who live there. However most of those perceptions are based on misconceptions. That's why so many people out here in SoCal get a little peeved when we're lumped into those areas. Maybe that's what you experienced while you were out here, but if that's the case then I'm sorry for you because you only experienced about 10% of what SoCal has to offer.

The dorky whiny babies who are crying for USC are the same group of dorky whiny babies who cried early this year for OU and said that we sucked and that all the coaches should be fired, etc...etc... There's just more of them out here because there are more people out here.

That's pretty much all I'm saying. I'm just trying really hard to be clear and not unintentionally offend anyone.

OUinFLA
1/25/2006, 10:42 PM
Anyway, can I really not jack my own thread?:mack:

Since you cant end one you started...
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9671

I think you should be entitled to jack one you started.

it's only fair

Jason White's Third Knee
1/25/2006, 11:59 PM
Sure, I guess you can threadjack your own thread. :D And I didn't mean to say your opinions are wrong it's just that I don't agree with them. I think it's obvious that you had a bad experience while you were in SoCal with many of the people that you met and that's what's coloring your opinion of people out here.

First thing: What I said about Californians being more honest and sincere wasn't meant as a slight on Oklahomans. (I think that's a 'glass is half-empty' interpretation of what I said) I never said that Oklahomans weren't honest or sincere. They were. I just said that I found Californians to be moreso. There's reasons for this...but it'll end up being a very long explanation that I'll only go into if you really want me to.

Secondly I take issue with the statement that everyone out here is either an actor or a writer or a musician (or wannabes of each). I know tons of people who range from Nurses to pharmacudical reps to liquor reps to lawyers to insurance workers to importers/exporters to day traders, etc...etc. People forget that Long Beach is the PRIMARY port for the entire Western United States. TONS of business comes through that port every day. There is so much more, business wise, to LA and SoCal than Hollywood that it's ignorant to imply otherwise. You're leaving out all the computer companies and internet companies who call LA home. I could go on for a very long time, but once again, I think you get my point.

The primary thing is this: Most people in Oklahoma do not like LA because of how they perceive it and the people who live there. However most of those perceptions are based on misconceptions. That's why so many people out here in SoCal get a little peeved when we're lumped into those areas. Maybe that's what you experienced while you were out here, but if that's the case then I'm sorry for you because you only experienced about 10% of what SoCal has to offer.

The dorky whiny babies who are crying for USC are the same group of dorky whiny babies who cried early this year for OU and said that we sucked and that all the coaches should be fired, etc...etc... There's just more of them out here because there are more people out here.

That's pretty much all I'm saying. I'm just trying really hard to be clear and not unintentionally offend anyone.

I don't think everyone in California is an actor. I said everyone in Hollywood is an actor... then I broadened it a bit. The reason that I, and others that share my opinion, have this view of Cali is because of the 2 big media blowtorches. LA and SF. That's where most of the rhetoric is spewed from and both towns are well equipped. Anyway, I have prattled on enough. Sleepytime.

MamaMia
1/26/2006, 01:16 AM
Sure, I guess you can threadjack your own thread. :D And I didn't mean to say your opinions are wrong it's just that I don't agree with them. I think it's obvious that you had a bad experience while you were in SoCal with many of the people that you met and that's what's coloring your opinion of people out here.I think its obvious that you had a bad experience while you were in Oklahoma with many of the people that you met and that's what's coloring your opinion of people out here.

LosAngelesSooner
1/26/2006, 05:19 AM
I think its obvious that you had a bad experience while you were in Oklahoma with many of the people that you met and that's what's coloring your opinion of people out here.
Nah. Not one bit. I spent quite a long time in both places, in several cities in each state. My perspective is quite well established on both places. Also, you'll almost never hear me say anything negative about Oklahoma in any of my posts. I have a great fondness for Oklahoma, but I do have to disagree with the general attitude of inherent superiority of the people of Oklahoma vs. the people of California that is so often expressed on this board. I honestly don't think that the people of Oklahoma are any more or less moral or virtuous than those of California. People, quite simply, are people. Given to the same frailties, vanities and temptations regardless of color, religion, gender or homeland.

But that wasn't the point of your post. You were trying to encite me due to past squabbles and you know it. So, please, let bygones be bygones and either contribute, make a silly joke, or just ignore me instead of trying to turn a good thread in a negative direction with petty comments. :)

crimson&cream
1/26/2006, 09:52 AM
what a fu*king crybaby. obviously a liberal. you hurt my feelings so I need to sue. get over it, and quit drinking from the media hype. you are in a weak conference and that is why you were undefeated for so long. You had maybe one of the best offenses in football, but it is defenses that when championships and your defense was nothing special. And no, you are NOT one of the best teams ever.
why is it to some everything thats doesn't agree with their code of conduct has to be a liberal, that is an old tiring cliche and has no place here. Unless of course your talking about the idiot in the White House-- Bushwacked that can't even talk sensible. Geez! Then again maybe this guy is a conserve since they have no concience or heart.:mad:

Jason White's Third Knee
1/26/2006, 10:39 AM
why is it to some everything thats doesn't agree with their code of conduct has to be a liberal, that is an old tiring cliche and has no place here. Unless of course your talking about the idiot in the White House-- Bushwacked that can't even talk sensible. Geez! Then again maybe this guy is a conserve since they have no concience or heart.:mad:
Uh, if you are going to call someone an idiot that can't talk, learn how to write. You have a crap load of errors in that 3 sentence statement.

Actually, let me re-write that for you.

Why do conservatives call everyone with a contrary opinion a liberal? That is an old, tired cliche and has no place on the football board. Unless you want to bash the idiot in the White House(I'll go for that!)-- Bushwacked doesn't ever make sense. Geez! Milesl is obviously a conservative and has no conscience or heart.:mad:

That's the best I could do. I could hardly make sense of it myself. Who has no heart? I think you meant Milesl.

Desert Sapper
1/26/2006, 10:48 AM

Sounds like a Liberal :rolleyes:

OUinFLA
1/26/2006, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a Liberal :rolleyes:

looks like a duck,
walks like a ............
Oh, sorry wrong thread. (or poster)