PDA

View Full Version : Hope no one ownes a blackberry...

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 11:27 AM
Cause it may not be working soon.

Supreme Court rules against BlackBerry
High court rejects Research in Motion petition to consider ruling that could shut e-mail service.
January 23, 2006: 10:58 AM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Supreme Court Monday turned down a request to review a major patent-infringement ruling against the maker of the BlackBerry e-mail device.

The high court rejected a petition by Research In Motion to review a federal appeals court ruling that could lead to a shutdown of most U.S. BlackBerry sales and service.

RIM (down $1.77 to $64.85, Research) shares fell 3 percent in morning trading on the Nasdaq, having fallen by as much as 5 percent immediately after the ruling.

On Oct. 26, Chief Justice John Roberts turned down a request by RIM to stay the lower court's patent infringement ruling while the high court considered whether to hear a RIM appeal.

The case goes back to 2002, when patent holding company NTP Inc. successfully sued RIM in a lower court. It won an injunction in 2003 to halt U.S. sales of the BlackBerry and shut down its service, although that ruling was stayed pending appeal.

The appeals court scaled back the initial ruling, but still concluded that RIM infringed on NTP patents.

RIM and NTP reached a tentative $450 million settlement on the dispute in March, but the deal fell apart in June. RIM wants the lower court to enforce the agreement.

NTP has asked the trial judge in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia to confirm the injunction. It has said an injunction would not affect BlackBerry products used by U.S. federal, state, or local governments.

RIM's total BlackBerry subscriber account base was approximately 4.3 million at the end of its fiscal third quarter. Despite the pending litigation, that base is growing, with the company adding about 645,000 new subscribers in the third quarter.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2006, 11:28 AM
NTP = scumbags.

mrowl
1/23/2006, 12:16 PM
damn crackberrys... good.

BillyBall
1/23/2006, 12:17 PM
This news is TERRIBLE......

Widescreen
1/23/2006, 12:33 PM
I really doubt that this signals the end of the Blackberry. I think eventually NTP and RIM will reach a settlement. There are too many blackberry subscribers for it to come crashing down.

yermom
1/23/2006, 01:13 PM
It has said an injunction would not affect BlackBerry products used by U.S. federal, state, or local governments.

w00t

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 02:06 PM
I doubt service ends either, but at this point NTP can gouge RIM in this deal. 450 Mil might be small change when its all over with. I just wonder if RIM will decide to cut its losses. I have seen this exact thing in another patent infring suit in the energy/renewable sector. It can get real nasty.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2006, 02:11 PM
When is NTP going to release their version of a blackberry anyway? :rolleyes:

yermom
1/23/2006, 03:01 PM
no ****e.

why doesn't one just buy the other or something? :D

Penguin
1/23/2006, 05:22 PM
NTP is a "patent holding company"? WTF? I guess the only way they make money is by filing lawsuits?

Good grief.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/23/2006, 05:47 PM
NTP is a "patent holding company"? WTF? I guess the only way they make money is by filing lawsuits?

Good grief.

yep, there is another company that was awarded patents for "conducting commerce over the internet" and "logging on securely to a website". they filed for the patents in 2001 and were awarded them last year. its part of the reason that software patents are so moronic. its not enough that they get copyright on the code...

Widescreen
1/23/2006, 06:20 PM
Our company has been pushing for software patent submissions like crazy for the last year because our "patent portfolio isn't strong enough".

47straight
1/24/2006, 10:14 AM
yep, there is another company that was awarded patents for "conducting commerce over the internet" and "logging on securely to a website". they filed for the patents in 2001 and were awarded them last year. its part of the reason that software patents are so moronic. its not enough that they get copyright on the code...

I'm quite certain that the patents were a little more detailed and narrow than that. Besides, conducting commerce over the internet would be a business method patent, and not a software patent.

mikeelikee
1/24/2006, 10:20 AM
I have one through my company. This will suck, if it stands.

StoopTroup
1/24/2006, 10:21 AM
Funny how a patent gets enforced once it makes millions or billions of dollars.

If you got ripped off by some corporation...your just some disgrutled ex-employee.

JohnnyMack
3/3/2006, 05:23 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11659304/

Blackberry settles.

No interruption of service.

49r
3/3/2006, 05:32 PM
Thank God...

I mean, "I don't give a rat's ***"

mikeelikee
3/3/2006, 05:56 PM
Whew! Thank God!