PDA

View Full Version : College students aren't very bright

mdklatt
1/23/2006, 11:07 AM
Study: College students lack literacy for complex tasks (http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/01/20/literacy.college.students.ap/index.html)

The students did the worst on matters involving math, according to the study.

Almost 20 percent of students pursuing four-year degrees had only basic quantitative skills. For example, the students could not estimate if their car had enough gas to get to the service station.

Is this a recent trend, or are people just stupid in general?

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 11:11 AM
Public Schools are getting worse IMO.

What is sad is that my company used to be able to hire kids right of our major state universities that had excellent engineering backgrounds and business knowledge, better than anywhere in the world I am told.

Today, the best kids are from foreign nations like India and China. My company goes to great risk to bring them on board because of this fact.

We are losing our competitive edge, and that needs to be fixed STAT! We spend so much more money on education than other countries do, but we are falling behind in engineering. And I believe it all starts in the home. The family is slowing collapsing in this country, and that needs to change too. Everyone from business to the church to the government is at fault for that one.

achiro
1/23/2006, 11:19 AM
My truck says I have 5 miles worth left in the tank, it is 4 miles to the nearest station, can I make it to the station.

How do you not know the answer to that?:eek:

mdklatt
1/23/2006, 11:22 AM
My truck says I have 5 miles worth left in the tank, it is 4 miles to the nearest station, can I make it to the station.

How do you not know the answer to that?:eek:

Could you figure it out without using the DTE function?

achiro
1/23/2006, 11:26 AM
Could you figure it out without using the DTE function?
:D Dang, only took one post for that reply.:(

Yes. Let me try again.

If my truck gets 10 mpg, and I have.5 gallons. The nearest service station is 4 miles away, can I make it?

Answer: "What's a service station?"

IronSooner
1/23/2006, 11:30 AM
:D Dang, only took one post for that reply.:(

Yes. Let me try again.

If my truck gets 10 mpg, and I have.5 gallons. The nearest service station is 4 miles away, can I make it?

Answer: "What's a service station?"

A restaurant north of Campus Corner in Norman. Duh.

mdklatt
1/23/2006, 11:31 AM
A ****ty restaurant north of Campus Corner in Norman. Duh.

Fixed. :D