PDA

View Full Version : Bell's Amusement Park: How Many More Years?

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 09:20 AM
In relation to the "old stores" thread;

I was thinking this weekend about how Bell's in Tulsa used to be so great when I was a kid in the 70's.

The park was in great shape and the attractions were mostly new.

Now it's just kinda depressing to walk thru.

Seems like they're just trying to stay open and nothing more.

How long till it's gone?

>>>>

I might also add - the ride vendor for the dang Tulsa fair sucks as does the Fair.

Mjcpr
1/23/2006, 09:21 AM
There was talk of Bell's moving to Jenks not too long ago. Not sure what became of it.

I don't think it's closing down any time soon.

IB4OU2
1/23/2006, 09:28 AM
I always thought Zingo was fun to ride....nice old wooden rollercoaster and you couldn't beat Phantasmagoria...........:D

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 09:32 AM
Bells is moving.

Robby Bell has the plans aready and they are looking into financing with the city of Jenks. I believe it will be a much larger area for the park to grow, and will be on the south side of the creek turnpike on the west side of the Arkansas River.

Tulsa - After more than fifty years, a Tulsa entertainment treasure could head to the suburbs. Bell's Amusement Park is considering a move to Jenks. NewsChannel 8's Diane Harrigan has the exclusive story.

Bell's Owner Robby Bell admitted on the record for us today. Jenks has been courting Bell's for more than a year. But, a move out of Tulsa depends on two things -- money and a new prime location in the community.
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0805/250614.html

We should hear more info soon. The County probably won't try to keep bells, and to tell you the truth it would be good for them to move IMO. They need to grow.

Mjcpr
1/23/2006, 09:34 AM
Have you had a change of heart? I thought you were panicking about this a few months ago.

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 09:37 AM
That would be cool.

Maybe they could get some new rides and overcome the noise restrictions they've had to deal with in that hood.

A new rollercoaster would be nice.

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 09:38 AM
Nah, don't think I was panicking, but I do think it would be better now than when I first heard about it.

What I was sick of was other towns coming in and feasting on the remains of Tulsa. Hell, we can't attract or keep businesses without corperate welfare it seems.

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 09:40 AM
And if they could move the Zingo and have it span the Arkansas River, that would be cool.

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 09:46 AM
From I understand, Zingo wouldn't move and just be a freestanding ride open only during the summer and during the fair.

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 09:51 AM
Now wait, let me get this, Bell's moves and the Zingo stays to be the only ride on that location in the summer months?

WTF?

That's silly.

Widescreen
1/23/2006, 10:36 AM
And if they could move the Zingo and have it span the Arkansas River, that would be cool.
Shouldn't be a problem. The river is about 20 feet across most of the time.

TheLurker
1/23/2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.secretfunspot.com/phantasmagoria.htm

Here is a flash cartoon featuring the phantasmagoria.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.secretfunspot.com/phantasmagoria.htm

Here is a flash cartoon featuring the phantasmagoria.

Sweet.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2006, 11:25 AM
Bells got ****ed cause they didn't get any Vision 2025 money so they told Tulsa they were moving to Jenks. Sounds like an attempt to try and hold Bells hostage while they get money out of the city of Tulsa. Only problem is Tulsa's government doesn't have the smarts to keep them around, the Bells don't have the money to move on their own and Jenks hasn't ponied up the money (bond issue) yet. Meanwhile Bells looks like **** and should be napalmed anyways.

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 11:26 AM
Bells Smells.

BudSooner
1/23/2006, 11:42 AM
It was around the same time that article came out that the owners of the Tulsa Drillers were pondering a move over to the west side of the Arkansas river, over by the floating stage.
Ok, I get the point about how Tulsa wants to add new attractions to the river(heard they had a variation on the OKC boat rides, yeah)but who the hell wants to see a game over across the river when the stadium is fine where it's at?

Drillers Stadium opened on April 16, 1981 and was known as Sutton Stadium. It was constructed as a 4,800 seat multi-purpose stadium that featured an artificial surface playing field. It has undergone four major renovations in its lifetime and is now a 10,997 seat baseball-only stadium that has a natural-grass playing surface. It was known as Tulsa County Stadium from 1983 through 1989 before being renamed Drillers Stadium in 1990. It is the largest Double A baseball stadium in the country.

Expansion, more revenue, gimme gimme, F'n leave some things alone..please.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2006, 11:49 AM
It was around the same time that article came out that the owners of the Tulsa Drillers were pondering a move over to the west side of the Arkansas river, over by the floating stage.
Ok, I get the point about how Tulsa wants to add new attractions to the river(heard they had a variation on the OKC boat rides, yeah)but who the hell wants to see a game over across the river when the stadium is fine where it's at?

Expansion, more revenue, gimme gimme, F'n leave some things alone..please.

More posturing and saber rattling by people who want money. The Drillers can't fill up the stadium they have now, and it's nice by AA standards.

GDC
1/23/2006, 11:59 AM
The Mind Melt is a good ride.

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 12:05 PM
Anyone remember the Red Rat or the 360 Movie on top of the concession stand?

Good Times.

yermom
1/23/2006, 03:25 PM
Anyone remember the Red Rat or the 360 Movie on top of the concession stand?

Good Times.

i don't know the Red Rat?

the 360 movie thing was kinda neat at the time

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 03:27 PM
The Red Rat was a really small wildmouse coaster.
It sat 2 people in tandem in each car.
Violent it was.
Bet they took it out due to injuries.

yermom
1/23/2006, 03:33 PM
you aren't talking about the Wildcat are you?

Widescreen
1/23/2006, 03:40 PM
Yes, the wildcat is the one they took out. It was pretty fun but I think somebody got killed on it.

Edit: By the way, someone getting killt reduced the funness somewhat.

Pricetag
1/23/2006, 03:42 PM
Wildcat was my favorite. I thought the drop was steeper than the one on Zingo.

yermom
1/23/2006, 03:42 PM
i remember hearing about that... i rode that thing all the time as a kid :(

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 03:53 PM
you aren't talking about the Wildcat are you?No, I'm talking aboout the Red Freaking RAT.
Circa 1976.
It was half the size (if that) of the Wildcat.

yermom
1/23/2006, 03:54 PM
most of 1976 i was fetal tissue, so i musta missed that one :D

SoonerInKCMO
1/23/2006, 04:44 PM
Nothing wrong with Bell's that a few sticks of dynamite and a couple bulldozers couldn't fix. :texan:

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 04:46 PM
Remember the water rides they had there? I can't imagine they still do that!

yermom
1/23/2006, 04:53 PM
White Lightning and Ol' Slippery?

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 04:58 PM
both.

Pricetag
1/23/2006, 05:01 PM
I remember Ol' Slippery was supposed to be the first waterslide in town that you didn't have to use the foam rubber mats to slide down, but the seams between sections of slide weren't exactly smooth, so they went to the mats pretty quickly after it opened and some people got the cheese grater treatment on their backs.

yermom
1/23/2006, 05:07 PM
i almost forgot the days before Big Splash :)

Pricetag
1/23/2006, 05:16 PM
i almost forgot the days before Big Splash :)
The Flume was the shiznit.

Actually, even thinking of that place fills me with dread. I was too young to ride down on my own then, so we had to ride down with older folks who told us to hold on to their legs. I took the instructions a bit too literally, not letting go when we hit the pool at the bottom, giving myself a good dunk. The really funny thing is that I had trouble getting the picture--I did it several more times that day after the first time.

Soonrboy
1/23/2006, 05:33 PM
I got my first french kiss on the phantasmagoria...from a miss hope browning