PDA

View Full Version : Let's pack The LNC Wednesday Night!!!

Sooner24
1/22/2006, 11:17 PM
If you are within driving distance of Norman come on out and pack the LNC for the OU Womens game against Texas. You will not have a better time at a basketball game this year. These girls are playing their hearts out and are getting better every game. Come on out and support the Sooner women.

http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AATH%3AWB05%3AB09%3A&linkID=ou&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Or call (800) 456-4668

Sooner24
1/23/2006, 06:21 PM
So is anyone going?

Paperclip
1/23/2006, 06:39 PM
I was thinking of going to see the Hornets and Spurs, but this idea has merit.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/23/2006, 08:44 PM
I'm there and I'm dragging all my deadbeat buddies with me.

Paperclip
1/23/2006, 09:37 PM
In!

SeattleOUstudent
1/23/2006, 09:43 PM
how bout I watch from my couch?

Sooner24
1/23/2006, 09:57 PM

The only way you are excused from going is if you have a doctors note or an excuse from your mom. ;)

Paperclip
1/23/2006, 09:57 PM
Sure, if you need to stay home and iron your skirt.

OUGreg723
1/23/2006, 10:35 PM
I'm down! Oh yeah, I'm stuck here in Herndon, VA....

You all don't know how lucky you are! GO TO THE FRICKIN' GAME!!

I WISH I WAS IN YOUR SHOES!!

AND GO NUTS WHEN YOUR THERE!!!

Collier11
1/23/2006, 10:59 PM
Sherri Coale> Kelvin Sampson...atleast she knows how to get your most dominant player more than 6 or 7 shots a game. Taj Gray should be putting up courtney paris like stats if we were using him right

TopDaugIn2000
1/24/2006, 10:19 AM
IN!
Just got my tickets. It's weird, I've never bought women's bball tickets before. I've either been in the TD suit or gotten in free as a student.
GO SOONERS!

NormanPride
1/24/2006, 10:22 AM
Stupid work and making me come in early! Otherwise I'd make the trek down from Tulsa...

AllAboutThe'O'
1/24/2006, 03:49 PM
I'm IN! Just got my tickets this afternoon.
Me and my co-worker buddy (who's not an OU fan BTW) is going to the game. He's threatening to wear his UT national championship shirt that a friend had gotten him, but I firmly believe that he'll be an OU convert when it's all said and done.:D
Go Sooners, Beat Texas.
Go Sooners, Beat Texas.
Go Sooners, Beat Texas.

TopDaugIn2000
1/24/2006, 05:28 PM
the BF is actuallly going with me. this could get interesting, he's never been to a game before.

Stanley1
1/24/2006, 05:48 PM
Sherri Coale> Kelvin Sampson...atleast she knows how to get your most dominant player more than 6 or 7 shots a game. Taj Gray should be putting up courtney paris like stats if we were using him right

<sigh>

I swear, sometimes I think we have the most ridiculous fan base in college sports.

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:07 PM
<sigh>

I swear, sometimes I think we have the most ridiculous fan base in college sports.

Are you serious...Taj gray was preseason big 12 player of the year, all american and by many accounts a first round draft pick and he is getting about 8 shots a game. Its not that hard to figure out why we cant score, our best player isnt touching the ball. Sampson says we cant get him the ball due to zones, well here is three simple solutions coming from someone who has played and coached basketball though not on a college level. Let him run the baseline and look for open spots in the zone, have him flash from elbow to elbow so he can he can dribble penetrate, or run more fast break offense since taj is at his best in the open floor.

Dont tell me about being a rediculous fan, atleast im coming with ideas and real problems rather than just saying kelvin sucks.

Stanley1
1/24/2006, 07:20 PM
I'll break this down for you point by point.

Are you serious...Taj gray was preseason big 12 player of the year, all american and by many accounts a first round draft pick and he is getting about 8 shots a game.

Taj Gray is not an NBA player. He has one, maybe two post moves, both of which are slow as hell. He gets most of his points on put backs and garbage buckets. Nothing wrong with that, just that he won't be successful at it in the NBA. He also plays terrible defense. Its true.

Its not that hard to figure out why we cant score, our best player isnt touching the ball. Sampson says we cant get him the ball due to zones.....

Uh.....we can't score b/c our guards have been terrible thus far. Not only are teams playing zone, they are packing the zone way in, and STILL double, and often triple teaming Taj. Taj doesn't have any "quick" offensive moves. That makes it VERY tough to score on the double team.

.....well here is three simple solutions coming from someone who has played and coached basketball though not on a college level. Let him run the baseline and look for open spots in the zone, have him flash from elbow to elbow so he can he can dribble penetrate, or run more fast break offense since taj is at his best in the open floor.

Wow.....bet Kelvin never thought of that. :rolleyes:

First, what is Taj going to do if he catches the ball on the baseline? He isn't a good jump shooter. That is a perfect place to trap a guy too, and Taj isn't a good passer. Sounds like alot of turnovers to me. You want him to get it at the elbow? Again, not his game. No jumper, and very limited in putting the ball on the ground and getting to the rim. Not his strength at all. But yea, lets take our best offensive rebounder, and move him away from the basket. Brilliant.

As for the fast breaks, that comes from defense. OU has been pushing the ball more since the Mizzou game, but with a young pg, and suspect perimeter defense still at times, we don't have the opportunities. You can't force it.

Dont tell me about being a rediculous fan, atleast im coming with ideas and real problems rather than just saying kelvin sucks.

How about letting Kelvin coach the team, mmkay? You don't see the players in practice everyday. You have no idea why he does some of the things he does. Kelvin has proven he can win games, and put a good offense on the court. As such, I'm not one to call for radical changes. Players win games, and right now, our guards aren't playing well enough to win them all. I've seen alot of improvement recently, and if it continues, we could still be a tough team to beat.

sooneron
1/24/2006, 07:28 PM
If I were in Norman, or Oklahoma, for that matter, I'd be yelling my balls off at the game on WednesdaY!!!!!

You guys that take Sooner sports for granted, men or women's don't know how great you have it.

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:35 PM
I never said I was a better coach than kelvin, all I did was offer an assesment as to why we struggle so much and thats what message boards are for, thats why we even have message boards for our opinions. As far as taj goes, you are way way off brother. Right now he is projected as a later first early second rd and they had a scout on espn.com the other day say that taj is early second and if he can add some muscle he could be a 1st rounder.

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:38 PM
Also, I never said we were a bad team which you are suggesting and ive NEVER seen us have a good offense which youve suggested that we have under kelvin. Kelvin is stubborn, he doesnt adapt to his talent which is what great coaches do. You make my point by saying that are gaurds are struggling, thats because kelvin recruited a bunch of athletes(taj, taylor, chris walker, terell, nate) so we could get up and down the court more yet he isnt doing it.

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:40 PM
Finally, letting taj run the baseline doesnt take away our best offensive rebounder, it gives him more oppurtunities for back door baskets and to get in position for rebounds. He is an athlete, thats why we need him moving around, not standing still posting up in the lane, thats not his game

Stanley1
1/24/2006, 07:43 PM
I never said I was a better coach than kelvin, all I did was offer an assesment as to why we struggle so much and thats what message boards are for, thats why we even have message boards for our opinions. As far as taj goes, you are way way off brother. Right now he is projected as a later first early second rd and they had a scout on espn.com the other day say that taj is early second and if he can add some muscle he could be a 1st rounder.

I don't care where he is projected. No way that boy is successful in the NBA with the game he has now. He can't play PF in the NBA, and there is no way in hell he is a SF in the NBA. He's a good college player, but his game doesn't translate to the NBA. A team might take a chance on him, but he won't stick. If Ace couldn't make it, Taj won't.

Stanley1
1/24/2006, 07:45 PM
Also, I never said we were a bad team which you are suggesting and ive NEVER seen us have a good offense which youve suggested that we have under kelvin. Kelvin is stubborn, he doesnt adapt to his talent which is what great coaches do. You make my point by saying that are gaurds are struggling, thats because kelvin recruited a bunch of athletes(taj, taylor, chris walker, terell, nate) so we could get up and down the court more yet he isnt doing it.

We didn't have a good offense the year we went to the Final 4? You just lost all credibility my friend. We've had several good offensive years in recent years.

We are stuggling b/c our two best guards not named Everett haven't been able to practice with the team for 3 months due to injury. Wait until AJ and Neal get healthy, then we can talk. And again, if you can't play defense and not turn the ball over, you can't run. Running for the sake of running is silly.

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:45 PM
Cool, so basically what youve determined is that this 'NBA SCOUT' who does this for a living is a fool??? Just asking because he is the one who said it, not me

Stanley1
1/24/2006, 07:47 PM
Finally, letting taj run the baseline doesnt take away our best offensive rebounder, it gives him more oppurtunities for back door baskets and to get in position for rebounds. He is an athlete, thats why we need him moving around, not standing still posting up in the lane, thats not his game

You are wanting him to do more than he is capable of. He needs to post up, where the change needs to come is our guards need to quit trying to get the ball inside so much. They MUST look to score, which will in turn open up the inside. It isn't rocket science. If a team wanted to, they could hold Shaq to a handful of shots per game. Taking away an inside guy is actually pretty easy to do.

Stanley1
1/24/2006, 07:49 PM
Cool, so basically what youve determined is that this 'NBA SCOUT' who does this for a living is a fool??? Just asking because he is the one who said it, not me

What, scouts never mis-judge a player? They are probably basing alot of their analysis on stats alone. I've seen Taj play for almost two seasons, and I'm telling you, no way he sticks on an NBA roster. I really believe that.

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:52 PM
We didn't have a good offense the year we went to the Final 4? You just lost all credibility my friend. We've had several good offensive years in recent years.

We are stuggling b/c our two best guards not named Everett haven't been able to practice with the team for 3 months due to injury. Wait until AJ and Neal get healthy, then we can talk. And again, if you can't play defense and not turn the ball over, you can't run. Running for the sake of running is silly.

Im talking about the Offense its self, that kelvin has in place. That year we averaged 78 ppg which in college is really good but not great( I assume you would agree with that) but also remember we had One of the top 5 players in the nation who was a jump shooter and a great half court point gaurd in quannas. My point that ive been trying to make is that the players kelving recruited are great athletes, not great set basketball players. Thats why I say we should run. It is true we have no great basketball players on this team, that is why they struggle so much in the set offense

Paperclip
1/24/2006, 07:52 PM
What, scouts never mis-judge a player?

That Jordan kid is ok, but we have a chance to take Sam Bowie!!

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:53 PM
What, scouts never mis-judge a player? They are probably basing alot of their analysis on stats alone. I've seen Taj play for almost two seasons, and I'm telling you, no way he sticks on an NBA roster. I really believe that.

How many teams draft the best athlete in the nba rather than the best basketball player, thats why we got beat in the olympics, they dont want great basketball players anymore, and that is why I feel like taj will make it.

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:54 PM
That Jordan kid is ok, but we have a chance to take Sam Bowie!!

I never said taj was going to be a superstar either

Collier11
1/24/2006, 07:55 PM
This is one of the best draft sites around http://nbadraft.net/, and look where they have taj. All im sayin is that Nba types like the guy, I never said he was great or the next jordan, just that they like that guy

Stanley1
1/24/2006, 08:46 PM
Fair enough, but we have vastly different opinions. I don't think he'll be a 1st round pick, but even if a team takes a chance, I'm saying there is not way he sticks on a roster, or gets meaningful minutes. You really think Taj can play PF in the NBA, but Ace can't? Ace was a stud by the time he graduated, but again, he doesn't have an NBA game.

The Original "soonerjeff"
1/24/2006, 10:09 PM
Wow. We finally get a good women's thread started, and men's ball takes over. Go figure...:confused:

I'll be at the game, in my season ticket seats!! (And yes, the trip to Baylor was awesome . We had just waited around a little while longer after the game we would have had our picture taken with Coach Coale. Ahhhh...:D

Collier11
1/24/2006, 10:39 PM
I really was shocked that ace didnt get picked up but his legal issues may have been part of the reason there. I dont know that he will have a long career but he is such a great athlete that someone will take a chance at him

Sooner24
1/24/2006, 11:35 PM
Glad to see some of you are coming to the game.

TopDaugIn2000
1/25/2006, 10:12 AM
Wow. We finally get a good women's thread started, and men's ball takes over. Go figure...:confused:

no freakin kidding

NormanPride
1/25/2006, 05:16 PM
Is it being shown in Tulsa?

TopDaugIn2000
1/25/2006, 05:28 PM
It's shown "nationally" on CSTV....if you are lucky enough to get that. Cox here doesn't have it. :mad:

Paperclip
1/25/2006, 06:48 PM
On my way!

TopDaugIn2000
1/26/2006, 09:53 AM
Was a great game. LNC looked pretty good too!

the BF did ok. Seemed to enjoy his first live bball game. The only thing was that he clapped for ALL baskets, saying they were all "nice shots" and deserved cheering (meaning for BOTH teams). Had to get after him a bit for that, but he did well overall.

Stanley1
1/28/2006, 11:44 PM
Now.....when Taj plays like this, he has a chance. Still don't think his game translates to the NBA, but he gets two thumbs up for tonight's performance.