PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Pat Forde: 06 Top 25

Octavian
1/22/2006, 08:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2299436

Maybe I'm just being an anti-Big East homer (which I'm proud of), but......#1 West Virginia?? C'mon...

snp
1/22/2006, 08:15 PM
With their schedule and the team they return, wouldn't doubt they end up there.

But didn't we say that last year about Louisville. UL will be tough with Brohm and Bush back, but like I care enough about the Big East to go look up returning starters.

We'll kick either of their asses.

Scott D
1/22/2006, 08:22 PM
Brohm is a crapshoot since he's coming back from a torn ACL. His reasoning for putting WVa as high as he did makes some sense, they return Slaton and White as experienced sophomores and should have a fairly 'safe' schedule. Besides, Forde's love affair is with the ACC just like Feldman's love affair is with 'The U'.

OUthunder
1/22/2006, 08:30 PM
If OU ends up in the top ten I'll be a happy Sooner!

Octavian
1/22/2006, 08:32 PM
With their schedule and the team they return, wouldn't doubt they end up there.

Yeah, but I never agree w/ starting a team ranked high simply b/c they play a weak schedule.

OU at #6...sounds about right.

snp
1/22/2006, 08:42 PM
Yeah, but I never agree w/ starting a team ranked high simply b/c they play a weak schedule.

Yea, but this way if it does happen he can whine "SEE!! I TOLD YOU I WAS RIGHT!" and if he's wrong, no biggie.

Remember everyone picking Purdue to end up in the Rose Bowl, or other ridiculous predictions? It's a no-lose situation for these guys.

Scott D
1/22/2006, 08:53 PM

yeah, but it's the proverbial BCS Bowl win trap with WVa. They did not only beat, but beat up on the SEC Champion, and you know how those 'experts' at ESPN feel about the SEC.

BASSooner
1/22/2006, 09:25 PM
He seems right about all of the stuff except for WV

FlatheadSooner
1/22/2006, 10:14 PM
QUOTE:
6. Oklahoma Sooners
Why: Adrian Peterson should return to Heisman contender form, Rhett Bomar should take a major step forward at quarterback, and the defense should be up to usual Bob Stoops standards.

Why not: A shaky offensive line in 2005 only gets younger in 2006. And although Bomar impressed with his toughness in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl, he's still got a long way to go before mastering his position.
UNQUOTE:

The offensive line may get younger, but no less experienced than last years. In fact, they may be more eager, and pumped, to be where they are.

From where Bomar started out last season compared to how he looked towards the end of season, I'd say it is likely he could be a Heisman contender in 2006. He made great strides this year and if he continues at same pace, he will be performing at a championship level.

GottaHavePride
1/22/2006, 10:43 PM
Hey, if our offensive line can determine starters and actually keep all five starters on campus leading into the first game, we'll start light-years ahead of this past season.

Blue
1/22/2006, 10:54 PM
Hopefully the coaches will spend every waking hour between now and September figuring out a way to make the O-line and Secondary championship caliber

BASSooner
1/22/2006, 10:55 PM
Hopefully the coaches will spend every waking hour between now and September figuring out a way to make the O-line and Secondary championship caliber
and thats what we do at OU:D

sooneron
1/22/2006, 10:56 PM
I'd be happy to finish top ten.

shavedmarmoset
1/23/2006, 01:28 AM
All I want is to beat Texas and OSU. Thats it.

Top ten would be nice though.

Blue
1/23/2006, 01:29 AM
I want a title. And I think we're getting there.

OU-HSV
1/23/2006, 01:42 AM
Hey, if our offensive line can determine starters and actually keep all five starters on campus leading into the first game, we'll start light-years ahead of this past season.
Great point there

Crimson Kid
1/23/2006, 07:32 AM
I want a title. And I think we're getting there.

Getting there yes, but next season, i just don't see it.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/23/2006, 08:52 AM
Pat Forde just lost all credibility...

West Virginia #1??? Get Real...
Notre Dame that high???
Texas not in the Top 10?

Im sorry, VY was good...but he wasnt THAT good.
OU at #6 SHOULD seem about right, but we will see if the line and secondary improves. I need the reassurances of a blowout to feel confident in that. Too many close games this past year against the so-so teams...

I believe it's too early to tell. Each one of these teams has the potential to be in the Top 10 or out of the Top 10. It will all be settled on the field.

And tOSU is way overrated. Never in my life have I heard of a team losing it's entire defense and being a favorite for the next season...

I predict lots of "O-VER-RAT-ED" cheers this fall.

sooneron
1/23/2006, 09:45 AM
Anyone have nd's sched for next year. Maybe Forde is seeing something. Like it or not, Weis has a lot of talent back on Offense and he is getting a pretty damn good class coming in. Whether or not they contribute? That's another story.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/23/2006, 09:58 AM
Notre Dames schedule is tough as hell next season!

RooseveltRoughRider
1/23/2006, 09:59 AM
Sept. 2 @ Georgia Tech tba tba
Sept. 9 Penn State tba NBC
Sept. 16 Michigan tba NBC
Sept. 23 @ Michigan State tba tba
Sept. 30 Purdue tba NBC
Oct. 7 Stanford tba NBC
Oct. 21 UCLA tba NBC
Oct. 28 @ Navy (site tba) tba tba
Nov. 4 North Carolina tba NBC
Nov. 11 @ Air Force tba tba
Nov. 25 @ USC tba tba

OUCH OUCH ad OUCH

RooseveltRoughRider
1/23/2006, 10:00 AM
Well not really...but it's no slouch either

jrsooner
1/23/2006, 10:03 AM
Anyone have nd's sched for next year.
From the Notre Dame website:

2006 Notre Dame Football Schedule
Sept. 2 at Georgia Tech
Sept. 9 PENN STATE
Sept. 16 MICHIGAN
Sept. 23 at Michigan State
Sept. 30 PURDUE
Oct. 7 STANFORD
Oct. 21 UCLA
Oct. 28 at Navy (Baltimore, Md.)
Nov. 4 NORTH CAROLINA
Nov. 11 at Air Force
Nov. 18 ARMY
Nov. 25 at USC

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 11:13 AM
Texas won't be in the top 10 until they prove they have an offense without VY.

I'll believe us at #6 when I see it... I think we'll be more different on defense than people think, unless Venables just wants to try and run the 4-3 as a base from now on...

Texas Golfer
1/23/2006, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure I'd put the Mountaineers at #1 but Stanton will be a Heisman contender.

MojoRisen
1/23/2006, 12:10 PM
From the Notre Dame website:

2006 Notre Dame Football Schedule
Sept. 2 at Georgia Tech
Sept. 9 PENN STATE
Sept. 16 MICHIGAN
Sept. 23 at Michigan State
Sept. 30 PURDUE
Oct. 7 STANFORD
Oct. 21 UCLA
Oct. 28 at Navy (Baltimore, Md.)
Nov. 4 NORTH CAROLINA
Nov. 11 at Air Force
Nov. 18 ARMY
Nov. 25 at USC

Shiitty thing is if Notre Dame wins 8-9 games they are BCS bound.

OU-HSV
1/23/2006, 05:39 PM
Notre Dame is gonna have a tough team this year...lots of experience in key positions coming back...and with the media Hard-on with the Irish, I'd expect them to be a top 3 team after winning a couple early games.

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 05:56 PM
If Notre Dame isn't #1 or #2 in the big poles, I'll eat dirt. The media has been prepping their jaw muscles on USC and Texas for the return of the Golden Time with Notre Dame. We'll hear about history. We'll hear about players. We'll hear about coaches. We'll hear about fans. Then when we know everything and are drooling babbling ND fans, they'll tell it all to us again.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the end of days.