PDA

View Full Version : Camping in the mountains question

royalfan5
1/22/2006, 12:01 PM
I'm considering going up into the mountains this summer. Does anyone have a recommendation about specifics places that I should look into visiting. I'm not real familiar with any of the Mountain Ranges in the United States, although at this point Colorado and Wyoming would be the easiest for me to visit.

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2006, 12:18 PM
My favorite thing. What kind of camping (backpacking, tent, trailer or what)? The West is full of great places but crowded in the summer. Early fall is the best.

usmc-sooner
1/22/2006, 12:27 PM
try Brokeback Mountain

oumartin
1/22/2006, 12:34 PM
try Brokeback Mountain

exactly, find you some gay cowboy.
probably a bunch down in the stillwater, austin, college station area

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2006, 12:39 PM
[SAE Mom]You guys are awful![/SAE Mom];)

BajaOklahoma
1/22/2006, 12:42 PM
The Sandia's used to have warning signs about the plague.
Kinda put me off camping in that area.

oumartin
1/22/2006, 12:44 PM
I actually recommend the Gloss mountain area of Oklahoma.

Scenic!

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2006, 12:48 PM
The Sandia's used to have warning signs about the plague.
Kinda put me off camping in that area.Just don't pet the prarie dogs.

usmc-sooner
1/22/2006, 12:50 PM
I think Colorado and Wyoming only have black bears but they both have mountain lions and I'd pack a pistol just in case.

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

oumartin
1/22/2006, 12:52 PM
oh Bears, those of you that know that term "bears" can fit that in with brokeback.

if you come across a Black "Bear" I feel sorry for you.

soonerbrat
1/22/2006, 01:03 PM
i like red river new mexico

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2006, 01:34 PM
Denali National Park

King Crimson
1/22/2006, 01:39 PM
for Colorado i'd recommend southern parts of the state over the 1-70 corridor/Summit County/etc. out of Denver. cheaper, less crowded. it's kind of a drag to get up high and see ski areas in all 4 directions....IMHO.

royalfan5
1/22/2006, 02:10 PM
My favorite thing. What kind of camping (backpacking, tent, trailer or what)? The West is full of great places but crowded in the summer. Early fall is the best.
I would more than likely take a tent.

MamaMia
1/22/2006, 02:17 PM
[SAE Mom]You guys are awful![/SAE Mom];)
:D

All I really have to say on the subject is, Run fast if you hear banjos. :P

Jimminy Crimson
1/22/2006, 02:26 PM
First you see Brokeback Mountain, now you want to go to the mountains of Wyoming.

One thing leads to another and next you'll find yourself grabbing your ankles. :eek:

;)

royalfan5
1/22/2006, 02:27 PM
First you see Brokeback Mountain, now you want to go to the mountains of Wyoming.

One thing leads to another and next you'll find yourself grabbing your ankles. :eek:

;)
Except for I am going by myself, and have been camping for years before that.

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2006, 02:32 PM
:D

All I really have to say on the subject is, Run fast if you hear banjos. :PAnd squeeeeel like a pig.:texan:

Okla-homey
1/22/2006, 02:44 PM
Go east young man. Check out the "Great Smokey Mountains National Recreation Area." Big plus, fewer bears, and purdy forests and waterfalls and such. If you feel particularly studly, try a bit of the AT.

StoopTroup
1/22/2006, 03:07 PM
What ever campsite you choose...you might make sure they aren't on this site as a Preferred site.

http://www.gaycityusa.com/Camping.htm

COLORADO

WESTON
Living Pool Inn B and B and Campground, 13900 Logging Canyon Road, Weston, CO 81091 Phone (719) 364-2069 Email: [email protected] A unique, thirty five acre mountain getaway in the pines that has panoramic views of the Sangre De Cristo Mountain Range, a place to commune with nature. The B and B with camping area is off scenic Highway Ledgends, one of the most beautiful by-ways in the US. The camping area has spacious, very private tent sites with porta potties, solar showers, potable water and a rental cabin, a green space where conservation is encouraged. Gay and lesbian, wood fired sauna, sweat lodge, hiking trail, mountain biking (rentals available), horse shoes, volleyball, men only and women only weekends. Coming soon, a living pool and new restrooms. Close by activities include, Great Sand Dune National Park, fishing, boating and canoeing, mountaineering and hunting. Cash or check at registration. Owned and operated by family. Grand opening 2006

soonerbrat
1/22/2006, 03:09 PM
What ever campsite you choose...you might make sure they aren't on this site as a Preferred site.

http://www.gaycityusa.com/Camping.htm

maybe that's what he's looking for really.

NTTAWWT

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/22/2006, 03:34 PM
I've been backpacking a half a dozen times in the San Juan Mountain Range between Creede and Pagosa Springs, Colorado. It's going to have some decent traffic in the summer time (you may run into 2 or 3 groups per day) but you can be as secluded as you want to be.

There will still be snow on the ground almost all the way through the summer, so bundle up at night. I think I may have some maps around here somewhere if you want me to do a little more research. I could even recommend a trailhead and route depending on the mileage you want to do.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=creede,+colorado+to+pagosa+springs+colorado&btnG=Search&ll=37.54855,-106.824975&spn=1.302182,1.73584&t=h

Blue
1/22/2006, 11:17 PM
Cool.

I'm planning a trip this September. A stop in Norman for the U-Dub game. Head out through Grand Canyon and Yosemite on my way to Eugene for OU-UO. Make my way back through Yellowstone and Glacier Natl Parks on my way to the OU-UAB game.

Two weeks. Should be pretty sweet.

SoonerWood
1/23/2006, 12:01 AM
Sounds like fun!

If it were me looking for mountains in September I'd head to Bellingham, Washingon, head out Mt. Baker Highway and spend a week or two hiding in the Cascade Mountains. It was never very crowded for all the time I spent out there. And you can sleep on a glacier if you want. :D

And if you like to fish, that time of year you have some great fishing - salmon and steelhead run up the Nooksack river which is right there where all the good hiking is.

And at the end of the trip go back down to Bellingham, charter a boat, and spend a day saltwater fishing in the Puget Sound.

Jeez I miss that place.

william_brasky
1/23/2006, 03:13 AM
If you decide to visit Jellystone, be wary of the bears there, especially if you have a picnic basket.

http://vegalleries.com/hbltd/Yogi01.jpg

1/23/2006, 07:39 AM
Thompson Canyon in CO has some great hiking and camping locations nearby.

As a kid, I was camping with my family near the Thompson Canyon when she flooded like an old flooding thing. Strangley enough, I have two friends I met many years later who were also kids camping with their families during the same event.

"See someone you know in Time Square...." whatever.

I have no idea what it is like now, but it was nice back in the day. Well, except for the flood thing.

http://www.weather.com/encyclopedia/flood/tom76.html

LoyalFan
1/23/2006, 08:45 AM
oh Bears, those of you that know that term "bears" can fit that in with brokeback.

if you come across a Black "Bear" I feel sorry for you.

Yew shore dew seem to know a lot about that stuff. Hmmmmm.

LF

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/23/2006, 11:53 AM
Try the Idaho side of the Tetons. Its about 30 minutes across the pass from Jackson Hole (No Brokeback Mtn Refs please). That keeps you close enough to visit but far enough away to avoid the people if you want. Snake River rafting and Yellowstone are good day trips.

BTW: Take some warm clothes just in case. When we were there in July, it snowed!!

FaninAma
1/23/2006, 12:03 PM
Rocky Mountain National Park is great. You can stay in Estes Park and there are hundreds of backpacking trails.