PDA

View Full Version : Another HDTV question...I am not a smart man

oumartin
1/22/2006, 11:15 AM
So, after our house purchase and a few appliances I have just a little $$ left over for my widescreen television.
I know you buffs won't like my choices but here goes.
my wife wants me to purchase the Magnavox 51" widescreen that doesn't have the hd tuner in it.
I wanna spend a couple hundred more and get the samsung 47" with hd tuner it it.
She is getting quite testy with me about this but I wanna darn widescreen now darn it.
which one of those two am I gonna be happier with?

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2006, 11:17 AM
if mama aint happy, aint nobody happy......

BajaOklahoma
1/22/2006, 11:20 AM
Get the Magnavox and a separate HD tuner.
You're welcome.

oumartin
1/22/2006, 11:20 AM
mama aint never happy!

got her a nice home to live in, new side by side and new washer/dryer and I still haven't broke in a room in the house yet.

JohnnyMack
1/22/2006, 12:27 PM
Depends on who your service provider is.

If you're using Cox cable or one of the satellite providers chances are good that they'll provide you with the HD converter. I have Cox and I got an HD monitor (no built in HD converter) as Cox provides the converter. In fact I don't think you can get HD signals with an HDTV from Cox, you have to buy an HD monitor and let them convert the signal for you.

HDTV's aren't usually necessary is what I'm saying. Monitors are the way to go.

oumartin
1/22/2006, 12:32 PM
so, what you are saying, so long as its an HD monitor it doesn't need the hd tuner, the tuner can be provided later and make the signal going to the hd monitor hd. the monitor only needs to be able to display the hd image?

85Sooner
1/22/2006, 12:59 PM
How much you got to spend?

JohnnyMack
1/22/2006, 01:01 PM
so, what you are saying, so long as its an HD monitor it doesn't need the hd tuner, the tuner can be provided later and make the signal going to the hd monitor hd. the monitor only needs to be able to display the hd image?

Yup.

Like I said, I think most HDTV's are totally incompatible with Cox's HD box.

85 is that correct?

85Sooner
1/22/2006, 01:04 PM
Yup.

Like I said, I think most HDTV's are totally incompatible with Cox's HD box.

85 is that correct?

True, By Law, as of July 31 of 2005 all Tv's 36" and above must have an onboard tuner. So...... any that are still out there are older models.

the next big date is the last day of march this year.

oumartin
1/22/2006, 01:05 PM
about 1,200 85.
I know its not much for a quality television but its what I have to spend. and that would be a max.

85Sooner
1/22/2006, 01:09 PM
about 1,200 85.
I know its not much for a quality television but its what I have to spend. and that would be a max.

call around and see if you can find a 51" Toshiba HDTV monitor. (there is no tuner in this tv) so you will need a vhs or cable box or sat box. but you should be able to find one for about 997.00 It is a crt but that is what I would look for. The model I believe is a 51HC85.

btw its not new technology, but it is a very good picture and is very reliable.you will be very pleased.

oumartin
1/22/2006, 01:12 PM
thank you 85. I will look around.
I need to get that empty corner in the living room filled with a television.

Hatfield
1/22/2006, 01:16 PM
85, is the sony grand wega a good tv? I am looking at the 42 inch....thanks.

oumartin
1/22/2006, 01:17 PM
i think thats what he told me to buy hat. it was a sony lcd something or other. but my wife shot me down

85Sooner
1/22/2006, 01:20 PM

Fan-dam-tastic! TV

Hatfield
1/22/2006, 01:20 PM
sweet. thanks.

Hatfield
1/22/2006, 01:21 PM
so with that tv and i will have to get cox to give me a hd converter box....is that how it works.

85Sooner
1/22/2006, 01:21 PM
i think thats what he told me to buy hat. it was a sony lcd something or other. but my wife shot me down

Remind her of the costs for the house, furniture, drapes etc.....

Darnit this is probably the only thing in the new house just for you. and its only 1599.00 for a tv that will last longer than any of the ones you had before and IT WILL take up alot less space. (Wives like that)

BudSooner
1/22/2006, 01:22 PM

Just a word, go to Consumer Reports and check out their ratings on HD tv's.
I've heard some grumblings about the Sony Wega tv's, however the brainiacs that call us do not have any idea as to how to setup their HD Directv receivers and tv's.....they must match the settings I:E: 720p on both the tv and receiver.

Don't even get me started when they ask what their tv must be set on when it comes to format of screen.:eek:

Hatfield
1/22/2006, 01:23 PM
I've heard some grumblings about the Sony Wega tv's, however the brainiacs that call us do not have any idea as to how to setup their HD Directv receivers and tv's.....they must match the settings I:E: 720p on both the tv and receiver.

Don't even get me started when they ask what their tv must be set on when it comes to format of screen.:eek:

yeah, i don't have any idea what you just said. lol

oumartin
1/22/2006, 01:28 PM
85, if i were to bring up costs of anything to her it might be another month w/o whoopie and no t.v. at all. I don't know if i can go much longer. I look like the dog from van wilder right now.

I just wanna be able to sit back and watch movies or games on something bigger than 27". I want a nice clean picture and sound that is comfortable on the ears.

85Sooner
1/22/2006, 01:34 PM
so with that tv and i will have to get cox to give me a hd converter box....is that how it works.

Only if you want pay per view capability or recorder utilities. Otherwise save some money and order the cable card.

85Sooner
1/22/2006, 01:36 PM

Thats a whole different story. But the sony's are the best.

85Sooner
1/22/2006, 02:19 PM
85, if i were to bring up costs of anything to her it might be another month w/o whoopie and no t.v. at all. I don't know if i can go much longer. I look like the dog from van wilder right now.

I just wanna be able to sit back and watch movies or games on something bigger than 27". I want a nice clean picture and sound that is comfortable on the ears.

Like I say, if you ain't getting any now, MIGHT AS WELL GET YOURSELF A NEW tv. If your gonna be sleepin on the couch, might as well have something good to watch:)

RacerX
1/22/2006, 08:50 PM
Fan-dam-tastic! TV
Unless you're my father-in-law.

Blue
1/22/2006, 10:47 PM
I just got a 51" Samsung DLP. It's fricken sweet. My cable company doesn't offer HD though. Bellsouth sucks.

Bonecrusher#31
1/22/2006, 11:40 PM
I'd stick with a Mitsubishi Widescreen...

They are the best....I have a 65in myself..:)