PDA

View Full Version : OT: OU Student Wins Miss America

SoonerMooner
1/21/2006, 11:39 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/01/21/miss.america.ap/index.html

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- A 22-year-old aspiring teacher from Oklahoma was crowned Miss America on Saturday night, the first time the storied but struggling pageant was held outside Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Jennifer Berry, a student at the University of Oklahoma, outlasted 51 other women to become Miss America 2006, earning a $30,000 college scholarship and a yearlong speaking tour in the process.

Miss Georgia Monica Pang was first runner-up and Miss Alabama Alexa Jones second runner-up. Miss Virginia Kristi Lauren Glakas and Miss District of Columbia Shannon Schambeau rounded out the top five. Miss Hawaii Malika Dudley won Miss Congeniality.

Berry, an advocate for the prevention of drunken driving, wowed the judges by dancing ballet for her talent routine. She succeeds Miss America 2005 Deidre Downs, who ended up wearing the crown 16 months because this year's pageant was postponed by four months.

An Atlantic City institution for 85 years, the pageant traded the Boardwalk for the Strip this year in a bid to revive interest. Without coverage from a major television network for the first time since 1954, it aired on Country Music Television.

The pageant, which dabbled in reality TV-style gimmicks in recent years as it tried to lure viewers back, struck a more old-fashioned theme this time out, despite the move to Sin City.

Video clips from old pageants were aired on the telecast, and two traditions that had been absent since the 1980s were revived: The women wore sashes naming their states and elected a Miss Congeniality.

KStatePike
1/21/2006, 11:42 PM
that is awesome

btw: why are there 52 contestants?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/21/2006, 11:42 PM
Damm we won American Idol, Finished second on that country Idol thing, win Miss America...if the girls and boys basketball, softball, and baseball win the National CHampionships and then Stoops takes it down next year...we will rule the world!!!

BajaOklahoma
1/21/2006, 11:49 PM
Miss Puerto Rico
Miss District of Columbia

Soonerman
1/22/2006, 12:42 AM
Props to her for mentioning that her "favorite sports team" was OU football, but how can her favorite actor be Matthew McConaughey? :mad:

Blue
1/22/2006, 01:00 AM
Cool.

1. The state I was born in and love.-Oklahoma

2. My home state- Alabama

3. The state I live in now-Georgia

Paperclip
1/22/2006, 01:06 AM
Miss Puerto Rico

Yes on DC, no on PR. Miss Virgin Islands

Jimminy Crimson
1/22/2006, 01:58 AM

What about Guam!? ;)

Texas Golfer
1/22/2006, 02:01 AM
Congratulations, Ms. Berry. You made OU proud!

RADsooner
1/22/2006, 02:07 AM
http://www.missoklahoma.org

heres a better pic

KStatePike
1/22/2006, 02:56 AM
http://www.missoklahoma.org

heres a better pic

i'd hit it

Jimminy Crimson
1/22/2006, 03:01 AM
i'd hit it

like a stack of pancakes?

IronSooner
1/22/2006, 03:03 AM
Not surprising that all the top finishers were from the south (Does DC count?). Illinois really needs to recruit some better female talent.

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2006, 03:06 AM
I'm gonna catch hell from gdc on this, but Miss texass is hawt!

snp
1/22/2006, 05:08 AM
Who else went staight to Facebook.

...I did.

Desert Sapper
1/22/2006, 08:28 AM
Without coverage from a major television network for the first time since 1954, it aired on Country Music Television.

Sad to think that the Miss America Pageant was not on network TV. I've never seen a ratings box, so I'm only guessing that the same people that watch 'Will and Grace' are the same ones that watch 'Fear Factor' and refuse to watch Miss America? Bringing down the fabric of our society...:(

BajaOklahoma
1/22/2006, 08:48 AM

Oooophs. Sorry.

PalmBeachSooner
1/22/2006, 09:02 AM
Miss Puerto Rico

Where was Miss

Guam
U.S. Virgin Islands
American Samoa
Northern Mariana Islands
Midway Islands
Wake Island
Johnston Atoll
Baker, Howland, and Jarvis Islands
Kingman Reef
Navassa Island
Palmyra Atoll ???

TripleOption14
1/22/2006, 09:02 AM
I'm happy for her and all but who cares about the miss america contest? Thats why the ratings are so low. Also i think the nation as a whole dropped it because they were missing their target crowd aka women. Now with that being said a lot of women imo would probably take offense to a show that subliminally tells them how they should look to be beautiful. In this new revolution of women independence they don't want a tv show telling them what america (and more importantly men) think is hot. And is beauty not in the eye of the beholder? I personally don't think shes all that.

SoonerMooner
1/22/2006, 09:29 AM
I'm happy for her and all but who cares about the miss america contest? Thats why the ratings are so low. Also i think the nation as a whole dropped it because they were missing their target crowd aka women. Now with that being said a lot of women imo would probably take offense to a show that subliminally tells them how they should look to be beautiful. In this new revolution of women independence they don't want a tv show telling them what america (and more importantly men) think is hot. And is beauty not in the eye of the beholder? I personally don't think shes all that.

Thank you for your "contribution" to this thread. Are you a disgruntled woman? Can't get a man? You sound like one.:norm:

TripleOption14
1/22/2006, 09:32 AM
Thank you for your "contribution" to this thread. Are you a disgruntled woman? Can't get a man? You sound like one.:norm:

I was responding to Sapper's post on why the ratings are so low you tard. :rolleyes:

josh09
1/22/2006, 11:03 AM
notice how they say nothing about the hick from texass

josh09
1/22/2006, 11:05 AM
that is awesome

btw: why are there 52 contestants?

Miss Puerto Rico and Miss Washington D.C.

panhandlesooner
1/22/2006, 01:36 PM
Where is her hometown?

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2006, 01:38 PM
Tulsa

Hence the shaved back and braided armpit hair.;)

panhandlesooner
1/22/2006, 01:40 PM
thanks, Flag!

SkipTracer
1/22/2006, 06:37 PM
The Pokies hate her. But they hate everyone. Even themselves.http://oklahomastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=193&tid=67235512&sid=&style=2
:eddie:

Soonerus
1/22/2006, 07:19 PM
The Pokies hate her. But they hate everyone. Even themselves.http://oklahomastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=193&tid=67235512&sid=&style=2
:eddie:

idiots with no boundaries...

StoopTroup
1/22/2006, 08:47 PM
pics in Fark Central.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60690

Paperclip
1/22/2006, 10:11 PM

One doesn't win this contest without talent and a brain. It's not just a beauty contest.

Paperclip
1/22/2006, 10:18 PM
Miss Puerto Rico and Miss Washington D.C.

Once again, no. Miss Virgin Islands, not Puerto Rico.

Boffingham
1/23/2006, 02:08 AM
let me know when she is in playboy

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/23/2006, 05:50 AM
Miss Puerto Rico and Washington D.C.

humblesooner
1/23/2006, 03:25 PM
Miss Puerto Rico and Washington D.C.

Miss Washington DC and Miss Puerto Rico!!

HAHAHAHAHA

???????????????????????:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 04:19 PM
Why isn't there a Miss France? :eek:

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 08:11 PM
Props to her for mentioning that her "favorite sports team" was OU football, but how can her favorite actor be Matthew McConaughey? :mad:

Happy Birthday BTW. :pop: