PDA

View Full Version : Hula Bowl

SoonerInKCMO
1/21/2006, 08:46 PM
The game isn't much to speak of (unless you want to see Brad Smith looking useless) ... but I thought it was interesting that the guys in the booth (Mark May, Bob Davie and Eric Collins) are all picking OU to be in the top 2-3 next year. I think Davie is putting them at #1 (I wasn't listening that closely because Davie is the most annoying announcer ever).

Big Red Ron
1/21/2006, 08:59 PM
The game isn't much to speak of (unless you want to see Brad Smith looking useless) ... but I thought it was interesting that the guys in the booth (Mark May, Bob Davie and Eric Collins) are all picking OU to be in the top 2-3 next year. I think Davie is putting them at #1 (I wasn't listening that closely because Davie is the most annoying announcer ever).*caugh* Bob Barry *caugh*

Blue
1/22/2006, 01:02 AM
The game isn't much to speak of (unless you want to see Brad Smith looking useless) ... but I thought it was interesting that the guys in the booth (Mark May, Bob Davie and Eric Collins) are all picking OU to be in the top 2-3 next year. I think Davie is putting them at #1 (I wasn't listening that closely because Davie is the most annoying announcer ever).

That's crazy. But I like it...

OU-HSV
1/22/2006, 01:06 AM
Actually, Davie had us as the "sleeper", but he didn't have us in his official top 5. The other two had us in their top 5..I think that Eric guy had us at #1.

Blue
1/22/2006, 01:13 AM
Be prepared for a Mark May-A.D. lovefest next year. It won't be as bad since it's our guy.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/22/2006, 01:15 AM
*cough* Bob Barry *cough*

fixed it. ;)

Texas Golfer
1/22/2006, 01:59 AM
Sorry, I missed it. Did we have anyone who played in the game?

OU-HSV
1/22/2006, 09:29 AM
Sorry, I missed it. Did we have anyone who played in the game?
no

Down Field Pitch
1/22/2006, 10:58 AM
I hate it when those guys respect us. I think we were playing like a Top 10-15 type of team the last 3 or 4 weeks. Same questions will surface again next year on O-Line and defensive secondary. Top 5 is too high . I would rather see them at 15 and work their way back.

Question : Can AD stay healthy an entire year with the # of times he carries? How about the O-line?

Octavian
1/22/2006, 11:06 AM
I would rather see them at 15 and work their way back.

Not in the BCS era

goingoneight
1/22/2006, 12:42 PM
I totally agree, I wish OU would totally get screwed by preseason rank and come in to prove everyone wrong... In 2000, which WAS BCS era, we were spotted at #20 going into the season, finished at the top. It just seems to me when OU has high pre-season hopes, they will do incredibly well, all the way up unitl the end...

Ex: 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 (though we got more than enough revenge on the aggies, faggies and fuskers... I still see a pattern here I don't like. Being on top seems to put teams on some kind of mental block, and only the strong survive... Ex: OU 2000, Miami 2001, USC 2005...

Don't you think it would be sweet to crawl back from the depths of nothing like JoePa did this past season, or like Bob did in 2000? To me, those are the most exciting teams to watch...

BoonesFarmSooner
1/22/2006, 01:04 PM
I think these were their picks:

Pre-season picks during half at Hula Bowl...

May

1. LSU
2. Oklahoma
3. West Virginia
4. Florida St
5. Iowa

Davie

1. Oklahoma
2. Florida
3. West Virginia
4. LSU
5. Notre Dame

Ware
1. OSU
2. LSU
3. West Virginia
4. Penn State
5. Oklahoma (Sleeper pick)

OU-HSV
1/22/2006, 01:48 PM
I think these were their picks:

Pre-season picks during half at Hula Bowl...

May

1. LSU
2. Oklahoma
3. West Virginia
4. Florida St
5. Iowa

Davie

1. Oklahoma
2. Florida
3. West Virginia
4. LSU
5. Notre Dame

Ware
1. OSU
2. LSU
3. West Virginia
4. Penn State
5. Oklahoma (Sleeper pick)
That seems like their picks..but like I said earlier in this thread, I'm almost positive that Davie was the one who named us the Sleeper team.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/23/2006, 09:18 AM
I think these "experts" are putting way to much emphasis on the 1 man approach. Aside from AD...why should OU be in the Top 5. Honestly?
Same goes for UT...with VY those same "experts" would have had the Horns at #1. Now they are nowhere to be seen. The 1 Guy approach...

I REALLY think we are getting too excited too early. The Sooners beat an overrated Oregon team. I need to see them CONVINCINGLY beat someone, anyone before I can be a believer. Are we being led to the slaughter by these people? Does this 2006 team seam anywhere NEAR the 2000,2003 or 2004 teams? As of right now, I say NO. But I hope they prove me wrong.

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 11:16 AM
I honestly don't think UO was that overrated. I didn't beleieve they could do half the things they did against us, but they looked okay. Granted, we should have won by more, but we didn't. I really think both of us should have been in the 10-15 range.

Texas Golfer
1/23/2006, 11:18 AM
I totally agree, I wish OU would totally get screwed by preseason rank and come in to prove everyone wrong... In 2000, which WAS BCS era, we were spotted at #20 going into the season, finished at the top. It just seems to me when OU has high pre-season hopes, they will do incredibly well, all the way up unitl the end...

Ex: 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 (though we got more than enough revenge on the aggies, faggies and fuskers... I still see a pattern here I don't like. Being on top seems to put teams on some kind of mental block, and only the strong survive... Ex: OU 2000, Miami 2001, USC 2005...

Don't you think it would be sweet to crawl back from the depths of nothing like JoePa did this past season, or like Bob did in 2000? To me, those are the most exciting teams to watch...

The reason we were able to move up from so far back in 2000 was that the Big XII was particularly strong that year and we beat them all, including #1 and #2 in consecutive weeks. #1 and #2 haven't lost any games in the last two years.

If we start so far back in 2006, we can't count on the top teams losing to anyone, especially by us since we won't be playing them (other than possibly UO or UT).

RooseveltRoughRider
1/23/2006, 11:20 AM
I honestly don't think UO was that overrated. I didn't beleieve they could do half the things they did against us, but they looked okay. Granted, we should have won by more, but we didn't. I really think both of us should have been in the 10-15 range.
I agree. OU should have never been below 15th.
All the teams that beat the Sooners were in the Top 10 at some point this season. For them not to be Top 25 at the end is criminal.