PDA

View Full Version : Big XII South: How Desperate is TX A&M?

SoonerMooner
1/21/2006, 03:41 PM
Just a thought. Texas A&M historically has been more than willing, particularly from a booster standpoint, to "bend" a few NCAA rules when it comes to recruiting. The list of A&M miscreants and misdeeds is too long to list.

My question is, how desperate do you think A&M "money" boosters, A&M's fanbase, and Francione have become after A&M appears to regress instead of progress under Fran? Particularly when faced with the twin juggernaut of OU and UT, an improving Tech, and a resurgent Baylor (Baylor should have beat A&M in College Station last year).:texan:

lufkinaggie07
1/21/2006, 05:30 PM
Are we desperate, yes, I would say we are tired of losing when we have the resources to win, but I hope it wouldn't come to cheating. OU @ A&M this season should be a very interesting game.

Big Red Ron
1/21/2006, 05:34 PM
Are we desperate, yes, I would say we are tired of losing when we have the resources to win, but I hope it wouldn't come to cheating. OU @ A&M this season should be a very interesting game.You're about to get passed in facilities by Okie State and have the same remote backwoods feeling type town. Aggy is as Aggie does.

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2006, 05:56 PM
What? aTm cheat!
never:rolleyes:

http://www.tarrantcountyaggies.org/activities/luncheons/Jackie_Sherrill.jpg

lufkinaggie07
1/21/2006, 06:09 PM
Like I said as fans we are tired of losing, as anyone one would be, but we have the resources to win and hopefully one day we will be playing for another Big 12 title.

Big Red Ron
1/21/2006, 06:14 PM
Like I said as fans we are tired of losing, as anyone one would be, but we have the resources to win and hopefully one day we will be playing for another Big 12 title.In all seriousness, don't you think your location hurts? I mean look at Austin and Norman (a part of the OKC Metro) and look at Stillwater and College Station.

lufkinaggie07
1/21/2006, 06:18 PM
I've never been to Norman but I can't imagine that its much more of a Metroplex area that Bryan/College Station is with about 130,000 people. You can't do anything about where your school is, you can't just move the campus to Dallas or Houston and relocate 45,000 students, but what you can control is your facilities and coaching which we have to do a better job of doing.

birddog
1/21/2006, 06:22 PM
Actually there's about 600,000 people in the OKC metro area. That's a touch more than what you are referring to. However, I went to the game there in 2000 and what you do have is a helluva stadium and great fan support. But, you've got a LONG way to go to compete for an NC.

Big Red Ron
1/21/2006, 06:23 PM
I've never been to Norman but I can't imagine that its much more of a Metroplex area that Bryan/College Station is with about 130,000 people. You can't do anything about where your school is, you can't just move the campus to Dallas or Houston and relocate 45,000 students, but what you can control is your facilities and coaching which we have to do a better job of doing.Uhm, Ive been to College Station and it is litterally in the middle of nowhere. Norman virtually part of Oklahoma City (you can't tell where the two cities start and begin)which has more than 1.1 million people (in all of the OKC Metro Area).

Big Red Ron
1/21/2006, 06:25 PM
I went to Aggyland two years ago. The stadium seemed like OUrs about twent years ago. The area I entered had dirt floors.

birddog
1/21/2006, 06:27 PM
It's still a great place to watch a game.

lufkinaggie07
1/21/2006, 06:28 PM
Like I said I've never been to Norman, didn't even know that it was apart OKC, but we can't control where our university is, its been here for 120 years, but what we can control is our facilities and coaching which we haven't done a very good job of doing. We'll see what happens this season, good luck to the sooners this season, OU has always been a team I've followed, maybe because yall hate texas as much as we do.

zeke
1/21/2006, 08:05 PM
As long as Fran is at a&m I hope they lose every game...even to texas.

KStatePike
1/21/2006, 08:21 PM
I've been to College Station and I liked it alot, and I lived in Manhattan, KS, for 2 years. Theres an aura around those college towns that Norman can't duplicate. Don't get me wrong, I love Norman. But I really feel that Norman is in too big of an area. Its really good for recruiting, but sometimes Norman feel like just another city, just like Im sure Austin, Lincoln and every other school in a big city does.

SoonerInKCMO
1/21/2006, 08:43 PM
Actually there's about 600,000 people in the OKC metro area. That's a touch more than what you are referring to. However, I went to the game there in 2000 and what you do have is a helluva stadium and great fan support. But, you've got a LONG way to go to compete for an NC.

It's between 1.1 and 1.2 million these days.

SoonerInKCMO
1/21/2006, 08:43 PM
I've been to College Station and I liked it alot, and I lived in Manhattan, KS, for 2 years. Theres an aura around those college towns that Norman can't duplicate. Don't get me wrong, I love Norman. But I really feel that Norman is in too big of an area. Its really good for recruiting, but sometimes Norman feel like just another city, just like Im sure Austin, Lincoln and every other school in a big city does.

Yeah. It's called "eau de cow ****". ;)

The Consumate Showman
1/21/2006, 09:40 PM
aTm and Big XII title game can't even be used RATIONALLY in a sentence. An aggy is an aggy is an aggy.....they wrastle good and that's about it. Everything else is mediocre.

However desperate aTm might be, I don't see them breaking an NCAA rules any time soon though. They are in a "rock-in-a-hard-place" in Tx. UT and OU are going to compete every year for the elite in Texas and Tech, aTm, Baylor and evryone else gets the dirty seconds. Yes aTm may get some good kids now and then(Jolly, Appel, Bennett, and McNeal are pretty good), but as far as getting the kids that will make them capable of winning a Big XII title again, they will need to start breaking some rules for that....

FlatheadSooner
1/21/2006, 10:24 PM

When were you last in Norman? It's like a small town with a fairly small campus, albeit some large buildings, and the stonehenge aura of Owen-Memorial Stadium. The traffic on gameday is horrific due to the two-way streets accessing the stadium. It's not "just another city", in fact it's quite a small campus feel compared to many other big-time programs.

:rolleyes:

KStatePike
1/21/2006, 11:09 PM
When were you last in Norman? It's like a small town with a fairly small campus, albeit some large buildings, and the stonehenge aura of Owen-Memorial Stadium. The traffic on gameday is horrific due to the two-way streets accessing the stadium. It's not "just another city", in fact it's quite a small campus feel compared to many other big-time programs.

:rolleyes:

Im typing this from Norman right now, looking at Owen Field through my window. I just transferred to OU to pursue a finance degree, because the business program at k-state is pretty bad. I guess that's just the homesickness in me comming out. I've always been an Oklahoma fan, both of my parents went here. I wouldn't have come here if I didn't like the town, but I do miss the small town feel like Manhattan.

Texas Golfer
1/22/2006, 01:55 AM
Im typing this from Norman right now, looking at Owen Field through my window. I just transferred to OU to pursue a finance degree, because the business program at k-state is pretty bad. I guess that's just the homesickness in me comming out. I've always been an Oklahoma fan, both of my parents went here. I wouldn't have come here if I didn't like the town, but I do miss the small town feel like Manhattan.

I got arrested in Manhattan. I got drunk and was doing swan dives in my Hanes off the second floor into the pool at the Holiday Inn.

The other patrons loved it because they made score cards and were grading my dives and my "style points". The manager had no sense of humor and called the cops.

NUSooner
1/22/2006, 02:03 AM
One advantage College Station has over Stillwater in recruiting is commercial air...since you can't fly recruits in on private planes anymore.

BASSooner
1/22/2006, 02:05 AM
One advantage College Station has over Stillwater in recruiting is commercial air...since you can't fly recruits in on private planes anymore.
speaking of recruits, I ate at a restraunt in fort worth and I saw TCU's head coach, Gary Patterson with a bunch of recruits there.

KStatePike
1/22/2006, 02:54 AM
I got arrested in Manhattan. I got drunk and was doing swan dives in my Hanes off the second floor into the pool at the Holiday Inn.

The other patrons loved it because they made score cards and were grading my dives and my "style points". The manager had no sense of humor and called the cops.

A buddy of mine had to do that during his pledgeship. Him and his whole pledge class had to go to the holiday inn in nothing but boxer shorts and jump into the pool from the second floor. What sucks is that pool's only 5 feet deep. Ya Manhattan cops can be jackasses... all 3 of em!

soonerjoker
1/22/2006, 10:56 AM
Consumate;

what does "atm" have to do with "wrastle" ??

Octavian
1/22/2006, 11:18 AM
As long as Fran is at a&m I hope they lose every game...even to texas.

woah...let's not get crazy

Octavian
1/22/2006, 11:25 AM
Location isn't an excuse not to compete for championships. The most successful football program in the last 75years calls Norman, OK home. Its also happened in Lincoln. Some schools (like those in Fayetville and Stillwater) will always use it as a crutch...but it's just that...a crutch.

Tidefan36854
1/22/2006, 11:31 AM
Well, the love of fRAN is renewed with the Aggies now since his big Bowl win. They are predicting him to be Coach of the Year in '06.:D

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=562247&forum_id=5

lufkinaggie07
1/22/2006, 02:45 PM
They have the internet in Alabama? Crazyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Soonerus
1/22/2006, 03:55 PM
When I went to College Station it reminded me of Stillwater...out in the middle of nowhere....

MiccoMacey
1/22/2006, 04:36 PM
I just don't get the comparisons of College Station to Stillwater, and I've lived in both for at least two years each (plus Norman for three).

It is in a remote location like Stillwater, but that's the only resemblance. College Station is much larger than Stillwater. It feels much larger than Stillwater. It is prettier than Stillwater.

And College Station has a football team on campus. :D

Tidefan36854
1/22/2006, 10:39 PM
They have the internet in Alabama? Crazyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Nice comeback dudeeeeeeeeee!!! Ask Pontiac about the internet in Alabama. They only paid $125,000 to UA's general scholarship fund this year. Refresh my memory, how do you vote for the Pontiac Game Changing Performance again? Yeah, thought so. :rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
1/22/2006, 11:10 PM
I just don't get the comparisons of College Station to Stillwater, and I've lived in both for at least two years each (plus Norman for three).

It is in a remote location like Stillwater, but that's the only resemblance. College Station is much larger than Stillwater. It feels much larger than Stillwater. It is prettier than Stillwater.

And College Station has a football team on campus. :DBeing a "city boy" their remote locations are what drive my comparisons. CS is a little bigger but they are both podunk, hick towns.

TexasLidig8r
1/23/2006, 10:04 AM
aggy is just this wonderfully parochial glorified high school.

They try so hard, in the off-season they soil themselves with delusions of greatness to come (I love those past Reggie is better than Vince delusions).. or.. Franocchio is a better recruiter than Mack and a better game day coach than Stoops delusions...

Except for a ten year period which started with an NCAA probation and ended with an NCAA probation, aggy has been nothing but an afterthought.

With aggy recognizing that their true rivals are sand aggy and baylor.. it's getting difficult to get worked up for a game with them.

There's no respect for their athletic programs because they haven't earned it. And, for the most part, they haven't even been good enough historically to hate.

The overriding emotion concerning aggy is simply.. apathy. Just someone to dispense with every year and then move on.

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 11:06 AM

They try so hard, in the off-season they soil themselves with delusions of greatness to come (I love those past Reggie is better than Vince delusions).. or.. Franocchio is a better recruiter than Mack and a better game day coach than Stoops delusions...

Except for a ten year period which started with an NCAA probation and ended with an NCAA probation, aggy has been nothing but an afterthought.

With aggy recognizing that their true rivals are sand aggy and baylor.. it's getting difficult to get worked up for a game with them.

There's no respect for their athletic programs because they haven't earned it. And, for the most part, they haven't even been good enough historically to hate.

The overriding emotion concerning aggy is simply.. apathy. Just someone to dispense with every year and then move on.

Pretty much what we feel about Aggy Lite. Except they REALLY haven't won anything. "Basketball school" my ***.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2006, 11:10 AM
This may be one of the worst threads evar. And around here, that's saying a lot.

OUMallen
1/23/2006, 03:36 PM

Big Red Ron is right witht he over a mil estimate of the metro.

MRNOTDUCKS
1/23/2006, 05:27 PM
You are one big laugh, TLid.

I can't argue with the scoreboard over the past years, but you are the one who is delusional if you think the rivalry isn't in full swing. You cared enough to express your little mind on this thread. If you are apathetic then just walk away. What? You thought we were waiting for you to express your self-important opinion? Walk away, if it's not ON like a pot of neckbones.

Oh, and enjoy your asterisk.

TexasLidig8r
1/23/2006, 05:36 PM
You are one big laugh, TLid.

I can't argue with the scoreboard over the past years, but you are the one who is delusional if you think the rivalry isn't in full swing. You cared enough to express your little mind on this thread. If you are apathetic then just walk away. What? You thought we were waiting for you to express your self-important opinion? Walk away, if it's not ON like a pot of neckbones.

lol... You will always have sand aggy Not. You will always have Baylor.

Wishin' and wantin' and moanin' and groanin' ain't gonna make it a rivalry. That's just the sound the CTs make when they mate with Reveille. :D

Chill Dude.. having fun at aggy's expense is a national pasttime.

caphorns
1/23/2006, 05:53 PM

Totally enjoyable. Now what's it for? I've been too busy enjoying my team's undisputed Big 12 and national college football championship to notice one lately.

Herr Scholz
1/23/2006, 05:55 PM
I can't argue with the scoreboard over the past years, but you are the one who is delusional if you think the rivalry isn't in full swing.
We've beaten you 9 out of the last 11. Tell me how that's a rivalry again?

Which one would that be? This should be good.

TexasLidig8r
1/23/2006, 05:58 PM
********** whoop.... cuz Vince's knee was down!

whoop.. whoop.. whoop.... If'n them thar refer-umpar things had calleded that thar play raight.. then, there's no f'in way tu wouldda scoreded....

whoop.... whooop.. whoop.....

so.. everbody knows their is know an axterickx by that win.

Herr Scholz
1/23/2006, 06:01 PM
Ahhh. :D Yeah, pretty sure there was no way possible way VY would've led us to a score from their 10 yard line.

Of course he probably also doesn't take into account the ball Drew Kelson picked off that was ruled incorrectly. Hilarious.

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 06:09 PM
YOU WHORNS SHUT THE HELL UP. I can take a few posts throughout a thread. But that was like, 10 posts in a row by whorns and aggy! Even I can't sit still with that going on...

Herr Scholz
1/23/2006, 06:10 PM
We're experts on aggy desperation. ;)

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 06:12 PM
That's nice, Herr. Really. To an impartial reader, though, it just looks like you're good at getting hissy with the wife. ;)

caphorns
1/23/2006, 06:12 PM
We're experts on aggy desperation. ;)

That's kind of pathetic in a way. Sad for us really.

Herr Scholz
1/23/2006, 06:20 PM
Everybody's got their cross to bear.

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 06:22 PM
That's kind of pathetic in a way. Sad for us really.

I'm laughing too hard to hate you now.