PDA

View Full Version : I say we always make sure the jail has plenty of sheets.

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 08:47 AM
Meet the late Timothy Walker. His sexual predator career is now over.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9464/zzzzzz060121a1suspe7902a1mug21.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

One down, still way too many to go.

Suspect in sexual attack dies after hanging himself
By NICOLE MARSHALL
Tulsa World Staff Writer
1/21/2006

He was arrested in the Tuesday night assault and kidnapping of a woman outside a Tulsa store. A registered sex offender who was arrested in connection with a kidnapping and sexual assault died Friday, one day after he hanged himself with a sheet at the Tulsa Jail.

Timothy Lee Walker, 42, was pronounced dead at 1:07 p.m., Tulsa County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Tim Albin said. Kidnapping, attempted rape and forcible sodomy charges were filed against Walker about 12:30 p.m. Friday, but they were dismissed later in the day after he died.

Walker was booked into the Tulsa Jail on Wednesday on allegations that he kidnapped a woman from the Walgreens parking lot at 6415 E. Pine St. and sexually assaulted her Tuesday night.

The 25-year-old woman was talking on her cellular phone with her boss when she was approached by an armed man. Her boss heard her scream, so he called the police and then drove to the store.

The kidnapper made the woman get into her car and drive to Mohawk Park. Once there, he sexually assaulted her by forcing her to perform oral sex and then made her drive back to the area of the store.

When the woman's boss saw the car return to the area, he alerted police officers, and they rescued the woman and arrested Walker.

A jailer found Walker hanging from his bunk in his cell about 5 p.m. Thursday. Jail employees cut him down and tried to resuscitate him.

An ambulance took Walker in critical condition to Hillcrest Medical Center, where he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. No one else was in the cell when Walker hanged himself, Albin said.

Walker's arrest report indicates that he initially was combative and suicidal. He met with a mental health worker, who cleared him to be booked, and he was not on suicide watch at the jail, Albin said.

Walker has a history of mental retardation and once was a resident of the now-closed Hissom Memorial Center, court records show. He previously was ruled competent to stand trial, and his sexual battery, burglary and indecent exposure convictions led to prison sentences.

Walker registered as a sex offender after his release from prison in June, having served 13 years of a 20-year sentence. He had been convicted of two counts of sexual battery for separate 1992 attacks on women at two Tulsa parks.

Before Walker was convicted in that case, a judge ordered that he undergo a competency evaluation after a defense attorney cited his history of mental retardation.

During questioning by a psychologist in 1992, Walker said he had completed the seventh grade, had never worked and had never lived alone.

He said he was treated at Children's Medical Center as a child and then was placed at the L.E. Rader Center and then Hissom Memorial Center until 1982.

The psychologist's report said Walker said he was sick and needed help and that he had been told that he had the mind of an 8-year-old. Walker also said he had had a problem with inappropriately touching girls since he was 14.

He reportedly said he had desires to touch jail nurses but that too many people were around and he knew that he would get in trouble.

Walker said he knew that his "touching" habit was wrong, although he found it sexually stimulating. The psychologist determined that Walker was able to appreciate the charges against him.

"Though no formal mental ability testing was administered, his vocabulary, word usage and conceptual thinking are sufficient to serve him in his current defense," the psychologist wrote in the 1992 report.

Walker said he wished to plead insanity in his defense, defining that as: "It means I did it but I need help . . . and I'm sick."

The psychologist wrote that Walker might suffer from a sexual disorder but appeared to have an ability to control it.

Walker also reported during the competency evaluation that he had some thoughts of suicide, although he didn't want to hurt his parents by doing so. He said he had tried to cut his wrists in the past, but the psychologist didn't see any significant scarring on his wrists.

In April 1989, Walker was convicted of an indecent exposure that occurred in October 1988. He was sentenced to three years in prison and was released in February 1992.

In September 1983, he pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of outraging public decency, which was reduced from a felony count of lewd molestation. He received a one-year suspended sentence.

Nicole Marshall 581-8459
[email protected]

bigdsooner
1/21/2006, 09:14 AM
good riddance LOSER

Widescreen
1/21/2006, 10:53 AM
charges were filed against Walker about 12:30 p.m. Friday, but they were dismissed later in the day after he died
I don't know why but that made me giggle.

Walker has a history of mental retardation and once was a resident of the now-closed Hissom Memorial Center
Man, I forgot all about Hissom. When I was a kid we had a whole bunch of put-downs for each other regarding Hissom. Looking back, that wasn't very nice. :O

StoopTroup
1/21/2006, 11:03 AM
I don't know why but that made me giggle.

Man, I forgot all about Hissom. When I was a kid we had a whole bunch of put-downs for each other regarding Hissom. Looking back, that wasn't very nice. :O
Wouldn't it have been nice if he had still been in Hissom. Would have saved a lot of pain for that lady.

Good he still had the capacity to make a good decision in jail however.

afs
1/21/2006, 11:35 AM
why is the past tense of hang - hanged. Hung sounds better, but never hunged

Harry Beanbag
1/21/2006, 11:39 AM
why is the past tense of hang - hanged. Hung sounds better, but never hunged

Because "hung" has a completely different meaning.

1/21/2006, 12:16 PM
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9464/zzzzzz060121a1suspe7902a1mug21.jpg

=

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b4/195px-John_Cleese.jpg

with a dash of

http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/07-05/0721tech.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2006, 12:22 PM
I giggled as well.

Hope Tulsa doesn't get sued as they didn't put him on suicide watch. Some scum sucking ambulance chaser will try to sue because he said he was suicidal...Grrrrr :rcmad:

soonerbrat
1/21/2006, 12:27 PM
they tried to revive him?

yeah right.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2006, 12:32 PM
ooh, ooh, ooh...

I blew near his mouth and I pushed my finger on his chest. Yep, he's dead... :texan:

StoopTroup
1/21/2006, 01:05 PM
Extended CPR is were you are standing over the victim and you blow at him from a distance and then jump on his chest with your feet and then repeat....

47straight
1/21/2006, 01:07 PM
Instead of providing the jail with lots of sheets, how about keeping open the mental health facilities to treat guys like this keeping both them and the world safe?

BajaOklahoma
1/21/2006, 02:03 PM
The guidelines for CPR changed this month.
I wonder if they performed CPR under the old method or the new?

It is expected that CPR is will change over the next couple of years to do away with the rescue breathing - so it will really be CR. Not too many people are willing to do the breathing.

Penguin
1/21/2006, 03:16 PM
His death was way too peaceful.

Jimminy Crimson
1/21/2006, 03:32 PM
His death was way too peaceful.

Yeah. Not enough anal probing. With a metal poker thats been in the fire for a couple minutes. :texan: yowzers. Broke.Back.

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 03:38 PM
Instead of providing the jail with lots of sheets, how about keeping open the mental health facilities to treat guys like this keeping both them and the world safe?

Because IMHO it has become extremely difficult to commit individuals to these facilities if they don't wish to be. The alternative is to give them life sentences which isn't easy to get either. Walker took one for the team. Probably the only thing he ever did as a service to his fellow humans. His most recent victim will probably have nightmares for a very long time, but at least she won't worry about checking over her shoulder for him the rest of her days -- unlike many survivors of sex crimes.

47straight
1/22/2006, 09:01 PM
Because IMHO it has become extremely difficult to commit individuals to these facilities if they don't wish to be.

It's not hard if the facilities are funded and open. Perhaps you'll get to it in your crim law class. Mental health facilities - the other white meat of prison. Much easier to pass judicial review (for better or worse).

Okla-homey
1/22/2006, 09:43 PM
It's not hard if the facilities are funded and open. Perhaps you'll get to it in your crim law class. Mental health facilities - the other white meat of prison. Much easier to pass judicial review (for better or worse).

Like the "Nervous Hospital" they let Karl leave? Ummm-hmmm.

Seriously, I get it, but do we have such facilities in Oklahoma where people like this guy can be committed indefinitely?

I did a quick search and learned we only have around 590 beds in our in-patient psych hospitals of all types in Oklahoma and those appear to be spread around all over.

I then checked the OK Dept of Corrections Sexual Predator Registry and learned we have over 600 registered sexual predators in Tulsa County alone. Therefore, seems like we have a disconnect between supply and demand. Honestly, what then is the solution?

KABOOKIE
1/22/2006, 10:15 PM
It's not hard if the facilities are funded and open.

If's a mighty big word. I for one don't want to foot the bill for these types of losers. :mad:

47straight
1/23/2006, 11:13 AM
Like the "Nervous Hospital" they let Karl leave? Ummm-hmmm. Seriously, I get it, but do we have such facilities in Oklahoma where people like this guy can be committed indefinitely? I did a quick search and learned we only have around 590 beds in our in-patient psych hospitals of all types in Oklahoma and those appear to be spread around all over.

That's my main point, homey, that I think that more facilities are needed. The state cut substantial amounts of its mental health funding in the 90s [no source, sorry]. The "Nervous Hospital" in question might well be under intense pressure to let out people asap to free up bed space.

Kabookie - I understand what you're saying, that this guy's (lack of moral) decisions shouldn't cost us money. However, assuming this guy was really sick, and had been since he was a kid (as the report claims), I feel like it's society's job to try to make him healthier before he ever gets to the point of being a repeat sex offender.

I'm looking at this with a wider lens. Overall, we've done a worse job of taking care of the mentally ill in recent years. They're sick in every sense of the word, and I think it's a bad judgment of our culture that they are not taken care of. If you don't go for that sort of personal dignity/religious type of argument, then take into account that when mental health facilities are reduced or shut down, many just end up in jail anyway or on the streets on welfare. We'll pay for it either way.

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/23/2006, 11:34 AM
they tried to revive him?

yeah right.

They gave him NYC CPR.... Guy stands over him and screams "Youse betta breath or your gonna ******* DIE!!"