PDA

View Full Version : Go give blood

Okla-homey
1/20/2006, 01:59 PM
I'm going over in a few minutes. They have less than a day and a half supply of O neg, A pos and some other type I can't remember. I'm O pos but they always need that chit too.

Give the gift of life hillbillies, somebody you love may need your crimson.

Besides, I'll be able to get hella crunk on less Olde English tonight baybee!

That is all.

OUDoc
1/20/2006, 02:08 PM
Just in law school and already he wants blood. ;)

OhU1
1/20/2006, 02:10 PM
I have an appointment next week. Started giving regular again last year. Now I've got a closet full of neat t-shirts!

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2006, 02:10 PM
Out of 100 donors . . . . .

84 donors are RH+
16 donors are RH-

38 are O+
7 are O-

34 are A+
6 are A-

9 are B+
2 are B-

3 are AB+
1 is AB-

Source: AABB.ORG

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 02:13 PM
i've been in africa too recently to donate

i will when the 10 years expires....

frankensooner
1/20/2006, 02:45 PM
I am a B- but this hillbilly can't give just yet. I had 2 surgeries in the past 12 months.

Fish
1/20/2006, 02:51 PM
O+!!!! Give frequenty!

RacerX
1/20/2006, 04:51 PM
Give twice at once. I have!

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2006, 04:58 PM
Give twice at once. I have!
ouch. were you weak afterwards?

proud gonzo
1/20/2006, 04:59 PM
I don't weigh enough to donate blood.

crimsonrose
1/20/2006, 04:59 PM
I really want to give blood but i can't. :-(

proud gonzo
1/20/2006, 05:12 PM
Oh, I wasn't complaining. I wouldn't give blood even if I weighed enough.

Not that it isn't good that people donate blood--yay for them.

RacerX
1/20/2006, 05:18 PM
ouch. were you weak afterwards?

and cold. They separate the red blood cell equivalent of two pints of whole blood. They give you back your plasma and some saline. The giving back part feels weird and makes you cold.

You only have to go once every 112 days and you get 2 t-shirts.

Mmmm, nutter-butters.

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2006, 05:20 PM
This is something they do regularly?

How long until you felt normal again?

RacerX
1/20/2006, 05:26 PM
I've never felt normal. :norm: Maybe 2 weeks.

I went to the OBI on Lincoln. My mom needed 2 units. They said I was the only one doing a directed donation, did I want to give 2? I was like "I can do that?". Sure enough. In the end, we had an antigen mismatch so she couldn't use my blood.

Who knew me not getting along with my mom went down to a cellular level?

I'll probably do it again because it cuts down on the overhead...only fill out the questionairre once, wait once, etc.

soonerboomer93
1/20/2006, 05:31 PM
college students can't give blood, they're too busy selling plasma

Okla-homey
1/20/2006, 05:34 PM
I gave. Some lucky bastage is going to have his car-wrecked arse saved by my pint of Oklahoma sweet crude. I'll be so happy.

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2006, 05:37 PM
I haven't in a while but I always liked giving blood. I need to find a place around here.

When my dad was dying of cancer he'd go get a transfusion every now and then towards the end so he would have enough strength to go watch my older brothers HS games. I figure giving blood is one way I can give back to afford someone else the opportunity to see their kids play one more game.

StoopTroup
1/20/2006, 05:39 PM
I gave. Some lucky bastage is going to have his car-wrecked arse saved by my pint of Oklahoma sweet crude. I'll be so happy.
WTG. I'm a donor too.

My blood type is like my attitude B positive :D

1/20/2006, 05:47 PM
I'm a gallon+ donor in both OK and TX. I figure my AB+ has done much to make the roses outside the donor centers beautiful.

A really good cause, people. Do it! It doesn't even hurt.

GrapevineSooner
1/20/2006, 05:47 PM
The Red Cross comes around every three months or so here at work, but I don't know when they'll be back.

I think it's been more than 6 weeks since I've given blood so I'm just going to find a blood bank around where I work or near home and give them my A+ blood.

OKC Sooner
1/20/2006, 05:56 PM
I had a quintuple-bypass precisely two weeks ago today, so doubt they'd take me. But God Bless you good folks who donated what I needed to get thru the procedure, I promise I'll more than make up for it when I'm healed. That's a kind of karma you CAN repay.

ChickSoonerFan
1/20/2006, 06:05 PM
I would if I could.

I can't. I am flagged.

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2006, 06:08 PM
I would if I could.

I can't. I am flagged.

Does Stan know this?

ChickSoonerFan
1/20/2006, 06:10 PM
Does Stan know this?

Yes. He knows the whole story and he still likes me. :)

It is a funny story....at least I think it is.

proud gonzo
1/20/2006, 06:15 PM
college students can't give blood, they're too busy selling plasma
ewwwww, that's grosser. not that I don't like helping people and saving lives and stuff.... but i hate needles. I hate needles worse than I hate sp*ders and stupid people. If it was a family member or very close friend who needed the blood and i matched, I'd do it.

StoopTroup
1/21/2006, 11:26 AM
ewwwww, that's grosser. not that I don't like helping people and saving lives and stuff.... but i hate needles. I hate needles worse than I hate sp*ders and stupid people. If it was a family member or very close friend who needed the blood and i matched, I'd do it.
I bet you'd love acupuncture then...lol

http://www.lowbackpain.com/img_acupuncture.jpg

soonerbrat
1/21/2006, 12:23 PM
Yes. He knows the whole story and he still likes me. :)

It is a funny story....at least I think it is.

yes..it's a HILARIOUS story!!!!

1/21/2006, 12:28 PM
There's an ad ran on AM radio here saying that if gave on their birthday and just two more times during the year, there would be no blood shortage.

Honestly, that is not much to ask.

(Think of the cheap buzz, younguns.

Stanley1
1/21/2006, 12:30 PM
yes..it's a HILARIOUS story!!!!

I don't know about that. ;)

soonerbrat
1/21/2006, 12:30 PM
There's an ad ran on AM radio here saying that if gave on their birthday and just two more times during the year, there would be no blood shortage.

Honestly, that is not much to ask.

(Think of the cheap buzz, younguns.

cheap buzz...free juice and nutter butters...what more could a college kid want?

soonerbrat
1/21/2006, 12:31 PM
I don't know about that. ;)

ok, so the story isn't that funny, but the way she tells it is priceless!

1/21/2006, 12:33 PM
They even offer free pizza on some of the campus drives.

And t-shirts. Jumpin' Jehova, FREE T-SHIRTS!

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 03:51 PM
It really is a simple thing to do and it is of such great benefit to your fellow humans. A safe, plentiful blood supply is a great social advantage.

I remember when everyone was lining up right after 9-11 to donate blood.

We need to keep that spirit going always, because you never know when we'll be faced with a catastrophe in which large quantities of safe, whole blood are needed, irrespective of the great ongoing demand posed by the war, our hospitals and trauma centers. Just do it people.

It'll make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside -- and it may just allow some mom to see her kids again, a dad to be able to continue support his family, or even a little kid to live to learn to ride a two-wheeler.

proud gonzo
1/21/2006, 03:53 PM
cheap buzz...free juice and nutter butters...what more could a college kid want?
no needles in my arm :eek:

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 04:03 PM
no needles in my arm :eek:

PG,
The phlebotomists who work for the Red Cross blood banks are so good and so experienced you hardly feel it. Seriously. I just a felt a little pressure on my arm when I gave yesterday.

LilSooner
1/21/2006, 04:10 PM
Homey, is your wife unit in stillwater today at the AORN meeting?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/21/2006, 04:11 PM
I used to say I wouldn't donate until about this time last year. Then I started thinking about how selfish that was, and what would happen if someone in my family needed blood and I was too chicken to donate. Well, last July, my 15 year old niece had major surgery to correct a spinal curvature. She ended up using 3 or 4 units of blood.

Also, she and her ex boyfriend have the same blood type. He donated for her, so now his blood runs through her veins.

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 04:13 PM
Homey, is your wife unit in stillwater today at the AORN meeting?

Nope, she's down stairs. I hear her literally whistling while she is putting away groceries. She's crazy that way.:D

LilSooner
1/21/2006, 04:20 PM
I just got back and I feel supa dirty because I had to stay at the OSU hotel.

proud gonzo
1/21/2006, 04:21 PM
PG,
The phlebotomists who work for the Red Cross blood banks are so good and so experienced you hardly feel it. Seriously. I just a felt a little pressure on my arm when I gave yesterday.
oh, it's not the pain that bothers me. it's thinking about it. I'm okay with shots... not that I like them, but I put up with them. same with TB tests. something about veins and things going into veins that really bothers me.

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 04:22 PM
I just got back and I feel supa dirty because I had to stay at the OSU hotel.

Did you get the T. Boone Pickens Suite?

LilSooner
1/21/2006, 04:25 PM
hell no, but the orange bedrooms were enough to make me gouge out my eyeballs.

Seriously I feel so dirty I need to take a shower now.

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 04:32 PM
hell no, but the orange bedrooms were enough to make me gouge out my eyeballs.

Seriously I feel so dirty I need to take a shower now.

I just asked WTF AORN is and she explained its an OR nurses dealio. Mrs is a neonatal ICU nurse. She likes bambinos 'cuz they don't beyotch-out their nurse, or carry guns.;)

LilSooner
1/21/2006, 04:39 PM
Oh I didn't know that she was up in ICU. Well thats very cool.

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 04:44 PM
Oh I didn't know that she was up in ICU. Well thats very cool.

She's a pretty cool gal. Been at it almost 24 years. She manages the NICU, L&D, Well Baby and Peds at Hillcrest. Me likey nurses, you chix is craaaazy, and very tough to gross-out!

LilSooner
1/21/2006, 04:46 PM
Homey I wish I was a nurse, but I'm just a lowly med/surge rep. I did get to take a bunch of the nurses out last night. Then we went out with them to a karoke bar and it was AWESOME!

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 04:51 PM
Homey I wish I was a nurse, but I'm just a lowly med/surge rep. I did get to take a bunch of the nurses out last night. Then we went out with them to a karoke bar and it was AWESOME!

I'm telling ya, I'd rather party with a bunch of drunk nurses than just about any other group of humans.

RacerX
1/21/2006, 04:53 PM
Also, she and her ex boyfriend have the same blood type. He donated for her, so now his blood runs through her veins.

Not anymore

LilSooner
1/21/2006, 04:54 PM
I'm telling ya, I'd rather party with a bunch of drunk nurses than just about any other group of humans.

agreed.