PDA

View Full Version : What do Stoops, Tressel, Carr, Saban and Carroll have in common?

footballfanatic
1/20/2006, 01:26 PM
Answer: Mack's beat all of them. Guess he's a pretty good coach, after all.

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 01:29 PM
macks record against Stoops....2-5

yeah thats pretty good after all

Sooner98
1/20/2006, 01:29 PM
Either that, or Vince Young is superhuman. I'll go with the latter.

yermom
1/20/2006, 01:33 PM
i think Chrissy beat Saban :eek:

Sooner in Tampa
1/20/2006, 01:34 PM
Answer: Mack's beat all of them. Guess he's a pretty good coach, after all.:rolleyes: Whatever you say. How long did it take smack to ACTUALLY win some kind of a title?

Go away troll.

footballfanatic
1/20/2006, 01:51 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever you say. How long did it take smack to ACTUALLY win some kind of a title?

Go away troll.

It did take him an awfully long time--but it doesn't make it any less sweeter for me.

And yes, it took an athlete like VY to make it possible--but no coach has ever won a national championship without outstanding players.

boomersooner28
1/20/2006, 01:51 PM

http://x12.putfile.com/1/1912510173.jpg (http://www.putfile.com)

footballfanatic
1/20/2006, 01:54 PM

Being 2-5 against Stoops is an achievement, of sorts. He's a pretty good coach, as are all the other coaches I mentioned.

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 01:55 PM
2-5 is an achievement?

wow, well i guess thats the attitude that gets you a MNC every 35 years.....

Coloradosker
1/20/2006, 01:56 PM
Arrogance?

Landthief 1972
1/20/2006, 01:57 PM
Finally, after 5 years of beatdowns, a horn fan stumbles over here with a comeback that reminds me of

"Well they're running out of you at the jerkstore!"

http://www.freewebs.com/dan_dan_dan/george_costanza003.jpg

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 01:58 PM
here's a fact......mack has only beaten Ou when we were down

he's never beaten us when we were better or equal

fact. achievement!

FlatheadSooner
1/20/2006, 02:31 PM
They all have better winning percentages than Mack Brown.

0.844 Carroll

0.824 Stoops

0.750 Carr

0.724 Tressel

0.683 Saban

0.644 Brown

:D

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 02:41 PM

0.844 Carroll

0.824 Stoops

0.750 Carr

0.724 Tressel

0.683 Saban

0.644 Brown

ouch........nice work

footballfanatic
1/20/2006, 02:48 PM
2-5 is an achievement?

wow, well i guess thats the attitude that gets you a MNC every 35 years.....

Here's a different way to compare them. You can talk about who's better all you want, but all of them have won one BCS crown. (You can say Carrol has two championships, but one of them is AP only)

GDC
1/20/2006, 02:48 PM
Please god, make it stop.

Hella Sideburns
1/20/2006, 02:50 PM
Why isnt it tuesday?

footballfanatic
1/20/2006, 02:50 PM

0.844 Carroll

0.824 Stoops

0.750 Carr

0.724 Tressel

0.683 Saban

0.644 Brown

Good point. But maybe that proves Mack overachieves, and the others underachieve, since he's been the one who's beaten them all, lately.

GDC
1/20/2006, 02:52 PM
And some of you "Sooners" go to great lengths to be friendly with these asses and even support their right to do this here. :mad:

Sooner47
1/20/2006, 03:01 PM
Good point. But maybe that proves Mack overachieves, and the others underachieve, since he's been the one who's beaten them all, lately.

Is Mack really so desperate for recognition that he sends trolls like you to an OU message board to try to convince us that he really is a good coach? That is pathetic. Since this year is the first year that Mack has won ANY championship in over 20 years of coaching, we and the rest of the USA are not convinced of his greatness. Sorry.

CtheB
1/20/2006, 03:06 PM

Give crap enough time, and it'll start stinkin'.

footballfanatic
1/20/2006, 03:13 PM
Is Mack really so desperate for recognition that he sends trolls like you to an OU message board to try to convince us that he really is a good coach? That is pathetic. Since this year is the first year that Mack has won ANY championship in over 20 years of coaching, we and the rest of the USA are not convinced of his greatness. Sorry.

Never said he was great, just pretty good. And the "rest of the USA"
has been pretty darned complimentary of him lately.

LSUdeek
1/20/2006, 03:14 PM
i think Chrissy beat Saban :eek:

nah, it was TFRW:

Williams almost single-handedly rallied Texas from a 10-point deficit Wednesday, sending the No. 9 Longhorns to a 35-20 victory over LSU. He turned a short slant into a 51-yard touchdown, went 75 yards after a leaping grab to set up another score and snaked 39 yards for a TD on an end around.

Also when Marcus Randall quarterbacks LSU we leave expectations at the gate.

Tear Down This Wall
1/20/2006, 03:53 PM
As far as Mack Brown goes, there's a saying - even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

TheGodfather889
1/20/2006, 04:27 PM
Mack Brown isn't a coach,he's a recruiting coordinator.

silverwheels
1/20/2006, 04:35 PM
What do Stoops, Tressel, Carr, Saban, and Carroll have in common?

I'd rather have any one of them as a head coach than Mack Brown. They achieved the same amount of success (or more) in much less time than it took Brown.

mdklatt
1/20/2006, 04:38 PM

Even a broken watch is right twice a day. Mack was right twice in seven years. :mack:

soonerlaw
1/20/2006, 04:49 PM
Sorry, see below.

soonerlaw
1/20/2006, 04:49 PM
What do Bob Stoops, Houston Nutt, Bob Stoops, Bill Doba, Bob Stoops, Mike Leach, Bob Stoops, Gary Barnett, Bob Stoops and Bobby Teevens all have in common??

Even a Longhorn can figure this one out....

TripleOption14
1/20/2006, 04:50 PM
Texass= 1 hit wonder!! :rolleyes: Let's see how good they do with no VY. Its gonna be real funny when Ohio st. comes down and smacks the SH!T out of you clowns and then you gotta turn around and deal w/ us! Not good my friend! Not good at all.

crawfish
1/20/2006, 05:36 PM
Mack vs. ranked Stoops teams: 0-5

Brown does well when he doesn't have to coach. :)

Herr Scholz
1/20/2006, 05:58 PM
Its gonna be real funny when Ohio st. comes down and smacks the SH!T out of you clowns...
OU will be a tough game next year for sure. That game could go either way. However, I don't see tOSU coming down to our place in the Austin heat and manhandling us. They lost 9 starters (including the best unit on their team - LBs) on D plus their best 2 OL and their leading WR. We have 16 starters back.

Herr Scholz
1/20/2006, 05:59 PM
We are going to miss this guy though. No doubt about it. ;)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e81/tramberg/VY.jpg

footballfanatic
1/20/2006, 05:59 PM
i didn't say I'd rather have Mack than the others. I think they'll all really good coaches.
i didn't even say Mack was better. As you have pointed out rather graphically, Stoops has the better record.
I didn't say we'll run the tabe next year. I'm pretty sure we won't.
Just enjoying the act that our team has had a great run and won over some really good coaches and teams. Also, I'm proud that Mack has gotten over some big hurdles. Remember, some really good coaches didn't win it all for a really long time. (Bowden and Osborn are two of them.) Just saying he's not as bad as is often stated here. And having VY wasn't enough. Mack instilled other qualities. like teaching his team to never give up, that led to our glorious season.

aero
1/20/2006, 06:20 PM
Yes. Mack is the most outstanding coach in America. I doubt you could ever find a better one for you guys. Why don't you start a campaign to have him signed to a lifetime contract. I'm sure we could help you out with some signatures.

TripleOption14
1/20/2006, 06:40 PM
OU will be a tough game next year for sure. That game could go either way. However, I don't see tOSU coming down to our place in the Austin heat and manhandling us. They lost 9 starters (including the best unit on their team - LBs) on D plus their best 2 OL and their leading WR. We have 16 starters back.

Let me remind you of a few players in case you missed them crave Notre Dame up. Troy Smith (poor man vy), Ted Ginn, Tony Pittman, Tony Gonzales, Roy Hall(you'll soon know the name), not to mention some ridiculously BIG freshman (now soph.) O-lineman. Ohio st. is gonna be like USC was this year. Tons of O and a suspect D. However, if you put up 40+ pts. you can almost always win a game.

OU-HSV
1/20/2006, 06:43 PM
This thread sux. Stoops has pwned Wack Brown and his football program for several consecutive years. Your team finally meets the expectations that they supposedly should have met for many seasons now...and your this proud of that? Wow, all I can say is congrats on beating us on a down year..and congrats to your coach for finally winning something that's worth a sh*t, it took him how many years of coaching?..that's what I thought. Oh and lastly, enjoy being a shorthorn fan while you can.:rolleyes:

soonerinabilene
1/20/2006, 06:50 PM
take out carr, and the answer is they all had crystal footballs in their hands while mack was coaching the "best" recruits in the nation.;)

SoonerGators
1/20/2006, 06:55 PM
And having VY wasn't enough. Mack instilled other qualities. like teaching his team to never give up, that led to our glorious season.

gonna have to disagree with you there, the only big games Mack has ever won in his career have been a result of one thing only...Vince Young's rushing yards, and even that can not necessarily be credited to Mack and any sort of playcalling because the biggest chunks of yardage came from Vince scrambling up and down the field. I really am not trying to imply that Mack is terrible, he wins a lot of games every season for a reason, but don't be fooled into thinking Mack inspired that team to do anything incredible, Vince carried that team on his back and inspired more of his teammates than Mack did.

OU-HSV
1/20/2006, 07:00 PM
.....Mack instilled other qualities. like teaching his team to never give up, showing them how to molest eachother, showing the team how to wear see-through football pants on gameday and taught them how to excessively clap....that led to our glorious season.
Geeze...now that's honesty from a shorthorn fan right there.

Stitch Face
1/20/2006, 07:36 PM
Never said he was great, just pretty good. And the "rest of the USA"
has been pretty darned complimentary of him lately.

Not really. They're just buying a lot of crappy orange clothes with cows on them.

OUJoker
1/20/2006, 07:42 PM
Answer: Mack's beat all of them. He's still a lesbian.

OUTromBoNado
1/20/2006, 09:31 PM
http://x10.putfile.com/10/30000112924.jpg

SoonerDood
1/20/2006, 09:36 PM

WHOOPS!
j00= pwn3d

aero
1/20/2006, 10:29 PM
http://x10.putfile.com/10/30000112924.jpg

josh09
1/20/2006, 11:05 PM
http://x12.putfile.com/1/1912510173.jpg (http://www.putfile.com)

yes, id say so

Texas Golfer
1/21/2006, 02:05 PM

But he doesn't have a winning record against all of the them. Guess he's not as good a coach as you think he is.

Seamus
1/21/2006, 02:40 PM
I have two dogs, one of which is a beagle. A beautiful, independent-thinking lad, mischievous yet very loving, and "Daddy" is the center of his world. If I ever have a son, he will probably share many of the same qualities as my beagle. He is everything you could ever want in a dog. A wonderful companion, to be sure.

But as a dog, he needs to go to the bathroom, as do all dogs, and for that matter, all living creatures. So I take him out to the nearby park strip almost every day. Being a hound, this affords him the opportunity to use his seemingly limitless olfactory gifts, and he takes full advantage of said opportunity. Nary a blade of grass goes uninspected, nor a single weed unnoticed. After time immemorial, the perfect spot -- how or why unknown to human senses; perhaps previously visited upon by another canine, perhaps not -- is found.

The perfect spot, the veritable holy grail in the beagle's eyes and nose, the canine nirvana. And he squats short and stout, and lets fly with the previous day's Milk Bones and pig ears. Proud, defiant, without shame he squats for all to behold. Leaving behind a monument to his existence for others of his ilk to inspect, sniff and perhaps admire. Near the end of this glorious foray into the great outdoors, after the last of the excrement softly falls into the dew-lined grass, a small drip of murky, befouled fluid drips forth, signalling the end is at hand.

And it is when the sight of that awful, noxious drop of sickly liquid hits my eyes, one word comes to mind.

Longhorn.

goingoneight
1/21/2006, 03:02 PM
It did take him an awfully long time--but it doesn't make it any less sweeter for me.

And yes, it took an athlete like VY to make it possible--but no coach has ever won a national championship without outstanding players.

dude's got a point there... but any whorn trying to laugh at Stoops... well,

Bob = 229 points in RRS vs. UT, 5 wins, 1 MNC (no one expected him to win), 3 BIG 12 titles in 4 attempts
Mack = 137 points in RRS vs. Bob, 2 wins, 1 MNC (thanks to officials, but smart move by coaches, as the quick-snap to avoid a review IS legal), 1 BIG 12 title in 2 attempts.

I agree that he is a good coach, but much like many Texas fans, I'll take Big-game Bob anyday over ol' conservative Mackie.

snp
1/21/2006, 03:43 PM
Mack = 137 points in RRS vs. Bob, 2 wins, 1 MNC (thanks to officials, but smart move by coaches, as the quick-snap to avoid a review IS legal), 1 BIG 12 title in 2 attempts.

UT had bad calls as well. That interception towards the end of the second half led to 3 points for 'SC. Let's not blame the refs.

Collier11
1/21/2006, 03:56 PM
ouch........nice work

Excellent post brother

Big Red Ron
1/21/2006, 04:38 PM
What do Stoops, Tressel, Carr, Saban and Carroll have in common?
I dunno something involving your Mother?

BASSooner
1/21/2006, 04:46 PM
doesn't mack brown make excuses? Because, I know stoops does not.

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2006, 04:56 PM
Mack instilled other qualities. like teaching his team to never give up.
http://www.trimpe.org/jr/pictures/you-seem-confused.jpg

goodonya
1/21/2006, 05:30 PM
OSU has beaten OU 16 times in the last 100 meetings, a true pwnership in the making. On the other hand, Mack, like clockwork is averaging a conference championship and national title every 33-years. I'm feeling a little threatened.

Vaevictis
1/21/2006, 05:31 PM

No, actually, I think it proves that Mack wins less games.

shavedmarmoset
1/21/2006, 05:49 PM
I refuse to believe that this season's success could be attributed to anything other than Vince Young. HE was the one with the team on his back, the one with the newfound leadership qualities, not mack. Mack even said that the best thing he did for Vince was NOT COACH!!!

Is that good coaching?

JBIILonghorns
1/22/2006, 02:38 AM

maybe so.....

...but I like the following stat better,

National Championships
Mack Brown 1
Bob Stoops 1

Seriouly though, how the heck did you guys lose to LSU in 03? You guys should have cashed in one of those two BCS title games. OU was a damn good team in both 03 and 04.

Blue
1/22/2006, 02:40 AM
Seriouly though, how the heck did you guys lose to LSU in 03? You guys should have cashed in one of those two BCS title games. OU was a damn good team in both 03 and 04.

<uncontrollable sobbing>

JBIILonghorns
1/22/2006, 02:40 AM
Is that good coaching?

Good enough coaching to WIN IT ALL!

Mack needed to lighten up and he did. And that is unfortunate for Sooner fans who think he is a disadvantage for the Horns. Mack makes it a point to relate better with his players and give them more freedom to express themselves. Yup, that's right, no more timid Longhorn players.

Blue
1/22/2006, 02:43 AM
Good enough coaching to WIN IT ALL!

Mack needed to lighten up and he did. And that is unfortunate for Sooner fans who think he is a disadvantage for the Horns.

I like Mack. I think he's a good guy. I think he lacks the killer instinct and intensity though. I guess that's just his style.

At the Rose he looked like a deer in the headlights, Mike Shula style. I expect the RRS will return to normal next year w/ the Sooners bringing home the W.

goingoneight
1/22/2006, 01:25 PM
maybe so.....

...but I like the following stat better,

National Championships
Mack Brown 1
Bob Stoops 1

I still wonder this... but my answer goes unquestioned around here since nobody else believes me...

OU's defense lost it's spark in the 2003 K-State (BIG 12 Championship), as Mike Stoops was knowingly on his way out... I've watched them extremely carefully ever since them, and Brent Venables lacks the defense that Stoops had. BV may be the reasonb our rush D is good, but at what point can we say anyone besides Rufus Alexander actually makes good tackles... Poor tackling cost us the game against TCU, UCLA, and cost us about 21 points versus you guys this year. The 2005 OB, was just a complete and total collapse defensively, USC's D was phenominal, much--MUCH different than their D this past season, and they stacked their team up against our stars, namely JW and AD.

Hate to sound like a NickZepp, but I think Bob Stoops needs to be either watching the defense more carefully or getting rid of BV. Shoot, he DID coach defense before, and DID do a fine job at it...

I loved every moment of the 2003 season play, as we could have finished solidly like UT did this year... but I BLAME THE DEFENSE. How does a team go from covering 50 points avg. per opponent, over very good teams, to unanswered points and big game losses?

footballfanatic
1/22/2006, 01:36 PM
I still wonder this... but my answer goes unquestioned around here since nobody else believes me...

OU's defense lost it's spark in the 2003 K-State (BIG 12 Championship), as Mike Stoops was knowingly on his way out... I've watched them extremely carefully ever since them, and Brent Venables lacks the defense that Stoops had. BV may be the reasonb our rush D is good, but at what point can we say anyone besides Rufus Alexander actually makes good tackles... Poor tackling cost us the game against TCU, UCLA, and cost us about 21 points versus you guys this year. The 2005 OB, was just a complete and total collapse defensively, USC's D was phenominal, much--MUCH different than their D this past season, and they stacked their team up against our stars, namely JW and AD.

Hate to sound like a NickZepp, but I think Bob Stoops needs to be either watching the defense more carefully or getting rid of BV. Shoot, he DID coach defense before, and DID do a fine job at it...

I loved every moment of the 2003 season play, as we could have finished solidly like UT did this year... but I BLAME THE DEFENSE. How does a team go from covering 50 points avg. per opponent, over very good teams, to unanswered points and big game losses?

The answer is...there sometimes is no answer. There are so many intangibles. How can West Virginia make a Georgia team that crushed an LSU squad that crushed Miami look so soft? How does a marginal Nebraska team suddenly play inspired in a gritty comeback against MU? How does a down, lower than low, Colorado team give Clemson such a tough game? And how on earth does Virgina Tech take such dramatic performance swings? Football isn't about stats and gamplans-its all about emotion, and confidence. Sometimes you have it, and sometimes you don't. The TV broadcasts never quite convey that emotion, but you can feel it in person. It's a part of the beauty of the game, and part of the frustration.

Soonerman08
1/22/2006, 02:12 PM

You're foolish in thinking this. The reason why we don't have any defensive consistency is because of always changing defensive coaches/coordinators, Pelini came in with all these new schemes, one in which his idea of coverages were lax zone coverages. The whole plan should have been scrapped in the beginning. It was Venables idea when he became coordinator to go back to the way he and Mike Stoops' schemed back before Stoops left. Poor tackling is credited more so with the players than the coaches.

OUthunder
1/22/2006, 02:26 PM
Mack a good HC...

Heh!

1991SOONER
1/22/2006, 02:37 PM
I didn't know Mack Brown was the head coach of the whorns. I thought that was Vince Young. I thought this whole time that Mack was just the waterboy:)

Come to think of it, VY was the whole team, coach, offensive coordinator, etc etc. A one-man band.

SkipTracer
1/22/2006, 02:39 PM
What do Stoops, Tressel, Carr, Saban and Carroll have in common?

They married women?

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/5787/weirddaddy7eo.jpg