PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Lessons in Norman/OKC....

OUAndy1807
1/20/2006, 12:12 PM
I've gotten to the point that I'm pretty happy with my guitar playing skills, but I'd like to take some lessons to make sure I'm not developing habits that will haunt me for the rest of my life. I have no aspirations to be a big time player, I just enjoy it and want to get better. Anyone have any suggestions in the Norman/OKC area? I'm basically looking to get stronger at Travis style picking and fingerpicking in general. I have no real aspirations to work on flatpicking or anything other than acoustic rock
/folk/country type of playing, and I might want to learn a little more about the music theory.

Rhino
1/20/2006, 12:32 PM
http://www.mcmichaelmusic.com/staff.html

I recommend Hosty, Ware or Orebaugh.

OUAndy1807
1/20/2006, 12:47 PM
oooh, I didn't know Hosty taught.

critical_phil
1/20/2006, 12:49 PM
he's no speedy west jr.

IronSooner
1/20/2006, 01:09 PM
I had Travis Linville over at Brook Mays. There's another guy there that subbed for him a couple times who did a lot of Travis picking. Can't remember his name but if you asked I'm sure they'd figure it out. Dude was probably early-mid 40's, so a little older than most of the guys who did lessons there. If you've ever seen the Burtschis you probably know what Travis does, but he also did a lot of jazz with me so he's pretty versatile.

critical_phil
1/20/2006, 01:17 PM
i'm trying to think of the guy over at Rawson music @ 240/western that is really an excellent teacher. goofy as HELL, but an awesome player and teacher.

he's got an odd name, like gilby or rennie or lemmie or something.

apusooner
1/20/2006, 02:03 PM
McMichael Music. They have the best in town. Alan Orebaugh is ridiculous.

Norm In Norman
1/20/2006, 02:09 PM
Man, what's the name of the guy who used to teach at the school of music? I used to be buds with him and now I can't remember his name. I'm such an arse.

TheBobbyTrain
1/20/2006, 02:13 PM
orebaugh is beyond ridiculous. mcmichael music is definately the place to go.

william_brasky
1/20/2006, 03:05 PM
Man, what's the name of the guy who used to teach at the school of music? I used to be buds with him and now I can't remember his name. I'm such an arse.

hammett?

william_brasky
1/20/2006, 03:05 PM
orebaugh is beyond ridiculous.

ludicrous speed

Norm In Norman
1/20/2006, 03:10 PM
hammett?
YES! Larry Hammett. I heard he was giving lessons. He had about the most popular class on campus there for several years. He'd teach you classical and then you'd have to learn metal on your own though. I assume metal is what everyone wants to play.

Nab'R
1/20/2006, 03:12 PM
I assume metal is what everyone wants to play.

Everyone who's cool anyway.

Norm In Norman
1/20/2006, 03:13 PM
Actually reading the original post, Larry is your man. trust me.

KC//CRIMSON
2/2/2006, 02:49 PM
Take them from whoever is teaching this 12 year old girl.:D

http://fplayer.com/eddie.mpg

crawfish
2/2/2006, 02:52 PM
Is Charlie Rayl still around Norman?

Not that I'm recommending him...but that's where I got my lessons, and my brother taught for him for a while.

okienole3
2/2/2006, 03:36 PM
Travis teaches.

By the way, did you know the Burtschi Brothers are breaking up?

"The Burtschi Brothers broke up. Shiiiiiiiit when did that happen?"

TheBobbyTrain
2/2/2006, 04:05 PM
Is Charlie Rayl still around Norman?

Not that I'm recommending him...but that's where I got my lessons, and my brother taught for him for a while.

McMichael > Rayl

Not. Even. Close.

take lessons from McMichael Music and request Alan Orebaugh. I can't emphasize that enough. He is one of the best I have heard.

StoopTroup
2/2/2006, 04:07 PM
Take them from whoever is teaching this 12 year old girl.:D

http://fplayer.com/eddie.mpg
Does that require a T1 connection to load?

IronSooner
2/2/2006, 04:10 PM
YES! Larry Hammett. I heard he was giving lessons. He had about the most popular class on campus there for several years. He'd teach you classical and then you'd have to learn metal on your own though. I assume metal is what everyone wants to play.

I had him for intro to jazz guitar. Pretty cool guy, very easy class. I didn't realize he taught lessons on his own. He was playing at a new bar-type place in Norman but I think they changed the people they were bringing in or something.

critical_phil
2/2/2006, 04:10 PM
Does that require a T1 connection to load?

it was worth the wait....

http://www.stargods.org/MediaVanHalenLogo.jpg

MikeInNorman
2/2/2006, 05:00 PM
Hammett's studio is across the street from Brothers, next to the Cingular Wireless store.