PDA

View Full Version : Old Stores That Are No More

Pages : 1 [2]

WhiteRiverSooner
1/20/2006, 11:41 PM
Bevo's, Swiss Miss, Brown's department store, and an early Walmart type store called Spartans.

Getem
1/21/2006, 12:09 AM
Knotty Pine BBQ?

SoonerProphet
1/21/2006, 12:13 AM
Knotty Pine BBQ?

I had some Knotty Pine this past July 4th whilst visiting some folks. Over off Charles Page. My friends live of Gilcrease Museum Road and Edison.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/21/2006, 02:42 AM
There's still an OTASCO department store in downtown Sallisaw, on highway 64. Probably one of the few OTASCO's still around.

My hometown had a supermarket chain called Big Star, originally based somewhere in the South. I'm not sure that company is still in operation. We also had a local chain of car washes called ROBO car wash. In high school, there was a local video store/appliance/furniture store chain called Imagination.

Anyone remember Lion gas stations? And surely you remember Skelly gas stations?

Louisiana had a chain of fast food restaurants called Starks, sort of like Dairy Queen. They also had a Denny's-type chain called Sambo's, and the guy that founded it also owned the Jazz NBA franchise when they played in New Orleans. I grew up near Shreveport, so I was exposed to those restaurant chains as a youth.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Stuckey's. Are those interstate roadside staples still around?

And does anyone remember Curtis Mathes TV's and appliances?

afs
1/21/2006, 02:45 AM
http://www.otasco.com/

Since71ASooner4Life
1/21/2006, 02:52 AM

AllAboutThe'O'
1/21/2006, 02:57 AM
The pizza chain talk made me forget to add one to the list.

Mr. Gatti's. Chain in the Ark-La-Tex. Buffets were good, and cheap. First pizza place I remember that had a big screen TV. I think the first night I went there (I was 9 or so), the TV was showing a first-run episode of "The Incredible Hulk." (it was on a Friday night)

2Dogs
1/21/2006, 09:35 AM
Circle K

Alive and well in Lawton. One on every corner

2Dogs
1/21/2006, 09:37 AM
No. Moore just got one.

Buchanan's

Crystal's Pizza

Streets was where womens went for fancy clothes.

TG&Y had the best goldfish

KMart is no longer in OK
we have a K-Mart here in Shawnee:eddie:

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 09:37 AM

Mr. Gatti's. Chain in the Ark-La-Tex. Buffets were good, and cheap. First pizza place I remember that had a big screen TV. I think the first night I went there (I was 9 or so), the TV was showing a first-run episode of "The Incredible Hulk." (it was on a Friday night)

How about "Godfather's Pizza?" The commercials had some gangster d00d in a pinstripe double-breasted suit with three hawt gangster molls holding Thompson submachine guns in the background. He "threatened" viewers to eat his pizza. I never did. I'm crazy that way.

2Dogs
1/21/2006, 09:39 AM
All the Circle's K's here became STAXSTAXSTAX, then something less memorable. Now they're all probably CVS Pharmacys.

Ken's Pizza - best thin crust ever.
Hardee's - best Frisco burger ever
Dairy Queen - best ice cream at a place called DQ ever

I know there's some Hardee's in Kansas, but that doesn't count. And I'd be hard pressed to find a DQ in Oklahoma now. And I think there's one Ken's in some town someplace in Oklahoma that no one goes to or appreciates as much as I would.

I know of two ken's pizza places still in existance. Prauge and chandler both have one

2Dogs
1/21/2006, 09:42 AM
i'm pretty sure there's a weinerschnitzel in midwest city

i KNOW they have them in cali.

i miss fuddrucker's. i know they still exist, just not around here.

weinerschnitzel, closed now. I ate there a few times. not impressed.

bigdsooner
1/21/2006, 09:51 AM
Yep, it was in that shopping center on the SW corner of 31st & Mingo.

Remember the mexican restaurant Monterey House?

how long ago was that, i remember frougs at admiral and memorial, next to godfathers pizza. that was prolly 25 years ago or so. monterey house, i wish to hell i could remember if it was good or not. has royal fork been mentioned, i havent seen it yet. my sister was working there the night it got robbed, the robbers parked on hwy 244, ran up the hill, robbed the royal fork, told everybody they were gonna kill em if they moved, then ran back to the hwy and left, i never heard if they got caught

SoonerDood
1/21/2006, 10:39 AM
albertsons started out as Skaggs

are there anymore Piggly Wiggly's?

there was a clothing store at penn square mall that i used to be taken too....cant remember the name, but it was locally owned and no longer there

There is a Piggly Wiggly in Edmond! well I gues technically it's OKC at Memorial & Bryant.

Mrs. Norm
1/21/2006, 11:04 AM
We had a UTOTEM in my hometown. I believe a Circle K took it over. But we we would go to UTOTEM and get a "big" coke and a candy bar. Good times.

royalfan5
1/21/2006, 11:05 AM
How about "Godfather's Pizza?" The commercials had some gangster d00d in a pinstripe double-breasted suit with three hawt gangster molls holding Thompson submachine guns in the background. He "threatened" viewers to eat his pizza. I never did. I'm crazy that way.
On Godfather's, worst food chain to come out of Nebraska, hands down. I can't believe anyone would have fond memories of it other than price, of course we had Val's to compare it too. Anyway funny story about Godfather's the guy who founded it, essentially used to launder money from his extensive cocanie distrubting, till it got sold to Pillsbury. We still have Godfather's all over the place up here, but they did switch to a new spokesgangster.

Dio
1/21/2006, 11:15 AM
I know they're still everywhere but here, but I remember when the Arby's on 12th street (Moore) was a Jack-In-The-Box.

Also, does anybody remember the old, original, non-chain Papa John's Pizza Parlor?

royalfan5
1/21/2006, 11:19 AM
I know they're still everywhere but here, but I remember when the Arby's on 12th street (Moore) was a Jack-In-The-Box.

Also, does anybody remember the old, original, non-chain Papa John's Pizza Parlor?
We don't have Jack in the Box's up here either, or Whataburger's for that matter either. Plus, for some reason people have trouble keeping Sonic's in business.

Dio
1/21/2006, 11:19 AM
Pinocchio's in Stubbeman Village in Norman had awesome breadsticks drowned in butter sauce.

Met Mrs. Dio when she used to work there.

Dio
1/21/2006, 11:21 AM
for some reason people have trouble keeping Sonic's in business.

What is wrong with you people?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/21/2006, 11:21 AM

Also, does anybody remember the old, original, non-chain Papa John's Pizza Parlor?Yes, the original Papa John's was in that Malibu shopping center on 12th Street in Moore across from the car wash.

As far as Sambo's goes, I think they made them change the name because even in the 70s the decor was a tad racist.

What about Howard Johnsons? There used to be one on the Indian Nation Turnpike where that McDonald's is now.

1/21/2006, 11:23 AM
Not really a store, but Springlake Amusement Park.

soonerjoker
1/21/2006, 11:39 AM
there are still some "texacos" (haven't been changed yet" & i think some phillips 66.

there's fuddruckers here in dallas area, & i know of @ least 2 long john silvers that have a & w root beer.
used to be an "a & w" across the street from okmulgee high school. long gone

kips big boy (all gone here) was "bob's big boy" in CA.

bought my 1st new bike @ monkey ward, probly about 1947 or 8. 2nd one
(a schwinn) @ the firestone store. (might have been goodyear).

like to hear about all the tulsa stuff, live there some in the 50s & 60s. left in 63.
My Mother had an apartment near the corner of 11th & denver, but she left tulsa in 62. i lived @ a place called "baltimore arms, in 62.

is there a theatre on peoria, near 15th street ?? is the "delman" still there,
& the "orpheum", downtown ??? how bout "bishops restaurant" downtown ??

i loved living in tulsa !!!

Dio
1/21/2006, 11:41 AM
There used to be a buffet style mexican restaurant in Moore in the 80's. Best Tex-Mex buffet ever, but I forget the name. :(

What part of Moore?

ChickSoonerFan
1/21/2006, 11:43 AM
Not really a store, but Springlake Amusement Park.

I remember that place I think.

Didn't they have go carts too?

Pre-Frontier City days.

reevie
1/21/2006, 11:46 AM
Arcades: Le Mans at Crossroads and The Gold Mine in Sooner Fashion

Ha. I got kicked out of Le Mans one time by some uppity chick.

reevie
1/21/2006, 11:49 AM
Yes, the original Papa John's was in that Malibu shopping center on 12th Street in Moore across from the car wash.

There was also an Al's Bicycle shop there. There used be Al's all over, but now the only one I ever see is on 89th.

ChickSoonerFan
1/21/2006, 11:49 AM
Swensen's!!!!!!!!!!111

Is that the ice cream place? I remember those in Dallas but never in OKC.

Dio
1/21/2006, 11:50 AM
Ha. I got kicked out of Le Mans one time by some uppity chick.

Remember when Crossroads first opened, and Le Mans had bumper cars?

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2006, 11:52 AM
Der Wienerschnitzel

Gone!
Got one here in San Antonio

reevie
1/21/2006, 11:53 AM
Remember when Crossroads first opened, and Le Mans had bumper cars?

I don't think I remember that. I remember that all wicker shop on the second floor and the Lion's Den place. Think I got my first Star Wars toy at Toys by Roy there.

ChickSoonerFan
1/21/2006, 11:53 AM
Soundtrack

Remember those obnoxious comercials with "Linda Soundtrack" ?

OMG

1/21/2006, 11:56 AM
I remember that place I think.

Didn't they have go carts too?

Pre-Frontier City days.

http://www.metrotech.org/campuses/sl-history/history.html

Dio
1/21/2006, 11:58 AM
I don't think I remember that. I remember that all wicker shop on the second floor and the Lion's Den place. Think I got my first Star Wars toy at Toys by Roy there.

When you go in Le Mans and go to the right, you have to go up a couple of steps- the raised part is over the old bumper car floor. Toys By Roy was also cool.

reevie
1/21/2006, 12:03 PM
I remember going into a tobacco shop in Sooner Fashion Mall so my mom could get my dad pipe tobacco and that everything in there smelled so good. The shop at Crossroads never smelled sweet or good and was a lot smaller.

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2006, 12:07 PM
I thought I was going to get to the end of the thread without anyone mentioning that place.

I lived around the corner and that place was awesom. My wife an I still pout about it's passing.

reevie
1/21/2006, 12:12 PM
How about the electronic store Silo. First place I can remember with the concrete or metal posts in front of the door.

Howzit
1/21/2006, 12:18 PM
What about Howard Johnsons?

A friend and I threw a party at the HoJos on Main St in Norman New Year's Eve 1977 that got out of hand. Another party being thrown by some other Normanites converged with ours a little before midnight, and the place got trashed. And by place, I mean halls, rooms, banquet area. We made the Transcript.

I always felt bad about that.

ChickSoonerFan
1/21/2006, 12:20 PM
There was a place we used to go for breakfast in Dallas when I was little...I think it was called JoJo's. They had a theme for children and I think it was a Tiger tamer named Sambo or something...does this sound familiar to anyone? Or maybe it ws Sambo's? I don't know..long time ago.

soonerjoker
1/21/2006, 12:24 PM
Sambos were all closed, used to be one on irving blvd in irving. little
black guy out front came to be considered "racist".

was a "jojos" on motor st. in dallas, just off 35.
was also one near irving hospital, that now is a denny's.

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2006, 12:24 PM
Sambo's pancakes.

King Crimson
1/21/2006, 12:25 PM

i think that place was called the Lion's Share--charbroiled burgers, ordered by red phone? i used to go there with my grammaw sometimes. right by one of teh exits. i guess Farrell's deserves some mention as per Crossroads.

JohnnyMack
1/21/2006, 12:27 PM
I always felt bad about that.

And by "always felt bad about that" you mean, dude, that was still so bitchin'.

Right?

reevie
1/21/2006, 12:28 PM
i think that place was called the Lion's Share--charbroiled burgers, ordered by red phone? i used to go there with my grammaw sometimes. right by one of teh exits. i guess Farrell's deserves some mention as per Crossroads.

Yeah it was where Garfield's is now I think.

Was Farrell's that place upstairs by Ward's? I remember some kind of Showbiz Pizza or Chuck E Cheese type of place there.

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2006, 12:29 PM
Cooks in Shawnee.

soonerbrat
Soundtrack

OMG

yes and she's at Sun & Ski Sports now!!!

Howzit
And by "always felt bad about that" you mean, dude, that was still so bitchin'.

Right?

Exactly.

That's one of the parties that still gets talked about when I run into old farts I went to high school with.

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2006, 12:31 PM
Payless Cashways

King Crimson
1/21/2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah it was where Garfield's is now I think.

Was Farrell's that place upstairs by Ward's? I remember some kind of Showbiz Pizza or Chuck E Cheese type of place there.

yup, it was kind of a theme place for kids--with root beer and wacky music and contests and stuff like that. the waiterstaff wore red striped shirts and bow ties...would sing i think. sounds horrible in retrospect.

reevie
1/21/2006, 12:38 PM
yup, it was kind of a theme place for kids--with root beer and wacky music and contests and stuff like that. the waiterstaff wore red striped shirts and bow ties...would sing i think. sounds horrible in retrospect.

I remember leaving one time with a headache because the wacky music was so loud. I never wanted to go back.

ChickSoonerFan
1/21/2006, 12:46 PM
Sambo's pancakes.

That's it. I loved that place when I was a little girl.

Sambos were all closed, used to be one on irving blvd in irving. little
black guy out front came to be considered "racist".

was a "jojos" on motor st. in dallas, just off 35.
was also one near irving hospital, that now is a denny's.

So the black guy was Sambo? I thought he was middle eastern or somthing. :)

RiddlerOK
1/21/2006, 12:48 PM
Ever eat at Mings Palace at 21st and Yale? it's a soon to be Wal Mart neighborhood market.

Had my first Chinese meal evar at Ming's Palace in 1979. Yes, I recall it being at 21st & Yale. Ahhh, the memories.......................

1/21/2006, 12:49 PM
Jamaica Joe's

RiddlerOK
1/21/2006, 12:50 PM
I did not know that JM.

and good call on Peaches, John. I still have a crate from there complete with logo.

Got my first Peaches Records and Tapes crate in September 1979. I remember walking into the store and they had just broke out the album "The Long Run" by the Eagles and they were jamming "Those Shoes" on a pair of huge Cerwin Vega speakers. <sigh> :)

lexsooner
1/21/2006, 12:53 PM
I don't remember the place except that OU corporations law professor Long (forgot his first name, big older guy with a burr that was nick named Big Bart Simpson) would refer to Amspatcher's and "the green stuff" (referring to pot) and burst out in blubbering laughter. Apparently Amspatcher's shut down due to some criminal deals involving drugs. I not familiar with the story.

OhU1, I was in that class with you and remember well: "Th-th-the green stuff, bu hoo ha ha, green, har har har, stuff in the pizza . . . har har" [extended arm with sprinkling imitation, compete with big blubbering, laughing sounds].

Big Bart Simpson aka Professor Joe Long. He was not only nostalgic, but he was an anachronism himself. If he had his way, everything would be stuck in the 1950s. Big Bart did once mention his fondness for the Shakey's pizza lunch buffet. He was right. They did have a fantastic pizza buffet.

Just to show everyone how old I am: Spartan's dept. store on Lincoln Blvd, a large lot on the west side of the street. I think it is a trade school of some kind today. Thirty plus years ago me and my Dad went in there all the time to buy stuff.

We also picked up the best pizza ever: Sussy's Pizza further down South on Lincoln on the East side of the Lincoln Blvd, right by those sleazy little ho infested motels. Jack Sussy made the best pizza, very peppery. It was a real treat and the older lady who worked there always loved to talk to Dad and she gave me a lollie pop when I came with Dad to pick up the pie. Jack eventually torched the place for insurance money and died decades ago. The Nomad restaurant on May Ave. still serves Jack Sussy's original famous pizza. Sigh. Now I am getting nostalgic and sad.

royalfan5
1/21/2006, 12:53 PM
What is wrong with you people?
I do my part to support Sonic, but the problem isn't so much support as much as it is Sonic picks the wrong people and locations to put their franchises. So the Sonic closes when it turns out the owners obtained the loans fraudalnently, instead of lack of support. Plus we still have Phillips 66 branded stores up here.

RiddlerOK
1/21/2006, 12:54 PM
A&W

Some people will tell you some sights and smells will stay with you for the rest of your life. Well, mine is from the A&W hamburgers and their famous frosty mugs of root beer. They were the shiznit, until Sonic moved in during the seventies and began driving them out of business.

RiddlerOK
1/21/2006, 12:55 PM
Arcades: Le Mans at Crossroads and The Gold Mine in Sooner Fashion

I remember how SMALL Sooner Fashion Mall was in 1980, with the Gold Mine arcade and a brand new Chick-Fil-A store to go with the Penney's and a few other shops.

lexsooner
1/21/2006, 12:58 PM
Some people will tell you some sights and smells will stay with you for the rest of your life. Well, mine is from the A&W hamburgers and their famous frosty mugs of root beer. They were the shiznit, until Sonic moved in during the seventies and began driving them out of business.

Mama burger, Papa burger, bacon on the burgers, fries, frosty root beer. Man, you are right - I can still smell the unique A&W fast food smell. I remember it from 30 plus years ago. I still remember the silver foil bags the burgers came in, still nice and hot and ready for the devouring.

RiddlerOK
1/21/2006, 12:59 PM
There's still an OTASCO department store in downtown Sallisaw, on highway 64. Probably one of the few OTASCO's still around.

Wow, there's still a few of them in existence. Sheesh! Hang in there folks!

My hometown had a supermarket chain called Big Star, originally based somewhere in the South. I'm not sure that company is still in operation. We also had a local chain of car washes called ROBO car wash. In high school, there was a local video store/appliance/furniture store chain called Imagination.

When I lived in Vinton, LA, they had a Big Star smack dab in the middle of downtown.

Anyone remember Lion gas stations? And surely you remember Skelly gas stations?

I remember the Skelly Gas stations when I moved to Oklahoma in 1976.

Louisiana had a chain of fast food restaurants called Starks, sort of like Dairy Queen. They also had a Denny's-type chain called Sambo's, and the guy that founded it also owned the Jazz NBA franchise when they played in New Orleans. I grew up near Shreveport, so I was exposed to those restaurant chains as a youth.

Yup, we saw both of them in Lake Charles when I lived there.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Stuckey's. Are those interstate roadside staples still around?

God, those places were everywhere on the Interstates. They died a slow, agonizing death over the past 3 decades.

And does anyone remember Curtis Mathes TV's and appliances?

Yup, their commercials every day on Tulsa TV.

lexsooner
1/21/2006, 01:02 PM
Soundtrack

OMG

Yup. Even worse: "Torture time again . . . Good night and God bleth you." [Alan Merrill Chevorlet].

The worst every: "Shepard Mall in the Suuuu-mer time, come to Shepard Mall, you can find everything you need . . ." [sung by a group of tone deaf teenagers with a Tiger Beat instrument set]. Seriously.

RiddlerOK
1/21/2006, 01:02 PM

Isn't there a Mr. Gatti's somewhere in Oklahoma? I go to the one in Sulohur, LA when I visit the family there. Of couse, it took a beating when Hurricane Rita passed through last year.

RiddlerOK
1/21/2006, 01:08 PM
What about Howard Johnsons? There used to be one on the Indian Nation Turnpike where that McDonald's is now.

I worked at the one that used to be between the Bristow and Kellyville exits in the summer of 1980, just before beginning my OU career.

MamaMia
1/21/2006, 02:02 PM
Remember Kips Big Boy, and what was the name of that drive in burger joint near downtown OKC? It had a planet design on the sign.

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2006, 02:04 PM
There was a Pizza Planet at one time........

GDC
1/21/2006, 04:23 PM
Had my first Chinese meal evar at Ming's Palace in 1979. Yes, I recall it being at 21st & Yale. Ahhh, the memories.......................

I had my first Chinese at the Golden Dragon, 41st and Memorial.

KC//CRIMSON
1/21/2006, 04:33 PM

ditto.

Jimminy Crimson
1/21/2006, 04:46 PM

What was her name?

Ohhhhhh, you mean food! :cool:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/21/2006, 04:48 PM
What part of Moore?I think he means Pancho's on I-240. It's still there.

Back in the day, Moore didn't have any places to eat that weren't fast food type places.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/21/2006, 04:50 PM
Curtis Mathes got busted for renting prOn back when we had to rive 7 or 8 miles to rent a video. My parents bought our first VCR there in 1981. I have a sweet pic of it that I will scan.

1/21/2006, 04:57 PM
http://www.itsalreadysigned4u.com/shop/media/images/product_category/sanders-8x10-osu-thumb.jpg

1/21/2006, 05:01 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050104/050104_vinceYoung_vmed_8p.vlarge.jpg

SoonerFill
1/21/2006, 05:17 PM
Doc Roc who was Linda Soundtrack male counterpart, Surfco gas stations, Pete Mesquites

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2006, 05:45 PM
Stucky's on the interstates. I would always get a chilie-dog then have to hit every rest stop and gas station restroom for the mext 250 miles.

picasso
1/21/2006, 06:38 PM
Got my first Peaches Records and Tapes crate in September 1979. I remember walking into the store and they had just broke out the album "The Long Run" by the Eagles and they were jamming "Those Shoes" on a pair of huge Cerwin Vega speakers. <sigh> :)
good times my brother. luckily I had an older borther who was a music freak and would drag me into such places.

SouthFortySooner
1/21/2006, 11:48 PM
My parents bought gas at a Gulf station. The proprieter gave me some plastic orange stick on horseshoes I thought were really cool..

joex2
1/22/2006, 06:42 AM
best.
thread.
ever.

Good call on Alan Merrill. Hadn't thought about that dude in years.

My additions to this awrsome list:

Taco Tico
Roy Rogers
Park Terrace Theater

Not in Oklahoma (but still miss 'em anyway when I travel west on I-40):

Whiting Bros. Gas Stations
Terrible Herbst Gas Stations
(and of course Stuckeys--although already mentioned)

worstcallofalltime
1/22/2006, 08:00 AM
Joe **** the Ragman's Porno Palace

Okla-homey
1/22/2006, 09:05 AM
"TK's Adult Videos" on 35 is in a defunct "Nickerson Farms" which was a akin to "Stuckeys."

just saying.

GDC
1/22/2006, 08:23 PM
My father grew up around Tulsa and he mentioned the old White Castle, Bisop's Buffeteria, Golden Drumstick, Woolworth's, and Kress.

Sparky
1/23/2006, 12:42 PM
Ahhhh the memories from Tulsa...

Handy Dan's-a hardware store at 51st & Memorial
Mohawk Records-across the street from The Farm Shopping Center (which is cool in its own right)
Ma Bell's-where you phoned-in your order from the booth

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 12:58 PM
Nelson's Cafeteria.

Gone.

Pricetag
1/23/2006, 02:31 PM
I'm surprised none of the Tulsa folks have mentioned Pennington's. The black bottom pie ruled.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2006, 02:33 PM
I'll go old school on ya, how about Shaw's Hamburgers at 31st & Yale? That place ruled!

Pieces Hit
1/23/2006, 02:42 PM
I'm surprised none of the Tulsa folks have mentioned Pennington's. The black bottom pie ruled.I couldn't remember the name, but yeah.

Pricetag
1/23/2006, 03:15 PM
Wasn't there a Showtime pizza that Chuck E Cheese took over at the corner of 71st and Memorial on the Southwest corner by the Target?
It was Showbiz, wasn't it? I remember when that place first opened, and their commercials bragging about how they had the most videogames in town, something like 40 or 60 games. That's not even mentioning the Rockafire Explosion. That place was where it was at for kids.

I hate Incredible Pizza because they're going to run Showbiz (even though it's a Chuck E. Cheese now, they were very similar back in the day, and the spirit still remains) out of business.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2006, 03:16 PM
It was Showbiz, wasn't it? I remember when that place first opened, and their commercials bragging about how they had the most videogames in town, something like 40 or 60 games. That's not even mentioning the Rockafire Explosion. That place was where it was at for kids.

I hate Incredible Pizza because they're going to run Showbiz (even though it's a Chuck E. Cheese now, they were very similar back in the day, and the spirit still remains) out of business.

Excuse me, did you just go "rockafire explosion" on this thread?

sanantoniosooner
1/23/2006, 07:19 PM
Anybody remember "The Big Cheese" pizza place.

horrible.

just......horrible.

SouthFortySooner
1/23/2006, 10:05 PM
Duh. The South Forty

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2006, 10:30 PM
The Cajun Boiling Pot
Lousiana Bay
Don's Restaurant

good times....

sanantoniosooner
1/23/2006, 10:32 PM
Shorty's Dockside.

Burned down and I missed it instantly.

Cajun fajitas

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/20/2006, 12:27 AM
Ok I have thought of a few for this thread:

Putt Putt--I know there are knock off mini golf places, but I haven't seen a Putt Putt in a while.

Units--Guys probably won't remember this store, but it was popular for girls in the late 80s. It was all knit clothes and you could wear your clothes in many different ways. For example, you could buy a piece of clothing that could be worn as a skirt, tied into a hairbow, or even scrunch it up around your waist for a belt.

Anthony's--I don't know if anyone mentioned it.

Crockett's Smokehouse--Nasty freaking barbeque

Stars--This was a Sonic wannabe in the late 80s. Don't know if it was a chain or not, but in about 1988 we had one in Moore in an old Sonic building. Then it closed and it has been a Sonic ever since.

I mentioned old theaters before. There was one called The Ritz I think on Western, south of 59th. It's some bar now I think.

Trust House Jewelers--That annoying old couple made those commercials forever. They finally retired a few years ago.

OUHOMER
4/20/2006, 07:02 AM
shakees pizza,, who had the metal tubes? you would pay them and they would but your money into the tube and it would take off into he roof and they would send your change back.. When i was a kid i thought that was cool

Athonys or sears??

IB4OU2
4/20/2006, 07:32 AM
Did anyone mention Wackers?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/20/2006, 07:56 AM
Did anyone mention Wackers?This isn't the hobbies thread, hon.

OKC Sooner
4/20/2006, 07:59 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1205000/images/_1205823_brother_300.jpg

The preacher says all my sins is warshed away, including that Piggly Wiggly I knocked over in Yazoo.

goodonya
4/20/2006, 08:16 AM
What a great thread. Many of mine were mentioned so at the risk of being crass I'll just mention them again.

Hans BBQ on 23rd (E 23rd)

DX - My uncle was vice president of the company

Wackers

Christophers - put myself through college working there

Fox & Horn - learned to wait tables there

Chet's liquor store - Wilshire & May - In HS boys night out was Thursday and it always began at Chet's. He was an off-duty cop that sold us cases of Coors.

Neds Pizza on May - Greasiest ever

Skyview Drive in on 23rd & Coltrane?

Whittakers Food store

Wedgewood

Paulines Bait Shop

Sussy's

Donovans Reef

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 08:17 AM
In Muskogee, some of the older clothing stores that were around when I was young were S&Q and Hunt's.

walkoffsooner
4/20/2006, 08:33 AM
Tony's peep and eat

Norm In Norman
4/20/2006, 08:33 AM
Pizza in a Cup. That was the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy was unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business. People came from all over to eat that.

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2006, 09:02 AM
Crockett's Smokehouse--Nasty freaking barbeque

Trust House Jewelers--That annoying old couple made those commercials forever. They finally retired a few years ago.

Crockett's...Crockett's Smokehouse,
Mighty good bar...be...que.

I can't believe I still remember that.

I used to love Trust House Theater as a kid. They would play an old movie and all the commercial breaks were that annoying old couple showing off rings and bracelets and stuff. I think it was channel 25 or 34. Brings back good memories.

Scott D
4/20/2006, 09:51 AM
For example, you could buy a piece of clothing that could be worn as a skirt, tied into a hairbow, or even scrunch it up around your waist for a belt.

I knew girls who didn't need to buy special clothes for the last part of that to be a regular thing ;)

sooner n houston
4/20/2006, 10:38 AM
Ok, a few places from the west side of Tulsa I haven't seen mentioned:
Schiff Shoes, later called Gallencamp, also in Sand Springs,
Bundy's cafe, still some people who post on here who are related to them.
The 50's style malt shop on 48th that closed in the 80's.
Gingamm girl restaurant on SW blvd.

Any one else remember the restaurant in Henryetta that had a menu item called the buddy burger? My family used to stop there all the time on our way to Durant/Dallas to visit my Grandmaws. I always ordered the buddy birger, two burgers and fries.

Mixer!
4/20/2006, 12:32 PM
Honk N' Holler
Orin's Fine Pizza
Gamble's - IIRC, this was Gimble's discount retailer
Lum's - hot dog chain that pre-dated Der Weinerschnitzel
Tammy Lynn (sp?)
Quicksilver's
Graham Central Station
Mr. Swiss (burgers)
Golden Tenders (chicken)
PizzaPasta Express (might be dreaming this one)

SicEmBaylor
4/20/2006, 01:46 PM
Senator Stratton Taylor was our bag boy at Humpty Dumpty.
And hopefully he will be again...

OhU1
4/20/2006, 01:54 PM
Furr's Cafeteria in Norman. My first job when I was 16. I thought I was rich getting that $3.25 an hour!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/20/2006, 09:59 PM
Shorty's Dockside.

Burned down and I missed it instantly.

Cajun fajitasIs that where Club Rodeo is?

I always wanted to go to a place called Christopher's. It looked pretty from the street.

Jimminy Crimson
4/20/2006, 10:18 PM
Furr's Cafeteria in Norman. My first job when I was 16. I thought I was rich getting that $3.25 an hour!

Isn't Furr's still kickin'? 24th & Main, no?

JohnnyMack
4/20/2006, 10:35 PM
Tulsa Peeps - Pee Wee's Hamburgers, next to Southroads in the strip where the old Diamond Jacks was. It was set up like a 50's diner. Totally slayed the sh*t that is Steak & Shake.

C&CDean
4/20/2006, 10:43 PM
You buncha whippersnappers.

Woolworths. SSKressges. Sandy's Drive In. Burger Chef. Five & Dime. Frontier Drive In. Korean Lounge.....

JohnnyMack
4/20/2006, 10:46 PM
You buncha whippersnappers.

Woolworths. SSKressges. Sandy's Drive In. Burger Chef. Five & Dime. Frontier Drive In. Korean Lounge.....

:dean: and the fam go out shoppin'
http://parentseyes.arizona.edu/bloom/jpgs/bibostore-small.jpg

C&CDean
4/20/2006, 10:47 PM
****in' A!!

AllAboutThe'O'
4/20/2006, 11:02 PM
I mentioned old theaters before. There was one called The Ritz I think on Western, south of 59th. It's some bar now I think.
Here's some (likely defunct) movie theater chains I remember:

General Cinema

Gulf States Theatres

Plitt Southern Theatres