PDA

View Full Version : Updated OU Recruiting Notes

Jay C. Upchurch
1/20/2006, 12:25 AM
Check it out on Sooner Spectator home page....

http://soonerspectator.com/featureStory.php

bigdsooner
1/20/2006, 12:56 AM
cool, thanks

birddog
1/20/2006, 02:49 AM
Lookin' good.

BermudaSooner
1/20/2006, 08:40 AM
How many scholarships do we have to give out this year? With already 25 recruits, what happens if we get 3-5 more commitments?

NormanPride
1/20/2006, 10:43 AM
I think we're predicting that some don't qualify, and there are probabl a few that we could let go if a better guy commits.

EDIT: “He was as good as any offensive lineman on Oklahoma’s roster with the exception of Davin Joseph this year,” said one college recruiter.

Do any of these guys actually watch our line? Davin wasn't the best player out there.

CatfishSooner
1/20/2006, 11:55 AM
who was???

BillyBall
1/20/2006, 11:57 AM
Brandon Walker, I believe...

NormanPride
1/20/2006, 12:10 PM
Brandon Walker, I believe...

Yeah, my bad for not giving the name. It's a quote from the article, though.

birddog
1/21/2006, 12:25 PM
Now...Who was the best player out there? I know according to the coaches that Messner graded out the highest. I'm just answering the question I think was really asked.

OU-HSV
1/21/2006, 02:48 PM
Sweet..can't wait to get my 2nd issue!

KingDavid
1/21/2006, 11:16 PM
It's down to McCoy, Gresham, and Walker. What is the consensus right now on where these guys are headed? I get the feeling from what I read that McCoy and Gresham stay, but Walker goes to FSU. Is it all pure speculation at this point or does anyone have a good sense for where these three are going to go?

I've seen speculation that McCoy is going to pull a surprise and that does not seem to bode well for us.

GoOwls
1/23/2006, 03:27 PM
Walker is a strange case... He seems to have cut off all direct contact with all involved universities. I felt good about him early, and I'm still cautiously optimistic.

FlatheadSooner
1/23/2006, 10:16 PM
Here's some more..............................

Josh McCuistion
SoonerScoop.com Associate Editor

It's an unusual year in Oklahoma high school recruiting for many reasons, the largest of which being the huge number of talented prospects in the state of Oklahoma. Secondly, and most important for Sooner fans, has been the emphasis from the Oklahoma coaching staff about the importance of bringing in players from north of the Red River.

Rivals.com

Tabon has gone from unknown to No. 5 in Oklahoma's deepest class in years.
In Rivals.com's newest rankings of Oklahoma's top 30 prospects these two trends come together as players throughout the state hold offers from across the country. However, the most notable presence in the state is that of the state's flagship program as future Sooners litter the list of Oklahoma's top 30.

While Oklahoma is still in hot pursuit of the state's top rated players Gerald McCoy and Jermaine Gresham they have received commitments from four of the seven other top prospects in the state.

While the state's No. 3 prospect, Derek Burton, is headed to Stillwater he is followed up by four Sooners.

Leading the way is the player who arguably was the state's most dominant player through the 6A season, Tulsa Union's Dominique Franks. The four-star cornerback returned punts and kickoffs for touchdowns when he wasn't busy shutting down some of the state's top receivers.

While Franks had been a topic of discussion around the Oklahoma prep ranks since his sophomore season at Owasso, Altus three-star athlete Daniel Tabon has been talked about for all of about six weeks and in that time had some of the most impressive film in the state hit the Rivals.com network. Tabon features at roughly seven positions for the Bulldogs and this versatility makes him one of the more interesting players in Oklahoma's class of 2006.

Franks and Tabon saw their stock rise during their senior seasons, but one player who fell is a Sooner commit Sam Bradford. In defense of Bradford's small fall his stock was hurt due to his team's poor performance more than any shortcomings of his own. Putnam City North was expected to compete for a state title, but with no running game and little blocking Bradford spent much of his season running for his life.

A player that may have helped Bradford is Jenks, Okla. three-star Chase Beeler. The 6-foot-4, 275-pound offensive lineman won battles against the state's top two defensive ends, Burton and Tulsa Union's Chase Nelson. Beeler figures as a guard for the Sooners but the state's No. 7 prospect was a two year starter at left tackle for the mighty Jenks Trojans.

Nelson sits at the No. 8 spot in between Beeler and future Sooner o-line mate Chad Roark. The U.S. Army All-American had a strong senior season before his early departure from Ada high school. The 6-foot-2, 290-pound Roark could be a starter at center for Oklahoma in the not so distant future and has seen his stock gradually rise throughout the year.

Rounding out the top 10, and marking the sixth Sooner already committed amongst the group is Norman high's Mossis Madu. The three-star athlete went for nearly 1,500 yards this season as Norman had it's best season in nearly a decade before a first-round exit to eventual state runner-up Mustang. Madu could end up at several positions, but figures to come down between either running back or cornerback. Such diversity is a trademark of this class as a whole.

The final piece of the puzzle in-state is Oklahoma's No. 17 prospect, Comanche's Brandon Crow. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Crow had a strong senior season in one of Oklahoma's smallest classifications, and after committing to Oklahoma in early November nearly led his Comanche teammates to a state championship before falling short in the state semi-finals.

As a side note, the Sooners also will be receiving a walk-on from one of the state's top 30 players, Grove's Ryan Allgood. The big tight end has elected to walk-on at Oklahoma over offers from the likes of Colorado State and TCU.

If the Sooners can find a way to reel in big fish like McCoy and Gresham, it would give the Sooners eight of the top 10 players in the state of Oklahoma and ten overall prospects from within the state.

Archangel
1/31/2006, 12:50 PM
From Rivals

Has top TE Gresham made his choice?

Jermaine Gresham, the No. 1 tight end in the nation, has been very quiet about his recruitment, leaving just about everyone in suspense leading up to his announcement, which is set for 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday. After heading to Miami for his final official visit over the weekend, Gresham has narrowed his list to the Hurricanes and the Oklahoma Sooners, but he says he will keep even the coaches at Oklahoma and Miami on the edges of their seats until the announcement is made.

But that doesn't mean he has yet to make up his mind. "Coach (Mike) Loyd, Jermaine and myself sat down and talked about his decision," said Ardmore High assistant coach Creede Tibbs. "We came up with a final choice. I would tell you, but I'm sworn to secrecy."

and

Updated Announcement Schedule

A partial list of big announcement press conferences over the next two days ... we will continue to update this list ... (ALL TIMES EASTERN)

Today
Deantwan Whitehead 1 p.m.
Marcus Ball 5 p.m.

Wednesday
Ray Dominguez 9 a.m.
Corey Peters 10 a.m.
Reshad Jones 10 a.m.
Michael Morgan 10 a.m-11 a.m.
C.J. Spiller 10:30 a.m.
Jermaine Gresham 10:30 a.m.
Daron Rose 11 a.m.
Gerald McCoy 11:15 a.m.