PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else ever have to wear these things?

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 11:49 PM
Sears Toughskin jeans. I don't know what they were made of but one time I fell on our driveway and made a spark.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9467/toughskinssmall8nn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SoonerInKCMO
1/19/2006, 11:51 PM
Damn we had some ugly clothes back in the day.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 11:53 PM
Damn we had some ugly clothes back in the day.

All those kids are pictured standing because you couldn't bend your knees or sit down until they had been washed three times.

chriscappel
1/19/2006, 11:54 PM
I think those were a bit before my time!

bigdsooner
1/19/2006, 11:55 PM
:D bout 26-27 years ago

Shamrock
1/19/2006, 11:57 PM
I wore 'em.

You could also get a new pair for free if you tore a hole in the knee. I think they must have used Kevlar (before Kevlar was available) for the knee inserts.

SoonerInKCMO
1/20/2006, 12:01 AM
I wore 'em.

You could also get a new pair for free if you tore a hole in the knee. I think they must have used Kevlar (before Kevlar was available) for the knee inserts.

I had forgotten about that. They must've gotten that idea from the Craftsman Tool people across the store.

Okla-homey
1/20/2006, 12:05 AM
The ad is from the 1978 Sears "Big Book." Methinks I was forced to don my first pair of those bad boys around 1970 or thereabouts. Fortunately for me, once I got to junior high, mom took pity on me and let me have Levi's.

Unfortunately for my kid brother, the damn Toughskins never wore out and he inherited mine when I outgrew them. Oh well, all the other younger brothers we knew were faced with the same fate. At least by the time he got them, they were not like wearing sheet zinc anymore.

olevetonahill
1/20/2006, 12:28 AM
That seems to be way "after" my time :eek:

critical_phil
1/20/2006, 12:51 AM
Toughskin jeans: check

Fastback tennis shoes from C.R. Anthony's: check

PhxSooner
1/20/2006, 12:54 AM
I used to beg for Garanimals from Froug's.

chriscappel
1/20/2006, 12:56 AM
I used to beg for Garanimals from Froug's.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

PhxSooner
1/20/2006, 01:25 AM
Sigh. Young'uns!

Garanimals were where you matched a top and bottom by the animal tag. For instance, I would find a shirt I liked; if it had a tiger tag hanging on it, I would find a skirt with the same tiger tag.

Froug's was a store in Tulsa in the 70's at 51st and Memorial.

chriscappel
1/20/2006, 01:53 AM
oh....okay......

william_brasky
1/20/2006, 02:00 AM
Toughskins, Garanimals, Fastback - all check

Tiptonsooner
1/20/2006, 06:56 AM
I wore the toughskins, but I was made to wear boots. Those boots might've outlasted the jeans, they were rough on the feet though. You didn't wear them out, you damn sure outgrew them.

garanimals where ghey

TUSooner
1/20/2006, 07:23 AM
... one time I fell on our driveway and made a spark.

My first laugh of the day. Thanks! :D

Taxman71
1/20/2006, 07:31 AM

Were the Fastback shoes those 'white on black' or 'black on white' shoes with the plastic cleated soles that everyone wore in t-ball circa 1976? I got mine at Otasco.

As for CR Anthonys, I will forever hate the matching ATB shoes, shorts and shirt combo from the early 80's.

Toughskins rocked. You could slide down the hill at high school football games and it did not make a mark on your jeans.

crawfish
1/20/2006, 08:24 AM
Yep, I wore Toughskins. I'd almost forgotten about 'em...

In fact, I had an entire outfit similar to the one on the left. My brothers pull out the old pictures every so often to torment me. :O

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 08:43 AM
i wore them....my grandmother retired from the sears store at the old "shepherd mall"....she got them at discount, so you can be sure i was never without toughskins...... :(

1/20/2006, 09:47 AM
I never knew they came in any color other than black.

All of mine were black. And I remember wearing out the fabric all around the knee insert, but the knee was still intact.

I'm going to have a little talk with mom and her black-jeans-buyin' ways.

Harry Beanbag
1/20/2006, 09:52 AM

Yep. :O

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 09:56 AM
i think they came with an extra pair of those knee patches in the pockets

william_brasky
1/20/2006, 09:58 AM
Otasco

spek

fadada1
1/20/2006, 10:04 AM
never had toughskins. mostly because i grew up in new york - we were ahead of the okies. although, i was born in OKC. looking back, i think i missed out something.

picasso
I was the first kid at my school to sport a pair of Nikes. They were the original white pair with the red swoosh, with a touch of blue. Can't recall if they were canvas or leather, of course I later had the sweet leather one's too. I'm thinking it was 5th or 6th grade, circa '79.

Mjcpr
Zips shoes......anyone?

picasso
1/20/2006, 10:06 AM
I never knew they came in any color other than black.

All of mine were black. And I remember wearing out the fabric all around the knee insert, but the knee was still intact.

remember the asphalt playground crash? whether it be tag or kickball, if you bit it there was always a hole in the knee of the jeans and a nice big chunk of flesh missing.

critical_phil
1/20/2006, 10:07 AM
looking back, i think i missed out something.

yeah, you did.

it was called Crystal's Pizza ..................

Harry Beanbag
1/20/2006, 10:10 AM
I was the first kid at my school to sport a pair of Nikes. They were the original white pair with the red swoosh, with a touch of blue. Can't recall if they were canvas or leather, of course I later had the sweet leather one's too. I'm thinking it was 5th or 6th grade, circa '79.

Those leather ones were sweet. Mine were white with the navy swoosh and I was proud as hell of them. :)

picasso
1/20/2006, 10:12 AM
Those leather ones were sweet. Mine were white with the navy swoosh and I was proud as hell of them. :)
I had a sweet pair stolen from the pool at Falls Creek one summer, white leather, red swoosh with red shoe strings. damn thieving Baptist bastard.:D :mad:

SoonerInKCMO
1/20/2006, 10:13 AM

At least yours weren't plaid.

Plaid Toughskins + black leather corrective shoes = :( :(

fadada1
1/20/2006, 10:15 AM
Zips shoes......anyone?
dude, i ran so freaking fast in those things!!!!

JohnnyMack
1/20/2006, 10:16 AM
yeah, you did.

it was called Crystal's Pizza ..................

:(

Sad. In. Pants.

Mjcpr
1/20/2006, 10:17 AM

When you stopped, did you make the "Z" ? :D

william_brasky
1/20/2006, 10:19 AM
remember the asphalt playground crash? whether it be tag or kickball, if you bit it there was always a hole in the knee of the jeans and a nice big chunk of flesh missing.

seemed like it happened everyday. balance was no good then. heck, it's no good now.

william_brasky
1/20/2006, 10:23 AM

you ain't fast. i'll race you. loser buys the winner a pop after school.

fadada1
1/20/2006, 10:27 AM
you ain't fast. i'll race you. loser buys the winner a pop after school.
I CHOOSE.... NOT TO RUN!!!!!!

fadada1
1/20/2006, 10:28 AM
When you stopped, did you make the "Z" ? :D
i haven't stopped!!! i'm still feeling the after effects 25+ years later.

Taxman71
1/20/2006, 10:53 AM

My white leather Nikes looked their best every Monday after the weekly white shoe polishing every Sunday night. Those things glowed.

Crystal's Pizza rocked. Watching the Three Stooges on a "big screen" while eating pizza was the shiznit.

Red October
1/20/2006, 10:54 AM
Hell Yeah!! oh the memories....

picasso
1/20/2006, 10:58 AM
I CHOOSE.... NOT TO RUN!!!!!!
I beat you then and I can beat you now!

Oldnslo
1/20/2006, 11:36 AM
toughskins. yup.

PF Flyers. check. Either that or Keds.

yermom
1/20/2006, 11:45 AM
all you guys forgot were the underoos

Okla-homey
1/20/2006, 11:54 AM
all you guys forgot were the underoos

We wore Fruit-of-the-Loom tighty whities like the good Lord intended back in the day thankyouverymuch.

XingTheRubicon
1/20/2006, 11:56 AM
What stings is there is an active Otasco in Sallisaw.

Oh, and don't forget Winners Choice....and my all time favorite coaches shoes....

Spot-bilts.

Shamrock
1/20/2006, 01:00 PM
PF Flyers.
"Run like the wind in your PF Flyers ...."

Those were "must have" shoes for young boys in the mid to late 60's ....

1/20/2006, 01:09 PM
My first Nikes were white canvas low-tops with the cyan swoosh. They had a white rubber toe cover.

'Be damned if I can find a photo through GIS.

They were basically Chuck Taylor lowtops with a swoosh.

OhU1
1/20/2006, 01:13 PM
Yep, Sears Toughskins jeans. "Husky" size.

Mjcpr
My first Nikes were white canvas low-tops with the cyan swoosh. They had a white rubber toe cover.

'Be damned if I can find a photo through GIS.

They were basically Chuck Taylor lowtops with a swoosh.

None of them survived the War of Nor'ern Aggression.

Pieces Hit
My mom always got me clothes and shoes that were too big for me and said I'd grow into 'em.

Looked like Emmett Kelly by the time they fit.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/20/2006, 01:19 PM
Remember the sound corduroys made when you would run?

Harry Beanbag
1/20/2006, 02:35 PM
Ugh, I hated corduroys.

SoonerInKCMO
1/20/2006, 03:39 PM
Crystal's Pizza rocked. Watching the Three Stooges on a "big screen" while eating pizza was the shiznit.

I always preferred Shotgun Sam's over Crystal's. Every movie they showed had a bad guy twirling his mustache after tying the fair maiden to the train tracks. Awesome. And later at night they'd have a band - they'd always play 'Bad, Bad Leroy Brown'. Now it's gone. :(

Nab'R
1/20/2006, 03:45 PM
My dad managed a CR Anthony's store so yes, all I had growing up were Fastbacks. They used to be blue with red and white stripes. One year, they got crazy and made some navy with white and silver stripes. Dallas Cowboys shoes. It ruled.

The only jeans I really remember specifically was Elephant Bells by Levi's (I think). Killer bell bottoms.

I never had toughskins, but my mom did use the iron on denim patch to repair my torn jeans. She would even get fancy and sew around the outside of them. When I wanted to be crazy, she'd get some embroidered patch and put it on. "Keep On Truckin'" or the like.

n8v_ndn
1/20/2006, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately for my kid brother, the damn Toughskins never wore out and he inherited mine when I outgrew them. Oh well, all the other younger brothers we knew were faced with the same fate. At least by the time he got them, they were not like wearing sheet zinc anymore.

So it was a lot like other cultures' passing down the family armor...sweet.

P.S. This thread is similar to what nursing home residents would make if'n they weren't scared of compooters. :)

Taxman71
1/20/2006, 04:32 PM
Yep, Sears Toughskins jeans. "Husky" size.

The use of the word "Husky" did more psychological harm to little boys in the 70's and 80's than Michael Jackson ever could. My older brother wore Husky and I still rag him about it to this day.

Also, the oval STP knee patches on jeans were way cool in the day. It was the grade school equivalent to the Skoal (Copenhagen for me) ring of my high school years.

Taxman71
1/20/2006, 04:34 PM
I always preferred Shotgun Sam's over Crystal's. Every movie they showed had a bad guy twirling his mustache after tying the fair maiden to the train tracks. Awesome. And later at night they'd have a band - they'd always play 'Bad, Bad Leroy Brown'. Now it's gone. :(

Used to go to the Shotgun Sam's on Air Depot in MWC. Unless that was a Shakey's, can't remember. Just remember that is where I was first introduced to Defender. The high score for years was held by the future Poke QB.

King Crimson
1/20/2006, 04:39 PM
for old timey Norman peeps, Little Italiano's was the shizz....to get yer pizza and stooges fix on. in the shopping center across from the old McDonalds, Duncan Donuts and LJS on Lindsey.

SoonerInKCMO
1/20/2006, 10:23 PM
Used to go to the Shotgun Sam's on Air Depot in MWC. Unless that was a Shakey's, can't remember. Just remember that is where I was first introduced to Defender. The high score for years was held by the future Poke QB.

That's the one we went to. I woulda whupped Gundy's narrow *** at that Defender game but I was too busy workin' it on Galaga.

Dio
1/21/2006, 10:58 AM

Werd!

Dio
1/21/2006, 11:07 AM
This thread reminds me of the City of Moore shopping center when I was a kid. They had:

Humpty's
OTASCO
Radio Shack (TRS-80, beeeyotch!)
Anthony's
TG&Y
Safeway
Big Ed's
That used bookstore (they sold comic books)
and The Movies in Moore

Had everything but a Sears- we had to go to 44th & Western for the Toughskins, but back then, you could actually converse with your fellow shoppers in English.

StoopTroup
1/21/2006, 11:08 AM
There wasn't but one kid who could catch me when I was running in these babies....I was fast I tell ya...

http://www.finishline.com/store/images/products/lg1q811nvy.jpg

royalfan5
1/21/2006, 11:14 AM
I just got slim fit Rustler's from Wal-Mart if I got new jeans. I also had a lot of homemade clothes because my mom is very handle with a needle. Sears was more money than my mom was going to spend.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/21/2006, 11:24 AM
This thread reminds me of the City of Moore shopping center when I was a kid. They had:

Humpty's
OTASCO
Radio Shack (TRS-80, beeeyotch!)
Anthony's
TG&Y
Safeway
Big Ed's
That used bookstore (they sold comic books)
and The Movies in Moore

How old are you? I remember all of that stuff but then I remember other stores that have come and gone too. The TG&Y on I-240 was the "big" TG&Y

Okla-homey
1/21/2006, 03:59 PM
I just got slim fit Rustler's from Wal-Mart if I got new jeans. I also had a lot of homemade clothes because my mom is very handle with a needle. Sears was more money than my mom was going to spend.

Yeah bro, but one pair of Toughskins could be worn for years by two kids. Those Wally-world britches ain't even close to being as hard wearing as these things were. Therefore, they were cheaper for cash-strapped Moms in the long run.

Also, FWIW, when I was wearing them, the only store Sam Walton owned was in Bentonville AR.;) That was back when our little towns had lots of mom-n-pop run stores and character out the wazzoo. Now, not so much.:(

royalfan5
1/21/2006, 04:04 PM
Yeah bro, but one pair of Toughskins could be worn for years by two kids. Those Wally-world britches ain't even close to being as hard wearing as these things were. Therefore, they were cheaper for cash-strapped Moms in the long run.

Also, FWIW, when I was wearing them, the only store Sam Walton owned was in Bentonville AR.;) That was back when our little towns had lots of mom-n-pop run stores and character out the wazzoo. Now, not so much.:(
However, I was an only child, so buying jeans that could last two kids had significantly less utility for us. That and I wore a lot of Key Overalls, which are the best overalls in my opinion.