PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives, Liberals, and Quebeckers

KaiserSooner
1/19/2006, 09:26 PM
...I think that's what you call inhabitants of Quebec. Anyway, as a Liberal Party candidate concedes defeat in Quebec four days before the election, it appears it's a two horse race in Quebec, between the BQ and the unlikely Conservatives.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060119.wsavard0119/BNStory/Front

Blue
1/19/2006, 09:28 PM
Hoser bait...

KaiserSooner
1/19/2006, 11:38 PM
Well, for junkies like me it's pretty interesting. After splitting up, the Conservative Party looks like it actually might have its sh!t together up there to finally win an election after 13 yrs in the dark. And by win, I mean win more seats than any other party. I doubt they get a majority.

proud gonzo
1/19/2006, 11:41 PM
quebeckians? quebeckites?

Ike
1/19/2006, 11:55 PM
its quebequois.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 11:57 PM
Who are they trying to fool having elections anyway, they're the 51st state.

MojoRisen
1/20/2006, 12:02 AM
Mounted police could mess up Bad BOYS WHHHHAT YA GROIN TO DO BAD BOYS BAD BOYS~

KaiserSooner
1/20/2006, 02:17 AM
its quebequois.

Yeah, something like that. But the English speaking Canadians use a different word. Something like Quebecker.

HoserSooner
1/20/2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah, something like that. But the English speaking Canadians use a different word. Something like Quebecker.

"Frogs" or "Dirty Frenchman" are used quite often as well. If someone asks if I speak French, my reply is that I speak Canadian.

It's going to be a close one by the looks of things. I'm still going with Martin and the Liberals, scandal or no scandal.

WisconsinSooner
1/20/2006, 10:39 AM
"Frogs" or "Dirty Frenchman" are used quite often as well. If someone asks if I speak French, my reply is that I speak Canadian.

It's going to be a close one by the looks of things. I'm still going with Martin and the Liberals, scandal or no scandal.

Then I guess you don't mind your tax dollars being funneled off, illegally I might add, to the ""Frogs" or "Dirty Frenchman"."

HoserSooner
1/20/2006, 10:42 AM
Then I guess you don't mind your tax dollars being funneled off, illegally I might add, to the ""Frogs" or "Dirty Frenchman"."

Doesn't matter who is in power, there is going to be corruption. I'll take a bit of corruption over a political party that feels it has the right to ban gay marraige and abortion.

WisconsinSooner
1/20/2006, 10:47 AM
Doesn't matter who is in power, there is going to be corruption. I'll take a bit of corruption over a political party that feels it has the right to ban gay marraige and abortion.

Wow, Paul. . . is that you? Sounds just like the Paul Martin quote from todays Globe and Mail.

"He insisted that Mr. Harper's remarks show he wants to override the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to ban same-sex marriage and possibly abortion. "Are we going to find ourselves in the same situation that they are in the United States, where in fact it is not only the competence of a judge that governs, but in fact it is a judge's social views?" Mr. Martin asked."

Once again showing the stupidity and lack of understanding of the United States by Canada's current Liberal Government.

WisconsinSooner
1/20/2006, 10:51 AM
"Are we going to find ourselves in the same situation that they are in the United States, where in fact it is not only the competence of a judge that governs, but in fact it is a judge's social views?" Mr. Martin asked."

Once again showing the stupidity and lack of understanding of the United States by Canada's current Liberal Government.

I'll qualify this remark by stating Paul is right to the extent that a judges social views are important to the left of this country (see the Alito hearings) while competence is the major concern of the right. (See the Ginsburg hearings)

HoserSooner
1/20/2006, 10:56 AM
Wow, Paul. . . is that you? Sounds just like the Paul Martin quote from todays Globe and Mail.

"He insisted that Mr. Harper's remarks show he wants to override the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to ban same-sex marriage and possibly abortion. "Are we going to find ourselves in the same situation that they are in the United States, where in fact it is not only the competence of a judge that governs, but in fact it is a judge's social views?" Mr. Martin asked."

I don't approve of Martin's US bashing at all, but the PC's won't do the country any better than the current Liberals. He has to watch what he says...this is becoming quite common in this election. I do know that he is still pretty ****ed about the lumber issue that has yet to be resolved from what I know.

WisconsinSooner
1/20/2006, 11:04 AM
My response to the lumber issue has been that Canada can go #$ck itself. We buy 80% of Canada's export yet the liberal goverment continues on a daily basis to bash the United States. Especially during this election. They continue in essence to bash the hand that feeds them. And you know hoser, I've told you before, that my wife is from Timmins ON and I love Canada but enoughs enough. A friend that continuously stabs you in the back isn't your friend. A friend that continuously has to tear you down to feel good about itself isn't a friend.

HoserSooner
1/20/2006, 11:16 AM
My response to the lumber issue has been that Canada can go #$ck itself. We buy 80% of Canada's export yet the liberal goverment continues on a daily basis to bash the United States. Especially during this election. They continue in essence to bash the hand that feeds them. And you know hoser, I've told you before, that my wife is from Timmins ON and I love Canada but enoughs enough. A friend that continuously stabs you in the back isn't your friend. A friend that continuously has to tear you down to feel good about itself isn't a friend.

While I don't cliam to be an expert on the subject (I find politics about as interesting as knitting), from what I understand, there was a court ruling on the issue, and the US failed to comply with it.

On Aug. 10, 2005, an “extraordinary challenge panel” under NAFTA dismissed American claims that the earlier NAFTA decision in favour of Canada violated trade rules.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/softwood_lumber/

What is fair and what isn't fair is subjective, depending on what side you are on. But I have no issue with a Prime Minister that is willing to stand up for his country, as I'm sure you would feel the same with your President.

WisconsinSooner
1/20/2006, 11:29 AM
But I have no issue with a Prime Minister that is willing to stand up for his country, as I'm sure you would feel the same with your President.

I have no problem with the prime minister standing up for his country. And you are right, what is fair is fair. But even Jean Chrétien knew to back off the U.S. bashing. If Canada is going to continue to oppose the United States, to act in opposition, to bad mouth the United States and continue to stab us in the back then I don't have a problem with our president retaliating. And make no mistake; our stance regarding the lumber issue is retaliation for your government's shortcomings as an ally.

HoserSooner
1/20/2006, 11:42 AM
I have no problem with the prime minister standing up for his country. And you are right, what is fair is fair. But even Jean Chrétien knew to back off the U.S. bashing. If Canada is going to continue to oppose the United States, to act in opposition, to bad mouth the United States and continue to stab us in the back then I don't have a problem with our president retaliating. And make no mistake; our stance regarding the lumber issue is retaliation for your government's shortcomings as an ally.

I agree...the bashing of the US is stupid. I don't know why he insists on making the public comments as much as he does. Maybe he just doesn't like GWB? Regardless though, he should know when to keep his mouth shut...if they win, they need to hire him a PR guy right away.

I don't know about Harper and what he would do as far as US relations go, but I have heard him attack Martin on his US bashing. If I thought the NDP has a snowball's chance in hell of beating either, I'd go with them. I like Jack Layton and think he'd be a good Prime Minister, but the NDP party is a little out there.

Right now it is a question of who do I dislike the least.

WisconsinSooner
1/20/2006, 11:43 AM
Regardless, this election looks like a partial repeat of 2004. The Tories will make gains but not enough to gain a majority.

WisconsinSooner
1/20/2006, 11:52 AM
The NDP has the incumbant in Timmins. Go figure. The town is heavily French Canadian. When driving through Sault Ste. Marie I saw a ton of NDP signs. Jack Layton, from what I have seen, is an amazing politician. But you are right, the NDP is pretty far out there. I have liked Harper for a long time but he just doesn't play well in the GTA or Quebec.

TUSooner
1/20/2006, 11:53 AM
While I don't cliam to be an expert on the subject (I find politics about as interesting as knitting)....
Why do you hate knitting?

:O

HoserSooner
1/20/2006, 01:33 PM
Why do you hate knitting?

:O

Oh I don't hate it....just don't find it all that entertaining.
:D

HoserSooner
1/20/2006, 01:35 PM
The NDP has the incumbant in Timmins. Go figure. The town is heavily French Canadian. When driving through Sault Ste. Marie I saw a ton of NDP signs. Jack Layton, from what I have seen, is an amazing politician. But you are right, the NDP is pretty far out there. I have liked Harper for a long time but he just doesn't play well in the GTA or Quebec.

He would most likely win in a landslide if he would backoff the abortion and gay marraige issues. Most people that I talk to that are anti-Harper, list those two reasons as the sticking points.

KaiserSooner
1/20/2006, 05:32 PM
Hoser you sound like the typical Ontarioan (?) and Canadian as a whole, in terms of seriously distrusting Harper over social issues.

It kind of sounds like Harper will win more seats than any other party, at least at this point, but definitely not a majority. I have trouble seeing the Conservatives win an outright majority until they back off their social authoritarianism. But who knows.

Prediction: Conservatives win most seats but no majority. Harper becomes PM with the tacit backing of the Bloc. That arrangement will last about a year or so, with yet another election called.

WisconsinSooner
1/20/2006, 06:35 PM
As of this morning this is how the numbers looked:

Conservative - 37%
Liberal - 28%
NDP - 16%
Bloc - 12%

I am still hesitant to give my projection although I would like to see a conservative majority.

And the only "social authoritarianism" of the conservatives is the perception as assigned by the liberals and the media, not the facts.

There's a big difference between being socially conservative and being authoritarian. But it’s Harper’s own fault for allowing himself and his party to be portrayed in that light. Although he did fight back somewhat today:

"Mr. Martin is trying to make Canadians believe we could stack a court when we could make one appointment in the next seven years," Steven Harper told reporters. "I don't think you have to be very good at math to figure out you can't stack a court with one appointment." Steven Harper

WisconsinSooner
1/23/2006, 02:07 PM
Good luck today Hoser and to any other friends of the board that reside north of the border. Since I have one of the most worthless degrees available (Poli Sci) I find the election a little more interesting than knitting. ;)

I find politics about as interesting as knitting

Hope you had a chance to get out and vote!

OklahomaTuba
1/23/2006, 02:48 PM
Gotta love a country where freedom of speech is repressed.

But strike one up for the conservative blogs. Amazing to think this whole deal started by some kid on a website exposing the corrupt libz that has over thrown an entire government..

HoserSooner
1/23/2006, 02:55 PM
Good luck today Hoser and to any other friends of the board that reside north of the border. Since I have one of the most worthless degrees available (Poli Sci) I find the election a little more interesting than knitting. ;)

Hope you had a chance to get out and vote!

I got out during my lunch and cast my ballot. I fear that it will be all in vain, but we'll see what happens at the end of the day. Hopefully they'll give some kind of an update between periods of the Leafs/Senators game. ;)

WisconsinSooner
1/23/2006, 03:13 PM
Leafs/Sens. . . Another reason I despise my digital cable company not offering the Center Ice Package. I'm sure the television stations up there won't cut away from the game too many times. They have their priorities straight. ;)

HoserSooner
1/23/2006, 03:15 PM
Leafs/Sens. . . Another reason I despise my digital cable company not offering the Center Ice Package. I'm sure the television stations up there won't cut away from the game too many times. They have their priorities straight. ;)

With the way the Leafs have been doing against Ottawa recently, watching the election coverage may be more exciting. :(

WisconsinSooner
1/23/2006, 03:17 PM
I get the Boston at Washington game tonight. WHOOOOOOOP DEEE DOOOOOOO Although I have not seen Ovechkin yet so that may draw my attention.

HoserSooner
1/23/2006, 03:20 PM
I get the Boston at Washington game tonight. WHOOOOOOOP DEEE DOOOOOOO Although I have not seen Ovechkin yet so that may draw my attention.

Rookie of the year, hands down. Saw him play against my Leafs twice, and I've seen Crosby twice now as well. Far and away one of the best players on the ice today. Ovechkin with a supporting cast would be scary...

mdklatt
1/23/2006, 03:20 PM
Room.

WisconsinSooner
1/23/2006, 03:39 PM
I'll have to watch a little of the game tonight to see Ovechkin play. Crosby has been getting all the hype down here and the airtime. Seems the Pens are on TV every other night. I'll get my election updates online. Do they announce the winners of the ridings pretty early or do they make you wait until the polls close out in B.C.?

HoserSooner
1/23/2006, 03:47 PM
I'll have to watch a little of the game tonight to see Ovechkin play. Crosby has been getting all the hype down here and the airtime. Seems the Pens are on TV every other night. I'll get my election updates online. Do they announce the winners of the ridings pretty early or do they make you wait until the polls close out in B.C.?

I believe that they start to disclose the results from Newfoundland & the maritimes first sometime around 9:00 EST, and then carry across the country as the polls close. Should have a pretty good idea by 11:00 EST once they get done with Ontario & Quebec, where the majority of the ridings and population are.

Hopefully you'll get to see the kid play a good game. Very different that Crosby, and gets a lot less press nationally. Up here though, everyone knows Ovechkin is the better of the two so far.

WisconsinSooner
1/23/2006, 11:42 PM
11:26 p.m. EST: CTV BlackBerry Rumours Paul Martin not ready to admit defeat: Will he try and form a coalition with the NDP? Rumours.

Can Martin give Layton enough to jerk the rug out from under Harpers feet?

WisconsinSooner
1/23/2006, 11:43 PM
Starting to sound like our 2000 presidential election.

royalfan5
1/23/2006, 11:53 PM
With the way the Leafs have been doing against Ottawa recently, watching the election coverage may be more exciting. :(
How bout those Senators? I have been pleased with them this year.(I'm likely the only Senators fan in Nebraska)

KaiserSooner
1/24/2006, 12:46 AM
Can Martin give Layton enough to jerk the rug out from under Harpers feet?

Not by a longshot. CBC currenty has 103 seats, the NDP 29. That's 22 seats short of majority. In any event, the Conservatives will rely mostly (that not in every case) on the Quebec separatists to keep their government in power.

BTW, Paul Martin is stepping down as Liberal leader.

KaiserSooner
1/24/2006, 12:48 AM
Starting to sound like our 2000 presidential election.

Nah. In terms of popular vote, the party with the most votes will actually "win" this one. In any event, it looks much more like the 2004 Canadian elections because, like that one, this one has produced another minority government.

WisconsinSooner
1/24/2006, 03:14 AM
I made the above comment tongue in cheek. I thought it was a great rumor. Congrats to Harper for being the first PM from Alberta in 25 years and for not screwing this one up. The next year will be an interesting one for Canadian politics. And ya, about like 2004 Kaiser. This is the win the Conservatives should have had in 04. The NDP and Liberals are in an awkward position. If they call a no confidence vote too early it might anger the voters and lead to a Conservative majority; wait too long and the Conservatives may become popular enough to win a majority. That is if the Conservatives are not making the political blunders for which they have shown a propensity. On a side note I say the softwood lumber issue is resolved in less than a year.

WisconsinSooner
1/24/2006, 03:38 AM
Interesting thought now that the votes are in:

To rule Parliament you need 155 votes. Consider the following:

103 (Lib) + 51 (BQ) + 1 (Ind) = 155

Not that this will happen but. . . Since the PM is formally appointed by the Governor General, the Governor General has in his/her power to choose as PM a member of parliament who can command the support of a majority of the House of Commons.

HoserSooner
1/24/2006, 10:34 AM
Leafs game was exciting, so I didn't tune in until around 11:00. No surprises though...Martin had dug himself too deep of a hole to get himself and his party out of.

Too bad Jack Layton (probably best of the 4 for Prime Minister) leads such a weak party.

KaiserSooner
1/24/2006, 01:08 PM
Interesting thought now that the votes are in:

To rule Parliament you need 155 votes. Consider the following:

103 (Lib) + 51 (BQ) + 1 (Ind) = 155

Not that this will happen but. . . Since the PM is formally appointed by the Governor General, the Governor General has in his/her power to choose as PM a member of parliament who can command the support of a majority of the House of Commons.

True, but too many bridges have been burned between the Liberals and the BQ to form a coalition. The BQ is more likely to cooperate with the Conservatives.

HoserSooner
1/24/2006, 02:04 PM
True, but too many bridges have been burned between the Liberals and the BQ to form a coalition. The BQ is more likely to cooperate with the Conservatives.

Yeah, from what I understand, the BQ is basically a more radical french version of the Conservatives. I can see the NDP and Liberals getting together though.

I guess it could be worse...the BQ could have won. ;)

KaiserSooner
1/24/2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah, from what I understand, the BQ is basically a more radical french version of the Conservatives. .

Something like that, though without the social conservatism. Last night on the CBC, the talking heads were saying the BQ was basically formed out of the old Quebec Conservative Party.