PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taken the GRE recently?

GDC
1/19/2006, 12:34 PM
Any advice or suggestions? I heard it's all computerized now, it was paper and pencil when I took it the first time around 1990.

IronSooner
1/19/2006, 12:41 PM
Take something to snack on during your break.

I used both ear plugs and a headset and that pretty well took care of any noise in the testing room (shouldn't be much anyway)

GRE provides you with some sample tests. I bought the Princeton Review book and that was pretty helpful I think.

I took it twice and my score improved marginally the 2nd time. The english is mostly vocab, or at least that's the best way to study for it. The math isn't too complicated, no calculus or anything, you just have to be efficient at how you work the problems.

Ike
1/19/2006, 12:42 PM
I took it in 1999 when it had just gone to being all computerized (the general part anyway). I didn't prepare one iota, and just showed up and answered the damn questions.

I think I might have been hung over too, but I don't recall. bottom line, it wasn't very hard.

the physics GRE on the other hand, kicked the holy hell outta my ***. there were several times during that test where I had to remind myself that I was in fact in the right place. But I didn't prepare for that one either.

still did well enough to get into grad school though, and thats all that matters.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 12:45 PM
Any advice or suggestions? I heard it's all computerized now, it was paper and pencil when I took it the first time around 1990.

Advice: Take a prep course, especially if you've been out of school a while. You really will do better and the good ones give you a diagnostic representative GRE at the beginning and will give you your money back if your actual GRE score is not better than that diagnostic score.

Just google up GRE prep and find a course being taught near you by one of the national companies.

fadada1
1/19/2006, 01:17 PM
all the answers are "C"!!!!!!

you know when you're doing well, because the questions get harder.

Pieces Hit
1/19/2006, 01:28 PM
Genitalia Recognition Exam?

Every day.

critical_phil
1/19/2006, 02:06 PM

you p*ssy.

take the MCAT..........

sanantoniosooner
1/19/2006, 02:17 PM
After the way he posts, I'd have never guessed gdc would be up for a Gay Rectal Exam.

GDC
1/19/2006, 02:35 PM
you p*ssy.

take the MCAT..........

I'd consider the OCAT, your patients don't die on you as often in that field.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/19/2006, 10:22 PM
I took it the Saturday after the May 3, 1999 tornado which was probably not the best timing because my neighborhood was in the path and my house took a big hit. That was the first day I had really gotten out of the destruction, but I really just wanted to go home. That reflected in my scores.

Fortunately for me, OU College of Journalism didn't count the math part because I suck at math.

GDC
1/19/2006, 10:52 PM
Advice: Take a prep course, especially if you've been out of school a while. You really will do better and the good ones give you a diagnostic representative GRE at the beginning and will give you your money back if your actual GRE score is not better than that diagnostic score.

Just google up GRE prep and find a course being taught near you by one of the national companies.

Thanks Homey, I probably better do that, I haven't used some of that math in a while. I just can't believe OU is making me take it again.

OUAndy1807
1/19/2006, 11:40 PM
I took it a couple of weeks ago. Go buy the Kaplan book and the Barrons book. You'll spend about $50 total and you'll get 4 full length practice tests, 3 CAT tests (same computer format) and bout 7 practice modules each of the math and verbal. Don't get discouraged if your test scores on the practice tests aren't what you think they should be, because I have a sneaking suspicion that they tell you your adjusted score lower than what it actually is so that you'll study harder. I consistently got 1230's on my practice tests and ended up with a 1300 on the actual test.

OUAndy1807
1/19/2006, 11:42 PM
Also, if you're weak on verbal, get some flash cards because that's about all that it involves. Besides the reading comprehension, ever verbal part relates to word comprehension.

GDC
1/20/2006, 08:51 AM
I took it a couple of weeks ago. Go buy the Kaplan book and the Barrons book. You'll spend about $50 total and you'll get 4 full length practice tests, 3 CAT tests (same computer format) and bout 7 practice modules each of the math and verbal. Don't get discouraged if your test scores on the practice tests aren't what you think they should be, because I have a sneaking suspicion that they tell you your adjusted score lower than what it actually is so that you'll study harder. I consistently got 1230's on my practice tests and ended up with a 1300 on the actual test.

Thanks Andy, I've got the Barron's book. I'm still debating on taking a prep course as Homey suggested. I'm not concerned about the verbal, it's the math I need to bone up on.

OUAndy1807
1/20/2006, 11:42 AM
the math is pretty easy once you get into it. The GRE has a good study review for the math section. It breaks the questions down by type and then has 20 questions or so at the end of each section. What I did was go through it all once and figure out what I needed to work on so I could focus a little better. There really isn't anything harder than high school algebra, but it can get tricky especially if you haven't seen it in a while.

The barrons book is good, but take some of the computer tests. Then you're bound by the time limits and can learn the format so that you don't have to waste time on it during the test.

Okla-homey
1/20/2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks Andy, I've got the Barron's book. I'm still debating on taking a prep course as Homey suggested. I'm not concerned about the verbal, it's the math I need to bone up on.

I took the course because I needed the in-class structure. I knew I wouldn't be disciplined enough to study on my own. That said, if you're the type who can buy the materials then make yourself plow through them, that would be cheaper.

GDC
1/20/2006, 12:25 PM
I took the course because I needed the in-class structure. I knew I wouldn't be disciplined enough to study on my own. That said, if you're the type who can buy the materials then make yourself plow through them, that would be cheaper.

I think that's what I'll do, because I scheduled it for next week, and once I really started looking at it the math isn't that big a deal. Since c_p called me a wuss I think I'll go ahead and take the OCAT and MCAT and see how I do before I get any older.

SoonerInKCMO
1/20/2006, 12:29 PM
I think I'll go ahead and take the OCAT and MCAT and see how I do before I get any older.

Don't forget the LSAT!

So ... OU doesn't want your older results ... what type of limit do they have on the age of results?

GDC
1/20/2006, 12:31 PM
Don't forget the LSAT!

So ... OU doesn't want your older results ... what type of limit do they have on the age of results?

Nothing older than five years, I think that's bs, especially if you have another graduate degree.

SoonerInKCMO
1/20/2006, 12:36 PM
the physics GRE on the other hand, kicked the holy hell outta my ***.

I was goofing around on the GRE website a couple of weeks ago and downloaded practice exams for the math, physics and computer science tests. I was very frightened. :(

critical_phil
1/20/2006, 12:40 PM
Since c_p called me a wuss I think I'll go ahead and take the OCAT and MCAT and see how I do before I get any older.

ahh, it doesn't make you a wuss. you've said before that you hadn't ruled out trying med school, so why not go for the grandaddy of standardized tests.

i took it 2 times back in college. it was pretty bad. you pretty much have to ace the verbal just to get an average score. the science sections are insane.

GDC
1/20/2006, 01:23 PM
ahh, it doesn't make you a wuss. you've said before that you hadn't ruled out trying med school, so why not go for the grandaddy of standardized tests.

i took it 2 times back in college. it was pretty bad. you pretty much have to ace the verbal just to get an average score. the science sections are insane.

My Cherokee Nation card is my ace in the hole to compensate for average test scores.;)

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2006, 01:27 PM
what is the OCAT? I know the MCAT is fro med school, LSAT for law school and GRE for grad school. Never heard of the OCAT.

GDC
1/20/2006, 01:29 PM
what is the OCAT? I know the MCAT is fro med school, LSAT for law school and GRE for grad school. Never heard of the OCAT.

optometry

critical_phil
1/20/2006, 02:15 PM
My Cherokee Nation card is my ace in the hole to compensate for average test scores.;)

this isn't funny to a whitey who was wait-listed two different times.

i had an undergrad classmate who was accepted at OSU-COM but declined her seat to wait another year to see if she got into an allopathic school.

her reasoning? she said she'd continue to collect her indian stipend as long as she was in school and she'd just wait it out.

gave me kind of a sick feeling...........

GDC
1/20/2006, 02:35 PM
her reasoning? she said she'd continue to collect her indian stipend as long as she was in school and she'd just wait it out.

gave me kind of a sick feeling...........

I'm perfectly content letting the feds massage the collective national guilt with $.:)

Ike
1/20/2006, 02:46 PM
I was goofing around on the GRE website a couple of weeks ago and downloaded practice exams for the math, physics and computer science tests. I was very frightened. :(

the physics one should. 50% of the problems on that come from subject matter that most physics undergrads have never seen in their lives. scary ****.