PDA

View Full Version : Support our Troops!!!

BoomerJack
1/19/2006, 11:52 AM
Contact your U.S. Reps. and Sens. about this.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/13655044.htm

Hatfield
1/19/2006, 12:02 PM
ssshhhhh....go back to sleep.

BoomerJack
1/19/2006, 12:51 PM
ssshhhhh....go back to sleep.

Are you talking to me or to the U.S. Congress or to the American Electorate?

soonerscuba
1/19/2006, 02:05 PM
I put a yellow ribbon on my car, how could I possibly do more?

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2006, 02:07 PM
actually its "support your veterans".......in this instance anyway

Hatfield
1/19/2006, 02:22 PM
why do you hate our troops boomer?

BoomerJack
1/19/2006, 04:35 PM
why do you hate our troops boomer?

WTF?!?!? I post a link to a newspaper article that says that the D.O.D. may be planning to reduce retired veteran's benefits and increase their insurance premiums and copays and I hate our troops!?!?!?! WTF?!?!??

soonerscuba
1/19/2006, 04:37 PM
Hatfield, why do you hate n00bs?

Hatfield
1/19/2006, 04:47 PM
because i no longer are one

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2006, 04:48 PM
This is a good thread to read.

Penguin
1/19/2006, 04:55 PM
OMG! They want them to $1500/year for their entire family for the best health plan in America? Good lord, I work with people on that plan and when they go to the hospital for their quadruple bypass surgeries or whatever, they only pay for the food they eat.

I pay over $2500 for just me and my wife for very crappy coverage. I'm not shedding a single tear.

Hatfield
1/19/2006, 04:56 PM
and why should you shed a tear when all they had to shed was their blood.

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2006, 04:59 PM
Only problem I have is this is breaking a promise the government made to these employees. If they want to chang it for people not yet in the military that is OK.

If you wanted to be on that plan you could have spent 20 plus years in uniform like these people did.

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2006, 05:02 PM
Only problem I have is this is breaking a promise the government made to these employees. If they want to chang it for people not yet in the military that is OK.

If you wanted to be on that plan you could have spent 20 plus years in uniform like these people did.

yep.

Penguin
1/19/2006, 05:03 PM
and why should you shed a tear when all they had to shed was their blood.

Oh, no. I certainly appreciate their service to America. I just want them to realize that they still have the sweetest deal on medical coverage than any other American.

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2006, 05:04 PM
Oh, no. I certainly appreciate their service to America.

well thats obvious based on your previous post....:rolleyes:

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 05:05 PM
Wait, does this mean that Republicans hate America now? I need a pie chart or something.

Penguin
1/19/2006, 05:09 PM
well thats obvious based on your previous post....:rolleyes:

Yeah. I hate America. How did you know?

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2006, 05:11 PM
sorry, i'm just on the side of the fence that you wont shed a tear for.....i have a different perspective

you'll have to forgive me if i found your remark.......well, the way i found it

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 05:14 PM
The thing about military retirees is we vote and we are very well organized. They won't increase our premium that much once the DAV, American Legion, VFW, AFSA, Navy League, Marine Corps League, AF Association, etc. start to bring political pressure to bear. I bet the phone is already ringing of the hook at the Capitol. I think I'm going to fire off a few pithy e-mails to OUr senators and my rep myself.

That said, I must be consistent. I've given the autoworkers hell for years for about bankrupting the big three with absurdly expensive retirement benefit packages. I'm fine with an increase if its fair, but a tripling is tough to swallow all in one fell swoop.

The other thing about our healthcare program is vast numbers of retirees aren't otherwise insurable because we have pre-existing service-connected ailments. I don't think its fair to make some guy pay way more than he'd planned when he doesn't have an economically feasible private sector alternative.

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 05:15 PM
I just want them to realize that they still have the sweetest deal on medical coverage than any other American.

Changing the rules of the game at halftime ain't cool no matter what. If the government can't even keep it's promises to the military what's next? Social Security? :eddie:

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2006, 05:16 PM
That said, I must be consistent. I've given the autoworkers hell for years for about bankrupting the big three with absurdly expensive retirement benefit packages. I'm fine with an increase if its fair, but a tripling is tough to swallow all in one fell swoop.

exactly

The other thing about our healthcare program is vast numbers of retirees aren't otherwise insurable because we have pre-existing service-connected ailments. I don't think its fair to make some guy pay way more than he'd planned when he doesn't have an economically feasible private sector alternative.

exactly

Penguin
1/19/2006, 05:19 PM
I meant no offense. I just don't know why I should write my Senator about slightly higher insurance premiums for a health plan that's better than any other American's.

Penguin
1/19/2006, 05:21 PM

I gotta agree with that.

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2006, 05:25 PM
Penguin. I'll take my HMO through Aetna any day over the crap you have to do to see a doctor in the military.
Any day of the week.
In my case, and maybe it was just me, I walked away with the impression that if you are an E-4 you are just lying, you are not hurt and you have to pay out of your own pocket to have a civilian doctor write you a note that you need an MRI. When the MRI comes back and it says you have a torn ACL and they still will not do anything about it it gives you a bad taste in your mouth.

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2006, 05:26 PM
you have no idea how hard it is for me to find a doctor in this area that is in the tricare network...there are other things (referral system) that make me think at times i'd be better off going with what the company has.....but i dont

SCOUT
1/19/2006, 08:12 PM
I will start by saying that I think the government should honor their word to the veterans. I don't know exactly what they promised the troops when they enlisted so I don't really know if they are doing that. I also think that our veterans deserve top of the line health care at a very affordable rate. I have no problem with them only paying premiums that are a fraction of the cost people who did not serve pay.

With that said I thought it was worth mentioning actual health care costs. The average individual pays about $300 per month in medical insurance premiums (this is both employer and employee portions) and a family pays about $850 . These numbers are from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. My companies insurance plan is about $400 for an individual and $950 for a family. Even with the increase the veteran's benefit is extremely affordable.

I think an appropriate solution could be to have veterans benefits be a percentage of the civilian population premiums. That way they would be proportionate and would adjust along with the actual costs. An idea like this should be on a going forward basis. People who were promised something should get what they were promised.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 08:35 PM
I will start by saying that I think the government should honor their word to the veterans. I don't know exactly what they promised the troops when they enlisted so I don't really know if they are doing that. I also think that our veterans deserve top of the line health care at a very affordable rate. I have no problem with them only paying premiums that are a fraction of the cost people who did not serve pay.

With that said I thought it was worth mentioning actual health care costs. The average individual pays about $300 per month in medical insurance premiums (this is both employer and employee portions) and a family pays about $850 . These numbers are from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. My companies insurance plan is about $400 for an individual and $950 for a family. Even with the increase the veteran's benefit is extremely affordable.

I think an appropriate solution could be to have veterans benefits be a percentage of the civilian population premiums. That way they would be proportionate and would adjust along with the actual costs. An idea like this should be on a going forward basis. People who were promised something should get what they were promised.

Thanks for the sentiment Scout. Unfortunately, we don't have a contract with the government for our retirement benefits so they can do just about anything they can bear the political heat for doing to us. That's why the original poster hoped folks here, being great Americans, would drop an e-mail to their congresspeople to let them know they think this idea succs

It's a way you can say "thanks for serving" in a very meaningful way that may make a very important diffrence in the lives of an awful lot of broken down old GI's who gave their best to this country and just ask for the current benefit to be retained.

Penguin
1/19/2006, 10:16 PM
Sorry if I come across heartless, but my experience is with retired E-8's who talk about how their retirement checks are paying their mortgage while their salary at work is just free money. I don't think that they'll be too strapped for cash when it comes to upping insurance premiums. In fact, I have a hard time imagining any retired E-7's or E-8's being too upset about this.

Of course, I do feel sorry for anyone that was handicapped from their service and will have a hard time meeting the new fees. I really don't know what to say, but I hope charities and churches will help these people out.

Also, I have to ask what did the government promise? Free healthcare forever? For life? You do know that you're dealing with the government, right? Over a lifespan of 80 years, things change and the government may need to change the rules. Am I missing something here? Are people expecting the government to give away free healthcare forever and ever?

**** happens. Deal with it.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 11:35 PM
Also, I have to ask what did the government promise? Free healthcare forever? For life? You do know that you're dealing with the government, right? Over a lifespan of 80 years, things change and the government may need to change the rules. Am I missing something here? Are people expecting the government to give away free healthcare forever and ever?

Look, its not a matter of the government keeping its promises. Its a matter of making good on a debtto guys who earned it. I still have enough confidence in the system to believe that ultimately, they'll do the right thing. This is not the first time the bean-counters have tried to balance the books by ignoring a debt to military retirees. Eventually they usually wake up and smell the coffee. Heck, the governement still p1sses away enough money every single day to more than pay for taking care of the healthcare needs of military retirees for the next 50 years.

olevetonahill
1/20/2006, 12:46 AM
Sorry if I come across heartless, but my experience is with retired E-8's who talk about how their retirement checks are paying their mortgage while their salary at work is just free money. I don't think that they'll be too strapped for cash when it comes to upping insurance premiums. In fact, I have a hard time imagining any retired E-7's or E-8's being too upset about this.

Of course, I do feel sorry for anyone that was handicapped from their service and will have a hard time meeting the new fees. I really don't know what to say, but I hope charities and churches will help these people out.

Penguin
I respectfully say F--k you! Im a 100% total an permanent disabled vet (from the nam ) Ive been dealing with this "**** " as you say for 36 yrs
" but i hope charities and churches help these people out "
Me to. We only fought and died so you can have that opinion
so again i respectfully say F--k you
Now STFU howard

Sooner in Tampa
1/20/2006, 06:21 AM
Heres the deal...when I joined the Marine Corps some twenty yrs ago, I was promised that one of the biggest benefits of serving your country would be free medical coverage for life.
When it came time to retire I was told that I would have to pay a fee for my medical coverage...I don't have a problem paying a fee, it is a very reasonable fee and I was not that worked up about. But to triple my coverage is just plain wrong. I don't mind some sort of an increase. I am not bitching about a broken promise.

As far as E-7's and E-8's getting a retirement check to pay the mortgage and everything else is free money...well that is plain unadulterated BULL$H!T! There is no such thing as free money first of all. And second of all, we did our 20 years...we spent countless months away from our families and we went to some very unpleasant places. Just about any young man or woman could do the same thing...if they had the intestinal fortitude. If you are a retired enlisted man or woman...you are going to have to work to take care of your family...a military retirement will not support you.

I am truly blessed to have done 20 yrs, receive a check every month, and am in great health. But there are far more men and women who are not in as good of health as I am. They have situations that they need to be taken care, they may not be heathly enough to work a regular full time job...we need to ensure that they are taken care!!!!! Don't screw these people after they have given up their health for our country.

olevetonahill...thanks for your service.

SEMPER FI

Penguin
1/20/2006, 07:26 AM
I guess I'm just a heartless, godless, flag-burning, vet-hating, bleeding-heart bastard. This thread is exactly why we are discouraged from expressing our opinions on this forum.

I never said that vets didn't deserve the benefits they receive.

Penguin
1/20/2006, 07:35 AM
Penguin
I respectfully say F--k you! Im a 100% total an permanent disabled vet (from the nam ) Ive been dealing with this "**** " as you say for 36 yrs
" but i hope charities and churches help these people out "
Me to. We only fought and died so you can have that opinion
so again i respectfully say F--k you
Now STFU howard

All Americans appreciate and thank you for your service to this great country.

The "****" I was refering to was only the hike in fees.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to any vet. Clearly, I didn't understand how emotionally-charged this subject is.

I'll go away and mind my own business.

Sooner in Tampa
1/20/2006, 07:35 AM
I guess I'm just a heartless, godless, flag-burning, vet-hating, bleeding-heart bastard. This thread is exactly why we are discouraged from expressing our opinions on this forum.

I never said that vets didn't deserve the benefits they receive.Come on dude...the whole "I won't shed a tear for them" comment was pretty bad.

Sooner in Tampa
1/20/2006, 07:38 AM
All Americans appreciate and thank you for your service to this great country.

The "****" I was refering to was only the hike in fees.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to any vet. Clearly, I didn't understand how emotionally-charged this subject is.

I'll go away and mind my own business.Yeah, but I think that you are now getting an idea. I personally think that it is better to get involved in these threads...that is how you learn.

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 07:41 AM
yeah the medical benefits is the one i am really watchful over.....they can take away my px and commisary card, they can take away all the other little pointless bennies.......but dont **** with the medical benefits

i get a small disability check from the VA every month.....if i tried to get insurance to cover those pre-existing conditions it would be wayyyyyy over the triple that this bill is talking about

Sooner in Tampa
1/20/2006, 07:56 AM
yeah the medical benefits is the one i am really watchful over.....they can take away my px and commisary card, they can take away all the other little pointless bennies.......but dont **** with the medical benefits

i get a small disability check from the VA every month.....if i tried to get insurance to cover those pre-existing conditions it would be wayyyyyy over the triple that this bill is talking aboutI agree about the px thing...the commisary is all right, but the medical thing is by far the most important. I don't ever shop in the px anymore...there are just too many other places that have a better selection and very competitive prices.

Penguin
1/20/2006, 08:00 AM
Come on dude...the whole "I won't shed a tear for them" comment was pretty bad.

Yeah, I guess I went a tad bit overboard with that comment. :les:

william_brasky
1/20/2006, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I guess I went a tad bit overboard with that comment. :les:

Overboard?

That sure was a zany 80's comedy film.

http://www.movieactors.com/photos-2003/hawn-overboard.jpg