PDA

View Full Version : State Farm just called

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 11:32 AM
Apparently the Trucker's insurance turned in a bigger bill than I have coverage for. They are going to try to settle with them, but my agent just wanted to "keep me informed" on what is going on.

The bill includes the clean up and replacement of 270 gallons of diesel, along with body repair work on the semi. I hit it just under the driver's side door, busting the diesel tank. Also, it was a new truck - a 2005 Volvo semi. YIKES.

My step-dad set up my insurance for me when I was 16, and I've never changed any of it. I thought I was covered for anything! Who knew I'd decide to run over a semi and not have enough coverage. Guess after all this I should make some changes and increase my coverage amounts.

I just hope they can settle. If not, I guess I'll be paying for a REALLY long time. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 11:39 AM
Apparently the Trucker's insurance turned in a bigger bill than I have coverage for. They are going to try to settle with them, but my agent just wanted to "keep me informed" on what is going on.

The bill includes the clean up and replacement of 270 gallons of diesel, along with body repair work on the semi. I hit it just under the driver's side door, busting the diesel tank. Also, it was a new truck - a 2005 Volvo semi. YIKES.

My step-dad set up my insurance for me when I was 16, and I've never changed any of it. I thought I was covered for anything! Who knew I'd decide to run over a semi and not have enough coverage. Guess after all this I should make some changes and increase my coverage amounts.

I just hope they can settle. If not, I guess I'll be paying for a REALLY long time. :eek: :eek: :eek:

uh huh. Just a bit of friendly advice, you should prolly formally inform your carrier in a letter you want them to settle within your policy limits if possible.
More importantly, it would be wise to consult a lawyer who does insurance stuff right now. Seriously. If they come after you, you'll end up needing a lawyer anyway, and its waaay better to have the guy onboard from the beginning -- which is now.

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2006, 11:41 AM
DDs at 70mph can do quite a bit of damage to an 18 wheeler. ;)

It wasn't hauling holsteins was it?

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 11:42 AM
DDs at 70mph can do quite a bit of damage to an 18 wheeler. ;)

It wasn't hauling holsteins was it?

shuddup, carpet ****er :D

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2006, 11:43 AM
That would suck to have to pay for this out of your pocket when you're saving up for a weding and to build a house.

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 11:44 AM
That would suck to have to pay for this out of your pocket when you're saving up for a weding and to build a house.

It would suck in any circumstance, but especially right now.

Sooner04
1/19/2006, 11:44 AM
On top of walking to Mecca.

Oldnslo
1/19/2006, 11:47 AM
uh huh. Just a bit of friendly advice, you should prolly formally inform your carrier in a letter you want them to settle within your policy limits if possible.
More importantly, it would be wise to consult a lawyer who does insurance stuff right now. Seriously. If they come after you, you'll end up needing a lawyer anyway, and its waaay better to have the guy onboard from the beginning -- which is now.
State Farm would still have a duty to defend, even if they pay policy limits.

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2006, 11:49 AM
look at Homey, one semester under his belt and he's out chasing wrecks and ambulances ;)

I keed, I keed.

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 11:49 AM
State Farm would still have a duty to defend, even if they pay policy limits.

my agent told me she was going to try to settle w/in the policy limits, hopefully that will be the case

I've been with them since 1996 and have never filed a claim. If that makes any difference at all, I dunno.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/19/2006, 11:51 AM
Well, just keep your positive outlook on life and you'll be just fine.

TopDaugIn2000

Daniel and Conway? HEH

Oldnslo
my agent told me she was going to try to settle w/in the policy limits, hopefully that will be the case

I've been with them since 1996 and have never filed a claim. If that makes any difference at all, I dunno.
The truck driver will almost certainly have comp/collison on the new truck, so what you're actually worried about is the trucker's insurance carrier. That's the bad news. The good news is that you've got minimal assets, 'cause you're just starting out. The long and short of it is that the other carrier MAY choose not to pursue you. OTOH, if you've got a job...

Feel free to call or PM.

critical_phil
1/19/2006, 11:53 AM

it makes no difference.

being at fault when hitting a semi truck is hard to account for when shopping your personal auto insurance (my insurance co. doesn't offer more than 100k in property damage).

this is another opportunity (not picking on you TD2K) for me to rant about shopping your insurance and knowing what you have/need BEFORE something happens - which is why they call it insurance.....

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 11:53 AM
look at Homey, one semester under his belt and he's out chasing wrecks and ambulances ;)

I keed, I keed.

Nope, not at all, but I have learned enough so far to know better than to take a knife to a gunfight. I'd get me an insurance gunfighter, like Oldnslo.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/19/2006, 11:55 AM
We need to hire a PI to tail that driver and his agent to get some dirt. Let's blackmail them into settling for only one dollar.

If he shows up to court wearing a neck brace, we'll have Mr. Brady throw his briefcase and make him turn his head.

With me as project manager, this problem is as good as solved.

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 11:59 AM
We need to hire a PI to tail that driver and his agent to get some dirt. Let's blackmail them into settling for only one dollar.

If he shows up to court wearing a neck brace, we'll have Mr. Brady throw his briefcase and make him turn his head.

With me as project manager, this problem is as good as solved.

sounds like a plan

Viking Kitten
1/19/2006, 12:01 PM
The good news is that you've got minimal assets...

I wouldn't call double D's minimal.

(and you should probably call Oldnslo, TD.)

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 12:05 PM

(and you should probably call Oldnslo, TD.)

THANK YOU!

(Just sent him a PEEEEEEM)

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 12:11 PM

Since she's engaged doesn't that make them joint property?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/19/2006, 12:14 PM
The diesel alone is worth about $800.00

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2006, 12:17 PM
some of you in this thread are lucky that TD2K is not jkm. one mod is going crazy on the FB board for much less than the personal attacks that are flying in here.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 12:19 PM
The diesel alone is worth about $800.00

I wonder how much they'll bill for the hazmat clean-up on 270 gallons of spilled diesel fuel?:eek:

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 12:25 PM
I wonder how much they'll bill for the hazmat clean-up on 270 gallons of spilled diesel fuel?:eek:
my boss guessed about 10K, but I don't know an actual #

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 12:30 PM
my boss guessed about 10K, but I don't know an actual #

Well, if you've called Oldnslo, you're a smart chickie and you'll be in far better hands than you would be on your own -- insurance cases are one of his forte's.

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 12:31 PM
Well, if you've called Oldnslo, you're a smart chickie and you'll be in far better hands than you would be on your own -- insurance cases are one of his forte's.

we've made contact and he's willing to help if needed. I feel much better knowing that.

Phil
1/19/2006, 02:02 PM
I feel left out.

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 02:07 PM
I feel left out.

jump in any time!

Pricetag
1/19/2006, 02:08 PM
Meanwhile, the SOB who lost the retread is living his life as if nothing even happened, right? That ****es me right off.

TopDaugIn2000
1/19/2006, 02:09 PM
Meanwhile, the SOB who lost the retread is living his life as if nothing even happened, right? That ****es me right off.

yeah, exactly. None of the witnesses could identify the truck. If he knew it happened, he didn't care enough to stop.....

Fugue
1/19/2006, 02:12 PM
jump in any time!

if by "jumping in" you mean paying his retainer, he just might. :texan:

sanantoniosooner
1/19/2006, 02:12 PM
Well, just keep your positive outlook on life and you'll be just fine.
Just get a leg up.......Soon you'll be bound'n.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 02:15 PM
I feel left out.

Oldnslo's endorsement is not intended as a representation that legal services provided by his firm are superior to comparable services available from other licensed attorneys practicing in this jurisdiction. So there.;)

Oldnslo
1/19/2006, 03:00 PM
Does this mean the DD's are in my hands? 'cause I think I'd have noticed that.

Jimminy Crimson
1/19/2006, 05:23 PM

TD should have just thrown her cigarette out the window. What diesel cleanup? :texan:

Stanley1
1/19/2006, 05:26 PM
TD should have just thrown her cigarette out the window and stayed in her car.

Thats a little harsh don't ya think? ;)

soonerbrat
1/19/2006, 05:28 PM

part of the insurance company's job is to provide a defense lawyer.

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 05:30 PM
part of the insurance company's job is to provide a defense lawyer.

Yeah, the insurance company's defense lawyer.

MiccoMacey
1/19/2006, 05:33 PM
I Phil left out.

Much better. :D

Tear Down This Wall
1/19/2006, 06:08 PM
People, never buy minimum limits of auto insurance. You never, never, never know what might happen. Also, get Uninsured/Underinsured motorist. If an uninsured/underinsured person hits you, you're basically screwed.

Do whatever it takes...cut back on beer...quit buying roses for your wife and girlfriends...ration the pet food...up the ante for allowance chores for your kids...whatever. Do it, man!

StoopTroup
1/19/2006, 06:11 PM
I'd sue the tank maker if the tank can't contain the fuel in a collision.

That's just not your fault they made an inferior product and hung it on the side of the truck.

What if that fuel had ignited and burned all of you to death...what then? ;)

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 07:27 PM
I'd sue the tank maker if the tank can't contain the fuel in a collision.

That's just not your fault they made an inferior product and hung it on the side of the truck.

What if that fuel had ignited and burned all of you to death...what then? ;)

So you want her to sue Volvo? In Sweden? D00d, there ain't enough lawyers in Oklahoma to get that done in our lifetime.:D

Jerk
1/19/2006, 08:12 PM
okay, wait a minute...I am very confused...

Is this a different accident than the one where you got hit by a blown-out semi tire?

You got into another accident with a semi???

What happened?

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 08:30 PM
okay, wait a minute...I am very confused...

Is this a different accident than the one where you got hit by a blown-out semi tire?

You got into another accident with a semi???

What happened?

Same accident Jerk, but remember, she wasn't able to tag the guy who threw the tire she says caused the wreck. She's saying the damage to the truck she hit (not the guy who threw a tire cap) exceeds her policy limits, and now his insurance company may be looking to her to open her wallet and pay the difference which could be substantial.

Jerk
1/19/2006, 09:24 PM
oh....okay..

man, what a bum deal.

It could have been alot worse, though.

Oldnslo
1/19/2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah, the insurance company's defense lawyer.
The company pays, but the attorney's duty is to the insured.

Listen, in pretty much every case, there comes a time when the interests of the insured aren't in line with the carrier's interests. The carrier knows I take the side of the insured. Been doing it 16 years now. Normally, when everything works right, everybody's rights are protected and the system works.

That being said, if you'll look at your home and auto policy, they'll say that the decision to settle or for how much is all up to the carrier. 'Snot necessarily so in some other kinds of policies, but that's the way it is for personal lines.

BoogercountySooner
1/19/2006, 09:40 PM

Now thats a wide foot!:)

Al Gore
1/19/2006, 10:09 PM
I wonder how much they'll bill for the hazmat clean-up on 270 gallons of spilled diesel fuel?:eek:That's what I was wondering???

Shamrock
1/19/2006, 11:03 PM
Down time for the truck is going to be a steep bill too.

afs
1/20/2006, 12:22 AM
do you know the manufactuer of the blown out tire you hit? perhaps you could sue them. i just got a great lawyer's phone # off the tele.

Okla-homey
1/20/2006, 06:22 AM
do you know the manufactuer of the blown out tire you hit? perhaps you could sue them. i just got a great lawyer's phone # off the tele.

You are not being helpful. You are just being drunk. Now go to sleep.:D

TopDaugIn2000
1/20/2006, 09:30 AM
heh