PDA

View Full Version : quiz time

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:33 AM
we only have 1 offensive recruit left out of our 2003 recruiting class (11 total). name him

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:35 AM
we only have 1 offensive recruit left out of our 2002 recruiting class (11 total) that is still playing his recruited position. name him

KingDavid
1/19/2006, 01:36 AM
Finley? for 2003

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:36 AM
of our WR recruits from 2002-2004, we only have 1 player left (7 total one other was recruited as an athlete). name him

Blue
1/19/2006, 01:37 AM
Gute?....for 03?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:38 AM
Finley? for 2003

finley was recruited as an athlete. he wanted a shot at QB, but they weren't sure if he would be a TE/DE. he would be another player left at TE if you counted him a TE from the git go.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:39 AM
Gute?....for 03?

yep

Blue
1/19/2006, 01:41 AM
That's scary.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:42 AM
since 2002, we've recruited 29 players for our defensive front. how many have we lost to attrition.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:43 AM
in the same time frame, we've recruited 15 defensive backs. how many have we lost to attrition (this one might surprise you).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:45 AM
since 2000, we've recruited 19 backs (QBs, RBs, FBs). are we over or under 50% attrition

Blue
1/19/2006, 01:46 AM
of our WR recruits from 2002-2004, we only have 1 player left (7 total one other was recruited as an athlete). name him

Chaney? Maybe Holmes...?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:49 AM
during the stoops era, we have recruited the following...

OT - 17
OG - 8
OC - 4

which has the highest percentage of attrition?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:49 AM
Chaney? Maybe Holmes...?

chaney. holmes was recruited as an athlete but didn't want to switch to defensive back.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:53 AM
we only have 1 offensive recruit left out of our 2002 recruiting class (11 total) that is still playing his recruited position. name him

chris messner

runnells, wilson, rankins exhausted eligibility at their positions

thompson moved to WR

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:55 AM
since 2002, we've recruited 29 players for our defensive front. how many have we lost to attrition.

3 - moe, patterson (DNQ), chambers (medical)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:57 AM
in the same time frame, we've recruited 15 defensive backs. how many have we lost to attrition (this one might surprise you).

3 - hawkins, miller, cade

strange note - jason carter and darien williams are the only two left on campus that practiced under mike stoops

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:57 AM
since 2000, we've recruited 19 backs (QBs, RBs, FBs). are we over or under 50% attrition

over

10 lost, 9 retained

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 01:58 AM
during the stoops era, we have recruited the following...

OT - 17
OG - 8
OC - 4

which has the highest percentage of attrition?

OT lost 9 out of 17
OG lost 4 of 8
OC lost 1 of 4

Newbomb Turk
1/19/2006, 08:05 AM
Man - you're really good at answering these questions. ;)

okienole3
1/19/2006, 08:46 AM
Is there any way of knowing the avg. rate of attrition for D-IA schools? Also, what about attrition for OU over a period of time before Stoops.

MojoRisen
1/19/2006, 08:48 AM
How does our attrition stack up against Saxet - less being better? Maybe we should take those guys to the water park, like Nuehiesal.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/19/2006, 08:51 AM
The Reason Texas does not lose as many is because OU recruits alot of JUCO's. Texas does not have any JUCO players so they keep their guys 4 or 5 years where as alot of OU's players show up with only 2 years of eligibility. Looking at statistics....Juco recruting is good for instant success but not so good for building long term success.
your pretty much taking guys that have been under some other coach for 2 years of their collegiate career, so you really dont know what kind of bad habits etc. he has developed. I'd rather have guys in my program for 4 years before some bozo at Blinn Junior College or somewhere corrupts him.

Harry Beanbag
1/19/2006, 09:28 AM
The Reason Texas does not lose as many is because OU recruits alot of JUCO's. Texas does not have any JUCO players so they keep their guys 4 or 5 years where as alot of OU's players show up with only 2 years of eligibility. Looking at statistics....Juco recruting is good for instant success but not so good for building long term success.
your pretty much taking guys that have been under some other coach for 2 years of their collegiate career, so you really dont know what kind of bad habits etc. he has developed. I'd rather have guys in my program for 4 years before some bozo at Blinn Junior College or somewhere corrupts him.

I think you have it backwards. We recruit a few JUCOs (I wouldn't say a lot) to fill holes left by attrition and player busts.

Desert Sapper
1/19/2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, K-State is JUCO U. We have been using a few JUCOs to plug immediate needs in the hopes that some of the younger players can develop. It's had mixed success. Heupel was a JUCO, but so was Chijoke.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/19/2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah it has it's ups and downs..I just don't put too much faith in JUCO guys because I know they are short-timers. You can't add them into the big picture becuase they won't be around. On the flip side, if your guys is too good then he will leave early for the NFL too...

MojoRisen
1/19/2006, 10:16 AM
Hey, If they can immeidately start on a top tier team, why not recruit them.

Nobody complained about Heupel , Pasha Jackson & lance Mitchell. Alan Patrick is a 3 year transfer right? anyway if it is to fill holes nothing wrong with that... especially if the frosh and sophs aren't ready... and busts JR/Sr's just aren't good enough.

Desert Sapper
1/19/2006, 10:21 AM
It sho' nuff has some advantages to go with the disadvantages.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/scz6fnkj.jpg

JohnnyMack
1/19/2006, 10:32 AM
I wish people would be man enough to come out and say what they think around here sometimes.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 10:49 AM
I wish people would be man enough to come out and say what they think around here sometimes.

nope, we are back to post the facts, conclude from them what you will...

GDC
1/19/2006, 10:52 AM

And the UT sugar daddies give them lots of plasma TV's, Escalades, and baseball contracts.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/19/2006, 10:54 AM
And the UT sugar daddies give them lots of plasma TV's, Escalades, and baseball contracts.

You know they do. I was broke as hell when I was in college, but I see guys riding around nowadays in expensive *** cars etc.
As I recall, you couldnt even have a JOB if you were on scholarship, so it's no secret where its all coming from. The Geezers on the Booster Club.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 12:40 PM

what in the world do jucos have to do with the statistics that i posted? graduation isn't considered "attrition"

CobraKai
1/19/2006, 12:45 PM

My cousin played baseball at Texas from 1990-1994. He has some interesting stories along these lines (not just about Texas).

RooseveltRoughRider
1/19/2006, 12:45 PM
ohhhh...OK, I guess you are referring to transfers then? If that's the case, then most top prgrams have issues with that.

RooseveltRoughRider
1/19/2006, 12:57 PM
After doing a little research on it...

I have come to the conclusion that attrition is not so bad. The NCAA allows each team to have 85 Scholarship players on a team. People are limited to 25 per recruiting class, UNLESS the have some attrition from prior classes. Schools are also allowed to do schalrships on a year to year basis. Meaning, if they bust the 85 limit, then they can snatch a scholarship from an old unproductive player and give it to a Freshman.

Basically it helps weed out the duds. If they recruit 25 and only 15 are good players, isn't it better for them to move on so they can spend money on better talent? Just my opinion. I can think of several Parade All Amercians etc. that never played a down of 1A football, and wasted space for 2-3 years and ended up transferring to a 1-AA school.