PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate City?

Jerk
1/18/2006, 08:46 PM
OKAY, GOD, MAKE UP YOUR MIND. DID YOU DESTROY THE CITY BECAUSE OF TEH GAZA WITHDRAWAL, OR BECAUSE OF THE WAR IN IRAQ?

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - The mayor of New Orleans apologized on Tuesday for saying the hurricane-ravaged city would be rebuilt as a "chocolate" city and for blaming the storm on the wrath of God over U.S. involvement in Iraq.

The "chocolate" remark, which Mayor Ray Nagin made in a speech on Monday, struck a nerve, as racial tensions and concerns loom over proposed plans to rebuild New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina.

Several of the hardest-hit neighborhoods were mostly black, and many residents have expressed fears that those areas will not be rebuilt while those with more white residents may be. Before the August 29 storm, New Orleans was about 70 percent black.

"If I offended anyone, I sincerely apologize," the mayor, who is black, said on Tuesday. "I need to be more sensitive and more aware of what I'm saying.

"I want everybody to be welcome in New Orleans -- black, white, Hispanic, Asian -- because that's the kind of city that we deserve going forward," he said. "I was trying to, and didn't do it very well, to deal with this whole notion, the undercurrent what's being talked about, and what's being talked about is who is going to come back to New Orleans at the end of the day."

In his speech on Monday, marking the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, Nagin said: "This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be. .... This city will be chocolate at the end of the day."

Other black leaders in New Orleans said they were taken aback by Nagin's remarks.

"Everybody's jaws are dropping right now," City Councilman Oliver Thomas told The Times-Picayune newspaper. "Even if you believe some of that crazy stuff, that is not the type of image we need to present to the nation."

In his speech, Nagin also said a wrathful God sent the hurricanes.

"Surely God is mad at America," he said. "Surely he's not approving of us being in Iraq under false pretense. But surely he's upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

In his apology, Nagin said: "I said some things that were totally inappropriate. I shouldn't have made any references to God as it relates to this city. In the moment I got caught up, and it shouldn't have happened."

Nagin also said he has made the "chocolate" reference several times before, including before Congress.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060118/pl_nm/hurricanes_mayor_dc_1

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/18/2006, 10:22 PM
So it is agreed he's an out-of-control idiot. At least he owned up to that, which makes him a step above most of the dims.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 05:48 AM
People deserve the leaders they elect and allow to remain in power.
The guy can say whatever he wants, but there are an awful lot of former lower Ninth ward people who I don't think will ever go back there to live because they finally GTF out of a crappy situation. More than anything else, I think that's what's killing him. The electorate which put him in office no longer exists.:eek:

TUSooner
1/19/2006, 10:11 AM
People deserve the leaders they elect and allow to remain in power.
The guy can say whatever he wants, but there are an awful lot of former lower Ninth ward people who I don't think will ever go back there to live because they finally GTF out of a crappy situation. More than anything else, I think that's what's killing him. The electorate which put him in office no longer exists.:eek:
Actually, Homey, Nagin was boosted to victory by very much WHITE support, not really the support opf the folks who got wiped out in the east. As I have said, before Katrina I would have rated him the best mayor NO has has in the 28+ years I have lived here. Now, well, it's just sad to see a guy lose his grip in front of the whole country.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 11:11 AM
Actually, Homey, Nagin was boosted to victory by very much WHITE support, not really the support opf the folks who got wiped out in the east. As I have said, before Katrina I would have rated him the best mayor NO has has in the 28+ years I have lived here. Now, well, it's just sad to see a guy lose his grip in front of the whole country.

I'm sure you are correct because you lived it. That said, i doubt he'll get that same level support in his re-election bid.;)

n8v_ndn
1/19/2006, 11:33 AM
I'm sure you are correct because you lived it. That said, i doubt he'll get that same level support in his re-election bid.;)

Especially when Willy Wonka's political machine steals the Chocolate theme and he out-crazy's Nagin to a landslide victory, courtesy of the mostly white folk. :mack:

TUSooner
1/19/2006, 02:35 PM

Sadly - because as it shows that voters still vote their skin color - I doubt New Orleans would elect even the most outstanding & talented white candidate for some time. Fortunately, there should be at least one sensible black alternative to C Ray.

Okla-homey
1/19/2006, 02:42 PM
Sadly - because as it shows that voters still vote their skin color - I doubt New Orleans would elect even the most outstanding & talented white candidate for some time. Fortunately, there should be at least one sensible black alternative to C Ray.

I just hope for your sake they don't elect one of those crazy ladies who testified at the House hearings (I watched on C-SPAN) who insisted the levees were intentionally blown by explosives.:eek: