PDA

View Full Version : You go, Dan Cody!

LifelongSooner
1/18/2006, 08:35 PM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=7884

Texas Golfer
1/18/2006, 09:16 PM
I'm betting the Ravens want Dan in the lineup even more than we do.

CatfishSooner
1/18/2006, 09:23 PM
I love Dan Cody.....yup.

FlatheadSooner
1/18/2006, 09:27 PM
Not to rain on this parade, but wanted to ask a burning question related to Dan and the 2004 team.

Somewhere I heard there was rumor that "some" players in the '04 NC game physically, and verbally, gave up during the course of game. Then, somewhere else I heard that someone on the SUC team heard Dan Cody say something like "hurry up and get this game over with, will you?".

Don't know if there's a shred of truth to this and so long ago, i.e. dark times, I didn't take the time to look into the matter.

Previously, I was a huge Dan Cody fan and I just couldn't believe that, with his tremendous determination, that he could be guilty of such behaviour.

Discuss...........

Texas Golfer
1/18/2006, 09:37 PM
Not to rain on this parade, but wanted to ask a burning question related to Dan and the 2004 team.

Somewhere I heard there was rumor that "some" players in the '04 NC game physically, and verbally, gave up during the course of game. Then, somewhere else I heard that someone on the SUC team heard Dan Cody say something like "hurry up and get this game over with, will you?".

Don't know if there's a shred of truth to this and so long ago, i.e. dark times, I didn't take the time to look into the matter.

Previously, I was a huge Dan Cody fan and I just couldn't believe that, with his tremendous determination, that he could be guilty of such behaviour.

Discuss...........

Let's not discuss. That was over a year ago. Dan Cody served us well and I look forward to watching him play in the NFL and I wish him nothing but the best.

TXBOOMER
1/18/2006, 10:17 PM
Dan was one of my favorites. I'm not gonna hold anything he may have said in the OB against him. I was ready for that ace kicking to end myself. Good luck to him.

FlatheadSooner
1/18/2006, 10:28 PM
Let's not discuss. That was over a year ago. Dan Cody served us well and I look forward to watching him play in the NFL and I wish him nothing but the best.

OK............."those that should not be named". Is that better?

I'm not condemning Dan, in fact, I admire his overcoming his depression and excelling in his craft.

Hey, it's the offseason, we're bored, time for contemplation, etc., etc...

:rolleyes:

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/18/2006, 10:34 PM

Discuss...........
Had you actually watched the game, you wouldn't imply that Cody gave up.

sanantoniosooner
1/18/2006, 10:38 PM
I watched the game...............and heard the same rumor.

no need to go there though.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2006, 10:39 PM
i think in the heat of that kind of battle, things are said in complete jest.....nothing like a little on field humor to lighten the sting of such a loss

i dont think they quit but i also think they wanted it over sooner rather than later

sorta like a cop making a joke in bad taste at an ugly crime scene.......those working it understand it, the outsiders dont get it

FlatheadSooner
1/18/2006, 10:47 PM

Yeah, down to the everlasting last second.

Not the post-game though.

:(

OU-HSV
1/18/2006, 11:19 PM
D.C.=the Sh*t.

And no DC Sooner I'm not talking about you!:D

GottaHavePride
1/19/2006, 12:51 AM
The whole story was that yeah, after nearly sacking Matt Leinart he made a crack to him about "can we just hurry up and get this over with?" I don't think it was an indication of him giving up; it was an indication that he knew the rest of the team was gassed and there was no way we were coming back at that point so we might as well get out of there without injuring anyone. Dan never slowed down, though.

yermom
1/19/2006, 02:36 AM
i remember seeing him saying something on the sideline to the fact that he was ready to get on the redeye home, seems like it was sometime in the 3rd quarter

that game was over. everyone knew it :(

this is the same guy that passed out pumping up his teammates and was back in the game in the same series earlier in the season.

he was a stud for us, i hope he kicks *** next year

caphorns
1/19/2006, 11:14 AM
Dan is an exceptional player and one of the few who showed up ready to kick some *** that day. I personally think this one lapse of justment - one time - should be overlooked. The kid has amazingly good character, heart and drive. Its an aberration and stupid that people still remember this so well. Its a nonissue. If he had played like crap, then I guess I could see why people would be upset. He didn't.

I am guessing however that this criticism has just added more fuel to his fire. Good for Dan. Can't wait to see him show his stuff in the NFL.

The Consumate Showman
1/19/2006, 11:45 AM

Discuss...........

If you for a moment believe this total BS, you are in fact siding with the fact that it was actually said. And the ONLY SUC player that said it happened is Matty Whineart. I'm sorry, but I have more of a tendency to believe one of our own than a SUC punk a$$ b!tch like Whineart.

DC is a MONSTER on the field and reminds me of a future HOF LB from the chiefs and tide: Derrick Thomas.

I think Whineart was just wanting to rub salt in our wounds, especially Dan's because if you remember, Dan was the only Sooner to sack him that night, other than that and the safety Matty got, his night was flawless. I think he was trying to rub it in our faces and you could tell that Dan was ready to go BIZERK when Deano and the other Oklahoma guys asked him about it in an interview after Matty-boy said it on that radio station. :)

The Consumate Showman
1/19/2006, 11:50 AM
I liked it in the interview when they called Dan an Oklahoma farm hand. heh. I'm from the area where Dan was raised and watched him play, not a farm hand...

but local lore is that one night after a game where Shockey was benched and Dan was put in at TE, Shockey got pist off and went crazy on the sidelines cussing and screming about Dan being an underclassmen and not deserving it and all that BS. Well, if you know anything about Shockey in HS, he really wasn't that big and Dan, well, he WAS. After the game, Dan supposedly tracked down Shockey in town and beat the living sh!t out of him! Just thought that was an interesting story....

The Consumate Showman
1/19/2006, 02:43 PM
I'm betting the Ravens want Dan in the lineup even more than we do.

;) :D

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/19/2006, 03:54 PM
does anyone know what happens in regards to compensation when an nfl player gets hurt all year? do they get their whole salary that year? or is there usually some kind of "injury clause" that says you get say, 1/2 your salary if you don't play all year due to an injury? i always wondered about that.

TUSooner
1/19/2006, 04:40 PM
i think in the heat of that kind of battle, things are said in complete jest.....nothing like a little on field humor to lighten the sting of such a loss

i dont think they quit but i also think they wanted it over sooner rather than later

sorta like a cop making a joke in bad taste at an ugly crime scene.......those working it understand it, the outsiders dont get it
I think this is exactly on the money. I wouldn't think any less of Dan if he said something like that under the circumstances. Plus, whatever he may have said, he still kept playing like the game was on the line. Dan's all good; get over it. :D

NormanPride
1/19/2006, 04:53 PM
I thought Dan got interviewed about that, actually... If memory serves, he didn't deny it, but said that things on the field should stay on the field. This goes more in line with the idea that Leinart is a complete ***. Not only does he whine all the time, but he then rubs something like that in Dan's face when common etiquette dictates that he should stfu. I bet even his own team was ashamed of him.

Big Red Ron
1/19/2006, 04:54 PM
Let's not forget that Dan Cody was one of the true Freshman on the field when our defense shout out the last, "Best offense in the history of college football," in the 2000 Orange Bowl.

FlatheadSooner
1/19/2006, 05:30 PM
I thought Dan got interviewed about that, actually... If memory serves, he didn't deny it, but said that things on the field should stay on the field. This goes more in line with the idea that Leinart is a complete ***. Not only does he whine all the time, but he then rubs something like that in Dan's face when common etiquette dictates that he should stfu. I bet even his own team was ashamed of him.

Right on. Thanks for enlightening me.

Didn't mean to stoke a fire here.

Still a huge fan of DC.
:)

Big Red Ron
1/19/2006, 05:36 PM
Also, Dan's comments were made after Leinhart was throwing another long pass (thus stopping the clock) with a huge lead. It's called class SC. Winning with class does not include throwing bombs with a 30+ lead.

NormanPride
1/19/2006, 06:23 PM
Right on. Thanks for enlightening me.

Didn't mean to stoke a fire here.

Still a huge fan of DC.
:)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not subtly jabbing at anyone. I just wanted to throw another piece of info out there I didn't even know people were getting heated about this. It HAS been over a year, guys. ;)

FlatheadSooner
1/19/2006, 07:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not subtly jabbing at anyone. I just wanted to throw another piece of info out there I didn't even know people were getting heated about this. It HAS been over a year, guys. ;)

No jabs here either. There were many replies with good points of view and explanations. I just picked yours to give a sincere thanks to all who added to the information. :)

I also collected some neg speks along the way for my bringing up this issue. Sorry ya'll if I offended.

tbl
1/19/2006, 08:17 PM
i remember seeing him saying something on the sideline to the fact that he was ready to get on the redeye home, seems like it was sometime in the 3rd quarter

I remember that exact line, but it was in the 4th quarter... late in the 4th quarter. I know that for a fact b/c I started driving back to my house somewhere mid 3rd and didn't get home until there were just a couple of minutes left.

Why are we dredging this up? Can we not just be pumped about seeing an awesome Sooner work his butt off to succeed in the NFL? I hope he tears people up next year. I've already decided to put him on my draft list for fantasy football.

shavedmarmoset
1/19/2006, 08:36 PM
The one Cody moment that sticks in my mind is in the A&M game in '04. The defense was getting tired then Dan gave a fiery speech to get the defense back on track and right after the speech he fainted from the adrenaline.

Next thing I know, he gets out on the field and sacks Reggie McNeal. What a great way to step up your game!

MiccoMacey
1/19/2006, 08:40 PM
Dan Cody once gave me a kidney, God bless him.

MojoRisen
1/19/2006, 08:53 PM
The one Cody moment that sticks in my mind is in the A&M game in '04. The defense was getting tired then Dan gave a fiery speech to get the defense back on track and right after the speech he fainted from the adrenaline.

Next thing I know, he gets out on the field and sacks Reggie McNeal. What a great way to step up your game!

Yep, he fainted on National TV, people started saying he was on anti depressants and shiaaat like that - then he got back in the game and stuffed em - looked like a little league play- meaning he dominated and crushed people and goal line at that.

This is clearly why I love Dan Cody - and why he is a role model for Oklahoma football! BOOOOOMER SOOOOOOOONER

LifelongSooner
1/19/2006, 10:27 PM
Well, this is a perfect example of a thread hijacking. This was supposed to be a *safe* subject for me to check back in on. What I posted was a story about how well DC had been doing, and how hard he was working. SAFE SUBJECT.

Now, when I check back on it tonight, look what we're talking about now. THAT GAME.

In addition to our special Tuesdays, we need to set up a board where the only subject/topic/threads are about THAT GAME. That way, people who are still in mourning about THAT GAME don't have to get salt rubbed in their open, festering, painful wounds. They expect "it" to be talked about on that board, and are prepared for it. No ambush, no surprise.

Man, I'm going to have to go call my therapist, AGAIN.

MojoRisen
1/19/2006, 10:34 PM
There once was a man from Nantucket his **** was so long he could **** it. He set up a grin and whiped *** from his chin if his ear was a **** he would **** it.

SkipTracer
1/20/2006, 09:07 PM
He's usually at work before noon.
:eek:

Texas Golfer
1/21/2006, 01:58 PM
I can't believe y'all actually spent two pages talking about that sh!t.

Of all the things Dan has done for this university, y'all spend two pages talking about something he supposedly said in jest? I'd rather talk about the quality of his play during his time at OU.