PDA

View Full Version : To all OU graduates....

chriscappel
1/18/2006, 06:05 PM
I am looking to going to OU after my 4 yrs of Navy and just wondering what it was like and how difficult it is...also anyone who went through the Meteorology school would be the biggest help cause that is what i want to do...THANKS TO ALL!! BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!

GottaHavePride
1/18/2006, 06:10 PM
I'm really happy I came to OU. there's actually a huge international student population, so if you like meeting people from other cultures you're set. Very friendly atmosphere, campus is fairly compact and well-kept.

Oh, and I know a TON of former meteorology majors. From what I've heard it's tough, but not that bad if you really enjoy it. Most of the former meteorology people were people that didn't realize there was so much calculus and physics in meteorology. Plus, it's one of the best meteorology schools anywhere.

the_ouskull
1/18/2006, 09:48 PM
Hey... If you have ANY questions about OU at all, I'm still around the campus quite a bit. Just PM me and I'd be happy to try to help you out...

the_ouskull

chriscappel
1/18/2006, 09:59 PM
cool thanks!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/18/2006, 10:30 PM
A 1982 Meteorology grad here. If you are ready for more advanced math and applied physics than you have ever taken, then I would go for it. I worked 2 years at The Weather Channel after graduation, before leavng the field due to low salaries. That was 20 years ago, I have a Ph.D. in Engineering now. So I don't know what the salaries are today. I have several friends still in Meteorology, but more who have left the field. While I wouldn't trade my degree and the fun I had storm chasing, I would consider what you want to do with your degree. TV is very cut throat and few make it. As a vet, the NWS would be a good choice for you, plus you would have vet points as a hiring boost.

The OU curriculum is very difficult. Expect to work hard.

chriscappel
1/18/2006, 10:32 PM
I am not going for T.V. those guys arent real meteorologist anyways. I'm looking for either NWS or Operational weather within airports and stuff...I have some experience now with the Navy so I think i can do it!

Al Gore
1/18/2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry....I went to KU and I know some girls that don't shave their legs or underarms....

TheHumanAlphabet
1/18/2006, 10:41 PM
Best of Luck, I'm sure you can do it. I have seen many people drop out becuase they weren't prepared for the rigors of an applied physics degree, but were enthralled by the excitement of storm chasing...You don't appear to be the later.

Many people like FedEx and Utility companies hire operational meteorologists.

chriscappel
1/18/2006, 10:43 PM
Best of Luck, I'm sure you can do it. I have seen many people drop out becuase they weren't prepared for the rigors of an applied physics degree, but were enthralled by the excitement of storm chasing...You don't appear to be the later.

Many people like FedEx and Utility companies hire operational meteorologists.

hmm... i didnt know that...i will have to look into that

IronSooner
1/18/2006, 11:47 PM
Suggestions:
You can park in the Union parking garage any time of day as long as you stay till about 11pm. At that time the gates go up and you can leave for free.

Almost every Friday the Union shows almost-first-run movies for free. They also give away free food at the little restaurant on the South end of the Union at 10pm, so you can get some snacks (they just put a couple trays out for you) and then head up to the theater on the next level.

If you have the $ and get to campus around 8am, get a parking pass. If your classes start later or you're cheap like me, park in the neighborhoods just north of campus (N and NE of the campus corner area) for free and just walk the couple blocks down to campus.

Don't look at apartments within a couple blocks of the campus, most are fairly old and not in the best shape. University Commons is like the Dorms II - TONS of 19-yr-olds fill that place up, party hard Thursday-Saturday and get busted by the cops each night. Can be loud depending on your neighbors. Sterling is the same way though maybe not quite so bad. Chapel Ridge was the best apt. complex I lived at...management was great though I think some might have moved on. Definitely worth looking into.

afs
1/18/2006, 11:49 PM
I started off as a Meteorology major.

Graudated with a Bachelor of Arts in Geography.

Hope you like math.

JohnnyMack
1/18/2006, 11:55 PM
I took a meteorology course once. It was one designed for non-majors. My teacher was crazy. He fell off a table. Twice. Then I think he had a nervous breakdown I think. Straka was his name maybe?

Penguin
1/19/2006, 12:43 AM
I'm a '96 Meteorology grad here. I hope you love math. Do all of the homework assigned (even if it's only 5% of yourr final grade), it will really help you out later. Attend class regularly. I found that the meteorology professors tested you on subjects/problems that they presented in class rather than problems that were presented in the textbook. In fact, in Atmospheric Dynamics 2, I don't think I ever cracked open the textbook.

If you have a few hours to play with, take ground school (pilot school). It seems obvious to me, but nobody ever does. I mean, aviation weather is the #1 non-tv private weather job you can get. It sure helped me out. I'm an aviation meterologist and I absolutely love my job.

Looking back, I still can't believe that my meteorology professors never really talked about how certain conditions can affect aviation.

usmc-sooner
1/19/2006, 12:45 AM
it's probably harder than the Navy

just kiddin

Sooner in Tampa
1/19/2006, 06:29 AM
it's probably harder than the Navy

just kiddinNo your not. :P It probably is harder than the Navy :D

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 10:19 AM
I took a meteorology course once. It was one designed for non-majors. My teacher was crazy. He fell off a table. Twice. Then I think he had a nervous breakdown I think. Straka was his name maybe?

That sounds like Straka, all right.

GDC
1/19/2006, 10:19 AM
The graduate school is making me take the damn GRE again. I'm out $115 when my score qualified me for Mensa the first time I took it. Do they think someone can get dumber over time?:mad:

JohnnyMack
1/19/2006, 10:21 AM
That sounds like Straka, all right.

Dude didn't own a comb or know how to zip his fly either. I imagine he was one of those brilliant types who didn't care, but dude needed queer eye in the worst way.

1stTimeCaller
1/19/2006, 10:30 AM
JM was always staring at Straka's crotch!!!!!!!!!@112!!!!*

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 10:31 AM
I have some experience now with the Navy so I think i can do it!

The vast majority of your meteorology classwork is going to be theoretical, i.e. math. Lots and lots of math. Math you've never seen before, and will never want to see again. But you will see it again, over and over. A lot of people start out in the meteorology program with the wrong ideas about what they'll be doing, and they can't do the math and/or get frustrated and become geography majors by and large. NTTAWWT. Sure, you'll be drawing weather maps and looking at observations at some point, but the farther along you get the more abstract things become. Just a head's up. You should contact Celia Jones in the School of Meteorology for information about the program.

If you like weather, Norman is a great place to be. Meteorology is already a big industry here, and with the National Weather Center being built it's really going to take off. One major commerical forecasting company, WeatherNews, moved a large part of their operation here from San Francisco.

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 10:32 AM
I imagine he was one of those brilliant types who didn't care, but dude needed queer eye in the worst way.

Actually, I think he needed lithium.

fadada1
1/19/2006, 10:40 AM
fellow squid, i only hope you remember how to buff floors, clean heads, and lay diamond decking. these are all skills you will need whilst attending OU.:D

shouldn't be too tough to get in. OU let me back in after my navy stint... and i failed out the first time. i think you'll find everything is up to your expectations. the first day i was back on OU's campus after i got out, i teared up a bit. nothing better than walking around campus in the summer, with no one around, smelling the grass, looking at the stadium, and knowing your navy service is done.

you'll do great in classes - you have more maturity and time management skills than most freshmen. take everything in stride and work hard... and enjoy yourself. go out, work out, find you a nice okie girl.

PM me if you have any questions concerning veterans affairs at OU. they were always very helpful.

before you get out, have your chief check out your service/medical record. COPY THE WHOLE THING!!!!! you'll never know when you might need something out of there.

good luck.

SoonerInKCMO
1/19/2006, 11:35 AM
The graduate school is making me take the damn GRE again. I'm out $115 when my score qualified me for Mensa the first time I took it. Do they think someone can get dumber over time?:mad:

Well, I never thought you a Mensan. ;)

Seriously though, if I took the GMAT again today I'd probably score 50-100 points lower than I did back in the day ... brain done gone soft due to lack of use.

IronSooner
1/19/2006, 11:41 AM
Do they think someone can get dumber over time?:mad:

I'm pretty sure I've gotten dumber over time. Ironically that's time spent in graduate school.

GDC
1/19/2006, 12:19 PM
Well, I never thought you a Mensan. ;)

Seriously though, if I took the GMAT again today I'd probably score 50-100 points lower than I did back in the day ... brain done gone soft due to lack of use.

I didn't join, that's elitist egg-head bs.

SoonerInKCMO
1/19/2006, 01:51 PM
I didn't join, that's elitist egg-head bs.

And the chicks are ugly too. :texan: