PDA

View Full Version : Michael Hawkins

Desert Sapper
1/18/2006, 04:14 PM
I was looking at Scout, and it said that he actually played a little for OU. I thought he came in as a recruit but never played and left while still in RS. Does anybody remember his interception return for a TD?:confused:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=8075

TumbleweedDoom
1/18/2006, 04:17 PM
Yeah, it was in mop-up time against UTEP in 2002. Pretty impressive display -- took it down the west sideline, if I'm not mistaken. Sure would have like to had him on the team for a few years...

CobraKai
1/18/2006, 05:08 PM
I remember it well. That guy freaking FLEW when he caught that ball.

Desert Sapper
1/18/2006, 05:16 PM
Sure wish he could have been a Sooner All-American. Anybody know why he left?

OUster
1/18/2006, 05:24 PM
Hawkins was blue chipper out of the Dallas area, came in on the same class as Travis Wilson and Debryan Blanton and such. Wilson actually said Hawkins was the best db he ever went against. Hawkins didn't redshirt. He played in mop up behind a pretty stout backfield his freshman year and I remember some saying his potential was through the roof. If I recall correctly, his family needed money in a bad way. I think it was single mom with illness kinda' thing. He left because he had to help. I remember wishing him the best. I saw a link to his Green Bay Packers site on a previous link on Moe Dampeer. I am glad he got into the league. It is his rookie year. I know he was in arena ball in Dallas for a couple of years and apparently did well. Good for him!

Taxman71
1/18/2006, 05:37 PM
I thought Hawkins left due to grade/class attendance issues. He was the kid who had previously lived on his own and slept in the public parks in Dallas because his home life was so bad (yikes). I think he got in with a good family and stayed at OU for about a year. I don't think he left OU just for money because he could only make a little cash in the arena league before being eligible for the NFL draft two years after leaving OU.

CrimsonHelmet
1/18/2006, 06:04 PM
Hawkins and Trey DiCarlo stayed in Dallas after the Texas game. This was allowed because both are from Carrollton.

They were driving back to Norman Sunday or Monday and had car trouble. They had to go back to Carrollton and missed practice on Monday.

Missing practice under these circumstances is allowed, however, you have to notify the coaches that you will be absent (team rules).

They didn't tell the coaches until they got back to Norman.

This is not a big deal, the coaches just make you run till you puke, then run some more.

DiCarlo served his punishment, Hawkins protested. He didn't think it was fair, since the vehicle breakdown wasn't his fault.

Coaches insisted that he serve his punishment, since neither Hawkins nor DiCarlo made the necessary phone call.

Mr. Freeze
1/18/2006, 06:57 PM
To much pride on his part, hamstringed what would have been a big time carear with a big time payday at the end of it. But if he was going to quit over something that trivial, there would have been something come along after that which would have driven him to do the same. Just a character flaw I guess.

OKC-SLC
1/18/2006, 08:09 PM
Yeah, it was in mop-up time against UTEP in 2002. Pretty impressive display -- took it down the west sideline, if I'm not mistaken. Sure would have like to had him on the team for a few years...
West sideline south-north.

Collier11
1/18/2006, 09:23 PM
IT was an impressive int...hawkins walked up to the line and got facemask to facemask with the reciever for several seconds which got the crowd nuts then as the pass was thrown he jumped the route and took it to the house, it was right in front of me and my boys

Desert Sapper
1/19/2006, 08:51 AM
What a shame...just think what the OB could have been if he was on one side. With his talent and the right training, he may have been as good as or better than Derrick Strait. As it is, we haven't had a lock down cover corner since 2003. Hope Walker can return and change that this year.

KingDavid
1/19/2006, 11:08 AM
What a shame...just think what the OB could have been if he was on one side. With his talent and the right training, he may have been as good as or better than Derrick Strait. As it is, we haven't had a lock down cover corner since 2003. Hope Walker can return and change that this year.

If we can have one or two corners emerge as solid contributors from the ranks of the redshirt freshman and incoming recruites (most notably Malcolm Williams & Jonathan Nelson), I think we're going to see a quantum leap in the secondary next year. Smith, Lewis, Williams, and Carter (to some extent) all received their first meaningful exposure last year. The talent has always been there - it's just game experience/time that's been needed. With an off-season and Spring training to let that sink in, along with a solid position coach who will be in his second year in this role, this is going to be a solid, solid group - perhaps the most improved unit on the team. It's certainly not what gives me the most anxiety about next year.

The most critical determinants to our success next year are going to be on the offensive side of the football:

1) O-line - all so young (except Messner, who might have the least talent), no time together (or very little) to gel; and they will likely lose some continuity and availability of their primary coach due to his promotion.

2) Massive coaching over-haul: lost QB coach, lost WR coach & passing coordinator, lost run-game coordinator through Wilson's promotion (potentially).

Our offense was not a finished product at the end of the year; it was only just starting to take shape, firm up, and show its promise. But that was under the guidance of a staff with considerable history together who could focus more on the players because they all knew where they stood with each other.

If the Oregon game is any indication, I think they can pull it off. But that Oregon game included 4 Senior linemen who had finally come together under the careful guidance (and with the full-time, focused attention) of Wilson. Those players are gone. Even though better talent/skill/intelligence might be coming forward from the ranks, the main issue is time, experience, and familiarity.

In my opinion, if the O-line can be brought together to perform as a unit that develops/matures quickly, we have a strong chance to end up in the Fiesta Bowl. But if it doesn't and Bomar struggles early and we lose an early one to Oregon or Washington or God forbid some other team, and then lose to Texas - that would be a huge confidence/momentum killer that could leave us with a three or four loss season and another Holiday Bowl bid.

It might be that the imminent offensive coaching hire is most important remaining ingredient to this team - arguably more important than what remains to be determined from the recruiting class.

Some things we have working to our advantage: 1) if Bomar, Peterson, and probably Kelly emerge as the strong/consistent leaders they appear to be, that will help tremendously. Bomar in particular, with his past as a coach's kid (for whom I played, actually - when Rhett wasn't big enough to carry the water jug) and new exposure to Hyupel, certainly has all the makings of a tremendous "coach on the field." And 2) getting back to the defense, if they are as strong as many think they will be, the offense will have some more time/room to mature and develop.

SoonerBBall
1/19/2006, 05:38 PM
IronSooner and I still opine as to how good MH would have been. I remember watching him in the Red/White game making one or two interceptions and almost getting 3. Whenever the ball was in the air Michael was close to it. I think he could have been this centuries version of Darrell Royal for OU.

Big Red Ron
1/19/2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, he was homeless person prior to coming to OU. I'm glad things are working out for him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 06:02 PM
IronSooner and I still opine as to how good MH would have been. I remember watching him in the Red/White game making one or two interceptions and almost getting 3. Whenever the ball was in the air Michael was close to it. I think he could have been this centuries version of Darrell Royal for OU.

he's going to coach the longhorns? :eek:

Big Red Ron
1/19/2006, 06:41 PM
:mack:
he's going to coach the longhorns? :eek:Boomer Sooner and Cheers!

Jeez has UT ever won a championship without an OU turncoat at the helm?:texan:

Desert Sapper
1/20/2006, 09:08 AM
:mack: Boomer Sooner and Cheers!

Jeez has UT ever won a championship without an OU turncoat at the helm?:texan:

Nope. But then, we haven't won much with former Sooners at the helm, either.

SoonerBBall
1/21/2006, 01:23 PM
he's going to coach the longhorns? :eek:

God I hate you guys.

RacerX
1/21/2006, 04:58 PM
Hawkins told a different story.

Big Red Ron
1/21/2006, 05:01 PM
;)