PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever play broomball

royalfan5
1/18/2006, 03:50 PM
My intramural broomball team, the SAMBA(it's an acronym) Stallions takes the ice tonight. I have no idea what to expect from the game of broomball, so I was looking for some insight. TIA

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 03:52 PM
Stanley used to. He said .....those are the most fun games to play in. The ones where he's the only white dude on the court. It becomes about gaining respect.

soonerbrat
1/18/2006, 03:53 PM
WTF is broomball?

critical_phil
1/18/2006, 03:54 PM
.....so I was looking for some insight. TIA

when you get close to the ball, sweep like hell.........

1stTimeCaller
it's about gaining respect

royalfan5
WTF is broomball?
If lacross and hockey had a love child, that would be broomball.

Fugue
1/18/2006, 03:55 PM
it's about gaining respect

a new SOism? :D

1stTimeCaller
1/18/2006, 03:56 PM
if it is, Pat gets the credit

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/18/2006, 03:56 PM
IronSooner plays it at U of I. Hope that helps!

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 03:57 PM
About 6 years back or so they had some kind of sports competition thing set up outside. One of the events was broomball, alot like the ones done in pro college with the racks of balls.

Well, there "measurements" were way off. I'm pretty sure the goal was higher than regulation, and that their 3 pt line was at least NBA distance, if not farther.

I was there watching with my g/f at the time, a Victoria Secret model. We probably watched 4-5 people go, nobody making more than 3-5. I decided I'd see what I could do. They gave you a couple of warmups while they reracked the balls. I couldn't hit a thing. Caught fire during the actual competition though, and made somewhere around 8-10. Guy running the game said it was the most anybody had made at the Tulsa Fair as far as he knew.

Thats all.

I also had the wiffle ball homerun record, but thats a different story for a different day.

Ike
1/18/2006, 03:57 PM
and here I thought it would be similar to wiffleball but with a broomhandle for a bat....

thats what we used to play as kids.

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 04:02 PM
if it is, Pat gets the credit

Maybe when you're a n00b it's about getting the credit but when you're a veteran it's about getting the respect.

1stTimeCaller
1/18/2006, 04:03 PM
true dat, true dat

soonerbrat
1/18/2006, 04:05 PM
IronSooner plays it at U of I. Hope that helps!

yeah. that was way helpful :rolleyes:

Beef
1/18/2006, 04:05 PM
Don't lick the yellow ice.

Fugue
1/18/2006, 04:06 PM
About 6 years back or so they had some kind of sports competition thing set up outside. One of the events was broomball, alot like the ones done in pro college with the racks of balls.

Well, there "measurements" were way off. I'm pretty sure the goal was higher than regulation, and that their 3 pt line was at least NBA distance, if not farther.

I was there watching with my g/f at the time, a Victoria Secret model. We probably watched 4-5 people go, nobody making more than 3-5. I decided I'd see what I could do. They gave you a couple of warmups while they reracked the balls. I couldn't hit a thing. Caught fire during the actual competition though, and made somewhere around 8-10. Guy running the game said it was the most anybody had made at the Tulsa Fair as far as he knew.

Thats all.

I also had the wiffle ball homerun record, but thats a different story for a different day.

i'm still laughing about the original :rolleyes: . High quality posting MJ.

IB4OU2
1/18/2006, 04:06 PM
I tried to use a big janitor dust mop and they disqualified me........:mad:

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 04:07 PM
<sigh>

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 04:08 PM
i'm still laughing about the original :rolleyes: .

Laugh all you want. Don't hate me cause I can do athletic stuff. :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 04:09 PM
You tell him Eminem.

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 04:11 PM
You tell him Eminem.

This coming from a guy that can't even golf well. :rolleyes:

Fugue
1/18/2006, 04:12 PM

R-E-S-P-E-C-T - Aretha ;)

colleyvillesooner
1/18/2006, 04:14 PM
Like bunting in tee-ball? :D

BTW, when playing broomball, you will over-rate your ability to run on ice and will eat **** at least twice.

SoonerInKCMO
1/18/2006, 06:56 PM
My intramural broomball team, the SAMBA(it's an acronym) Stallions takes the ice tonight. I have no idea what to expect from the game of broomball, so I was looking for some insight. TIA

Do you have your special broomball shoes with the suckers on the bottom?

royalfan5
1/18/2006, 07:21 PM
Do you have your special broomball shoes with the suckers on the bottom?
We're not allowed those in our league.

IronSooner
1/18/2006, 07:22 PM
BTW, when playing broomball, you will over-rate your ability to run on ice and will eat **** at least twice.

Colleyville speaks the truth.

Here's the deal for those who don't know. You play on an ice rink. They had us play cross-court, so across the width instead of down the whole length of the rink. You wear street shoes, no boots or anything that can grip ice (they stipulate this). It's played basically like hockey though - you're running on ice instead of skating, and instead of a stick you have, well, a stick, but at the end of it is a rubber baseball glove-looking thing. (We didn't use real brooms, to my dismay) Instead of a puck you get a small rubber ball maybe tennis ball-size. Each team has 4 or 5 players and a goalie. There is no offsides, so everyone can run up and down the rink wherever they want to go. So you run around trying to pass or dribble (?) the ball down to the rink to your opponent's goal and shoot.

It's really fun, but the first time you will be REALLY sore. My back killed me for days from fighting to stay up after sliding everywhere and almost falling. And you probably will fall a couple times. The rink probably won't be Zamboni'd, so there'll be some snow on the surface and you can get a little traction, but not much, and it changes from spot to spot.

I got really winded the first time I played but got used to it. I think our halves were maybe 10 minutes with a 5 minute halftime. Pretty reasonable.

Hope that helps. Good luck, it'll be fun.

royalfan5
1/19/2006, 09:35 AM
I survived and had a ton of fun, but we lost 5-3 to a team that actually had substititutes. We showed potential, and I had a beautiful goal. I lost a chunk out of my thumb though, and it turns out my working out and lifting weights paid off when it came to actually playing a sport.

colleyvillesooner
1/19/2006, 10:11 AM
I survived and had a ton of fun, but we lost 5-3 to a team that actually had substititutes. We showed potential, and I had a beautiful goal. I lost a chunk out of my thumb though, and it turns out my working out and lifting weights paid off when it came to actually playing a sport.

How many times did you fall down?

royalfan5
1/19/2006, 12:38 PM
How many times did you fall down?
4 or 5 and I'm missing a big chunk of skin out of my thumb.

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 12:41 PM
it turns out my working out and lifting weights paid off when it came to actually playing a sport

This seemed to work well for the whorns, too. :mack:

Okieflyer
1/19/2006, 12:44 PM
WTF is broomball?

Is it like curling? :P

mdklatt
1/19/2006, 12:51 PM
The rink probably won't be Zamboni'd

Screw that. Watching the Zamboni is the best part of going to a hockey game or skating rink.

royalfan5
1/19/2006, 01:05 PM
Screw that. Watching the Zamboni is the best part of going to a hockey game or skating rink.
They had just parked the Zamboni in the hall, had I been intoxicated that would have been really tempting to try out.

IronSooner
1/19/2006, 01:16 PM
4 or 5 and I'm missing a big chunk of skin out of my thumb.

I started taping my fingers after losing some skin the first game out.

5-3's a pretty high score...how long was your game? Ours were usually 1-0 or 2-1. Like baseball before steroids.

royalfan5
1/19/2006, 01:21 PM
I started taping my fingers after losing some skin the first game out.

5-3's a pretty high score...how long was your game? Ours were usually 1-0 or 2-1. Like baseball before steroids.
three 8 min. periods. All the scoring was done in the last two periods. Our goalie wasn't the best since his qualification for being goalie was that he was a chain smoker. That put us in a hole, and we wasted a lot of scoring oppurtunuties.