PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Walker......

The Consumate Showman
1/18/2006, 11:57 AM
will announce his decision to go to either OU or FSU on Friday. Stoops and Co. were in Brandon's home Wednesday making a final push for him to come to OU. - James Hale

Hopefully we can get this kid to come to OU. Word is that he can start from day 1. This would be a big boost to our OL problems.....

CatfishSooner
1/18/2006, 12:51 PM
Come on Brandon...who would you rather play for??? Bobby Bowden or Bobby Stoops?!?!

Sooner in Tampa
1/18/2006, 12:58 PM
The question is this: Do you want to win a championship or talk about it?

The Consumate Showman
1/18/2006, 01:05 PM
The question is this: Do you want to win a championship or talk about it?

Plus, look at OU'd record all time against Bowden and FSU.....:eek: for FSU!

soonerdave79
1/18/2006, 06:09 PM
From Rivals: "In my 11 years here at Coffeyville, we've had four NFL offensive linemen. He's as good or better than all of them. This kid is nasty. He's physical and he goes out there and tries to hurt his opponent." -Coffeyville head coach Sean Cherico

Sweet ;)

Widescreen
1/18/2006, 07:58 PM
will announce his decision to go to either OU or FSU on Friday. Stoops and Co. were in Brandon's home Wednesday making a final push for him to come to OU. - James Hale
There's no way Hale said that. There wasn't a single misspelling. ;)

TripleOption14
1/19/2006, 07:30 AM
From Rivals: "In my 11 years here at Coffeyville, we've had four NFL offensive linemen. He's as good or better than all of them. This kid is nasty. He's physical and he goes out there and tries to hurt his opponent." -Coffeyville head coach Sean Cherico

Sweet ;)

For some reason I can just never put to much stock into JC players "DOMINATING" at the D-1 level. I mean its good to get them because some of them turn out to be good (not dominating) ball players. Can anyone name the last JC guy we had that was completely D-1 ready out of the gates? The only person i could think off is AP just last year. Dude, showed flashes of a really good player when he had the ball.

Although in this case since he is an O-lineman its doesn't matter. ;) I just think if he does decide to go somewhere else OU could get another JC O-lineman who probably is just as good.

Widescreen
1/19/2006, 08:37 AM
Can anyone name the last JC guy we had that was completely D-1 ready out of the gates?
Heupel.

Lance Mitchell was close. So was Nicholson.

GDC
1/19/2006, 08:45 AM
Torrance, CJ and Donte

Harry Beanbag
1/19/2006, 09:15 AM
I just think if he does decide to go somewhere else OU could get another JC O-lineman who probably is just as good.

It won't be this year.

The Consumate Showman
1/19/2006, 10:35 AM
There's no way Hale said that. There wasn't a single misspelling. ;)

I had to translate...:)

TripleOption14
1/19/2006, 03:38 PM
Torrance, CJ and Donte

Yeah, i forgot about Heupel! Damn how could i do that? :)

I don't know if you can count CJ? Isn't he really a BYU product? And the guys like Donte, Torrance, and Lance were all GOOD players for us. But known of them had "it". Whatever "it" is. :) Guys like AD, Roy, Billy, Mark C, JW,Heupel etc etc all had "it". With the expection of Heupel JC guys SEEM to normally just be good role players. If that makes any sense.

p.s. Can someone please tell me what "it" is. And furthermore where can i buy "it." :)

GDC
1/19/2006, 03:42 PM
I'm pretty sure A&M and FSU (especially Weinke) would tell you Torrance had "it". He skull-****ed Weinke so bad at the coin toss they never had a chance.

Salt City Sooner
1/19/2006, 04:13 PM
"I don't know if you can count CJ? Isn't he really a BYU product?"
By that line of reasoning, Heupel's a Weber State product. Me thinks you'd better count CJ. ;)

TripleOption14
1/19/2006, 07:19 PM
By that line of reasoning, Heupel's a Weber State product. Me thinks you'd better count CJ. ;)

Touche! :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2006, 07:46 PM
we'd had pretty good luck with juco OL until after stoops' second class. guys like stockar, o'neal, duncan were pretty good players for us. since then, our juco OL recruiting has been snakebitten to say the least.

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2006, 07:56 PM
we were assured that Chiyoke was a "sure thing" starter......best cover cornerback anywhere.....

RacerX
1/19/2006, 08:01 PM
The Chijoke recruiting really exposes the staff being drawn to measurables. Big, athletic, fast.

TripleOption14
1/19/2006, 08:33 PM
we were assured that Chiyoke was a "sure thing" starter......best cover cornerback anywhere.....

Exactly my point. Turns out CO was nothing more than an average/good CB. imo it seems a lot more times than not JC players are simply average/good players. Which there is nothing wrong with that because it provides you the chance to fill holes fast w/ some sort of experience. But when JC coaches and the coaches who are recruiting these guys start to talk about them being the second coming of guys that are OU legends thats when i start to break out the BS meter. From the way his JC coach talks he's the next Jamaal Brown. Anyone want to buy that bill of goods?

The Consumate Showman
1/19/2006, 09:27 PM
I'm still not quite sold on the Chijoke is not good enough arguement. He is really a 1-on-1 type CB. He doesn't play zone that well, which may lead to questions about his "smarts". I really wouldn't be surprised if he has a good combine if he gets to go and be a Sunday player in the NFL. Kiper and some other NFL scouts/experts(so-called) have said that OU did not utilize his talents in 1-on-1 situations. I don't know......we'll see I guess...

Mr. Freeze
1/19/2006, 11:18 PM
Well Chijiokie was not a fit for our system. CO probably made a mistake by not going to fsu, a traditional physical man to man D. He is a man up corner, had never played zone before, and zone is OUs bread and butter. He probably was venerables biggest coup. Chijiokie is the proverbial eskimo and Venebles was selling ice cubes.

Mjcpr
1/20/2006, 09:40 AM
The Chijoke recruiting really exposes the staff being drawn to measurables. Big, athletic, fast.

Yeah, you really hate to get that kind of player. For a RB, Peterson is pretty dang big, athletic and fast and he turned out alright. I've heard this from others and I'm sure you guys are right in some cases but the fact is, the big time programs recruit the guys that big, athletic and fast because you can't teach that and if you have a player with those qualities and it turns out he's as good as advertised, works hard and is a good person....you've probably got yourself a star.

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2006, 09:46 AM
you know the biggest difference between the OU program of "today" (bob stoops era) and the program of "yesterday"....is the number of NFL draftee's we have now as opposed to before.....its staggering......the argument against Ou in the past was "nobody goes to the NFL" from that program

i would have to think the type of player we recruit, coupled with the style of game we play, has alot to do with the marked increase?

Harry Beanbag
1/20/2006, 09:56 AM
you know the biggest difference between the OU program of "today" (bob stoops era) and the program of "yesterday"....is the number of NFL draftee's we have now as opposed to before.....its staggering......the argument against Ou in the past was "nobody goes to the NFL" from that program

i would have to think the type of player we recruit, coupled with the style of game we play, has alot to do with the marked increase?

Offensively yes, of course the NFL doesn't have option offenses so that stands to reason. Out of all those great teams in the '80s, Keith Jackson, Steve Sewell, and Spencer Tillman are the only offensive players that I can remember in the NFL.

Just last year we had 3 guys drafted on the first day that I believe will be impact players in the League (once they get healthy).

The Consumate Showman
1/20/2006, 11:46 AM
ANY NEWS ON WALKER YET.....Jimmy Hail said this morning that he THOUGHT walker would say today where he was going....

Didn't sound GREAT for OU because Heyll said that Walker seemed to be close to calling FSU home, but after Stoops and Co. went and visited him, Walker started to reconsider....

Just wondering........

NormanPride
1/20/2006, 12:07 PM
No word yet. Last I've heard, he was just kind of confused about where to go. I figure if he's not really into coming here the chances of us running hi off at some point are higher.

BillyBall
1/20/2006, 12:10 PM
I figure if he's not really into coming here the chances of us running him off at some point are higher.

Agreed, we do have a track record....

yur-out
1/20/2006, 12:31 PM
And furthermore where can i buy "it." :)
According to the commericals.........eBay! :)

Sooner in Tampa
1/20/2006, 01:03 PM
What time is he suppose to announce today?

NormanPride
1/20/2006, 01:29 PM
FSU boards say he's not going to. He's going to wait until next week after he can visit with Bowden. Oh well.

TripleOption14
1/20/2006, 02:42 PM
I'm starting to think its time for Stoops and co. to move on! It would be different if this was a guy that was gonna be in the program for 3or4 years but he's a JC. I think we can get the same player somewhere else. I know that recruiting is winding down but couldn't we make a late push on another O-lineman. Who is still out there that OU could target?

NormanPride
1/20/2006, 03:46 PM
The problem is we need depth now, not in a couple years when our incoming freshmen MIGHT be ready. We need a couple good JUCO guys to come in and push the established people so they don't get lazy. This is where Walker comes in.

The Consumate Showman
1/20/2006, 07:07 PM
Anyone heard for sure if Brandon when Brandon is going to commit? If we don't get him are we going to be hot on the trail of Symonette?

Scott D
1/20/2006, 08:04 PM
FWIW, I think we lose Walker to FSU because of Bowden kicking Lewis off of the team.

Ruuuuuufus
1/20/2006, 08:26 PM
I'm starting to think its time for Stoops and co. to move on! It would be different if this was a guy that was gonna be in the program for 3or4 years but he's a JC.

First, we need all the help we can get on the line.
Second, this guy is probably ready to help us the most next year of any of our OL recruits, perhaps any of our recruits at all.
Third, you're statement doesn't even make sense because Walker has three years to play three.

TripleOption14
1/21/2006, 08:23 AM
Second, this guy is probably ready to help us the most next year of any of our OL recruits, perhaps any of our recruits at all.

According to who??

RedStripe
1/21/2006, 10:37 AM
I'm starting to think its time for Stoops and co. to move on! It would be different if this was a guy that was gonna be in the program for 3or4 years but he's a JC. I think we can get the same player somewhere else. I know that recruiting is winding down but couldn't we make a late push on another O-lineman. Who is still out there that OU could target?

He has 3 years to play 3 years. He got a medical redshirt for his freshman year.

KingDavid
1/21/2006, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=Ruuuuuufus]
Second, this guy is probably ready to help us the most next year of any of our OL recruits, perhaps any of our recruits at all./QUOTE]

I agree that he's the most important recruit for us - not just because of his ability or long term impact - McCoy gets the nod if that's the sole criteria; but also because the o-line is where we have the most holes to fill.

I can't imagine what Bowden or FSU can be holding out to him that could be so enticing above and beyond what O.U. has to offer. There's definitely more opportunity to compete to play right away at O.U.

I wonder if Walker might shy away from O.U. because there would be such high expectations right out of the gate. He'd only be the equivalent of a RS sophomore who's never played Div. I, and here some people are putting him in the same sentence with Davin Joseph who'll be a first round selection.

The Consumate Showman
1/21/2006, 05:45 PM
and here some people are putting him in the same sentence with Davin Joseph who'll be a first round selection.

Not quite....2nd round probably, if he has a good combine.

Right now, Chester seems to be the OL of choice from OU.....

snp
1/22/2006, 04:26 PM

Not quite, since, you know, the draft hasn't happened yet.

Davin has great size and ability and was playing out of position this year. Let's not forget that.

The Consumate Showman
1/22/2006, 06:24 PM
Not quite, since, you know, the draft hasn't happened yet.

Davin has great size and ability and was playing out of position this year. Let's not forget that.

Just probabilities based on some mock drafts and NFL draft experts, you know :rolleyes:

KingDavid
1/22/2006, 06:38 PM

More athletic, more upside. You could be right. But my point was to Walker's reasons for not wanting to come here. Joseph was the "all-american stud" in the public's eyes, and it's tough to come in and expect to perform at that level.

snp
1/22/2006, 08:09 PM
Just probabilities based on some mock drafts and NFL draft experts, you know :rolleyes:

Hahaha, oh, right. Mel Kiper is a regular Einstein when it comes to predicting the draft order. Or anyone else for that matter. It's a crapshoot.

All I'm saying is don't act as if you are right when something hasn't even happened. Like you said, the combines are yet to come.

I though Davin looked outta position, as did many others. But he was a 3-year starter on a very impressive OL during that time period meanwhile Chester only held down the starting job for one year on a depleted OL. But he did do a very good job.

Scott D
1/22/2006, 08:16 PM
No decision

Brandon Walker, a junior-college All-American offensive lineman, had hoped to announce his decision on Friday between Florida State and Oklahoma. Not so fat.

''I'm not ready to make a decision today because I'm still confused,” Walker told Scout.com. “Florida State and Oklahoma are even.”

RECRUITING '06

FSU coach Bobby Bowden is scheduled to visit Walker next week.Updates are available daily in the Tallahassee Democrat and online at Tallahassee.com.

It's not written in stone that Walker doesn't want to come here...This is an article from yesterday quoted above. He has an equal chance to come in and start at both schools to be honest.

snp
1/22/2006, 08:39 PM
Still wish Bowden would've stuck by his guns and allowed players to pillage and rape and remain on the team. Sucks he finally got some morality and it could cost us.

Scott D
1/22/2006, 08:50 PM
Bowden didn't have a choice, it's an athletic dept. rule at FSU.

The Consumate Showman
1/22/2006, 09:08 PM
Hahaha, oh, right. Mel Kiper is a regular Einstein when it comes to predicting the draft order. Or anyone else for that matter. It's a crapshoot.

All I'm saying is don't act as if you are right when something hasn't even happened. Like you said, the combines are yet to come.

I though Davin looked outta position, as did many others. But he was a 3-year starter on a very impressive OL during that time period meanwhile Chester only held down the starting job for one year on a depleted OL. But he did do a very good job.

I do agree with you on Davin...

By all accounts, the guy should have been a no-brainer forst round pick. His size and ability are enormous. I'm not going to sit here and try to second guess K. Wilson and Stoops and Co., but maybe all the shuffling around on the OL put Davin out of rythym this year...

OR, maybe it was Jammal Borwn, Wes Sims and Vince Carter who made Davin seem so good 2 years ago. I don't know, it just frustrates the hell outta me that a guy with Davin's size couln't be considered one of the top OG prospects in the draft this year....

Ruuuuuufus
1/22/2006, 09:27 PM
I don't know, it just frustrates the hell outta me that a guy with Davin's size couln't be considered one of the top OG prospects in the draft this year....

He is considered one of the top OG prospects in this year's draft, it's just that there probably won't be one taken in the first round. If there is it will most likely be Jean-Giles from Georgia. Davin should be the 2nd guard taken.

snp
1/22/2006, 09:44 PM
Bowden didn't have a choice, it's an athletic dept. rule at FSU.

What's the rule? First few articles I checked out just said "Bowden kicks off Rouse and Lewis"

Scott D
1/23/2006, 08:24 AM
What's the rule? First few articles I checked out just said "Bowden kicks off Rouse and Lewis"

Quickkid, like I said before, you are a fool and now it shows. Here is some info for you: If a student athlete in NCAA Division I sports fails a drug test for a third time, he or she is suspended Permanently. This means they are not allowed to be a part of D-I any where in the country. So if it is true he failed a third drug test this is why BB dismissed him from the team.

Quickkid you need to go somewhere else with your unwanted knowledge. You are nothing but a cancer to this board as well as FSU. I don't want to hear anymore negative or stupid comments slip out your mouth. Get on down the road kid.

From the FSU athletic department handbook:

Alcohol and Marijuana
1. A first positive test for alcohol or marijuana will result in notification of the Athletics
Director, Head Coach, and parents/guardians of the athlete. Mandatory assessment
with a substance abuse professional beginning at the date of the positive result reading is
required. The athlete will undergo monthly testing for the remainder of their career at
Florida State University.

2. A second positive test for alcohol or marijuana will result in an automatic suspension
from competition. Also, assessment and counseling with a substance abuse professional
as well as monthly testing for the remainder of their career is required. The duration of
suspension is to be determined by the Athletics Director and will be influenced by the
length of the season for the specific sport in which the athlete is involved. The athlete’s
parents/guardians will be notified.

3. A third positive test for alcohol or marijuana will be the basis for automatic dismissal
from the athletics program at Florida State University.

The NCAA rule book does not say anything about a third positive test that is conducted by the school.

I'd been perusing a FSU board to try and get more info regarding the two players being kicked off the team. FWIW, it seems that QuickKid is as popular there as NickZepp is here. :)

snp
1/23/2006, 12:29 PM
Sweet, thanks. On another board a pretty prominent FSU/UF poster just posted that Fred Rouse and Greg Lewis were caught with Cocaine in their system, and other teammates report Rouse doing lines before the orange bowl.

Shucks, too bad we missed out on this kid.

The Consumate Showman
1/23/2006, 04:40 PM
He is considered one of the top OG prospects in this year's draft, it's just that there probably won't be one taken in the first round. If there is it will most likely be Jean-Giles from Georgia. Davin should be the 2nd guard taken.

I just felt like after the year he had with JB, Wes, and Vince that he should have been considered the BEST OG in the country. I mean, to me, it seemed like our only "weak", if you can use that word here, spot on the 04 OL was Chaisson. Davin, JB, Wes, and Vince were AWESOME all year, except that last game, and it just seemed like Davin was a no-brainer sure-fire pick for the top OG spot.....

oh well, he'll get his CA$$$$$$H anyways, and he should have a pretty good opportunity to start wherever he goes.

I kinda felt sorry for him while he was playing ball in Norman though. His story is kind of a sad one to me....:(

NormanPride
1/23/2006, 04:53 PM
FWIW, I've heard Walker is leaning towards us. I think it's his coaches that want him to come here... It's not surprising when you figure that they want what's best for the kid. What's better, OU or Felony State?

The Consumate Showman
1/23/2006, 08:17 PM
FWIW, I've heard Walker is leaning towards us. I think it's his coaches that want him to come here... It's not surprising when you figure that they want what's best for the kid. What's better, OU or Felony State?

Well, the upside is if we lose out on Walker, we still have a chance to land Symonette. I think I'd rather have Walker though.....Symonette has been projected by some of these so called experts to be at least 2 years away from contributing. Walker at least has 3 years not just the usual 2 for a JUCO player....

Thoughts?? :)

sooner13f
1/23/2006, 09:37 PM
Thoughts if Wlaker comes and he can block great. I would say he is a better bet then Symonette. Its hard to project but he has played a higher lever and could start from day one.

BillyBall
1/23/2006, 09:40 PM
The rumor I heard was that......

Rivals.com is currently working with Brandon Walker and the coaches at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College to have his announcement made live on Rivals Radio here some time this week. There aren’t enough details yet ironed out to say this is going to happen 100 percent yet.

Did talk to a coach at Coffeyville that’s very close to Walker’s recruitment, and he said Brandon told him this weekend that he was leaning about 65-70 percent toward Oklahoma. The coaches at Coffeyville and his high school coach are VERY much in the Sooners’ corner right now and helping push the four-star OL toward the Sooners.

One thing that Walker has talked a lot about lately to the coaches is the fact that he would get to block for a Hesiman Trophy candidate at Oklahoma, plus Bob Stoops made a tremendous impression on the Red Raven coaches when he was there for his in-home visit last week.

Bobby Bowden is still scheduled to visit with Walker some time early this week, so as you guys know this could change again.

We’ll keep you posted.

KingDavid
1/24/2006, 02:48 AM
Well, the upside is if we lose out on Walker, we still have a chance to land Symonette. I think I'd rather have Walker though.....Symonette has been projected by some of these so called experts to be at least 2 years away from contributing. Walker at least has 3 years not just the usual 2 for a JUCO player....

Thoughts?? :)

I played in the same private school league as Houston St. Pioux and it's like playing a low-grade 4A caliber in Texas. Symonette will have seen no one with the sort of size, strength, and speed that D-I will bring to his very large body. He's two years away from contributing, if that.

There are some athletes who've made the leap from private schools to D-I and contributed early. But usually they go to second tier schools like TCU or the WAC, etc. The big bodied fellas, if they make it at all, take longer to learn how to compete.

BillyBall
1/25/2006, 09:29 AM
The word on the street is.....

Brandon Walker has elected to make his decision between Oklahoma and Florida State on RivalsRadio this Friday at 8:15 a.m.

Be sure and tune in to find out if the Sooners have landed one of their final three targets.

The Consumate Showman
1/25/2006, 11:51 AM
I played in the same private school league as Houston St. Pioux and it's like playing a low-grade 4A caliber in Texas. Symonette will have seen no one with the sort of size, strength, and speed that D-I will bring to his very large body. He's two years away from contributing, if that.

There are some athletes who've made the leap from private schools to D-I and contributed early. But usually they go to second tier schools like TCU or the WAC, etc. The big bodied fellas, if they make it at all, take longer to learn how to compete.

Small school players can make it on the next level, it all depends on how hard they work and how passionate they are about playing football. Look at Warren Sapp, extremely small town to play football in, now on of the top rated NG's in the NFL.....