PDA

View Full Version : Excellent OU Football Book

Crimson and Orange
1/18/2006, 11:52 AM
Some of you may already have this, but bought my Sooner wife the 2005 book "What It Means to Be A Sooner" for Christmas, and it's a really fine collection of stories by legendary OU players about their time at OU and their memories. The stories are organized by decade and include chapters by just about every living Sooner football legend, up through Jason White. Barry and Bob have sections in there as well. It's really good stuff.

OU is not "my" team, but when I picked this up the other day and started reading, it was hard to put down. It's a great tribute to a great program.

ultimatesooner1
1/18/2006, 12:11 PM
^
|

closet sooner

Crimson and Orange
1/18/2006, 12:20 PM
closet sooner

Heh. My college friends would laugh hysterically at that idea.

Being married to a Sooner has given me a great respect for the program and the people in it.

picasso
1/18/2006, 12:47 PM
never hoid of it. will keep an eye out for it and add it to the list of 20-something books I have lined up to read.

snp
1/18/2006, 12:56 PM
I still need to finish the newest A Song of Ice and Fire: A Feast for Crows. Then Barry's book is next. This book can be 3rd on my list. Thanks.

Oh, and I guess whatever I have to read for classes is bumped down to 4-11.

TheLadiesMike
1/18/2006, 09:07 PM
Last time I went to Border's in Norman this book was on display on the first table as you walk in, on the left, front edge.

BigGreenSooner
1/18/2006, 09:27 PM
I too am reading this book, and it's wonderful! A friend bought me the book at a book exchange for $1, can't imagine why it only went for $1 in Austin, TX.... Anyways, I highly recommend it. It's a wonderful history lesson on past Sooner players and coaches.

GDC
1/18/2006, 09:29 PM
It needed better editing. Who the **** is Andre Woolfork?

I like that it's related first person by the players themselves.

chriscappel
1/18/2006, 09:35 PM
^
|

closet sooner

Spek!!!!

josh09
1/18/2006, 10:24 PM
Heh. My college friends would laugh hysterically at that idea.

Being married to a Sooner has given me a great respect for the program and the people in it.

why thank you sir, your very classy.

you stay classy....

...san diego.

josh09
1/18/2006, 10:25 PM
sorry i just had to do that

josh09
1/18/2006, 10:25 PM
but ya, that book's great. ive read it all, front to back.

Flagstaffsooner
1/19/2006, 12:03 AM
Glad to hear that it is good. I just got it in the mail. Something to read in the long months ahead.

Brasky7
1/19/2006, 12:11 AM
i knew it sounded familiar, like perhaps i owned it... and it turns out i got it for christmas, i'm lookin forward to readin it...

Legendarybud
1/19/2006, 01:50 AM
This is a case of it depends on where you live. I, too, looked for it in Borders and not only did they not have a single copy they had never even heard of it. I had a hard time making the clerk understand the word "Sooner." The Borders I visited lies south of the Red River in a city known as Dallas. I had to special order it to get a copy.

It came in last week, and I have enjoyed reading it and have added it to my collection of OU books. To me, the best chapters were the ones that detailed the early days of the program, but then I remember the 50's and Bud will always be one of my heroes. Another book that is similar to this is AN AUTUMN REMEMBERED by Gary King. It is now out of print and extremely hard to find and sells for many times its original price. If any of you own it or PRESIDENT'S CAN'T PUNT, hang on to them. They are both very valuable.

soonerhubs
1/19/2006, 02:15 AM
I am reading that book off and on. The good thing about that book is that you can read it a few players at a time. It's broken up well. It's cool to read first hand some of the struggles these players went through to get to their high levels of performance and success.

batonrougesooner
1/19/2006, 03:24 AM
I have this book next to the ****ter.

I think I'll go read it now.

I agree it is a good book.

soonerboy112
1/21/2006, 11:35 PM
Sounds good I'll have to check it out...any of yall ever read heupel's book The Road To Glory? I read that one in 4th grade and have tried to model myself after him ever since, unfortunately that means I now throw up before every game like he did...and even more unfortunate is the fact that my highschool runs the option now...anyone know if jamelle holloway has a book out?

OUTrumpet
1/22/2006, 01:42 AM
My dad got that for me for Christmas. I have autographs now from Stoops, Switzer, Jason White, and Billy Simms on it.

snp
1/22/2006, 05:14 AM
Sounds good I'll have to check it out...any of yall ever read heupel's book The Road To Glory? I read that one in 4th grade and have tried to model myself after him ever since, unfortunately that means I now throw up before every game like he did...and even more unfortunate is the fact that my highschool runs the option now...anyone know if jamelle holloway has a book out?

How old are you? 9th grade?

I think you're in the lead for youngest SF.com poster. Here, have some spek. Even though you're making me feel like a geezer, and I'm only 22.

Flagstaffsooner
1/22/2006, 05:32 AM
What It Means To be a SOONER (http://www.triumphbooks.com/WhatItMeans_Sooner_release.htm)

soonerboy112
1/22/2006, 11:14 AM
How old are you? 9th grade?

I think you're in the lead for youngest SF.com poster. Here, have some spek. Even though you're making me feel like a geezer, and I'm only 22.

Haha, 10th actually, but thanks for the spek

AwaySooner
1/23/2006, 03:06 PM
Amazon has them for $14 used like new. Also check out Tales from the Sooner Sidelines by Jay C. Upchurch.

What It Means To be a SOONER (http://www.triumphbooks.com/WhatItMeans_Sooner_release.htm)