PDA

View Full Version : Something cool happend to me yesterday.

Red October
1/18/2006, 11:32 AM
Before I hit the weights at the gym, I usually go to the basketball court to shoot some hoops and warm up, maybe about 10 minutes at the most. My back was feeling good and I got a good workout.

Right after I started to shoot hoops, (it was just me and one other guy on the court) this huge dude shows up with his personal trainer, and they run drills on the side of the court; forwards, backwards, etc...

I stayed on the court longer than ususal because I was hitting the 3 pointers, 18 feet, (not 15) like money. :D I was on fire....at one point I hit 3 in a row. I missed one, then hit 3 more in a row. :D :D :D . It was a personal best for me. :D So this huge tall dude fed me a couple of balls and says, "Damn, you hot today" So I say thanks and shoot a few more before I hit the weights. I didnt know who the heck the guy was, but he was a hell of a lot taller than me, and I am 6'3". I figured he was a former college player or something.

Later, after the big dude left, I finally asked one of the staff who the dude was, and turns out is was Stromile Swift. Star forward and for the Rockets. He was an all-star for Memphis a few years ago. Pretty cool huh?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/stromile_swift/index.html?nav=page

This ranks up there when I asked Roger Starbauch to autograph a football, (which he did) and instead of handing the ball back to me, he told me to run a route, and he threw it to me, 10 yars for a 1st down!!! :D :D :D :D

JohnnyMack
1/18/2006, 11:34 AM
Dear Sports Illustrated,

I never thought this would happen to me,

handcrafted
1/18/2006, 11:34 AM
Oh. I thought you were going to say that the US Navy was hunting for you. :D

(bada bing)

picasso
1/18/2006, 11:35 AM
congrats on hitting 3 20 footers in a row. harkens me back to my 6th grade years.;)

you guys remember Mike Harris who played guard for Billy Tubbs? He spent a semester at NSU, I played a ton of pickup ball with him.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 11:36 AM
Something cool happened to me yesterday too.
I took the dogs out to pee in my underwear.
Not to pee in my underwear, but pee in the yard.
Anyway, it was cold.

fadada1
1/18/2006, 12:11 PM
don't let him fool you, boys. red october was playing nerf basketball with all the continental airplane fixer guys on their lunch break.

Rhino
1/18/2006, 12:16 PM
That ranks right up there with the time I got schooled by Alex Spaulding at the Y.

fadada1
1/18/2006, 12:21 PM
i played pick-up at the huff n' puff with brent price, kermit holmes, and jeff webster one time. price shot 3 pointers from half-court. wester and holmes are tall.

Rhino
1/18/2006, 12:22 PM
Eric Martin - now he could shot the 3.

Jameel Haywood was intimidating as hell.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2006, 12:33 PM
I used to watch Stacy King play pick up games at the Fort Sill gym all the time....

i was too white at the time to get in a game though....

fadada1
1/18/2006, 12:49 PM
have you since become "chocolate"????

colleyvillesooner
1/18/2006, 12:50 PM
I used to watch Stacy King play pick up games at the Fort Sill gym all the time....

As opposed to the dark complexion you got going now, huh? ;)

edit: ****.

picasso
1/18/2006, 12:55 PM
one year, at the Tulsa State Fair (back when I used to go to the crapfest) I was doing the free throw shoot when I's look next to me and see there's one Wayman Tisdale shooting it up.:D
He had his daughter on his shoulder and was one handing them through the bucket. Of course, being left handed myself, the shooting looked nearly the same.;)

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2006, 01:01 PM
by "not white enough", i meant i couldnt play ball......at least not well enough to run with those guys

however, i practiced lots and lots and improved just enough that i was able to blow out my knee while running a p/u game with a bunch of 18 year olds...

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 01:09 PM

Ah.....those are the most fun games I play in. The ones where I'm the only white dude on the court. It becomes about gaining respect.

Pieces Hit
1/18/2006, 01:13 PM
We are rapidly becoming an athletic minority.

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 01:13 PM
one year, at the Tulsa State Fair (back when I used to go to the crapfest) I was doing the free throw shoot when I's look next to me and see there's one Wayman Tisdale shooting it up.:D
He had his daughter on his shoulder and was one handing them through the bucket. Of course, being left handed myself, the shooting looked nearly the same.;)

About 6 years back or so they had some kind of sports competition thing set up outside. One of the events was a 3 pt contest, alot like the ones done in pro college with the racks of balls.

Well, there "measurements" were way off. I'm pretty sure the goal was higher than regulation, and that their 3 pt line was at least NBA distance, if not farther.

I was there watching with my g/f at the time. We probably watched 4-5 people go, nobody making more than 3-5. I decided I'd see what I could do. They gave you a couple of warmups while they reracked the balls. I couldn't hit a thing. Caught fire during the actual competition though, and made somewhere around 8-10. Guy running the game said it was the most anybody had made at the Tulsa Fair as far as he knew.

Thats all.

I also had the wiffle ball homerun record, but thats a different story for a different day.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/18/2006, 01:21 PM
This ranks up there when I asked Roger Starbauch to autograph a football, (which he did) and instead of handing the ball back to me, he told me to run a route, and he threw it to me, 10 yars for a 1st down!!! :D :D :D :D

He did that during a game? Holy crap, that's awesome. Did you take the hit or run out of bounds?

GDC
1/18/2006, 01:27 PM
I used to toss a ball around with NFL Hall of Famer Don Maynard, because I almost married his step-daughter.

IB4OU2
1/18/2006, 01:33 PM
I once had a wheelchair race with Steven Hawking............he kicked my arse.

Fugue
1/18/2006, 01:51 PM
I was a normal teenage jackass fresh out of highschool and traveling in Germany. Buddy and I go into a small cafe in Oberammergau(sp?). There is hardly any seating so we join another couple from America. The man has a Cleveland Browns logo on his sweater. I ask something brilliant like, "Brown's fan eh?". (Like someone wearing Browns gear in Germany would be anything else). He turns out to be Bill Glass, a pro-bowl DE from the 60's.
Nice guy.

Red October
1/18/2006, 01:58 PM
I once had a wheelchair race with Steven Hawking............he kicked my arse.

Diet Pepsi through the nose hurts...:P

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 02:33 PM
Ah.....those are the most fun games I play in. The ones where I'm the only white dude on the court. It becomes about gaining respect.

:rolleyes:

apusooner
1/18/2006, 02:46 PM
I played a pick up game against Jeremy Shockey at the huff once. It was while he still played for miami. I blocked one of his shots and it ****ed him off. He then proceeded to dunk on my face the next time down the court. He thought he was awesome. Way to go Shockey, you dunked on a band nerd.

mdklatt
1/18/2006, 02:59 PM
Right after I started to shoot hoops, (it was just me and one other guy on the court) this huge dude shows up with his personal trainer, and they run drills on the side of the court; forwards, backwards, etc...

So this huge tall dude fed me a couple of balls and says, "Damn, you hot today. Here are the keys to my $43,000 Yukon; you deserve it more than I do."

Later, after the big dude left, I finally asked one of the staff who the dude was, and turns out is was Stromile Swift. Star forward and for the Rockets.

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 04:09 PM

Pat, I'd beat you 12 to zip. You know it. I know it. And your wife knows it.

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 04:11 PM
Pat, I'd beat you 12 to zip. You know it. I know it. And your wife knows it.

I'm a short, forty year old white dude that smokes.

Can it get any worse than 12-0, Baby Jordan?

:D

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2006, 04:12 PM

i actually know what he's talking about......they just assume you cant play, and then when you drain a few shots over the top of some black guy, get some rebounds, and feed a few passes to the guy scoring all the buckets,......they start paying attention

you gotta represent yo

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 04:12 PM
I'm a short, forty year old white dude that smokes.

Can it get any worse than 12-0, Baby Jordan?

THEN QUIT TALKIN' SMACK!!!!! Geez. :D

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 04:13 PM
i actually know what he's talking about......they just assume you cant play, and then when you drain a few shots over the top of some black guy, get some rebounds, and feed a few passes to the guy scoring all the buckets,......they start paying attention

you gotta represent yo

JK's the whitest dude in here, and he gets it. :D

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2006, 04:14 PM
dude i could play some ball about 5-10 years ago, i went to the gym everyday at lunch and on some evenings....

IB4OU2
1/18/2006, 04:16 PM

Bro., I met him and he's not the whitest dude in here...........

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 06:35 PM

I know what you meant too. There's a whole movie about it called 8 Mile. That's why I called you Eminem.

Stanley1
1/18/2006, 07:03 PM
I know what you meant too. There's a whole movie about it called 8 Mile. That's why I called you Eminem.

I'm not try'na rap, just get my ball on. Geez. :D

Mjcpr
1/18/2006, 07:15 PM
I'm not try'na rap, just get my ball on. Geez. :D

It doesn't matter the game, it's just about the respect, yo.

trwxxa
1/18/2006, 10:34 PM
Later, after the big dude left, I finally asked one of the staff who the dude was, and turns out is was Stromile Swift. Star forward and for the Rockets. He was an all-star for Memphis a few years ago. Pretty cool huh?

Pretty difficult to convince Rockets fans of his stature this year:(

BoogercountySooner
1/19/2006, 05:57 AM
Bro., I met him and he's not the whitest dude in here...........
Hey I get some sun sometimes besides I think we have the same parents!;)