PDA

View Full Version : Gary Gibbs could land New Orleans DC job.

TMcGee86
1/17/2006, 10:39 PM
Good for him if it works out.

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Cowboys assistant coach Sean Payton said Tuesday he can’t wait to start his new job as New Orleans Saints head coach.

Payton, 42, who accepted the position about 4:30 p.m., said a news conference to formally introduce him as Saints head coach will be held at noon Wednesday at the team’s facility in Metarie, La.

“It’s an exciting time, and I’m looking forward to it,” Payton told The Dallas Morning News as he left the club’s Valley Ranch training complex. “I’ve enjoyed my three years in Dallas, and I’ve learned a lot from working with a coach like Bill Parcells.”

Payton’s new job means the Cowboys will probably be looking for a play caller. They could also be looking for a couple of assistant coaches.

Payton has spoken to the Cowboys about allowing linebackers coach Gary Gibbs and offensive line coach and running game coordinator Tony Sparano to join him in New Orleans as coordinators. Each is under contract with the Cowboys, who do not have to let them leave even if the new jobs represent promotions.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Payton said. “It’s going to take a few days to see what direction we’re going with the coordinators or if anyone will come with me.”

Owner Jerry Jones and coach Bill Parcells could not be reached for comment.

soonerlaw
1/17/2006, 11:02 PM
Does anyone if Gibbs is a nice guy? I saw him at a Kroger's grocery store here in Las Colinas on Sunday, and I was even wearing an OU T-shirt, and the guy did not so much as smirk at me. I thought about going up to him and saying hello, but I don't ever remember him being too personable. Regardless, he has earned a lot of respect here with the Cowboys and would do a good job whereever he goes.

okienole3
1/18/2006, 12:02 AM
Does anyone if Gibbs is a nice guy? I saw him at a Kroger's grocery store here in Las Colinas on Sunday, and I was even wearing an OU T-shirt, and the guy did not so much as smirk at me. I thought about going up to him and saying hello, but I don't ever remember him being too personable. Regardless, he has earned a lot of respect here with the Cowboys and would do a good job whereever he goes.

What did you expect him to do give you a high five and a hug? I used to work for Harold's, but I don't go around smiling and saying hi to every person I see in a Harold's shirt. He is a nice guy.

Sources tell me that it is close to a done deal.

NickZeppelin
1/18/2006, 12:11 AM
He probably still loves OU he played here coached here as an assistant and of course was the head coach. But I don't think he really cares about everyone that wears and OU shirt. What's he supposed to do say he coached/played there? He has more things to worry about like how to get his players good enough to stop an NFL offense.

soonerlaw
1/18/2006, 09:57 AM
No, its not like I wanted him to invite me over for dinner or anything. My point was that atleast to me, he appeared very unapproachable. I'm sure if any of you saw Switzer chillin at Othello's you would at least want to say hello. Any Barry would probably welcome that, because he is that type of guy. It was the same with me and Gibbs, but I wasn't sure if he was a very private individual, or more outgoing, like Barry. That's all I was asking.

okienole3
1/18/2006, 09:58 AM
There is nothing the Switz likes more than attention. I am sure coach Gibbs would have shook your hand and said hello if you had approached him.

cowboys70
1/18/2006, 09:59 AM
What did you expect him to do give you a high five and a hug? I used to work for Harold's, but I don't go around smiling and saying hi to every person I see in a Harold's shirt. He is a nice guy.

Sources tell me that it is close to a done deal.

I hope you didn't work on commision.

Desert Sapper
1/18/2006, 10:22 AM
I'm glad he may get the shot to be an NFL DC. He was a pretty good coach for us, considering the circumstances.

Sooner in Tampa
1/18/2006, 10:26 AM
I doubt that the NO job is a very good deal...they suck from the top down.

Desert Sapper
1/18/2006, 10:36 AM

Which is exactly why it presents such a unique opportunity for him.

soonerjoker
1/19/2006, 10:45 AM
Parcells said he could go. at least, he'll be making better money.

okienole3
1/23/2006, 09:28 PM
Done deal.

Collier11
1/23/2006, 11:02 PM
There is nothing the Switz likes more than attention. I am sure coach Gibbs would have shook your hand and said hello if you had approached him.

Its inevitable that switz would be a attention hound...the guy runs off of grey goose so of course he would be a little more outgoing than most

Paperclip
1/23/2006, 11:27 PM
Oh my. Nice research SportsCenter. "New Orleans is set to hire LSU DC as their new defensive coordinator." Good grief, how long along was that?

bluedogok
1/24/2006, 12:13 AM
On the Sportscenter Upate on ESPN Radio tonight they said former Oklahoma Head Coach Gary Gibbs, never mentioned anywhere else.

LSUdeek
1/24/2006, 12:38 AM
Oh my. Nice research SportsCenter. "New Orleans is set to hire LSU DC as their new defensive coordinator." Good grief, how long along was that?

00-01.. Nobody but Saban coordinated LSU's defense during that time though.

okienole3
1/24/2006, 12:47 AM
Look for another former Sooner Defensive Coordinator to be named to that staff.

Tear Down This Wall
1/24/2006, 12:12 PM

After Gibbs was fired, Adrian Cooper said Gibbs was too distant from the players. He gave exmpales such as Gibbs calling Cooper and looking for a player (I think it was Kenyon Rasheed). When Cooper told him Rasheed wasn't there, Gibbs hung up. No, "Hey, Adrian, could you tell him to call me" or "How are you doing today?" etc.

Anyway, the thing to keep in mind about Gibbs tenure is the 1992 player walkout and the 1994 Copper Bowl.

In 1992, players were mad that Gibbs said an injured Gundy would start instead of Steve Collins, who had filled in for Gundy againt Missouri and led OU to a 51-17 rout of the Tigers. The next game was against Oklahoma State. We were 5-3-1 at the time and needed only a victory over the Pokes, who were about to cap a fourth consecutive losing season, to qualify for a bowl game.

So, Gibbs announced Gundy would start despite the injury and the players decided not to practice. Gibbs called a team meeting, where the players aired their grievances. Gibbs pretended to listen, started Gundy anyway, and we tied a crappy OSU team, 15-15. We finished the season getting our butts beat 33-9 by Nebraska.

In 1994, Gibbs was busy trying to make option QB Garrick McGee a drop back passer. The result was a 6-5 record. Asshat athletic director Donnie Duncan, who was presiding over a department operating in the red, hired Howard Schnellenbastard but still accepted a bid to play in the crappy Copper Bowl.

I recall vividly player ignoring coaches as they came off the field. One particularly memorable scene was Gibbs himself trying to say something to cornerback Wendell Davis as he came off the field. Davis never looked at him and just walked in the opposite directions with Gibbs following along. BYU whipped us, 31-6...although they could have scored twice that.

No one was happier than me when Gibbs left. I was so freaking happy I bought season tickets the next spring.

Big Red Ron
1/24/2006, 12:42 PM
I saw Coach Gibbs walking in Downtown OKC a few years ago. I just say "Hey Coach." as I walked by and he smiled and said "how ya doin." He was really nice.

mrowl
1/24/2006, 12:55 PM

it will be a great job when they are in LA in '07