PDA

View Full Version : A question for my fellow soonerfan ladies

MamaMia
1/17/2006, 10:38 PM
I went to the city today and it looks as though I'll be having a total hysterectomy. My family doctor has refered me to a GYN surgeon. I'm enemic right now so they're trying to fix that before I have my appointment with him or her.

I dont know anyone very well who has had one. I'm kinda scared.

crawfish
1/17/2006, 10:54 PM
I assume by "total" that they're removing both ovaries?

My wife had one last year. The good news is that the issues that caused the surgery are 100% gone and she feels worlds better. The bad news is that there ARE side effects, although those seem to be different for every woman.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. :(

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2006, 10:59 PM
my ex wife had a total....she had no major problems afterwards....i assume she's still on premarin....

she was alot friendlier one week a month after the surgery, i do remember that

JohnnyMack
1/17/2006, 11:07 PM
my ex wife had a total....she had no major problems afterwards....i assume she's still crazy....

;)

OKC Sooner
1/17/2006, 11:30 PM
I went to the city today and it looks as though I'll be having a total hysterectomy. My family doctor has refered me to a GYN surgeon. I'm enemic right now so they're trying to fix that before I have my appointment with him or her.

I dont know anyone very well who has had one. I'm kinda scared.
Bless your heart, Mom, I know how you feel. Though I'm a pointer rather than a setter and therefore have different plumbing, I'm 11 days out from a quintuple-coronary bypass so I can SOOO identify with the major surgery thing.

The good news is that medical technology has made gigantic leaps in the last few years, and that procedures which were once considered quite risky are now considered fairly routine. I remember when 'open heart surgery' was a miracle on par with the Virgin Birth. Now, unless I'm mistaken, coronary bypass is the most common surgery done.

Ask around and find some good pro's, you should be fine. Yes, it'll be scary and a huge hassle, but you'll be fixed up in plenty of time to see OU kick Texas' butt next year. Once again, God bless and here's a hug for ya... just don't hug back too hard ;)

bigdsooner
1/18/2006, 12:04 AM
my sister had a full one bout a year ago, i never heard her complain from it at all. prayers for ya

PhxSooner
1/18/2006, 12:19 AM
I have a good friend who had one several years ago. The surgery went great, but she tried to get back to her "normal" schedule too fast, and had some minor problems. As long as you don't push yourself and can be patient with your recovery, I'm sure you'll be fine.:)

Tailwind
1/18/2006, 12:28 AM
I had a total "radical" hysterectomy about 3 years ago. It took 6 weeks to recover, but I have never felt better. You may be able to have it done lapriscopically, which means that you won't have a huge scar. Your Doc may want you to do hormone therapy for awhile afterwards....but can cause heart issues and bloodclots....if you are prone to them. I know the feeling of being scared....or more likely, terrified, but the odds are good that you will be fine. Good luck, and try not to worry too much.

MamaMia
1/18/2006, 12:42 AM
Thanks everybody. I'm hoping that my hormones dont get all testosteronish and out of whack. I do not want a mustache or ear hair and stuff, and I have heard stories. I'm already battling my weight from a slowing metabolism. I dont want any other issues. I was told that it will throw you into menapause. Thats creepy.

The scarey part is that I have a very very low pain tolerance. I do not like pain at all. Six weeks? Thats a long time to be down.

Tailwind
1/18/2006, 12:48 AM
Thanks everybody. I'm hoping that my hormones dont get all testosteronish and out of whack. I do not want a mustache or ear hair and stuff, and I have heard stories. I'm already battling my weight from a slowing metabolism. I dont want any other issues. I was told that it will throw you into menapause. Thats creepy.

The scarey part is that I have a very very low pain tolerance. I do not like pain at all. Six weeks? Thats a long time to be down.

It took six weeks because they took a lot more stuff out than is usual, because of uterine cancer. I had some complications because of the lymph nodes they took. Ear hair? I had not heard of that, but I don't have any. Beware of horror stories told by "well-meaning" friends. As for pain.....they give you stuff for that.

bigdsooner
1/18/2006, 12:52 AM

you made it thru the first 4 weeks of the season didnt ya, that was pretty painful;) , dont worry, im sure you'll be in good hands. my sister isnt real good with pain either...during recovery she was sore, but she never complained from pain

MamaMia
1/18/2006, 01:06 AM
The first thing I did think of though was, thank God in Heaven above that its not football season or even spring practice, Fan Appreciation Day or the Red and White game. :D

I dont even remember where I heard all the hormone stuff. Its probably not true. I know I'm most likely more afraid than I should be. I hate needles too. I'm totally needle phobic. I'm a good patient though. In real life I'm usually very shy. I hope I'm not in the hospital too long. My dog is 14 1/2 yrs old and wont understand. He will be really worried. He needs me to take care of him. I cant be gone too long.

GottaHavePride
1/18/2006, 01:15 AM
Good luck. Find a good surgeon and you should be fine. Again, just don't try to push yourself to recover faster - it doesn't usually help.

Blue
1/18/2006, 01:28 AM
Good luck. Find a good surgeon and you should be fine. Again, just don't try to push yourself to recover faster - it doesn't usually help.

You're so wise for your years GHP. When did you have your ovaries removed? ;)

ultimatesooner1
1/18/2006, 09:46 AM
gf's mom had one about a year ago, she had to stay home & relax for a few days and had no problems whatsoever

OUDoc
1/18/2006, 10:25 AM
My mom had a total hysterectomy and had no problems. You might want to contact her OB/GYN if he ever gets out of prison. (http://www.newsok.com/news/hamilton)
http://www.newsok.com/permimages/new_hamilton_top.jpg
Good luck, Mom. You'll be fine. :)

olevetonahill
1/18/2006, 12:32 PM
Good luck Mom

IB4OU2
1/18/2006, 12:36 PM
The first thing I did think of though was, thank God in Heaven above that its not football season or even spring practice, Fan Appreciation Day or the Red and White game. :D

I dont even remember where I heard all the hormone stuff. Its probably not true. I know I'm most likely more afraid than I should be. I hate needles too. I'm totally needle phobic. I'm a good patient though. In real life I'm usually very shy. I hope I'm not in the hospital too long. My dog is 14 1/2 yrs old and wont understand. He will be really worried. He needs me to take care of him. I cant be gone too long.

The pup will be O.K. You take care of you so you can be there for him and everyone else and us too. I'll be thinking about you and praying everything will be allright, God Bless!

soonerbrat
1/18/2006, 12:46 PM
good luck mom...they'll probably only keep you in the hospital a day or two. It'll all be good :)

MamaMia
1/18/2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks everybody. I feel much better now. I know it may sound mushy, but its really nice to have you all for pen pals. :)

soonerbrat
1/18/2006, 08:21 PM
take your computer to the hospital..we'll keep you company :D

nmsoonergirl
1/18/2006, 08:58 PM
Mom,
Somehow I'm willing to bet that you are tougher than you think. Come on, you've survived motherhood so far! Best of luck, you'll do great, and we'll all be sending you good thoughts!

BajaOklahoma
1/18/2006, 09:42 PM
PM